Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1371. (Read 4670630 times)

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Dont be so hard on yourself, this is not your fault and you said nothing wrong or provocative, he just chose your prolific post to use as excuse for another round of threats and BS.

Never forget we were actually threatened, it doesn't matter the excuses he tried to use.

Very true, If he couldn't find something to use he would have fabricated it. Wink
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
XMR is the future.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer

This was a no-lose scenario for BCX, just different sorts of wins.

For the most part I would agree with this.  But if I were BCX I would find the hit to my reputation a bit hard to reconcile.  In the end he just was a lying manipulator.  And perhaps this is enough for him to have fun.

In the end his credibility was badly damaged by this.

BCX!  Crusher of Solidcoin!  Destroyer of Auroracoin. 

Played peek-a-boo with Monero.

Doesn't really continue the legacy does it? 

Sure, just depends on the legacy that matters to BCX.  All that remains would be for BCX to claim victory.  After all, BCX got everything BCX asked for from the outset.

We all can see how BCX's crushing might of brute force hashing, summonable on command plus a deep history of expert TW assaults and DDoS capability of BCX's repute, has forced the hand of the XMR dev team to alter their commits just to address this threat. 

That the DEV team also came to BCX, hat in hand, asking publicly for help from BCX shows their both humility and single-minded dedication to the success of their project.  They dropped all pretense of ego, all they care about is tight code.  They seem willing to admit that given enough power, the block chain, any block chain, can be overwhelmed. 
They did manage to raise the barricades a good bit, and battened down the hatches with their decentralized and nimble checkpointing innovation.  This would make any TW dependent attack much more costly to BCX with much less disruptive effect.

XMR is in the crib, in the years to come it will have to contend with much greater adversaries than BCX.  It was born out of a litter of CryptoNote alts, had a brief foster parentage with TFT, and now has a strong well balanced family of its own with its current team.

There is no perfect offering, XMR just managed to achieve "best yet", and within the 72 hours of the BCX challenge issued.  Other baby alts would be wise to follow this leadership in TW defenses.

There are TLAs more powerful than BCX.  Thanks to BCX, XMR is a bit more ready for those challenges to come.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
For the most part I would agree with this.  But if I were BCX I would find the hit to my reputation a bit hard to reconcile.  In the end he just was a lying manipulator.  And perhaps this is enough for him to have fun.
I told everybody two months ago.

e.g. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8049862
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

"All aboard the Bitcoin Express! We're leaving in 72--errrr...wait, wait...4 day--wait..errr...2 weeks! Yeah, get on board! Next stop Fudville!"

What are you laughing for? BCX had reached his goal. He had planned to bring the XMR price down with his exploit bullshit to buy in as cheaply as possible and got what he wanted.  
This is fine for speculating on what ulterior motives might be at play, however...
If you take BCX at just what BCX said, it wasn't about the price.

There were other things BCX claimed to want:
1)  "Forced Evolution"
2)  "requests for help from developers"

BCX achieved both of these.  These goals are also consistent with the general goals of the broad community of crypto currency workers (but perhaps with the exception of the threat of the use of force to achieve them).

Did he really achieve b?  The following was his last post in that thread.

That is not the official statement of the dev team. Please reconsider what you are doing, this is not a healthy mindset to have. As humans, we are supposed to build things up, not break them down. It is our duty. Please reconsider.

Being in a healthy mindset is something I am not often accused of.

At some point I am sure the XMR team will realize they do indeed need my help and we may work something out.

But anyway the image below posted by nutildah is interesting. Check the blocks just prior to the circle.

Later guys.

~BCX~

That "work something out" sounds like _________

His quote also includes "proof" of his bogus claim of having already affected the blockchain.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

For the most part I would agree with this.  But if I were BCX I would find the hit to my reputation a bit hard to reconcile.  In the end he just was a lying manipulator.  And perhaps this is enough for him to have fun.

Agree, the Bit Corn moniker is something no prophet wants, especially when they claim to have the the keys to the collapse. You can spin it however you want, but this stinks of failure.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
No legacy ever existed.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer

"All aboard the Bitcoin Express! We're leaving in 72--errrr...wait, wait...4 day--wait..errr...2 weeks! Yeah, get on board! Next stop Fudville!"

What are you laughing for? BCX had reached his goal. He had planned to bring the XMR price down with his exploit bullshit to buy in as cheaply as possible and got what he wanted.  
This is fine for speculating on what ulterior motives might be at play, however...
If you take BCX at just what BCX said, it wasn't about the price.

There were other things BCX claimed to want:
1)  "Forced Evolution"
2)  "requests for help from developers"

BCX achieved both of these.  These goals are also consistent with the general goals of the broad community of crypto currency workers (but perhaps with the exception of the threat of the use of force to achieve them).
Activity: 112
How long since the "attack" has started?
Aren't those few days already over?

ya ... i don't get it.

dissapointed in bcx   Angry
Activity: 65
How long since the "attack" has started?
Aren't those few days already over?
legendary
him being afraid that monero could really get litecoins position, but why wouldn't he simply buy or mine xmr when they are cheap.

Ahhh - litecoin.  That is the only rational explanation that I've said from the beginning makes sense.

I believe he got litecoin for around 0.20 each.  XMR isn't a sure thing with BBR plus dealing with a new codebase that still isn't fully understood. 

Hubris could also be a factor. Like a North Korean dictator's perfect game, BCX might buy into the notion of infallibility.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
him being afraid that monero could really get litecoins position, but why wouldn't he simply buy or mine xmr when they are cheap.

Ahhh - litecoin.  That is the only rational explanation that I've said from the beginning makes sense.

I believe he got litecoin for around 0.20 each.  XMR isn't a sure thing with BBR plus dealing with a new codebase that still isn't fully understood. 
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
a second thing bcx could have tried is to destroy the reputation of xmr, but why?

there is no real competitor, I doubt he bought darkcoin, not sure on anoncoin.

I was quite sure that he was in interested in cheap xmr but I think thehn he would have cleared things up afterwards.
legendary
The bet is untenable. It is game-theoretically impossible for Risto (or anybody else, who we suppose helps XMR) to accept it. BCX is an asshole, but he's not an idiot and perfectly knew that.

What do you mean untenable?  To be a devils advocate - isn't whoever has worse odds going to be the one avoiding the bet?  Hence Risto had less favorable odds than BCX?
Activity: 263
Merit: 250
No offense but I don't think BCX is trying to trade his reputation for a 15% discount on Monero.

His 500BTC bet offer seems to back up my assumption.

The bet is untenable. It is game-theoretically impossible for Risto (or anybody else, who we suppose helps XMR) to accept it. BCX is an asshole, but he's not an idiot and perfectly knew that.
legendary
No offense but I don't think BCX is trying to trade his reputation for a 15% discount on Monero.

I assumed the 500 btc bet was to encourage a collusion of interested parties. If a consortium could guarantee a 500 BTC return for their efforts, they would expend more resources to gain a favorable result.

But then I always assume there's a rational plan, but that's not always the case.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Price falls, and the difficulty increases  Grin - good signals ... coming Pump
legendary

Hype gets more results than actual attacks sometimes. I'm thinking of the show Borgias. The French butchered a town when they entered Borgias territory to make future towns unlikely to show resistance. The Borgias son  returned the favor when he had plaster cannons made and moved to the turrets of Rome. The French withdrew for fear of having their army decimated by the imagined threat.

For me, I view FUD attacks as buying opportunities. The best revenge is showing your enemies how much they've helped you. Can't thank BCX enough. If he got discounted XMR, he should make a donation to the developers of his new investment. If he sells to make a quick buck, then he'll understand--one day soon, I hope--Monero is a global cash system and you always want to have cash on hand.
Jump to: