Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 704. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
If you can round up such people I am sure the dev team would be more than willing to accommodate their "testing/hacking" of testnet versions before release.  Do you know such volunteers that would do it for the accolades?

Possibly, I don't doubt a thread looking for a security position on the team would not go unfilled. Maybe we should ask BTCExpress?

I look forward to your first pull request, and thanks for offering to help!

Nice to see you back in the thread, been awhile. I know it's frustrating after all the work you guys put in but this edge case seems so basic. I'm guessing you guys don't have someone that's position is Project Manager? I can see how many people working on various parts of a project can allow these things to slip through but this is not a website we are talking about where people are buying tic-tacs. This has been in the works and delayed for quite awhile and the reason for that was because Of the testing going on, correct? AFA helping, well that's not possible, 20 years ago yes but not these days unfortunately. Could you answer my question on which devs are actively participating in the project currently?

BTW, does anyone have that link for voting on craptsy? I think it's about time we got added right? Smiley

Ohh and good job on the quick response guys.

We got added a while ago lol -> https://www.cryptsy.com/markets/view/XMR_BTC

Also, as a general remark to your post, bear in mind that most people working on Monero are merely volunteers and got day jobs, and/or companies to run as well. Therefore, their time is mostly limited. On top of that, resources are kind of limited.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
If you can round up such people I am sure the dev team would be more than willing to accommodate their "testing/hacking" of testnet versions before release.  Do you know such volunteers that would do it for the accolades?

Possibly, I don't doubt a thread looking for a security position on the team would not go unfilled. Maybe we should ask BTCExpress?

Nice to see you back in the thread, been awhile. I know it's frustrating after all the work you guys put in but this edge case seems so basic. I'm guessing you guys don't have someone that's position is Project Manager? I can see how many people working on various parts of a project can allow these things to slip through but this is not a website we are talking about where people are buying tic-tacs. This has been in the works and delayed for quite awhile and the reason for that was because Of the testing going on, correct? AFA helping, well that's not possible, 20 years ago yes but not these days unfortunately. Could you answer my question on which devs are actively participating in the project currently?

BTW, does anyone have that link for voting on craptsy? I think it's about time we got added right? Smiley

Ohh and good job on the quick response guys.

Activity: 306
Merit: 251
Thanks for the fast fix.  Updated here. 
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
After all this time on testnet I'm surprised to hear this, isn't there anyone on the team adept at at debugging and exploit testing?
Does anyone actually have a position that actively attack testnet before release? If not there are those out there that relish in this and do it for the accolades.
Not trying to be insulting hear as I know how hard you guys work on this but alpha/beta stages are there for a reason and really this is a simple expliot that should have been on the first error checks before release. I wish I it was 16 years ago, as I would have jumped on this just for the lulz.

Also are all the devs listed active? Did they all check this prior to release?  What is the list that signed off on this?

We have a pretty comprehensive test suite, and this was an oversight in the tests - we missed adding one for this edge-case.

As always, this is an open-source project, feel free to submit a pull-request to expand the unit tests and core tests.

To get you started, here are all the unit tests: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/tree/master/tests/unit_tests

And here are the hard fork unit tests we've created: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/tests/unit_tests/hardfork.cpp

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
NB: https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/2452/monero-network-malicious-fork-from-block-913193-updates-and-resolution

From that post (which will be kept updated) -

Hi all,

The Monero network was (once again) the subject of an attack. Due to an error during the development of 0.9, Hydrogen Helix, we omitted a check that allowed for v2 blocks to be added to the network prior to the hard fork block height. Thus instead of forking on March 20, at block height 1009827, a v2 block was added to the network at block height 913193.

This is obviously problematic as not all services have updated to 0.9, and the bulk of the network hash rate is still on 0.8.x. We are preparing a point release to 0.9 that resolves this, but in the meantime only if you are running 0.9 you can do the following as a quick patch:

Shut down your Monero daemon
Grab a checkpoints.json file from getmonero: https://downloads.getmonero.org/checkpoints.json
Put the file in your bitmonero working directory (eg. ~/.bitmonero or C:\ProgramData\bitmonero)
Restart the daemon
As soon as the patched point release is out you can remove the checkpoints.json file, if you wish, and run the updated version. The checkpoints.json patch is a quick fix and does not prevent the attacker from replaying their attack at a later block.

After all this time on testnet I'm surprised to hear this, isn't there anyone on the team adept at at debugging and exploit testing?
Does anyone actually have a position that actively attack testnet before release? If not there are those out there that relish in this and do it for the accolades.
Not trying to be insulting hear as I know how hard you guys work on this but alpha/beta stages are there for a reason and really this is a simple expliot that should have been on the first error checks before release. I wish I it was 16 years ago, as I would have jumped on this just for the lulz.

Also are all the devs listed active? Did they all check this prior to release?  What is the list that signed off on this?

If you can round up such people I am sure the dev team would be more than willing to accommodate their "testing/hacking" of testnet versions before release.  Do you know such volunteers that would do it for the accolades?
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
thanks for the fix. my node was stuck too.
give it some time, network will recover fast.

no matter how good the devs are, bugs will happen. i can imagine how it happend.

if you forget something you forget something..if you are unlucky, it was something important.

also i think its important to mention one of the testing principles here: testing can only show the presence of bugs, but never proove their absence

so the right amount of testing is always hard to find.

but i agree, its a mistake in a place where there definetely should not be one.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Nice. Thanks. Upgraded
legendary
** IMPORTANT **

Everyone that is running 0.9 needs to mandatory upgrade to 0.9.1!!

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases/tag/v0.9.1

Again, mandatory upgrade for everyone that is running 0.9

This resolves the issues caused by the malicious fork which is described here -> https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/2452/monero-network-malicious-fork-from-block-913193-updates-and-resolution

EDIT: All pools listed here seem to be on the correct chain -> https://monerohash.com/#network
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
The quoting above is misleading.

Sorry, I tried to clarify and messed up.  Embarrassed
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
No harm done ? Look at the net hash rate, it has halved...

No apparent connection

Isn't the time window for the complexity small enough that the chain forking in two would have a visible impact on the computed hashrate?
If the miners work equally on each fork forever, the computed hashrate on each side is half of the initial one.

The quoting above is misleading. I was responding to:

So what, it had just doubled. Although that could have been the attacks. Any dev input on this?

There was no apparent connection to the increase in the hash rate earlier in the week.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free

No apparent connection

Isn't the time window for the complexity small enough that the chain forking in two would have a visible impact on the computed hashrate?
If the miners work equally on each fork forever, the computed hashrate on each side is half of the initial one.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
I don't know of any major software that doesn't need patches or updates. Look at Bitcoin or Windows for obvious examples. So just because there was an issue is not the big deal since that happens with 99% of software. The main point is that the devs jumped on it quickly, provided a patch, and are continuously providing updates...that should be the focus imho.

Absolutely. If anything the community should have more trust (not less) in the Monero development team after this.
Activity: 850
I don't know of any major software that doesn't need patches or updates. Look at Bitcoin or Windows for obvious examples. So just because there was an issue is not the big deal since that happens with 99% of software. The main point is that the devs jumped on it quickly, provided a patch, and are continuously providing updates...that should be the focus imho.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
NB: https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/2452/monero-network-malicious-fork-from-block-913193-updates-and-resolution

From that post (which will be kept updated) -

Hi all,

The Monero network was (once again) the subject of an attack. Due to an error during the development of 0.9, Hydrogen Helix, we omitted a check that allowed for v2 blocks to be added to the network prior to the hard fork block height. Thus instead of forking on March 20, at block height 1009827, a v2 block was added to the network at block height 913193.

This is obviously problematic as not all services have updated to 0.9, and the bulk of the network hash rate is still on 0.8.x. We are preparing a point release to 0.9 that resolves this, but in the meantime only if you are running 0.9 you can do the following as a quick patch:

Shut down your Monero daemon
Grab a checkpoints.json file from getmonero: https://downloads.getmonero.org/checkpoints.json
Put the file in your bitmonero working directory (eg. ~/.bitmonero or C:\ProgramData\bitmonero)
Restart the daemon
As soon as the patched point release is out you can remove the checkpoints.json file, if you wish, and run the updated version. The checkpoints.json patch is a quick fix and does not prevent the attacker from replaying their attack at a later block.

Also are all the devs listed active? Did they all check this prior to release?  What is the list that signed off on this?

While I agree with your frustration, I think its continuously important to remember the big 0 in front of the version number of Monero (and hell, of bitcoin). Even at the active on-the-mainchain state, all of this software is beta. (of course, we're at 0.9 now... so, we gonna be seeing a lot more decimals put in? I don't know how versioning works. It always fails me when I write manuscripts).

And having been witness to all of the work that went into 0.9, shits gonna happen and your never going to reach perfection in the lab. And at some point you just push things so they *do* break.

Like I said, this kind of stuff can be frustrating and disappointing... but your other option is to wait for a big 1 to go in front of the version number, when the developers feel that their code is really ready for production.

For instance, if some alien entity came to us and said "hey, we don't use currency, but we kind of like how it helps your civilization work. How can we implement it?" We wouldn't try to "sell" them on our experimental new technology. We'd introduce them to our incredibly arcane (but functioning) central banking system and say "yeah we know it sucks, so we're working on version 2" and then show them cryptocurrencies.
legendary
There was no fucking attack, it was just a bug!

Oh really? Where did the version 2 block come from?

Buggy code!

OK, which line?
legendary
Nice try from the attackers. Very fast answer, thanks to everyone who worked on the fix.
No harm done I believe.

So what, it had just doubled. Although that could have been the attacks. Any dev input on this?

No apparent connection

What was the timeframe of the attack?

The block that caused the network to fork was 913193

This must be why withdrawals are locked on bittrex, are they locked on all exchanges?

We notified exchanges as soon as possible. How they responded is a function of their own operations.
legendary
Nice try from the attackers. Very fast answer, thanks to everyone who worked on the fix.
No harm done I believe.

What was the timeframe of the attack?

This must be why withdrawals are locked on bittrex, are they locked on all exchanges?

LOL I always buy at the "Interesting" times! Cheesy

Yes, Poloniex' wallet is disabled as well.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Kudos to the Monero development team for being alert and acting quickly to remedy the attack. Just like the fast response to the last major attack in 2014 the development team has proven itself. Thank you for being great stewards for Monero and continuing to improve upon the CryptoNote technology you inherited.

The Monero codebase looks nothing like it did in summer 2014 and that is a good thing. The Monero development team and Monero Research Lab deserve a tremendous amount of recognition for all of their work.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!

It was an attack.

Someone created a block that can't be created by just using the 0.9 client.
So the attacker changed the code of 0.9 a bit so he/she/they was/were able to mine a block that was a v2block in stead of the default v1block.
legendary
Activity: 1092

Oh really? Where did the version 2 block come from?

Buggy code!
Jump to: