Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1885. (Read 4670606 times)

legendary
Activity: 1197
Merit: 1000
Just opened new pool (0% fee)

https://www2.coinmine.pl/xmr/
Primary Node: xmr.coinmine.pl:5555

feeleep
Could you change the URL to:
xmr.coinmine.pl:5555

Also, can you tell us in which country your pool is located?

updated Smiley

pool server is located in Germany
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
Such a coin as Monero exchange must add without a vote!
high volume

current volume is not high as first week.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
high volume
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team

https://www2.coinmine.pl/mro/
Primary Node: mro.coinmine.pl:5555

feeleep
Could you change the URL to:
xmr.coinmine.pl:5555

Also, can you tell us in which country your pool is located?
Activity: 196
Merit: 10
Im going to be straight up. That logo is absurd.

Great software, great devs. Cant fault that. Marketing is below standard. That logo needs to go. I would like to know what respectable, profit driven pr/marketing firm would endorse such a thing. That is the furtherest image from professional and trustworthy. Truly, I have seen scamcoins produce better. Great marketing comes with a price tag and doesn't come from a basement. Start a donation thread for marketing campaign/development and award the contract to a first class business- That is something I would support.

There seems to be this ridiculous notion in crypto that marketing is the last step or it is of no importance until the "code" is perfect.

You may have the best product in crypto but without marketing, nobody cares. There is a small percentage that have identified the potential but not nearly enough to sustain emission growth. Until your product is portrayed in its proper light people cannot relate.

Investors indirectly secure your blockchain. Without us there is no miner incentive.

There is a bright future for the coin if it can secure market share as the dominant "anon' coin. Take your time and someone will fork cryptonote to make the hottest coin of 2014 (prob some X11 derivative. When X11 is old, they will just hard fork it). Without a doubt some noob is already working on this.

I have no problem with forks. Thats the nature of open source. If your not doing it well, somebody will come along and do it better.

I was in mexico last year, and I saw dollar being marketed every where. I saw this in canada too. The dollar is markted everywhere. you are right, a currency to be dominant needs to be markted first. the country that backs it is of little to no significance.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
it requires a vastly different RPC API. It more than likely requires a major change to the underlying database design, since payments are made to a single address with a different payment ID per-user. Watching for deposits is also challenging: the get_payments RPC API call needs to be polled for every payment ID instead of just hammering 'listreceivedbyaddress false' as one would for a Bitcoin-forked cryptocurrency.

It would be possible to provide a 99% compatible rpc interface however, making it relatively simpler to integrate with btc environments.
legendary
Activity: 1197

Primary Node: xmr.coinmine.pl:5555

feeleep
Monero Core Team
I said this before in this thread and some people said they didn't want it on Mintpal. I didn't know that someone had tried to ask them. That is a shame that they are not interested. Have you actually recieved a reply from them or did they just not respond?

I sent them support request for voting and got no replies, I then asked on IRC and also talked to both the Mintpal people on IRC via PM and every time they just were not interested at all.

I asked every 3 days for a while to see if they change their minds whilst Monero market was growing but they don't care.

So yeah I got replies.

Not interested for now.

I said this before in this thread and some people said they didn't want it on Mintpal. I didn't know that someone had tried to ask them. That is a shame that they are not interested. Have you actually recieved a reply from them or did they just not respond?

Quote from: Jay at Mintpal
Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion, however as MRO is not based off bitcoin we cannot currently add it. We will be looking at it again a few months down the line.

Regards,
Jay
​MintPal

That was received May 18

Same story here. I contacted Mintpal before we go to Poloniex. I suspect they pasted my answer when replying to Keyboard (or the other way around, when replying to me). . Then I contacted them again during our blitz introduction on Poloniex, at the top the game. Similar answer.

So I'd appreciate if people finally got it: We DID contacted Mintpal. Several times. Several of us. And we got explicit (and negative) answers.

I trust you to reply accordingly to the next newcomer who will ask the "M question" :-)
Activity: 798
I agree with people who dislike the new logo.

"I don't love it, but I think it will grow on me." Phil Knight, Nike CEO upong discovering the Swoosh logo that was just created, 1971

I like the logo personally, its something that can be tweaked and changed if really necessary. For now there are lots of other important things to do for the coin.
Monero Core Team
I agree with people who dislike the new logo.

"I don't love it, but I think it will grow on me." Phil Knight, Nike CEO upong discovering the Swoosh logo that was just created, 1971

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I think it's best to just tell people it's a form of money. If you try to get into all the nitty gritty details you'll lose their interest. If a talking head gets on TV and talks about Bitcoin to people in a retirement home the last thing they want to do is get into technical details and the potential for future uses. Just tell people it's money and they'll be satisfied and not that far from being wrong.

Anyway the whole reason the word money even came up was in my criticism of the new logo. I don't know, I just don't like the orange and black color, and it doesn't have that hip feel. Darkcoin's newest logo is actually one of the few logos in all of cryptocurrency that I really like and feel that it competes with the best corporate logos. It's sharp, simple, recognizable, unique... all of the attributes you want in a logo. This one is flat, circular, mismatching colors, boring, forgettable. Just my opinion! Not to hurt anyone's feelings who worked hard on it.

We've got someone working on sound-bite sized snippets to explain the facets and features of Monero, we'll probably find that cash-money-currency comes out a lot in those, so I don't fundamentally disagree with you:) It's more in terms of the logo not looking like an ancient Greek drachma than anything else. In other words: it shouldn't conjure up images of money from the logo, that's been done and basically every single altcoin logo I see nowadays has been "made" with this: http://graphicriver.net/item/coin-generator/2532303

I think time will tell how the logo goes. We had some really amazing submissions on our 99designs contest, and we settled on the one that was recommended to us by the experts. If anything gets redesigned or heavily tweaked it will be in the years to come; for the moment we're happy with our decision and we want to move on and focus on the real challenges (of which the logo wasn't one;))
Activity: 54
Merit: 257
We created two addresses for donations. Donations are not project-specific (we may create some project-specific addresses later) and are meant to help in development and raising awareness. The addresses also are on the OP.

Donations for general development:
- XMR (Monero) :
Code:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em
viewkey e422831985c9205238ef84daf6805526c14d96fd7b059fe68c7ab98e495e5703
- BTC (Bitcoin) :
Code:
1FhnVJi2V1k4MqXm2nHoEbY5LV7FPai7bb

updated by David Latapie
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Activity: 56
Yay! cryptsy thread!
Activity: 723
XMR topic on cryptsy : https://cryptsy.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/4000277700

Thanks to the person who just made this topic on the cryptsy adding webpage. I tried to but I dont know why the format of my thread was terrible so I ended up editing/deleting it.

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Yes - it's primarily due to the limitations we'll place on ourselves if we only think of it as money. I am talking more from a technical perspective than an economic one, since my grounding in economic theory is admittedly shaky, and I know that the association with traditional money is unavoidable (hence the ISO 4217 compliance in the XMR symbol). At the same time, we don't want to limit ourselves and our thinking.

With regards to the "layperson" understanding it: once we start down the road of saying things like "digital cash" the layperson goes "oh, so like PayPal?" Then anything awesome like M-of-N multisig (which Monero supports in the protocol just not in the client yet) is completely foreign, because you keep having to force the analogy. The same problem exists if you use "just like gold and silver" in place of "store of value", because people have this preconceived notion that gold and silver have value because of scarcity and utility (when most of its value is artificial and market driven anyway). You'll also run into difficulty trying to apply the analogy with regards to Monero's untraceable and unlinkable nature.

I think it's best to just tell people it's a form of money. If you try to get into all the nitty gritty details you'll lose their interest. If a talking head gets on TV and talks about Bitcoin to people in a retirement home the last thing they want to do is get into technical details and the potential for future uses. Just tell people it's money and they'll be satisfied and not that far from being wrong.

Anyway the whole reason the word money even came up was in my criticism of the new logo. I don't know, I just don't like the orange and black color, and it doesn't have that hip feel. Darkcoin's newest logo is actually one of the few logos in all of cryptocurrency that I really like and feel that it competes with the best corporate logos. It's sharp, simple, recognizable, unique... all of the attributes you want in a logo. This one is flat, circular, mismatching colors, boring, forgettable. Just my opinion! Not to hurt anyone's feelings who worked hard on it.
donator
New ticker? Again?!

We're planning on changing it every month to keep everyone on their toes. If you don't know what the ticker is how can you know where to look for it? It's like security through obscurity but 150% better Grin
donator
Thanks for explaining things to me Fluffypony. I feel much more up to speed on what's going on with this coin and the challenges it faces. Hopefully anyone with the same questions will be able to find this discussion that's happened in the last couple pages in this thread without repeating the same questions as me.  Roll Eyes

Monero is not money. It's a store of value and a very private medium of exchange.

Although I disagree with you here. I like to think of distributed ledger systems like Bitcoin and Monero as a new type of money that has even more features than money of the past. You said yourself it's a store of value (cash stores my value) and it's a private medium of exchange (just like cash). The blockchain can admittedly be used for things that have nothing to do with money like domain names and voting systems.

I guess my question is, is your point of contention with calling Monero money that you fear people will think of it as only money and disregard its other potential uses? Obviously it has some of the properties of what we traditionally think of as money (and possibly more) but I don't know if it's helpful to try and stop people from calling it money. For now it's the best word we have. I also like digital currency (virtual currency is bad because it implies it is fake or ephemeral). Cryptocurrency is also nice but it is not as useful as money or digital currency when explaining these things to laypersons.

Yes - it's primarily due to the limitations we'll place on ourselves if we only think of it as money. I am talking more from a technical perspective than an economic one, since my grounding in economic theory is admittedly shaky, and I know that the association with traditional money is unavoidable (hence the ISO 4217 compliance in the XMR symbol). At the same time, we don't want to limit ourselves and our thinking.

With regards to the "layperson" understanding it: once we start down the road of saying things like "digital cash" the layperson goes "oh, so like PayPal?" Then anything awesome like M-of-N multisig (which Monero supports in the protocol just not in the client yet) is completely foreign, because you keep having to force the analogy. The same problem exists if you use "just like gold and silver" in place of "store of value", because people have this preconceived notion that gold and silver have value because of scarcity and utility (when most of its value is artificial and market driven anyway). You'll also run into difficulty trying to apply the analogy with regards to Monero's untraceable and unlinkable nature.
Activity: 56
Activity: 728
Merit: 265
New ticker? Again?!
Jump to: