Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1031. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
[...]

I can confirm this. Idk what a computer expert is, but I'm more capable than 98% of people atleast. Back when i had to compile it myself that was a huge pain. I'm so glad i could just grab some binaries this time. It was easier with binaries but still a pain. It needed so many dependencies. I wasnt about to sit there and install them all manually one at a time so i went looking for a solution and learned about aptitude. It was a great find, im glad to know about aptitude now. But yea i mean that was a process and involved some research and some time, i had to search around to find something like aptitude then i had to spend a little bit of time with it learning how it worked. Its a very real barrier that not everyone can overcome.

Out of curiosity, what OS do you use? Because typically you'd always use a packet manager (like aptitude), and if you don't it's consciously and on purpose (slackware for instance).

Linux mint. I was just using the standard package manager aptget. It didn't install dependencies automatically.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
[...]

I can confirm this. Idk what a computer expert is, but I'm more capable than 98% of people atleast. Back when i had to compile it myself that was a huge pain. I'm so glad i could just grab some binaries this time. It was easier with binaries but still a pain. It needed so many dependencies. I wasnt about to sit there and install them all manually one at a time so i went looking for a solution and learned about aptitude. It was a great find, im glad to know about aptitude now. But yea i mean that was a process and involved some research and some time, i had to search around to find something like aptitude then i had to spend a little bit of time with it learning how it worked. Its a very real barrier that not everyone can overcome.

Out of curiosity, what OS do you use? Because typically you'd always use a packet manager (like aptitude), and if you don't it's consciously and on purpose (slackware for instance).
Activity: 283
Merit: 250
Monero is like Bitcoin in 2009/2010, I risk to say we have more "early adopters" with Monero than Bitcoin had at that time just because the considerable momentum crypto got thanks to Bitcoin success.
That means, no 10,000 Moneroj for a  pizza.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

It is not a Bitcoin clone, and the wallet is only officially available via command line – no graphical user interface is available for this piece of technology yet.

lol, why do they have to mention it doesn't have a GUI? How come this is always so important.
Shouldn't the privacy features be more important in a article such as this one?

Its comical with the GUI wallet.  That's all anyone ever picks on.

I was a computer expert a few years back and honestly had problems installing the wallet(s) on my Mac. I did finally get it installed but didn't have faith in the installation due to so many problems I experienced. (I got the blockchain downloaded no problem.) I was only able to run the wallet by (excuse my lack of terms here) double clicking an exe file, not from an actual installation. (Something about my Mac environment stopped me from being able to do a true install and it was in the instructions but I couldn't get past it.) So, I didn't want to chance using it. I moved half my XMR's from Poloniex to Mintpal and the latter are history (and it was a nice chunk for me). Rather, those were history as I got them
returned a few weeks back, as did others. Anyway, Had there been an online wallet or even a wallet less problematic on my Mac, I wouldn't have moved any to Mintpal - but my bad as I didn't research the place. It was literally like within a week or two of the move!

I've mined BTC, run a full node, worked in IT, etc. so I really should have figured out the wallet problem within a few hours, didn't, so gave up. I went beyond a typical user install imo.

Suffice to say, there is a whole world of users out there who want a GUI (nothing command line except for higher functionality) due to ease of use. Knowing I was a computer expert and should have figured it out I can understand how lack of a GUI is really holding people back (at least if they experienced problems on install like me, Windows I hadn't heard of being problematic.)

IAS

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile

It is not a Bitcoin clone, and the wallet is only officially available via command line – no graphical user interface is available for this piece of technology yet.

lol, why do they have to mention it doesn't have a GUI? How come this is always so important.

I was a computer expert a few years back and honestly had problems installing the wallet(s) on my Mac. I did finally get it installed but didn't have faith in the installation due to so many problems I experienced. (I got the blockchain downloaded no problem.) I was only able to run the wallet by (excuse my lack of terms here) double clicking an exe file, not from an actual installation. (Something about my Mac environment stopped me from being able to do a true install and it was in the instructions but I couldn't get past it.) So, I didn't want to chance using it. I moved half my XMR's from Poloniex to Mintpal and the latter are history (and it was a nice chunk for me). Rather, those were history as I got them
returned a few weeks back, as did others. Anyway, Had there been an online wallet or even a wallet less problematic on my Mac, I wouldn't have moved any to Mintpal - but my bad as I didn't research the place. It was literally like within a week or two of the move!

I've mined BTC, run a full node, worked in IT, etc. so I really should have figured out the wallet problem within a few hours, didn't, so gave up. I went beyond a typical user install imo.

Suffice to say, there is a whole world of users out there who want a GUI (nothing command line except for higher functionality) due to ease of use. Knowing I was a computer expert and should have figured it out I can understand how lack of a GUI is really holding people back (at least if they experienced problems on install like me, Windows I hadn't heard of being problematic.)

IAS
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Monero one rights coin and secure too

CAN USE FEARLESS
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

In reality It is a good thing for us. Think about it.

I have never seen more short sighted people than in this scene. They literally are worse than corporate raiders and give corrupt politicians a run for their money.
legendary
Activity: 1456

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Dude, i linked you the branch that uses a Database and it eats only a very small amount of RAM and has been mentioned a hundred times at least in this thread Wink

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Yes. If you don't have enough memory backing, the kernel will kill (almost) whatever process it thinks will help get the system best. Since bitmonerod is a hog, it's often the sacrifice choice. Firefox is also a good one. You may want to temporarily stop memory hungry processes while bitmonerod is running.

Thanks.  I was familiar with the concept of an OOM killer.  I'm a newb at Monero, not Unix / Linux.  So I was really asking if bitmonerod was expected to be a memory hog.

Holy shit, it keeps the **whole blockchain** in memory!  This software is even more primitive than I thought.

I didn't have any swap as I didn't want to wear out my laptop's SSD.  I've now added a 2TB USB3 disk as encrypted swap while I'm playing with Monero.

legendary
Activity: 1442
Antifragile
My first cross post but I'd really like some input from any of your regarding my question about buying a cheaper smart phone for spending BTC (and Monero).
I didn't mention Monero in the thread as that just crossed my mind. Having the ability at least makes it possible, when you go the shops and such
that do except BTC. I guess I need to consider the O.S. should Monero put out a wallet app for smart phones.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1006244.new#new

Appreciated,
Its about sharing
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.385984]  [] out_of_memory+0x4cd/0x510
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386247] Out of memory: Kill process 7956 (bitmonerod) score 641 or sacrifice child
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386249] Killed process 7956 (bitmonerod) total-vm:6039844kB, anon-rss:5153036kB, file-rss:0kB

This is on my workstation with 8 GiB RAM.  Is this a known issue?

Yes. If you don't have enough memory backing, the kernel will kill (almost) whatever process it thinks will help get the system best. Since bitmonerod is a hog, it's often the sacrifice choice. Firefox is also a good one. You may want to temporarily stop memory hungry processes while bitmonerod is running.

To avoid that, you can increase swap (or add some if you don't have any), or overcommit memory.

Some details and instructions:

https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/74/increase-swap-space-for-blockchain
I just got up and went to check sync progress for my first ever Monero sync.

The xterm in which I had launched monerod in the foreground had the following output at the end:

2015-Mar-29 06:43:34.867898 [P2P3][46.166.188.212:14630 INC]Sync data returned unknown top block: 354494 -> 496973 [142479 blocks (98 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started
Killed

So I look in syslog and find a load of stuff about being out of memory:

Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.385984]  [] out_of_memory+0x4cd/0x510
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386247] Out of memory: Kill process 7956 (bitmonerod) score 641 or sacrifice child
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386249] Killed process 7956 (bitmonerod) total-vm:6039844kB, anon-rss:5153036kB, file-rss:0kB

This is on my workstation with 8 GiB RAM.  Is this a known issue?
"Monero groups all transactions with everyone else who transacted on that block through what is called ‘ring signatures’, and obscures where the coins came from and went, by forcing them to become a part of a group of transactions. This promises a high level of anonymity. Monero is also enjoying a healthy increase in value in recent weeks."

Thats a honest misunderstanding I would say, its technically incorrect but thats how [bit looks[/b] from outside Wink

Agree, its a common misconception. Ultimately, unless you get into the technical details it gives more of less the right idea. Occasionally someone will ask what happens if there aren't enough transactions in a block or something like that, at which point we explain more accurately how it actually works.

Also occasionally, instead of someone asking that, they will just think to themselves "so it depends on other transactions being present in each block", and go away feeling uneasy about the design of the whole thing.

In other words, not a "simplification" to be encouraged.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Monero one rights coin and secure too
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I have a strange issue that occurred while sending out xmr from mymonero to poloniex the other day, which has left me wondering where several thousand of my xmr have disappeared to....

The amount sent from mymonero does not correspond to the amount reported by moneroblocks when searching with the payment ID, which in turn does not correspond to the amount received by poloniex. From mymonero to poloniex there is a discrepancy of -4000 xmr...

Where do I start to figure out what is going on here?

just curious if Mr. 4000 xmr above here got it all squared away?
Locked coins are what you know from Bitcoin as "change".

If you have an output of 10 xmr and pay 5 xmr to someone you get 5 xmr back - the change money. Same as for Dollarbills etc.
Those are available to spend after they have been confirmed 6 times.
Basically you send 5 coins to the receiver and you send 5 coins back to you, both transactions need to get confirmations before they are unlocked.

I've only ever seen unlocked balances while waiting for incoming confirmations on transfers to my wallet.

It's the same, your change-transaction is send to your wallet and waits for confirmation, while i write that here your coins should already be unlocked (confirmed) again.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
<3 big picture
Curious - I sent 10 XMR out of my wallet, and it seems to have locked a bunch of my coins?

Code:
Starting refresh...
Refresh done, blocks received: 1025
balance: 200.305189815327, unlocked balance: 200.305189815327
[wallet 435cjH]: transfer
Error: wrong number of arguments
[wallet 435cjH]: transfer 0
Money successfully sent, transaction
[wallet 435cjH]: refresh
Starting refresh...
Refresh done, blocks received: 4
balance: 190.295189815327, unlocked balance: 109.065189815327

Anyone know whats up here?  Using simplewallet v0.8.8.7-cd31ea9  (built the binary from GIT yesterday - the wallet I created in May 2014)

I've only ever seen unlocked balances while waiting for incoming confirmations on transfers to my wallet.

Jump to: