Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 47. (Read 397616 times)

legendary
Activity: 1061
Merit: 1283
Why my Visual Studio 12 show mw this error? I can't open the source code!

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
I am trying to learn C programming and thought "what the heck, might as well start here since I am interested in XRP's.

you are joking right !?

google : "c programming tutorials" and save your time Smiley

and what is xrp ?

If you can not say anything usefull,,, please shutup
If you're going to talk about ripple (XRP) in a primecoinn thread(XPM), please shutup
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
regarding haveged I can confirmed it messed up my mining.
I'm chaining blocks as usual since I stopped the service.

You have been warned !
DO "died" when they limited users to 5 droplets, they had the best prices if you were willing to manage 100+ servers
Activity: 820
Merit: 1000
Hi

This is for mikaelh or anybody that can provide a decent answer..

I am trying to understand the current mining algorithm used in the miner, but, since I am a noob when it comes to C programming, I have a hard time understanding it.

mikaelh  ... did you use your own algorithm and, if so, can you please describe it or is there an article on the web available? I have searched for algorithms but found none yet that corresponds to yours. I am trying to learn C programming and thought "what the heck, might as well start here since I am interested in XRP's.

Any help would be highly appreciated........
Hi Dummy, learning c programming and being able to understand the extremely complex math behind the prime coin miner are two separate topics. I would class myself as an accomplished programmer (it's been my day job for 15 years) but I don't understand the xpm algorithm despite reading a lot about it. If your goal is to learn c, I would start with that by looking at some tutorials.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
I am trying to learn C programming and thought "what the heck, might as well start here since I am interested in XRP's.

you are joking right !?

google : "c programming tutorials" and save your time Smiley

and what is xrp ?

If you can not say anything usefull,,, please shutup
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Yes, I am an idiot Smiley

Nope, you are just lazy: functionally it's less of a problem than idiocy, but ethically it's worse Cheesy

Just kidding, I think it's just hard to follow every thread (especially when your watchlist contains 50+ topics)

Yeah, it's really hard to follow a thread like this especially when dealing with outside issues like work/school/etc.

I feel like I'm going to be lazy asking this question since it probably has been answered somewhere in the thread, but I have two similar computers mining. Both have Phenom II processors and one is running windows 7 and the other is running ubuntu 13.04. Both computers are running hp9. The one running it in windows is getting 0.7 cpd and the Ubuntu one is getting 0.5 cpd despite the fact that they have phenom IIs with the same number of cores and the same clock speed. Could this be caused by the fact that one of these is a quad core chip (the 0.7 cpd cpu) and one is one of the 6 core ones with two cores locked (the 0.5 cpd chip)? I'm just trying to figure out what I should be doing to get the one with lower performance to match the other one.

Which chips are they?  It could be their cache sizes.

The one getting 0.5 cpd is a Phenom II x4 960T (the six core with two cores locked) and the 0.7 cpd one is a Phenom II x3 740 that was unlocked to x4. They have the same cache sizes and operating frequencies but are slightly different chip designs (x4 vs x6).

you are joking right !?

google : "c programming tutorials" and save your time :)

and what is xrp ?
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
Hi

This is for mikaelh or anybody that can provide a decent answer..

I am trying to understand the current mining algorithm used in the miner, but, since I am a noob when it comes to C programming, I have a hard time understanding it.

mikaelh  ... did you use your own algorithm and, if so, can you please describe it or is there an article on the web available? I have searched for algorithms but found none yet that corresponds to yours. I am trying to learn C programming and thought "what the heck, might as well start here since I am interested in XPM's  <--- There .... changed it.

Any help would be highly appreciated........
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers
It may still be required on something like Digital ocean (it needed it early on) but I have no more miners on there at the moment to try.
Thanks Entz !

Everything around 130.

I'm so pissed I even tried this on all my vps... I pmed gigawatt about this since he recommends it with good faith I presume.
A question to the people that know linux better than me (that makes a lot of people) !

Do I need to reboot the machine to get a "non haveged state" after stopping the service or just stopping the service and restarting primecoind is be enough ?
Just stopping the service is enough (or remove it if you like). No need to even restart primecoind

You can tell it isnt working if your entropy drops from around 3000, below 1000 (where haveged would kick in) and gets to around 120.
A question to the people that know linux better than me (that makes a lot of people) !

Do I need to reboot the machine to get a "non haveged state" after stopping the service or just stopping the service and restarting primecoind is be enough ?
Activity: 516
Now regarding mining on vps in order to reply to my friend one4many.
Who said I'm your friend?  Cheesy
Anyhow ... let's see what your stats say tomorrow.

You could be as unlucky as I am  Embarrassed
Its easy enough to check if you are having entropy issues or not. watch cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail , if it drops below 100-200 and doesn't go back up you have a problem,

Make sure you are only using one of haveged or rng-tools as having both is likely not idea.

Some systems have hardware sources that can be used (with rng-tools ), on EC2 : medium power instances are fine (floats around 120), higher powered ones (i.e. cc2) used to hit 0 after a minute or so (which can cause the daemon to pause).  I have been meaning to try rng-tools but haven't had the chance.

In the beginning it used to burn through it so fast I pretty much needed it. Now the instances seem fine without it. Now, that being said there is no guarantee that havegd is generating good entropy (unique enough), so that may be the problem. Or just bad luck.  I had a pi find a block at difficulty 9, that is like 10pps.

I will disable mine and see what happens, cant hurt right Wink
Well I just found a block after having stopped the haveged service.  Now this, again, could just be due to luck (fucking variance).

Now regarding mining on vps in order to reply to my friend one4many.

here are my last days results :

05/08 : 20 blocks
06/08 : 19 blocks
07/08 : 16 blocks
08/08 : 20 blocks

I see no sudden changes in those stats related to difficulty and yet I just saw an ENORMOUS one after starting the haveged service.

I said from the start that variance could be responsible even if it's very unlikely... yet luck is often unlikely.

Regarding difficulty, it rose a lot slower than the past previous days so it's not difficulty related. And no it's not the 3 or 4 blocks I didn't mine this afternoon that are responsible.
wtf ? why would I make up something like that ? what would be the purpose ?
I'm already pissed enough, spare me your nonsense !
The reason is that I went from 6 blocks a day (two days ago) to zero (the last 24 hours). With no change at all.

As a matter of fact ... the only thing which changed was difficulty (rising). I guess mass VPS mining is coming to an end.
All the nice coins you mined, you are going to spend to "keep your hope" in mining more in the foreseeable future.
Probably until you lost (your current) mined plus. In the end you had a lot of work, but no gain.
And AWS or whoever your VPS provider is the only one which made any real money.
Well ... to be honest ... I don't believe you.  Roll Eyes

wtf ? why would I make up something like that ? what would be the purpose ?

I'm already pissed enough, spare me your nonsense !
I started haveged on all my 50 vps just to see if I would notice any change in performance or find more blocks, I was extremely surprised with the result !

I had a great start of the day at noon with 10 blocks already found, after having started the haveged service I left for work and let everything run for 6 hours.
I was quite surprised to notice I wasn't receiving any emails notifying me of blocks found and for a good reason, for the first since I started mining with 50 vps I haven't found a single block in 6 hours...

I have just stopped the haveged service on all vps.  Now this could be pure bad luck but 50 * 6 = 300 hours or 12.5 days, even my desktop computer solves a block in less time than that !

It seems haveged is responsible but how and why I have no clue. Could just be bad luck, well extremely bad luck...

Well ... to be honest ... I don't believe you.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
It seems haveged is responsible but how and why I have no clue. Could just be bad luck, well extremely bad luck...

Well, that's puzzling to say the least. Keep us posted about your results. Good... luck Grin
Pages:
Jump to: