Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1883. (Read 4670606 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I doubt you can attract investors if something like this is not clearly defined.

I could make exactly the opposite argument. Namely that you won't attract investors effectively if something is too inflexibly defined before the long term effects of that rigid decision are understood. Sure BTC is doing okay, but really nobody knows what the hell is going to happen when the rewards run out. In fact every somewhat credible analysis I've seen suggests it will be bad.

As an investor, I'd rather see some flexibility retained until a system that is clearly workable is invented, rigorously scrutinized, and well-tested in the real world. That hasn't happened yet.

If you really want a 100% fixed or 100% locked-in supply then this coin is not for you.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% inflation to preserve mining incentives.

I'm a little scared of this to be honest.

Can you guys make up your mind about it?

Is it going to be a % or a fixed amount of coins?

I doubt you can attract investors if something like this is not clearly defined.
legendary
I'd like to point out what I think is a scalability issue that has been bothering me for some days. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The current implementation of the daemon loads and keeps the entire blockchain in memory, thus consuming quite a lot of RAM (more than 700MB for me), an amount that keeps increasing as the blockchain grows. This issue is also present in Bytecoin's implementation (and all of its forks, actually) where it's getting really annoying. I think it's a waste of resources, and many modest machines (like cheap virtual servers) will soon be unable to run it well. Yeah, one could use swap space and to keep it running but it gets really inefficient.

I'm not aware if this issue has been pointed out by someone else, please let me know if it has been discussed previously. I'd like to know whether this is being dealt with and how.

It isn't just a "waste of resources" since there is also a benefit to storing the chain in RAM. You get more much faster and lower latency access to the chain for verification purposes. RAM databases are actually a thing now.

Scalability yes. But that being a pressing issue is a long way off.

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
Any paper wallets for Monero?
Just dump the .keys file with a hex dump program (for example hd on linux) and print that out. They are only 289 bytes.
It works.  Grin

I'd like to point out what I think is a scalability issue that has been bothering me for some days. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The current implementation of the daemon loads and keeps the entire blockchain in memory, thus consuming quite a lot of RAM (more than 700MB for me), an amount that keeps increasing as the blockchain grows. This issue is also present in Bytecoin's implementation (and all of its forks, actually) where it's getting really annoying. I think it's a waste of resources, and many modest machines (like cheap virtual servers) will soon be unable to run it well. Yeah, one could use swap space and to keep it running but it gets really inefficient.

I'm not aware if this issue has been pointed out by someone else, please let me know if it has been discussed previously. I'd like to know whether this is being dealt with and how.
The boolberry devs are working on storing the blockchain in a database so it won't be stored entirely in RAM.
Activity: 12

legendary

Just dump the .keys file with a hex dump program (for example hd on linux) and print that out. They are only 289 bytes.

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Activity: 280
Who cares?
Just place that huge buy order on poloniex.  All at once.

Sure thing buddy.

I promise I'll sell all my XMR into it.   Grin
Who cares?
Also posted in the MRO trading thread but it seems kinda dead. Looking to make a large batch purchase of monero. Any sellers contact me by PM.

That's what the exchanges are for:)

Shitty volume on the markets. Trivial amounts. Useless for a serious purchase.

Just place that huge buy order on poloniex.  All at once.
Activity: 994
Merit: 500
Also posted in the MRO trading thread but it seems kinda dead. Looking to make a large batch purchase of monero. Any sellers contact me by PM.

Shitty volume on the markets. Trivial amounts. Useless for a serious purchase.

Plenty of buy orders though

transfer 0 47sghzufGhJJDQEbScMCwVBimTuq6L5JiRixD8VeGbpjCTA12noXmi4ZyBZLc99e66NtnKff34fHsGR oyZk3ES1s1V4QVcB 4.14318 ce8684d7b51fda78c40b4491347ede5c6f5f20b6c8c0f6112b62eb5033575903
2014-Jun-04 04:40:11.654872 Error: transaction <857c79747a799ee1359011eb030514fe61b483e8cd684ace5b7b49578c9730d9> is too big. Transaction size: 102702 bytes, transaction size limit: 24400 bytes

Guess may be a question of the wallet, before we can normal business

Can't give payment id

Too much dust in your wallet (from pool mining?) so it takes many outputs to construct such a specific amount (4.14318). The maximum block size grows over time but right now you can get around it by sending multiple smaller transactions. Play around with numbers to see what works.
Who cares?

I don't think he wants to disturb the market value.
New to Monero -- does this project have a multiplatform GUI client in the making?

Hi instacash, the Qt GUI farthest along is this one: https://github.com/Neozaru/bitmonero-qt
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

TTM
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Hmm why don't you go to exchanges ?
Who cares?
Excuse my ignorance, new to Monero -- does this project have a multiplatform GUI client in the making?

Yep, there are actually a couple of people working on different implementations.  There is a bounty link on the OP, you can get a feel for the progress that has been made so far.
Activity: 798
New to Monero -- does this project have a multiplatform GUI client in the making?
TTM
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
2014-Jun-04 04:13:03.981774 Error: transaction is too big. Transaction size: 102845 bytes, transaction size limit: 24400 bytes

What's your mixin_count value ? Try to set it smaller, 1 is usually enough for your anonymous transaction.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 272
1xbit.com
Maybe you would like to step out of the lime light and reject responsibility for what is coming, call yourself a developer like Gavin and try to avoid having to make political decisions. Like it or not, each technical decision is a political decision. What you guys write into the code marks the barring for what is built on top of it. Make Monero as anonymous as possible and you make a political decision, introduce black lists (red lists á la Mike Hearn) and you make a political decision. It's in your power to make the right one. Luckily the community can help you guys to find the way. In this regard an open discussion regarding self-conception and strategy of this project is very important and about due. I encourage everybody to take part!

Not every implementation of financial privacy is or should be a platform for political activism.
Activity: 52
2014-Jun-04 04:13:03.981774 Error: transaction is too big. Transaction size: 102845 bytes, transaction size limit: 24400 bytes
Jump to: