Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1032. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Monero - Wild and Free

Skycoin dev talking about Coinjoin - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10888273

btw i need a nice writeup on privacy for a monero thunderclap
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
Another one with our "motto":

How about one with "Is it true?"

I'll do that tomorrow  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

How about one with "Is it true?"
legendary

legendary
Made some 3D text logos for us Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001
Im sick of hearing about DRK/DASH i wont invest a single cent in it either.
Its all just a big P&D and nothing more, totally instamined, very unfair distribution etc.
Anyway they are spreading the word around that Monero has a Backdoor built into it which was planned by the NSA if you please!

Where do they conjure up such conspiracy theories?Huh?

From a shitty web site (that doesn't even exist any more) where you can pay some guy to write an article on any coin for 1 BTC. I wouldn't be surprised if some DRK supporter paid for it. No evidence for that, just 'follow the money'

Yeah doesnt surprise me at all!
The DRK community were trolling the Monero and XC threads heavily last year and did alot of damage, it will take alot of time for us to recover, but the price of Monero is fairly stable when you compare it to DRK/DASH
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Its all just a big P&D and nothing more, totally instamined, very unfair distribution etc.
Anyway they are spreading the word around that Monero has a Backdoor built into it which was planned by the NSA if you please!

From a shitty web site (that doesn't even exist any more) where you can pay some guy to write an article on any coin for 1 BTC. I wouldn't be surprised if some DRK supporter paid for it. No evidence for that, just 'follow the money'
legendary
Activity: 1918

legendary
"Monero groups all transactions with everyone else who transacted on that block through what is called ‘ring signatures’, and obscures where the coins came from and went, by forcing them to become a part of a group of transactions. This promises a high level of anonymity. Monero is also enjoying a healthy increase in value in recent weeks."

Thats a honest misunderstanding I would say, its technically incorrect but thats how [bit looks[/b] from outside Wink

Agree, its a common misconception. Ultimately, unless you get into the technical details it gives more of less the right idea. Occasionally someone will ask what happens if there aren't enough transactions in a block or something like that, at which point we explain more accurately how it actually works.

"more or less" - I would go with less. By implying that it has to do with a particular block and the transactions in that block, that might lead someone to think that its an active process as opposed to the passive process that it actually is.

But then again, I really didn't understand it that well until today.... so yeah.

Look, I'm not saying it is accurate at all. But for people who just understand this at the level of electronic currency and maybe have at best some vague notion of what a block even is, just the idea that transactions get combined together somehow and you can't trace it is a good enough big picture.

Yes it would be better if reporters always got the technical details correct, but that is not realistic.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
"Monero groups all transactions with everyone else who transacted on that block through what is called ‘ring signatures’, and obscures where the coins came from and went, by forcing them to become a part of a group of transactions. This promises a high level of anonymity. Monero is also enjoying a healthy increase in value in recent weeks."

Thats a honest misunderstanding I would say, its technically incorrect but thats how [bit looks[/b] from outside Wink

Agree, its a common misconception. Ultimately, unless you get into the technical details it gives more of less the right idea. Occasionally someone will ask what happens if there aren't enough transactions in a block or something like that, at which point we explain more accurately how it actually works.

"more or less" - I would go with less. By implying that it has to do with a particular block and the transactions in that block, that might lead someone to think that its an active process as opposed to the passive process that it actually is.

But then again, I really didn't understand it that well until today.... so yeah.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

It is not a Bitcoin clone, and the wallet is only officially available via command line – no graphical user interface is available for this piece of technology yet.

lol, why do they have to mention it doesn't have a GUI? How come this is always so important.
Shouldn't the privacy features be more important in a article such as this one?

And they always fail to mention how Darkcoin/DASH is an instamined scam. If Monero had changed its social contract, virtually giving a fishslap in the face of every new user/investor, it would have a marketcap bigger than Litecoin died because the lack of ponzinodes, thats the only reason DASH/Darkcoin is mentioned.

And on top of that they have no idea how it works

I don't know all of the underlying magic that happens, but I know thats not it - it uses any input, not just ones in the active block. God, if it were ones transacted on that block, we'd all be "grouped" with the coin generation transaction! (because most blocks these days are just 1 transaction)
Activity: 687
Merit: 500

It is not a Bitcoin clone, and the wallet is only officially available via command line – no graphical user interface is available for this piece of technology yet.

lol, why do they have to mention it doesn't have a GUI? How come this is always so important.
Shouldn't the privacy features be more important in a article such as this one?
legendary
Activity: 1092
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Just dropped by to say Farewell and Adieu.
Turns out we're not related after all. It was fun hanging out smooth. I daresay we'll meet again. All the best.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10916130

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Wasn't there talk of the feature to import funds into mymonero by using just the deterministic seed? Is this integrated now and if so does anyone know how to do so?

Yes there is and it is currently working:

MyMonero has added existing wallet import functionality. Just use your 25 word mnemonic from simplewallet when logging in, and after paying the 10 XMR once-off fee your wallet will be available in MyMonero.

More info can be found here:

https://getmonero.org/2015/03/09/monero-missive-for-the-week-of-2015-03-09.html

That's two now. You need a donation address, friend!

You're welcome!

If you intend to donate some to me, please forward it to the devs donation adress:

Code:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em

Funds will, in my opinion, get a more appropriate use then Smiley

PS: If anyone wants to donate to the dev fund in general, more info about it can be found here -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monero-community-hall-of-fame-700400
legendary
Wasn't there talk of the feature to import funds into mymonero by using just the deterministic seed? Is this integrated now and if so does anyone know how to do so?

Yes there is and it is currently working:

MyMonero has added existing wallet import functionality. Just use your 25 word mnemonic from simplewallet when logging in, and after paying the 10 XMR once-off fee your wallet will be available in MyMonero.

More info can be found here:

https://getmonero.org/2015/03/09/monero-missive-for-the-week-of-2015-03-09.html
legendary
I was thinking about it and realized the latest missive wasn't even crossposted here. So here it is:

https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/245/monday-monero-missives-27-march-23rd-2015

Quote from: MONDAY MONERO MISSIVES #27 - MARCH 23RD, 2015

To download the podcast directly please use this link to the MP3 , or this link to the AAC/MP4 , or this link to the FLAC .

A brief summary of the points discussed follows, a full transcription of the podcast is outstanding (can be submitted via Github Issues).

In this week's podcast we discuss the new blockchain utilities in preparation for their final merge.

1. blockchain_converter converts between database types, right now its only job is to convert from the old in-RAM system to an lmdb database. It chews memory, though, as it has to keep the blockchain in RAM as well as the lmdb driver.

2. blockchain_export takes the default database (set at compile time) and exports it to a blockchain.raw file. This is the file we're going to make available for download as the blockchain bootstrap in future.

3. blockchain_import imports from the blockchain.raw file into whatever database format (specified at runtime, the default database is specified at compile time). It allows you to import with verification off for the fastest possible speed, specify LMDB options, and specify a batching count for loading in chunks.

Until next week!

I know the devs encourage us to use the official forum, hence why the missive is posted there, but I still think it's better for awareness and visibility to also crosspost it here.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I need some info before I invest in this coin.
It won't answer your NSA question, but since you are talking about investing... Letter to an investor.
legendary
I have a strange issue that occurred while sending out xmr from mymonero to poloniex the other day, which has left me wondering where several thousand of my xmr have disappeared to....

The amount sent from mymonero does not correspond to the amount reported by moneroblocks when searching with the payment ID, which in turn does not correspond to the amount received by poloniex. From mymonero to poloniex there is a discrepancy of -4000 xmr...

Where do I start to figure out what is going on here?

I would advise to contact Fluffypony (owner of MyMonero) on IRC, since it's much easier to communicate on there than using bitcointalk. If you are not familiar with IRC, just use this link -> http://webchat.freenode.net/. Set your nickname and set the channel to #monero, you could ask openly for him in the channel or just sent him a personal message (use /query fluffypony or just press on his nick). If you are familiar with irc just join #monero on freenode. The issue will probably be resolved soon if you get in touch with him.

PS: He is probably sleeping right now, but should be online tomorrow. Good luck with resolving your issue!

Follow this advice. He usually comes back online roughly 7 hours from now.
Jump to: