Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1993. (Read 4670562 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I agree on most points. Something cleverer is needed because the current formula is too blunt. But the scenario you described is actually the system working as intended. The CryptoNote developers didn't want blocks getting very large without genuine need for it because it permits a malicious attack. So miners out of self-interest would deliberately restrict the size, forcing the network to operate at the edge of the penalty-free size limit but not exceed it. The maximum block size is a moving average so over time it would grow to accommodate organic volume increase and the issue goes away. This system is most broken when volume suddenly spikes.

It isn't really broken in the case of spikes, it means you just have temporary congestion delays. You can prioritize your transaction by paying a higher fee or you can accept waiting for some available space (or even waiting until the block size grows). This part is much like bitcoin.
Activity: 313
Merit: 100
Ive been mining on extremepool.org using their cryptonote-easy-miner. The program generated a new address and started mining.

In the folder it created:
wallet
wallet.address.txt
wallet.keys

also in the binaries folder there is a log with the pub/priv key it created.

I tried to just load up monero with those files in the monero folder but I dont konw the password to that wallet. X and nothing are not the password. lol

I would like to either load up this wallet in monero or import the private key. Can anyone help?

Anyone?

No idea, but shoudln't you have chosen the pass when you created the wallet?

It created it automatically. The miner program creates a new address to mine to. I just assumed that I could copy over the files it created into the monero folder and it would work but I had to rename them and then I couldn't guess the password when monero tried to load the wallet.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Hey,

is there a thread for that Lukas CPU miner? I'm getting an error "libsomehtingwomething is missing" and can't seem to find a solution..

Re you on a debian-based linux? Then delete your old version and use this command, which also can be found on theGetting started page
Code:
cd ~ && rm install_monero.sh && wget https://ottrbutt.com/monero/install_monero.sh && bash install_monero.sh

Maybe you need to remove the "&& rm install_monero.sh", if you never used th script

Nah, win7 sadly. I feel ashamed..
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Penalty for too large block size is disastrous in the long run.

Once MRO value increases a lot, block penalties will become more critical of an issue. Pools will fix this issue by placing a limit on number and size of transactions. Transaction fees will go up, because the pools will naturally accept the most profitable transactions. It will become very expensive to send with more than 0 mixin. Anonymity benefits of ring signatures are lost, and the currency becomes unusable for normal transactions.

You are only looking at part of the system.

The block size grows if blocks are being penalized, and penalty free size grows as well. So you can't maintain high transaction fees.

Miners are supposed to limit transactions in each block. It is supposed to be profitable to include a small amount of transaction data that exceeds the penalty free size, because the penalty is initially small. This prevents bloat and serves as the feedback mechanism to the block size adjustment.

Currently I don't believe these mechanisms are even implemented correctly (as described in the paper). That should be fixed first.

Also, there is already a hard (but dynamic) limit on the size and number of transactions, so whether or miners limit transaction to reduce the penalty (as they should) the effect is essentially the same.

Whether the cost becomes prohibitive in practice remains to be seen. I don't think you can just guess. If it does, then yes a hard fork would be appropriate. By design this is supposed to be self regulating. An interesting experiment in any case.

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Hey,

is there a thread for that Lukas CPU miner? I'm getting an error "libsomehtingwomething is missing" and can't seem to find a solution..

Re you on a debian-based linux? Then delete your old version and use this command, which also can be found on theGetting started page
Code:
cd ~ && rm install_monero.sh && wget https://ottrbutt.com/monero/install_monero.sh && bash install_monero.sh

Maybe you need to remove the "&& rm install_monero.sh", if you never used th script
Activity: 560

Once MRO value increases a lot, block penalties will become more critical of an issue. Pools will fix this issue by placing a limit on number and size of transactions. Transaction fees will go up, because the pools will naturally accept the most profitable transactions. It will become very expensive to send with more than 0 mixin. Anonymity benefits of ring signatures are lost, and the currency becomes unusable for normal transactions.

This should be removed in the coming hardfork.

I agree on most points. Something cleverer is needed because the current formula is too blunt. But the scenario you described is actually the system working as intended. The CryptoNote developers didn't want blocks getting very large without genuine need for it because it permits a malicious attack. So miners out of self-interest would deliberately restrict the size, forcing the network to operate at the edge of the penalty-free size limit but not exceed it. The maximum block size is a moving average so over time it would grow to accommodate organic volume increase and the issue goes away. This system is most broken when volume suddenly spikes.
Ive been mining on extremepool.org using their cryptonote-easy-miner. The program generated a new address and started mining.

wallet
wallet.address.txt
wallet.keys

I tried to just load up monero with those files in the monero folder but I dont konw the password to that wallet. X and nothing are not the password. lol

I would like to either load up this wallet in monero or import the private key. Can anyone help?

Anyone?

No idea, but shoudln't you have chosen the pass when you created the wallet?
Activity: 313

wallet
wallet.address.txt
wallet.keys

Anyone?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Is it fair to say that the majority of the blocks are being found by solo miners? The pool hash rates are rather lower than I would have though for the overall network hash rate.
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
Is the dev back from holiday ?

Hey guys,

I knew I said I'd be back on Wednesday, but someone took it upon themselves to go firebomb the house next to my ex's. The fire spread to my ex's house and now my cats are dead and I need to take a detour flight out to collect their ashes.

Should be back Friday, I don't guarantee immediate productiveness. Noodledoodle should handle merging new PRs and maintaining the code base until then

Devs are allowed to go on holiday?
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

Hey,

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

TTM
Activity: 140
is there anyone can withdraw MRO from Poloniex lately ? Did they fix their system ?

No, I still have the same coin stuck there

ahhh crap...

can't believe they've added MRO for more than 24 hours but can't get the withdrawal function work.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
I feel like 300% is a lot for one day. Might have to sell a few...
Activity: 200
Hello.
How I can copy and paste in my wallet ?
Thanks for answer.

To paste: Hold alt+space, press E. This drove me nuts too, should be in OP imo.

was this helpful? you know what to do :3

4AoyZPYiFp3RkEth1Mkxh7FLs9RMTG2jgQQ1QuHP7SajT22P4odgSpPb4YMxrjTPBUgmfdEme2vFZd2 PEiYvqoQuFUzRXxD

So...
ALL Pools have 50KH/s COMBINED.

Yet, network hash is 20x more. Am i the only one who thinks that some people are insta mining with prepared faster miners?

The pool software is immature and still being developed. I expect them to dominate mining in a few weeks.
Activity: 249
So...
ALL Pools have 50KH/s COMBINED.

Yet, network hash is 20x more. Am i the only one who thinks that some people are insta mining with prepared faster miners?

For many there are no need for pools - yet. Just wait few more weeks.
Activity: 649
Merit: 505
well it is possible that most of the miners are solo miners.... also because pool mining is kinda new to this coin ^^
Jump to: