Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation - page 2178. (Read 3312350 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
September 01, 2014, 05:53:14 AM
I think after this little correction, we will push further upwards. We are still in the upwards "channel". I think we will lose steam once we are around +- 0.006. What are your opinions on this rpitiela?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
September 01, 2014, 03:27:44 AM
Typically altcoins are designed to be pump and dumps, where the business model of the founders is to pump up the exchange rate of the coin, and then sell as much as they can (which is typically not very much) at high price, and then move on to the next project while leaving the users debate about if the coin has future or not.

Monero and Bitcoin have the win-win earnings model. We build the ecosystem in the long run, confident that the more people we get on board, the more valuable everybody's coins become. Dump is not an issue, the only person losing is the one selling out cheaply, and it is OK since we need dispersion. Newcomers also win, unlike in other coins where the direction is down.
Activity: 469
Merit: 250
English Motherfucker do you speak it ?
August 31, 2014, 08:23:57 PM
Monero.
Reasons: Excellent anonymity. Currently sits on 5th spot on www.Coingecko.com but only 11 on www.coinmarketcap.com
This means that Monero is undervalued right now.

Here is a comparison I made with Monero v.s other coins.

First. Let's look at Blackcoin a pump and dump currently at 16 spot at Coinmarketcap. Chart indicates two peaks, with no rebound and currently falling more for every day. Notice the low volume after the initial two pump and dumps. It is incredibly small.

Secondly let's look at Xcurrency. An incredible huge pump and dump with zero volume except it's initial peak. This train crashed already at first station.  

And now let's take a look at Monero.  USD marketcap is once again reaching it's previous all time high and volume is there. This tells that demand for XMR is still very high for it's current price.

Activity: 644
Merit: 500
August 31, 2014, 07:33:10 PM
rikkejohn, the fact that XMR is mentioned in Bitcoin bullbear report is big, they do never write about altcoins except LTC. They have had that premium trading magazine for a couple of years now

It's not big, it is a report (I guess), and given the noise made lately and the volume traded at Poloniex maybe a mention was worthwhile.

It proves nothing about the future.

Seriously: Does the sideways trading not worry you? I've been involved with alts for a long time, so I know when a coin is having its price held up, and pushed up.

Now that doesn't mean we have hit the peak, we could go another 50% or more. But there is a peak on this, and I suspect from that point there will be a massive tumble.

I wouldn't touch Monero with a barge pole. It is on such thin ground, and a few movers pulling out of the market cap game will see it nosedive.

You'll see I'm right, eventually. But if you are genuine I hope you win on this.
August 31, 2014, 06:34:05 PM
rikkejohn, the fact that XMR is mentioned in Bitcoin bullbear report is big, they do never write about altcoins except LTC. They have had that premium trading magazine for a couple of years now
August 31, 2014, 06:25:01 PM
You know that XMR is doing great when

... It holds up during BTC crashes
... It gets bought up as quickly as condoms do in Thailand
... It gets mentioned in Bitcoin bullbear report
... It have no unofficial official GUI
... It passes USD all time high marked cap again
... It is destined to be used for Open Bazaar

Well all of those points are kind of lame.

... many coins hold up during BTC crashes, especially if sponsored by Polonix et al
... It doesn't ... and the sideways trading suggests Feathercoin tactics
... Okay, well .... erm
... It does, I made one on my Commodore 64
... Feathercoin again
... haha
August 31, 2014, 05:54:17 PM
You know that XMR is doing great when

... Unavailing the truth about... threads appear
... It holds up during BTC crashes
... It gets bought up as quickly as condoms do in Thailand
... It gets mentioned in Bitcoin bullbear report
... It have no unofficial official GUI
... It passes USD all time high marked cap again
... It is destined to be used for Open Bazaar

August 31, 2014, 04:46:07 PM
Price dropping, even with BTC dropping.

But still a lot of trade, sideways and down.

That market cap is the thing that matters .. apparently.
August 31, 2014, 02:43:11 PM
USD marketcap hitting ATH tomorrow most likely.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
August 31, 2014, 08:21:04 AM
("fiat pays the bill, BTC buys XMR, XMR paves the future")

lol well said, thats some good elevator speech
Caught at my own game! Good catch.
https://pay.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2e4w03/moneros_elevators_speech/ck5d7wr
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
August 31, 2014, 06:26:57 AM
XMR is above DRK again.

XMR will be above everything. We are so close to 5 mBTC.

XMR > BTC in 2015 !!!  Grin

only because of the recent btc dump? keeps dreaming, who think that btc is dying make me rotfl so hard
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
August 31, 2014, 06:03:21 AM
Most people consider Monero because of privacy, but one must not ignore adaptive limits as a feature in Monero.  Adaptive limits on its own can be a game changer, since Bitcoin will have to hard fork in order to remain number 1.
Completely true. I keep saying to people that the adaptative limit is the hidden gem. Ring signature is easier to market, but the real power for me is adaptative limit (much like "money" is easier to market than "blockchain", even though the true power lies in the latter, not the former).

IMO, Gresham's Law requires XMR to be held in exponentially increasing (proportional to network effect utility growth) preference to BTC, just as BTC is held in exponentially increasing preference to fiat trash cash.
I'm already 75% in XMR (compared to BTC) and 60% in crypto (compared to fiat), so it seems I am on the righ track, especially considering I do not plan to have much more fiat ("fiat pays the bill, BTC buys XMR, XMR paves the future")
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 30, 2014, 08:31:06 PM

Not possible  Shocked

It's possible, but I am much more conservative in my speculation:

XMR > BTC in 2015 2017!!!  Grin

If we make it XMR > [BTC today ~$500], then 2017 sounds nice. If we're talking about XMR/BTC rate, I doubt that'll be happening that soon. Smiley

I'll gladly take that bet, my good Sir.

IMO, Gresham's Law requires XMR to be held in exponentially increasing (proportional to network effect utility growth) preference to BTC, just as BTC is held in exponentially increasing preference to fiat trash cash.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
August 30, 2014, 08:23:53 PM

Not possible  Shocked

If we make it XMR > [BTC today ~$500], then 2017 sounds nice. If we're talking about XMR/BTC rate, I doubt that'll be happening that soon. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 30, 2014, 07:56:50 PM

Not possible  Shocked

legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
August 30, 2014, 07:50:33 PM
Is simple as this, if 50% of XMR would be minted in first month, few people would buy them and hold and price would go x10 or x100 in few months and not many people would got into coin at all, community would be weak. And some other coin would take XMR spot. As it is is perfect since will keep coin at low price for longer period of time + noone got coins super cheap. What you think is better is at quite some other coins, so i think is better you chose those.

This is kinda nonsense, as you are pretty apparently comparing to DRK (at 50% of current supply, which isn't even true anymore), but their community (of which I am a part as well) is quite big and active. They have the longest thread in the entire altcoin section. The other part of it is, absolutely some people got XMR at super cheap prices. I was one of them.

You are spot on about fast emission keeping price relatively low for early adopters/accumulators.

I did not meant any particular coin. You said that emission curve of Monero is bad and would be better if would be more mined at early start. I told you there are 100 of such coins already. And i told you that is really bad for the coin.

Emission curve of Moreno is perfect. Today 4 months after start, daily gets mined almost same amount of coins as on first day. Is perfect as it is.

Super cheap Moneros would be bought at 0.00001BTC or mined at that cost. Or even cheaper. Coins with emission curve as you said you want to have for Moreno have such cases.

Not many Moneros were traded under 0.001 BTC. Compared to whole trade volume of past 4 months are not worth of mentioning.

And About DRK and its community.
I dont know really DRK emission curve, I dont know how strong community is. I dont know when was coin launched. But if emission curve is as you wanted for Monero, then at time when Monero will be as old as is DRK right now, Monero community will be way stronger and compact then DRK community is now.

I don't think I said that at all. I said it rewards early adopters, but it then becomes opinion on what's good/bad. I didn't give one.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
August 30, 2014, 06:57:13 PM
XMR > BTC in 2015 !!!  Grin
Not possible  Shocked
18m XMR vs 21m BTC, its possible but highly improbable that soon.
Well this is just nonsense. Once the next spike happens everything (well most) will go to new heights.
Bitcoin will be really far away from the 2nd coin once it happens. It's one thing to be optimistic in regards to Monero, it's another thing to have unrealistic beliefs.
The price of Monero seems nice today though.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you; however if Bitcoin chokes over the 1 MB blocksize limit during the next boom, it is quite possible. Most people consider Monero because of privacy, but one must not ignore adaptive limits as a feature in Monero.  Adaptive limits on its own can be a game changer, since Bitcoin will have to hard fork in order to remain number 1.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
August 30, 2014, 12:20:20 PM
Is there a rich list for XMR?

I obtained about 40k back when this coin was still young, I'm curious if that makes me an XMR whale or a small fish.

Does anyone see this coin going back to 60+ price?

You may want to consider adding to bounties to increase your holding value. This coin has a ton more potential that seems to be held back only by lack of funding.

BTW I hold zero ATM but have been watching (wish I had found this coin earlier).

I think anything over 10k could be considered a whale.

Also, I think a generous donation to the XMR devs is the best way of accelerating progress. They are taking time to make sure quality work is being done.

Please join the Monero Community Hall of Fame! https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monero-community-hall-of-fame-700400
EFS
staff
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2065
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 30, 2014, 12:05:56 PM
price still less than 50% of ATH, not late to join Wink

Same applies for Bitcoin. It's not late to join both coins.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 30, 2014, 11:51:10 AM
Not possible  Shocked
18m XMR vs 21m BTC, its possible but highly improbable that soon.
Well this is just nonsense. Once the next spike happens everything (well most) will go to new heights.
Bitcoin will be really far away from the 2nd coin once it happens. It's one thing to be optimistic in regards to Monero, it's another thing to have unrealistic beliefs.
The price of Monero seems nice today though.
Jump to: