Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin, new thread :) - page 6. (Read 166553 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
I know scrypt is not fpga friendly but how about primecoin?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I did some back of the envelope calculations that suggest parallella can't compete against just going out and buying a new i5/i7 and sticking it in a milk crate.

Dream away at finding a niche primecoin mining platform that no one else has up and running yet  Cheesy It's good to dream!
Even if true, the parallella does not require a MB, ram, an enclosure, cooling (other than maybe a single fan blowing across the entire assembly)  - and it is infinitely parallizable without any additional cost.  You cannot say the same for an i5/i7 which each require at the minimum a MB, ethernet, ram modules and cooling with some sort of enclosure and also it takes up 20X more space per unit.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
I did some back of the envelope calculations that suggest parallella can't compete against just going out and buying a new i5/i7 and sticking it in a milk crate.

Dream away at finding a niche primecoin mining platform that no one else has up and running yet  Cheesy It's good to dream!
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
Fully agree with CoinHoarder.

The peoples with pay for VPS and mine PrimeCoin it's botnet's or serious miner's? My opinion - they serious miners.
IMO botnet's can't take control of PrimeCoint network until serious miner's with VPS mines PrimeCoin, because diff is to high and computers which controlled by botnet's in 80% cases it's a regular home users computers without much CPU power.
rdebourbon is working on a primecoin miner for the parallella (parallella.org).  It is a $99 computer (essentially just cpu and cache on an ARM architecture) that can be infinitely parrallized.  I think this may be the ideal primecoin miner by a $/XPM mined basis
Interesting news - I have a parallella board coming sometime, as a Kickstarter invester. But I'm puzzled, if primecoin mining couldn't be made to work on a GPU with massive parallization, why should it work on a parallella board? Do you have any more details, link etc?

It works actually, and it's coded in opencl, so this miner should serve as a base.
Specifically OpenCL v1.2. I'd be interested in the parallella version as well, even though I don't own the hardware (yet). It certainly looks like an interesting platform, especially since the boards can be installed in parallel at any time to increase the amount of processors at your disposal. I have a feeling we'll see quite a few new coins that target the platform - possibly bringing down the walls that ASICs have built up. Sure, it isn't bitcoin, but who cares - the cents to a dollar eventually add up Tongue
Activity: 406

The peoples with pay for VPS and mine PrimeCoin it's botnet's or serious miner's? My opinion - they serious miners.
IMO botnet's can't take control of PrimeCoint network until serious miner's with VPS mines PrimeCoin, because diff is to high and computers which controlled by botnet's in 80% cases it's a regular home users computers without much CPU power.
rdebourbon is working on a primecoin miner for the parallella (parallella.org).  It is a $99 computer (essentially just cpu and cache on an ARM architecture) that can be infinitely parrallized.  I think this may be the ideal primecoin miner by a $/XPM mined basis
Interesting news - I have a parallella board coming sometime, as a Kickstarter invester. But I'm puzzled, if primecoin mining couldn't be made to work on a GPU with massive parallization, why should it work on a parallella board? Do you have any more details, link etc?

It works actually, and it's coded in opencl, so this miner should serve as a base.

It does? I thought nobody was able to mine a block with it. I heard everyone saying it just crashed.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Activity: 560

That sounds GREAT! Didn't know that...I may have to grab a few of them if it works.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018

Is there any hope for GPU mining primecoin? Ever since mtmlr released it I haven't heard a thing. I guess he isn't developing it anymore? Is this GPU miner dead too, like the CUDA miner is?

Why would it be dead?
Mtrlt released source so other people can work on it...rdebourbon was up to something.

Source code is released, but it's so complicated that there's very few people who can work on it.

Im just asking if it's dead or not, since I haven't heard a word of it from anyone. and who is that? Are they trying to revive the miner?

He made an xpm poolminer and submitted a pull request or two to Mikaelh's HP github.
Is there any hope for GPU mining primecoin? Ever since mtmlr released it I haven't heard a thing. I guess he isn't developing it anymore? Is this GPU miner dead too, like the CUDA miner is?

Why would it be dead?
Mtrlt released source so other people can work on it...rdebourbon was up to something.

Source code is released, but it's so complicated that there's very few people who can work on it.

Im just asking if it's dead or not, since I haven't heard a word of it from anyone. and who is that? Are they trying to revive the miner?

Why would it be dead?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
botnets are a problem but it depends how many. If botnets only make up 5% of the network, then they are having small effect on the price - and the price is mostly being set by honest miners.

the same can be said for server administrators taking advantage of their networks, mining primecoin at zero expense. There is only a finite capacity of botnet miners and zero-expense miners. I think they can be overwhelmed in time by serious miners who set up professional cpu rigs - who then becomes the major determiners of the xpm price.

At this point I think at-home-miners are struggling to overtake the zero-expense miners. and probably will for some time, unless more investments are made into xpm mining.

and GPU mining is still a possible factor... which might make investment into cpu-rigs cautious.
Activity: 434
Buying up all the cheap XPM ... this is gotta be the best deal you will ever see on this coin, yey I feel very lucky to get it this cheap !  Tongue
Activity: 560
Well primecoin has been out for a few months now and its difficulty is currently very stable. It has been precisely 9.86 +/- 0.01 for a week or more (I think, from my manual checks. All the good graphing/data sites seem to be down or no longer updating).

If botnets were growing day in and out we'd see diff rising but we aren't. It's unlikely that botnets would be growing and other users would be dissapearing at exactly the same rate so I don't think that is a likely possibility either.

+1. Just quietly priming away in a quiet and stable environment.
If CPU mining is the only way forever, then you will face problems with huge botnets mining, and then maybe even 51%ing the network. With a GPU miner, the difficulty will rise sufficiently so that only specialized miners can take control of the network, specialized individual miners, making it more difficult to 51% the network because when it's individuals, you can't come to an agreement to 51% like that.

Well primecoin has been out for a few months now and its difficulty is currently very stable. It has been precisely 9.86 +/- 0.01 for a week or more (I think, from my manual checks. All the good graphing/data sites seem to be down or no longer updating).

If botnets were growing day in and out we'd see diff rising but we aren't. It's unlikely that botnets would be growing and other users would be dissapearing at exactly the same rate so I don't think that is a likely possibility either.

of course. it just remains a possibility.
Activity: 546
All the good graphing/data sites seem to be down or no longer updating).

These charts http://xpm.muuttuja.org/charts/  are up to date and Mikaelh's analysis at http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=491.0 is interesting.

Move the left bar below the time-axis to magnify recent changes.

I think the combination of dropping XPM price and dimming prospect of the GPU miner makes a lot of mining power to hold fire, or simply pack up and leave. The most recent increase starting on Sep. 14 was from the release of hp11.

Thanks for the link it's exactly what I was after.
Activity: 516
CAT.EX Exchange
All the good graphing/data sites seem to be down or no longer updating).

These charts http://xpm.muuttuja.org/charts/  are up to date and Mikaelh's analysis at http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=491.0 is interesting.

Move the left bar below the time-axis to magnify recent changes.

I think the combination of dropping XPM price and dimming prospect of the GPU miner makes a lot of mining power to hold fire, or simply pack up and leave. The most recent increase starting on Sep. 14 was from the release of hp11.
Pages:
Jump to: