Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 42. (Read 397616 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
There is that.. Hard to say what the future will bring.

To put things in perspective, just the processors in a cc2.8xl are $3200, a dell with 4GB of ram and something similar to those two well over $5000. You would need one hell of ROI to make that work. Of course lower end/used stuff is cheaper but storing/powering and cooling 50-100 servers aint cheap.

Yeah, but nobody is going to run Intel Xeon processors in a desktop.  They're horrendously expensive for their return.
I paid ~$80 for my AMD Phenom II X5 955 and it churns out ~0.80 chains/day.
I paid about $100 per 1.00 chains/day, whereas Amazon paid $1200 per 1.00 chains/day.

You don't need server grade hardware for poor man's number crunching.
I thought the Phenom was better at running this, my 2400 and 2500 are at .86/.88.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers
The vServer section is a bit more appealing, but I'm turned off by the sudden price shift based on billing period.  For 6 months is $20/month, but if you only want just one month, that'll be $45.
sigh, yeah. This seems to be a common BS practice among a lot of the providers..
Activity: 168
I did some pretty massive research on servers and tried a bunch before buying on server4you. The Opteron architecture is cheap and performs very well for primecoin mining. That's what I'm using and it yields anywhere from 60 to 80% at current diff levels.

However:

- ovh.co.uk offers probably the best servers for this task. They offer servers with decent processors and very low ram/disk space for less than 10 dollars. Problem is you have to live in the UK to rent these.

- You can also try the Hetzner action and rent servers for up to 50% less than their normal price. https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

- And you can try cheap providers at http://lowendbox.com/. Just make sure to choose recent architectures or good price performance ratios.

I also have some boxes running on routerhosting. Those boxes don't perform as well but they are profitable if you tune them well (about 20%). The key benefit of this provider is they accept payments on bitcoin, so that's a major plus.

Hope that helps...

lowendbox looks pretty nice.  Thank you for that.

I also took a closer look at server4you.  The vServer section is a bit more appealing, but I'm turned off by the sudden price shift based on billing period.  For 6 months is $20/month, but if you only want just one month, that'll be $45.   Angry
Yeah, but nobody is going to run Intel Xeon processors in a desktop.  They're horrendously expensive for their return.
I paid about $100 per 1.00 chains/day, whereas Amazon paid $1200 per 1.00 chains/day.

No but those comments were in response to those posting about starting up a high cpu, low ram/disk based service. As I said you could do it with lower end hardware, you just need to scale up a great deal (which has its own issues for maintenance/cooling/reliability etc)

To put things in perspective, just the processors in a cc2.8xl are $3200, a dell with 4GB of ram and something similar to those two well over $5000. You would need one hell of ROI to make that work. Of course lower end/used stuff is cheaper but storing/powering and cooling 50-100 servers aint cheap.

I did some pretty massive research on servers and tried a bunch before buying on server4you. The Opteron architecture is cheap and performs very well for primecoin mining. That's what I'm using and it yields anywhere from 60 to 80% at current diff levels.
That is not bad at all. EC2 for me at least is in the 10-20 range on a good day. Might spin a few up just to see, see if they will wave the fee for a bulk set.
Activity: 109
Merit: 16

However:

- ovh.co.uk offers probably the best servers for this task. They offer servers with decent processors and very low ram/disk space for less than 10 dollars. Problem is you have to live in the UK to rent these.

- You can also try the Hetzner action and rent servers for up to 50% less than their normal price. https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

- And you can try cheap providers at http://lowendbox.com/. Just make sure to choose recent architectures or good price performance ratios.

I also have some boxes running on routerhosting. Those boxes don't perform as well but they are profitable if you tune them well (about 20%). The key benefit of this provider is they accept payments on bitcoin, so that's a major plus.

Hope that helps...

Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Its funny because this is an interesting niche market.  You really just want high CPU that you can floor, with small HDD space and virtually 0 bandwidth.

Problem is you're paying for all these extras you don't want with these hosts.  You don't really need redundant HDDs, who cares if it crashes if you have it setup right you already have that coin in your local wallet.  Who cares about 1 TB bandwidth you probably only do like 500 MB in a month.  Who cares about HDD space, all you really need is like 5 GB give or take.

I think there is a market here, for a new type of hosting company that just whores out CPUs on low bandwidth.  Shit i could do this out of my garage for much cheaper than amazon AWS.

Thoughts? would people be into this kind of service? i guess it's only valuable as long as primecoin cpu mining is valuable.

Same came to my mind as I own a company that could easily deliver this, the only thing I worry about is how future proof this is. If there isnt a good CPU coin at a certain time, the product is void.
Activity: 363
Merit: 250
Its funny because this is an interesting niche market.  You really just want high CPU that you can floor, with small HDD space and virtually 0 bandwidth.

Problem is you're paying for all these extras you don't want with these hosts.  You don't really need redundant HDDs, who cares if it crashes if you have it setup right you already have that coin in your local wallet.  Who cares about 1 TB bandwidth you probably only do like 500 MB in a month.  Who cares about HDD space, all you really need is like 5 GB give or take.

I think there is a market here, for a new type of hosting company that just whores out CPUs on low bandwidth.  Shit i could do this out of my garage for much cheaper than amazon AWS.

Thoughts? would people be into this kind of service? i guess it's only valuable as long as primecoin cpu mining is valuable.
Have no idea, that is a what blackboy is running (and cheapest dedicated I have seen). Maybe he can post his current numbers Cheesy

Yeah I noticed that pricing as well after. and based on the specs they are running desktop Opterons (AM3?) vs G34 so can't even estimate based on my 12C Opterons. You can do the 88$ / mo with no setup. If they did somehow make a block every 2 days, 88$ per month would likely still be more profitable than EC2 over the next few weeks (or the price per XPM needs to go up a lot more)...

Cheaper is never the issue, cheaper while not getting your nodes kicked off due to high usage is  Wink  Oversold vps crap...

The only real option I have seen is server4you, 8C for ~70/month. Which is a good price (looks like 6134s which should get a block every 2 days)

What's the ballpark "chains/day" stat on that?

Nevermind, I wouldn't even consider them.  This is in the footer of the page:

* Root Server: EcoServer & ProServer: Prices plus $149 one-time setup fee. BizServer: Prices plus $199 one-time setup fee.
No setup fee? No problem! Just add $15/month and the setup fee is waived.
Cheaper is never the issue, cheaper while not getting your nodes kicked off due to high usage is  Wink  Oversold vps crap...

The only real option I have seen is server4you, 8C for ~70/month. Which is a good price (looks like 6134s which should get a block every 2 days)
One of the small DigitalOcean droplets gets 0.16 chains/day and costs $5/mo.
$5/mo = $0.167 / day
$0.167 / 0.16 = $1.05 / (chain/day)

Linode gets about 0.95 chains/day and costs $20/mo.
$20/mo = $0.667 / day
$0.667 / 0.95 = $0.70 / (chain/day)

FortaTrust *shiver* gets about 0.75 chains/day and costs $15/mo.
$15/mo = $0.50 / day
$0.50 / 0.75 = $0.667 / (chain/day)
I would tend to agree, but I have yet to see anyone offering a 16C/32T near-dedicated machine that encourages 100% cpu usage for less..

Would be nice though as EC2 is borderline now (hasen't been good for a while, but now even more)

Even a decently priced dedicated 8C would be nice.
Activity: 277
Merit: 254
actually, no, I really ment per Chain as in the Chains/day statistics
Spot priced cc2.8xlarge is ~6$ / day / instance (per block is a bit generous) and that gives you ~2.8 chains per day. So ~$2.15 per chain per day.

(note that this is at default HP9 settings, sure this can be increased)

$2 sounds extremely expensive, but interesting
Spot priced cc2.8xlarge is ~6$ / day / instance (per block is a bit generous) and that gives you ~2.8 chains per day. So ~$2.15 per chain per day.

(note that this is at default HP9 settings, sure this can be increased)
So what is your 1 Chain price in USD? For example, if you pay 30 USD per month for a server that is making 5 Chains/day, it is 1 USD for 5 Chains, which means 0.20 USD per 1 Chain. So what is your best?

You mean price per block?  On Amazon's AWS with a cc2.8xlarge, it comes out to ~$6 / block.  That assumes you have average luck.

So what is your 1 Chain price in USD? For example, if you pay 30 USD per month for a server that is making 5 Chains/day, it is 1 USD for 5 Chains, which means 0.20 USD per 1 Chain. So what is your best?

You mean price per block?  On Amazon's AWS with a cc2.8xlarge, it comes out to ~$6 / block.  That assumes you have average luck.
Pages:
Jump to: