Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1568. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
I'm on a small pool and their HR has doubled even though the number of miners is virtually the same.  
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
Difficulty went up by 40% today. Unreal.

New GPU miner or botnet ?

EDIT : ...and its still increasing! 43% increase since this morning....
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
Hey everyone,

What security measures do you recommend for your cold storage keys. I was thinking more about measures to prevent hacking/theft of the keys. Should i be paranoid to the point of creating the wallet in an air gap and never look into it until I need it? (Lets not go into the "Ruiu says badBIOS leaps air gaps" territory).

Regarding backup I'm doing the _strongly encrypt your files and stored them in offline and online sources and don't forget the deterministic seed_ routine. If anyone as further thoughts on backup that would be appreciated also.

Remember, rockets are old school. We are going to the moon in a space elevator. Keep calm and get some moar.

Peace!

My suggestion is as follows:

There you go - the wallet you've created was created in RAM, and the digital files are now lost forever. If some magical hacker manages to somehow get the data, they will lack the long password to open it. If you need to receive payments, you have the address, and you have the view key if needed. If you need access to it, you have your 24 word seed, and you can now write out several copies of it so that you have an offsite copy (eg. a bank deposit box). Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.

Wow, that's so brutally paranoid... I love it!

Thanks.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Is there a website/formula where I can input my machines details to see if it is worth mining Monero?

There is a spreadsheet with some configurations (CPU and GPU are in different tabs) and it gives you an idea of the hash rate of your machine: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MI-ic0Os25hgGUImW54sUIjZY_pUNQNa_W8Se5pRGBs/edit#gid=0. Then you could use the two monero freenode bots (monerobot and monerogirl): "/msg monerobot !calc 100" or "/msg monerogirl !calc 100" (replace 100 with your hashrate). The two bots will give you slightly different approximations of what you should get with your hash rate.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Is there a website/formula where I can input my machines details to see if it is worth mining Monero?

You can calculate it in the irc channel of moreno. #moreno @ freenode server. Command is !calc x, where x = H/s. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Hey everyone,

What security measures do you recommend for your cold storage keys. I was thinking more about measures to prevent hacking/theft of the keys. Should i be paranoid to the point of creating the wallet in an air gap and never look into it until I need it? (Lets not go into the "Ruiu says badBIOS leaps air gaps" territory).

Regarding backup I'm doing the _strongly encrypt your files and stored them in offline and online sources and don't forget the deterministic seed_ routine. If anyone as further thoughts on backup that would be appreciated also.

Remember, rockets are old school. We are going to the moon in a space elevator. Keep calm and get some moar.

Peace!

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Take any machine you have lying around, even your normal workstation. You may find it easier to use an older computer that has no wifi or bluetooth if you're particularly paranoid.
2. Create a Linux or Windows bootable disk, and make sure you have the Monero binaries on the same disk or on a second disk (for Linux make sure you have also downloaded copies of the dependencies you will need, libboost1.55 and miniupnpc for instance).
3. Disconnect the network and/or Internet cables from your machine, physically remove the wifi card or switch the wifi/bluetooth off on a laptop if possible.
4. Boot into your bootable OS, install the dependencies if necessary.
5. Copy the Monero binaries to to a RAM disk (/dev/shm in Linux, Windows bootable ISOs normally have a Z: drive or something)
6. Don't run the Monero daemon. Instead, using the command line, use simplewallet to create a new wallet.
7. When prompted for a name, give it any name, it doesn't really matter.
8. When prompted for a password, type in like 50 - 100 random characters. Don't worry that you don't know the password, just make it LONG.
9. Write down (on paper) your 24 word mnemonic seed.
10. Write down (on your phone, on paper, on another computer, wherever you want) your address and view key.
11. Switch off the computer, remove the battery if there is one, and leave it physically off for a few hours.

There you go - the wallet you've created was created in RAM, and the digital files are now lost forever. If some magical hacker manages to somehow get the data, they will lack the long password to open it. If you need to receive payments, you have the address, and you have the view key if needed. If you need access to it, you have your 24 word seed, and you can now write out several copies of it so that you have an offsite copy (eg. a bank deposit box). Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
Hey everyone,

Peace!
Activity: 473
Merit: 250

Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Sounds interesting, but my feedback is:  I am supposed to type my exchange password into an app on a phone for which there is no source code, and no trace of where it sends that password?

I'd have the same concerns. Unless Poloniex or whoever offer an SSO, or this app's source is made available and we can deterministically verify the build in the Play store, using this app is extremely risky.

I like zTrader as it works with exchanges' API keys:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.bandicoot.ztrader
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
How i can mine monero on linux/bamt with GPU?

If it is an AMD GPU you need the claymore miner which I think (not sure) is Windows only. If it is an NVIDIA GPU you can use the open source tsiv miner linked from post #1 (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449)

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002
How i can mine monero on linux/bamt with GPU?
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Does anyone know when the new website is coming out?

Do you want the Butterfly Labs estimate, or my usual "sometime before August 30th, 2015"? :-P

Oh God.  can we quote Hitler, or show pictures of decapitations or anything not as disturbing as mentioning BFL?
Activity: 294
No need to worry, the new website has been set up, it will lauch soon, very soon. Mean while, grab your XMR while it's cheap now
Activity: 263
With a rooted phone you could make sure the app only talks to the servers it is supposed to talk. But you can't know what it talks unless you don't SSL it, in which case you might as well just run the app - your account gets hijacked either way.
donator

Do you want the Butterfly Labs estimate, or my usual "sometime before August 30th, 2015"? :-P
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
Sounds interesting, but my feedback is:  I am supposed to type my exchange password into an app on a phone for which there is no source code, and no trace of where it sends that password?

I'd have the same concerns. Unless Poloniex or whoever offer an SSO, or this app's source is made available and we can deterministically verify the build in the Play store, using this app is extremely risky.

Risky beyond the point of stupid to say the least.

New account. 1 post.
donator
Sounds interesting, but my feedback is:  I am supposed to type my exchange password into an app on a phone for which there is no source code, and no trace of where it sends that password?

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Android app for cryptonote trading

Hello guys!

I made an Android app - Cryptonote Bitcoin!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cryptcoins.cryptonote

- Trade cryptonote coins on HitBTC and Poloniex and get profit;
- Check your balance on exchanges;
- Nice widgets will inform you about last trades of cryptonote coins to bitcoin;
- See your active and trade history on HitBTC and Poloniex;

Will be waiting for your feedback!

Jump to: