Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1569. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Android app for cryptonote trading

Hello guys!

I made an Android app - Cryptonote Bitcoin!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cryptcoins.cryptonote

- Trade cryptonote coins on HitBTC and Poloniex and get profit;
- Check your balance on exchanges;
- Nice widgets will inform you about last trades of cryptonote coins to bitcoin;
- See your active and trade history on HitBTC and Poloniex;

Will be waiting for your feedback!
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I'm syncing the blockchain, having used install_monero.sh on Ubuntu 14.04, and my daemon threw this error. It hasn't seemed to have slowed it down, although I did restart just in case. Googling didn't bring anything up, so I thought I'd mention it.

Code:
2014-Aug-07 16:34:33.549957 [P2P9][178.137.113.3:18080 OUT]Sync data returned unknown top block: 151909 -> 156065 [4156 blocks (2 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started
2014-Aug-07 16:37:51.191235 [P2P8]ERROR /home/aeron/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/storages/portable_storage_from_bin.h:274 string len count value 8363 goes out of remain storage len 1848
2014-Aug-07 16:37:51.197356 [P2P8]ERROR /home/aeron/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/storages/portable_storage.h:173 Exception at [portable_storage::load_from_binary], what=string len count value 8363 goes out of remain storage len 1848
2014-Aug-07 16:37:51.197693 [P2P8]ERROR /home/aeron/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/storages/levin_abstract_invoke2.h:196 Failed to load_from_binary in notify 2004

You can generally ignore any error that starts with [P2Px] - if it causes the daemon to crash please open a github issue so we can investigate it more thoroughly:)
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
I'm syncing the blockchain, having used install_monero.sh on Ubuntu 14.04, and my daemon threw this error. It hasn't seemed to have slowed it down, although I did restart just in case. Googling didn't bring anything up, so I thought I'd mention it.

Code:
2014-Aug-07 16:34:33.549957 [P2P9][178.137.113.3:18080 OUT]Sync data returned unknown top block: 151909 -> 156065 [4156 blocks (2 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started
2014-Aug-07 16:37:51.191235 [P2P8]ERROR /home/aeron/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/storages/portable_storage_from_bin.h:274 string len count value 8363 goes out of remain storage len 1848
2014-Aug-07 16:37:51.197356 [P2P8]ERROR /home/aeron/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/storages/portable_storage.h:173 Exception at [portable_storage::load_from_binary], what=string len count value 8363 goes out of remain storage len 1848
2014-Aug-07 16:37:51.197693 [P2P8]ERROR /home/aeron/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/storages/levin_abstract_invoke2.h:196 Failed to load_from_binary in notify 2004
kbm
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
cross post ..

Hi Smiley I have question, if someone would be kind enough to answer Smiley

Is it possible to have totally open transactions with XMR (as open as BTC)....or do all transactions necessarily get obscured by ring-sig?

This was answered in this FAQ here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8148948

It might have not been clear. This isn't something that's even similar to you comparing your transaction records with someone. This method involves using data that is constant in your wallet, the view-key, that you can use to reveal, with absolute proof, that your transaction occurred on the blockchain. With this, yes, totally open transactions are possible. They can be as open as BTC, if everyone were to share every single view-key that they use with every wallet they use and make them accessible to everyone. I don't know why people would do that though.
Well I was reading about black and white bitcoins today, and the possibility that regulators may try to identify addresses. Now if that were to happen, it may happen in some places but not others. It may happen for a while and then be abandoned. We don't know. But, in some places it may be useful to be a coin that is not necessarily "private", but has the option for more a more open ledger.

In such a case, I would imagine the view key being part of your bitlicense in NY, or at least able to be demanded by law (ie: regulated/submissible as proof) .. similar to a court asking your credit card company for transaction records, except in this case you (or whoever you've trusted your view key with) would have to provide that. Like you said though, we don't know. Cryptonote does offer things that can be legislated - payments are not permanently obscured. The point here is that nobody can falsify the evidence, as it's permanently recorded on the blockchain and your wallet.

I see it as, in the very least, keeping the same decency I've been shown to date in that my neighbor does not know if I've bought a flat screen TV last year (short of showing them myself of course Smiley ) .. while at the same time, if I had not paid the credit card bill that I racked up from buying the TV .. the court, myself and my cc company can hash it all out successfully .. all without my neighbor knowing (or ever being able to find out without my direct intervention). The same carries through with cryptonote.

Edit: smooth's right, I'll respond in the main thread
Activity: 99
XMR is the future.
Activity: 115
BTC for a better world
Ok. thank you guys, I dont HODL any DRK, actually any anonymous coins, Im thinking about investing in some Im just making research and have no much time.
Thanks for answers.

Try these links:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2c6w0x/so_what_do_you_think_make_monero_worth_investing/
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7730401
Activity: 47
Merit: 25
ggwp
Ok. thank you guys, I dont HODL any DRK, actually any anonymous coins, Im thinking about investing in some Im just making research and have no much time.
Thanks for answers.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
what makes monero better than darkcoin and other anonymous coins? thank you

But the signs all point up from here.   And there's lots of them...

Do tell.

Seriously, do tell.

Current fundamental plusses:
Only coin offering true privacy with ring signatures.
One of very few coins to compliment bitcoin rather than compete.
Impossible to examine block chain for tracking funds.
Serious candidate for crypto version of "Swiss account"
Serious contender for crypto with cash equivalence for privacy.
Smooth decreasing emission rate.
Active development.
Devs focusing on foundation not bling.
Major interest from BCT  "hero"  members and BTC whales.
POW  (proven value creation)
Active mining community.
Zero premine.
Zero ninja mine.
Cpu/gpu friendly.
Robust asic resistance.
Current state inflationary but coin holds value.
Smoothly rising difficulty.
Smoothly rising hash rate.
Relatively equitable distribution.
Low hype.
High signal to noise community here.
No evidence of any pump/dump.
Exchanges coming online.

Future fundamental plusses:
Gui imminent.
Database overhaul underway.
Website overhaul underway.
Possible mobile client.
Rpc wallet incoming.

Technical plusses: (weak area)
Consistent volume leader on exchanges.
Seems to be finding support at recent lows.

A real ta guy could fill that in.   Chart looks pretty shitty to me. But the fundamentals are damn strong with this coin.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

Probably because it's anonymous by it's nature and not due to pair of crutches, invented to produce some artificial demand? And yes, how much DRK you HODL?
Activity: 75

If you give me your DRK address i'll show you Smiley
Activity: 47
Merit: 25
ggwp
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
"Securing Freedom through Privacy" - Google Latin "Praesent libero per Securitate"
"Securing Financial Liberty through Privacy" - Google Latin "Aliquam erat volutpat Securitate libertas"

Along these lines? Securing can be changed to Secured if this doesn't flop  Wink

Realized how bad we need a new language, words like Freedom and Liberty have been thrown around loosely.

Well, if the logopoesy of priquiditas is too whimsical (XMR R SRS CO1N), I would suggest " sine secretum non libertas "

Excellent, it is simple and captures the fundamental essence of the project.  I might even put my sig in latin. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
"Securing Freedom through Privacy" - Google Latin "Praesent libero per Securitate"
"Securing Financial Liberty through Privacy" - Google Latin "Aliquam erat volutpat Securitate libertas"

Along these lines? Securing can be changed to Secured if this doesn't flop  Wink

Realized how bad we need a new language, words like Freedom and Liberty have been thrown around loosely.

Well, if the logopoesy of priquiditas is too whimsical (XMR R SRS CO1N), I would suggest " sine secretum non libertas "
Activity: 99
XMR is the future.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Still holding my XMR. Not affraid of the ups and downs. Let us hold for long period of times through the market storms for #1 Anon coin is its only destiny.
Activity: 255
very nice coin
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Here is the URL for Google Hangout. If you have a Google account, you can already announce you will attend it or share the link. A Google account WON'T be necessary to watch the video, but it will be for leaving comments on YouTube. If you also want to ask a question with the Q/A feature (as opposed to asking on #monero-dev) you will also need a Google+ account (new Google accounts automatically have Google+ activated, but older one might not).

Monero Fireside Chat #1

About Q/A: We activated the Q/A feature of Google Hangout on Air. You will have the opportunity to ask questions on Google Hangout on top of the regular #monero-dev questions. When a question asked on the Google Q/A platform will we answered, an anchor will be created on the video so that future viewers can go straight to the answer.

When you click on the play icon and it goes to a large player on the right I see saddambitcoin's avatar which is just a picture of Saddam Hussein.

Now *I* know why that is there, and who it belongs to...  but for those who do not, do we wish to have this face associated with the project?  He would be the definition of a controversial figure.

No offense meant to saddambitcoin.

LOL sorry guys. Why is my avatar showing up like that?  
Activity: 75
Just a note of appreciation for the continuing regular updates by the dev team.  Well done.

I do think you should consider making staging integration builds more easily available to supporters willing to test in their diverse environments. It will improve the robustness of releases, convey project velocity, and save dev team testing time if done right.

Also, I propose an official motto for monero, suitable for business cards, physical coins & c.:

Monero est priquiditas pro populo.

Because: Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Here is the URL for Google Hangout. If you have a Google account, you can already announce you will attend it or share the link. A Google account WON'T be necessary to watch the video, but it will be for leaving comments on YouTube. If you also want to ask a question with the Q/A feature (as opposed to asking on #monero-dev) you will also need a Google+ account (new Google accounts automatically have Google+ activated, but older one might not).

Monero Fireside Chat #1

About Q/A: We activated the Q/A feature of Google Hangout on Air. You will have the opportunity to ask questions on Google Hangout on top of the regular #monero-dev questions. When a question asked on the Google Q/A platform will we answered, an anchor will be created on the video so that future viewers can go straight to the answer.

When you click on the play icon and it goes to a large player on the right I see saddambitcoin's avatar which is just a picture of Saddam Hussein.

Now *I* know why that is there, and who it belongs to...  but for those who do not, do we wish to have this face associated with the project?  He would be the definition of a controversial figure.

No offense meant to saddambitcoin.
kbm
Activity: 84

I was about to post about this!

The importance statement is this : "during the dev discussion portion following the announcement we'll be available to take questions on IRC in #monero-dev on Freenode."

It means its at the very least an announcement technical by nature, otherwise why take questions afterwards? this means no cryptsy, no website, no gui (database thingy stuffy problem? ive no idea what i'm talking about lol) -- personally i'm betting on i2p integration ! remember that a few missives ago there were mentions of a partnership with i2p and anoncoin and talks about a fundation of some sort in order to make things smoother.

Or database thingy is done and this is the announcement.

I2p was what I was thinking.  Whatever it is, +1 to all devs as usual!

its prob the new website, but i hope its the i2p, db seems too complex to be finished yet

Sounds really interesting, I can't wait to find out what it is!
Jump to: