Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1370. (Read 4670630 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
If it can be hacked, cheated, or manipulated it must be done. Don't know what, if anything BCX was trying to point out. But this is the burden that comes along with new frontiers. If ya can't hold, best get off the ride now.  Grin

Will somebody clarify the mining exploit found. What % what miners disadvantaged and what pools were involved?

http://monerochain.info/charts/difficulty would have shown, but coincidentaly ... offline. Any newer service charting total network Hashrate?
Basically watch the drop in Hashrate once the pools applied the patch. Easy. Is 20957 khs now and was same order of magnitude days ago.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
BCX did great on manipulating people. He may also did great with buying/selling to affect the XMR/BTC chart in his favour.

Just take a look at max zoom-out at the last five days:

https://hitbtc.com/terminal/XMRBTC

Small miners and small bagholders are lured to sell now (better loose some than everything) - and they do sell, many small trades @ the orderbook.
However diff is not lower than the average, so network is doing good.

The timing of all this fud-n-fear scenario could not be better: Just some weeks before the official GUI wallet hits the download page. The GUI wallet gets XMR to the public, to the 90% of humans out there not being able to open a DOS/terminal box and execute bitmonerod and simplewallet.

So let´s see if I am terribly mistaken about all this...

Watching this post.  Smiley
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Still under consideration, including waiting to see what input we get from MEW.

I am going to re-iterate my idea of the core devs holding both the database and GUI in "ransom" for large sums.  Those features are released when people donate that amount of money.

I am not sure if that is the case. They are probably working on the "fix" to the recent attacks.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Will somebody clarify the mining exploit found. What % what miners disadvantaged and what pools were involved?

Good questions. You will have to ask the pools, as they are independent of the Monero project and I don't know. I just happened to overhear on #monero-pools.

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
If it can be hacked, cheated, or manipulated it must be done fixed. Don't know what, if anything BCX was trying to point out. But this is the burden that comes along with new frontiers. If ya can't hold, best get off the ride now.  Grin

FTFY
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

I am going to re-iterate my idea of the core devs holding both the database and GUI in "ransom" for large sums.  Those features are released when people donate that amount of money.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
BCX did great on manipulating people. He may also did great with buying/selling to affect the XMR/BTC chart in his favour.

Just take a look at max zoom-out at the last five days:

https://hitbtc.com/terminal/XMRBTC

Small miners and small bagholders are lured to sell now (better loose some than everything) - and they do sell, many small trades @ the orderbook.
However diff is not lower than the average, so network is doing good.

The timing of all this fud-n-fear scenario could not be better: Just some weeks before the official GUI wallet hits the download page. The GUI wallet gets XMR to the public, to the 90% of humans out there not being able to open a DOS/terminal box and execute bitmonerod and simplewallet.

So let´s see if I am terribly mistaken about all this...
legendary
Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007
Couple of questions I hope a core dev could clear up:

1. Did they release the statement about the attack threat? Have any exploits been discovered?

There was no attack (unless you consider a threat to be an attack), so no statement can be made about an attack.

We aren't ever going to comment about undisclosed exploits except after they are fixed. This is should not be taken to imply an exploit was found or wasn't, simply a relevant statement of policy.

No suspicious activity has been observed other than the pool exploit that was fixed recently (and probably not related, as it has apparently be around for a while).

2. Can we get some clarity on core development funding and how that will proceed?

Thanks
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
If it can be hacked, cheated, or manipulated it must be done. Don't know what, if anything BCX was trying to point out. But this is the burden that comes along with new frontiers. If ya can't hold, best get off the ride now.  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

This was a no-lose scenario for BCX, just different sorts of wins.

For the most part I would agree with this.  But if I were BCX I would find the hit to my reputation a bit hard to reconcile.  In the end he just was a lying manipulator.  And perhaps this is enough for him to have fun.

In the end his credibility was badly damaged by this.

BCX!  Crusher of Solidcoin!  Destroyer of Auroracoin. 

Played peek-a-boo with Monero.

Doesn't really continue the legacy does it? 

Sure, just depends on the legacy that matters to BCX.  All that remains would be for BCX to claim victory.  After all, BCX got everything BCX asked for from the outset.

We all can see how BCX's crushing might of brute force hashing, summonable on command plus a deep history of expert TW assaults and DDoS capability of BCX's repute, has forced the hand of the XMR dev team to alter their commits just to address this threat. 

That the DEV team also came to BCX, hat in hand, asking publicly for help from BCX shows their both humility and single-minded dedication to the success of their project.  They dropped all pretense of ego, all they care about is tight code.  They seem willing to admit that given enough power, the block chain, any block chain, can be overwhelmed. 
They did manage to raise the barricades a good bit, and battened down the hatches with their decentralized and nimble checkpointing innovation.  This would make any TW dependent attack much more costly to BCX with much less disruptive effect.

XMR is in the crib, in the years to come it will have to contend with much greater adversaries than BCX.  It was born out of a litter of CryptoNote alts, had a brief foster parentage with TFT, and now has a strong well balanced family of its own with its current team.

There is no perfect offering, XMR just managed to achieve "best yet", and within the 72 hours of the BCX challenge issued.  Other baby alts would be wise to follow this leadership in TW defenses.

There are TLAs more powerful than BCX.  Thanks to BCX, XMR is a bit more ready for those challenges to come.

I dont see anyone saying this and im not sure why, but honestly perhaps we should be thankful to bcx. Things grow stronger when tempered with adversity and the necessity to overcome challenges. And like you said, bigger threats will come yet, so bcx in a way is helping us to get prepared for what is inevitably to come. We should all send him a big thankyou card for helping us to stress test the network. Or am I missing something?
Activity: 29
No suspicious activity has been observed other than the pool exploit that was fixed recently (and probably not related, as it has apparently be around for a while).

I am peeved by this one. Not really differenciating between a crippled miner against a cheating pool. And Monero got both of them. Will there ever be a stop on doing that? Next comes botnet mining doing most of hashrate?

Already a few botnets out there mining XMR.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.

I am peeved by this one. Not really differenciating between a crippled miner against a cheating pool. And Monero got both of them. Will there ever be a stop on doing that? Next comes botnet mining doing most of hashrate?
legendary

1. Did they release the statement about the attack? Have any exploits been discovered?

There was no attack (unless you consider a threat to be an attack), so no statement can be made about an attack.

We aren't ever going to comment about undisclosed exploits except after they are fixed. This is should not be taken to imply an exploit was found or wasn't, simply a relevant statement of policy.

2. Can we get some clarity on core development funding and how that will proceed?

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

Never forget we were actually threatened, it doesn't matter the excuses he tried to use.

No you weren't. You were never threatened. A perceived threat (you perceive _everything_ to be a threat) isn't the same thing as a real threat. You just have an extremely low tolerance for things not going your way.

You jumped plumb off the crazy springboard, accusing everybody you disagree with as being part of a grand conspiracy against you. Your paranoia is out of this world and its quite safe to say you don't have the stomach for this game. We all witnessed you fall apart pretty hard in the last week. It was funny, but sad.

Maybe you should take a break for a little while, you know, just for your own mental health and to help you regain some composure.

There is an exploit that allows stealing funds from wallets and I am going to use that exploit to do so.

You are correct that could not be perceived as an attack.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 8114

Never forget we were actually threatened, it doesn't matter the excuses he tried to use.

No you weren't. You were never threatened. A perceived threat (you perceive _everything_ to be a threat) isn't the same thing as a real threat. You just have an extremely low tolerance for things not going your way.

You jumped plumb off the crazy springboard, accusing everybody you disagree with as being part of a grand conspiracy against you. Your paranoia is out of this world and its quite safe to say you don't have the stomach for this game. We all witnessed you fall apart pretty hard in the last week. It was funny, but sad.

Maybe you should take a break for a little while, you know, just for your own mental health and to help you regain some composure.
legendary
Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

1. Did they release the statement about the attack? Have any exploits been discovered?

Thanks
legendary
Suddenly getting lots of the following errors in the daemon (pages full of red text):

Code:
ERROR /root/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/net/abstract_tcp_server2.inl:307 send que size is more than ABSTRACT_SERVER_SEND_QUE_MAX_COUNT(1000), shutting down connection

I upgraded to head after the fix for the the BCX attack was deployed, and until now it's been running fine.

After restarting the daemon, I have the correct block height (239586 as of now).

Are these errors anything to worry about?

No it just means the peer is stuck (peer went to sleep on energy saver, probably). It doesn't affect your node. How often these happen depend on network conditions but in general nothing to worry about.

XDO
Activity: 17
Suddenly getting lots of the following errors in the daemon (pages full of red text):

Code:
ERROR /root/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/net/abstract_tcp_server2.inl:307 send que size is more than ABSTRACT_SERVER_SEND_QUE_MAX_COUNT(1000), shutting down connection

I upgraded to head after the fix for the the BCX attack was deployed, and until now it's been running fine.

After restarting the daemon, I have the correct block height (239586 as of now).

Are these errors anything to worry about?
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
I'm confident the entire reason BCX wants to "bet" is to pay for the hash power required to attack the coin. The reason he hasn't (seemingly) tried is probably because he doesn't want to expense it.

So no, Risto's refusal of the bet would have little to do with his confidence in Monero and everything to do with him not wanting to directly fund its attack.

Very astute observation. Given the right number BTC can be taken down.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
I'm confident the entire reason BCX wants to "bet" is to pay for the hash power required to attack the coin. The reason he hasn't (seemingly) tried is probably because he doesn't want to expense it.

So no, Risto's refusal of the bet would have little to do with his confidence in Monero and everything to do with him not wanting to directly fund its attack.
Jump to: