Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 747. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
Sidechain depends on Bitcoin's transaction fees, security and confirmation latency.

Also, sidechain has its own transaction fees, security and confirmation latency.

It means that sidechain has more room to fail, less secure, cost more and aggregated confirmation latency.

It can be a nice feature. But it can not solve Bitcoin's root issues.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

Because side chains would be hard pegged and linked at the protocol level to Bitcoin. Eventually with the above solution peeps will go " so why we using Bitcoin?" And then uh oh.

Something tells me it would be more like Bitcoin transaction does not confirm or takes days to confirm or is very expensive to confirm. And then uh oh.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
The quote in this tweet will please many of you. I asked Peter Todd for permission to use it, so feel free to retweet.

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/664123851299667968

edit: Wow that was quick. Shapeshift already retweeted me!

edit #2: I apologize in advance for not tweeting @xmr_to this time. My excuse is the 140 character limitation

It is called cross chain mixing of Bitcoin using Monero in order to make Bitcoin private and fungible. I have argued that for this reason Monero will not replace Bitcoin on privacy / fungibility alone. Blocksize is another issue altogether.

Other than the fees involved (and maximum transaction size) why are sidechains needed to "make Bitcoin private and fungible" when the above solution seems to work today?

Because side chains would be hard pegged and linked at the protocol level to Bitcoin. Eventually with the above solution peeps will go " so why we using Bitcoin?" And then uh oh.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
The quote in this tweet will please many of you. I asked Peter Todd for permission to use it, so feel free to retweet.

edit #2: I apologize in advance for not tweeting @xmr_to this time. My excuse is the 140 character limitation

It is called cross chain mixing of Bitcoin using Monero in order to make Bitcoin private and fungible. I have argued that for this reason Monero will not replace Bitcoin on privacy / fungibility alone. Blocksize is another issue altogether.

Other than the fees involved (and maximum transaction size) why are sidechains needed to "make Bitcoin private and fungible" when the above solution seems to work today?
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
a portrait of reptilla would fetch many XMR

A bowling date with the Dude would fetch many XMR at auction

A precious-metal XMR signature "ring"  would fetch some XMR

Signet ring? How to cast digital signatures into iron is bejond me. Thinking about ways, technology wise. This would not work on a techlevel below smart RFID tags. Is it possible to not only power (wireless, like Tesla tried) the tag's chip but also a led requesting yes/no on payment, additional button?
Stephenson's Cryptonomicon on my mind, but memory fails me. Been some other story featuring a geek's heritage engraved into a ring, symetric AES cypher to decrypt stuff of importance. That wretched tablet where I stored this ebook was a mistake to obtain.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Hey everybody!

Monero looks to be active on Shapeshift.io once again.

Any news re why it was broken?
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Hey everybody!

Monero looks to be active on Shapeshift.io once again.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
a portrait of reptilla would fetch many XMR

A bowling date with the Dude would fetch many XMR at auction

A precious-metal XMR signature "ring"  would fetch some XMR

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Painting SOLD.

Consider painting more nice things that could be interesting to Monero idealists!
More people were on the line that just those who contacted you on time Wink
Activity: 395
Merit: 408
Bitcoin OG artworks collection
Painting SOLD.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

If you want to outbid me you have to offer him better than 300USD in mark-to-market XMR priced at acceptance, all-inclusive, shipped to USA, with escrow.

Curiously, XMR is showing signs of potentially becoming a pre-eminent currency of creative patronage....?

Darn, I was negotiating with him on it as well (shipping options). Seems that we have a real piece of history here!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

If you want to outbid me you have to offer him better than 300USD in mark-to-market XMR priced at acceptance, all-inclusive, shipped to USA, with escrow.

Curiously, XMR is showing signs of potentially becoming a pre-eminent currency of creative patronage....?

I'd pay for art in XMR.  Grin

would you get the XMR from your bit-furry?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
New Monero Mixxive: https://www.mixcloud.com/Vanderi/monero-mixxives-6-2015-hydrogen-helix-the-new-era/

Please give our friend the talented Vanderi some love with listens, favorites, shares and follows!

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
//offtopic. I'll delete it if against the rules.

We are raising donations for this campaign. There are already 351$ and 0.0403 BTC in donations for Bojia:
"The 80 years old mother Bojia Bikova was accused of growing hemp by the Bulgarian police, who found a few uprooted sprigs of hemp in her field in the countryside. She was sentenced to pay about $1100 including court taxes. The monthly pension of old mother Bojia is $100. The amount she has to pay is close to the full amount of her pension for the whole year."
You could watch a short video about her case here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqmGkti9uUQ.
I created an XMR address for this campaign. Please support it. If in doubt about the validity of the address, I could ask our admin to add an OpenAlias XMR address to promena.org:
Code:
49bXbjMqAGmQCApWssWKMd9pnMq2AnExkUCrajnAeGM6dsJNagvwCd8VQxVWs3gamMQTxWirG9yrEeKpSocFyTGbH4TEvu4

//offtopic
This may be the first non-governmental organization accepting Monero donations for its campaigns. We added OpenAlias xmr address to promena.org. It seems that the domain registrar is not adding TXT DNS records correctly with their GUI. They are adding "invisible spaces" like the space in the Monero address in bitcointalk (you could see the spaces here - type promena.org and select TXT record: http://manytools.org/network/query-dns-records-online). The result is that you can't add a valid OpenAlias address (or any valid long words TXT record). How many domain registrars are out there which are doing the same?
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018
Hello!

Discount

My first Monero art.
Original painting with certificate
Monero Bits

270 USD
190 USD
Free shipping
click to ZOOM

My abstract paintings thread
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/if-you-missed-to-buy-physical-in-2013-you-have-a-chance-to-buy-digital-in-2023-361155

My BITCOIN PEAKS scupltures thread
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/delete-this-1035826

What country are the paintings being shipped from? It looks nice to me and could become a collectors item one day!
I am the artist who post this pic.
Look at the pic and you will see shipment location.
PM if interesting please.

It's a shame though you converted "As Far As I Am" to this.
Activity: 395
Merit: 408
Bitcoin OG artworks collection
I am also interested. I have a base in Serbia, does that qualify for any cheaper shipping than Estonia?

What do you think you have a base in Serbia?
Belgrade.
Do you also speak Serbian?

PM if interesting,please
Activity: 687
Merit: 500
novag
Some positive news?
Jump to: