Pages:
Author

Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool! - page 42. (Read 123721 times)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0
This is a very good pool. I've tried several pools including eligius, btcmine, deepbit, btcguild, and so far this one is the quickest and most reliable.

Highly recommended.
Activity: 24
Today was a good day! Smiley
Activity: 207
Merit: 100
One more hiccup, but I caught it as it happened.  This time the actual cause was addressed, i had not properly allowed the user running the server processes to use more sockets and it was running out.  That has been fixed.
The server was having some issues today.  Pushpool decided to consume 100% cpu for some reason.  I think it wasn't happy that I didn't restart it for ~5 days  Wink  So i've given everything a clean start, and things seem to be fine again.
Hello, randyfolds just pointed a bug out to me.  The account history table that stores historical block information had an incorrect schema set.  For the donation percentage per-block, it was only using integer values to store your donation history.  This means that 2.5% would have rounded up to 3% on the blocks.php page.  However, this is just a display issue, as this information is stored after the actual donation.  I have corrected this table so that decimals can be stored for future history, but the old values will stay rounded because that information is now lost.  (Well, I could probably pull it from logs, but not worth it.)
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Hi, this pool is looking really appealing! For the time being I'm moving over my ~630Mh/s from BTCGuild. Mostly I like the speed of the site, the responsiveness of the dev, and the automatic payout option. I have a couple suggestions though. First, it'd be nice to be able to remove workers from the site (unless I'm missing something, it can't be done). Also, it'd be nice to adjust the formatting on the stats pages so that they don't scroll horizontally. Overall, I'm hoping this turns out to be the smaller-sized yet reliable/responsive pool I've been looking around for.

Welcome!

I made the switch from BTCGuild also.  Mostly because I've been an Ars reader since 2000, but also because BTC's website is SO SLOW.  The Ars mining site is fast and reliable.
Activity: 57
Hi, this pool is looking really appealing! For the time being I'm moving over my ~630Mh/s from BTCGuild. Mostly I like the speed of the site, the responsiveness of the dev, and the automatic payout option. I have a couple suggestions though. First, it'd be nice to be able to remove workers from the site (unless I'm missing something, it can't be done). Also, it'd be nice to adjust the formatting on the stats pages so that they don't scroll horizontally. Overall, I'm hoping this turns out to be the smaller-sized yet reliable/responsive pool I've been looking around for.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Yeah it sure is nice to wake up in the morning and see the round shares in the tens of thousands.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Sorry, I didn't get time to finish smpps today, but it is definately coming soon! Meanwhile, we'll just keep finding lucky blocks Wink just got one!
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
Any chance of SMPPS? To fence off 4+ day blocks such as the last one.

Beside that, nice pool if you're looking to diversify miners to various sites. I'll keep a few GPUs here.
Ars reader from the beginning (early 1999) hopping on-board. CPU mining only atm. Nice, simple pool interface - good work, BT.

A couple of questions:

How is the worker activity determined? I have a few that are consistently running, yet show as inactive on my account details. When I'm away from the machines, it'd be nice to see which ones have hit a snag. If it's just due to my painfully low Mhash rate, c'est la vie.

I know it isn't the best option, but what would an ideal laptop GPU be for mining? I haven't seen much discussion along those lines and I value the Ars community opinion higher than most.

Thanks!

It depends on the GPU.  I'm a  Mac guy, so I don't know what GPU's come in Windows laptops these days.  There's a hardware list / comparison at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_Hardware_Comparison

CPU mining, or mining on non-ATI cards is a nice way to use what you have to see how the whole thing works, but you're never going to get any money that way.  My MacBook Pro (2009) was getting 2.1 Mh/s on it's Nvidia 9400M.  My file server running linux and an AMD cpu from 2006 was getting 1.2 Mh/s. I threw a ATI 5830 in that file server and now I get 277 Mh/s.

277 Mh/s gets you .2 BTC a day.  So you can imagine how long it would take to get 1 BTC with CPU or Nvidia mining.

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005
Ars reader from the beginning (early 1999) hopping on-board. CPU mining only atm. Nice, simple pool interface - good work, BT.

A couple of questions:

How is the worker activity determined? I have a few that are consistently running, yet show as inactive on my account details. When I'm away from the machines, it'd be nice to see which ones have hit a snag. If it's just due to my painfully low Mhash rate, c'est la vie.

I know it isn't the best option, but what would an ideal laptop GPU be for mining? I haven't seen much discussion along those lines and I value the Ars community opinion higher than most.

Thanks!
Activity: 224
I joined the pool this morning.  I had been with BTCGuild but after last nights issues, I decided to jump ship.

I'm running at roughly 2.2Ghash and I like the lower powered pools.  I realize all pools equalize to the same BTC/day ratio but I like the idea of getting a bigger chunk when a block is found.  Wink

Anyways, thanks for your work on the pool.  So far, I'm very satisfied with the pool, stats site and bringing all the miners online was super smooth.  I look forward to the next block!
Activity: 378
Yeah, not all my numbers are exact as prices have swung a lot on some of the cards recently.  I got my 5830's for $109 and my 5850's for $149 while all the vendor's were dumping them.  You're right about the Hash Rate too.  I'm getting about 293 MH/s running 945/315.

To me it was just an easy way to plug some numbers in and rank cards.  You're mileage may vary, but the keep is to find out what card gives you the best hash rate at the lowest wattage with the lowest price. Smiley
Meatball - I have a 5830. I'm getting 277 right now into the Ars pool. Smiley

If you OC you can get into the 300s. Not sure if that is a practical thing to do as you say it is in a server. My settings are CC 1010 Mem 354 GPU Voltage up a bit from stock to 1200 and getting 317 - 321 Mhash/sec @60c. 

It's clocked at 875 right now, to make 277 Mh/s.  If I clock it to 975, it hits 303 Mh/s, but the fan spins up and it's really loud.  The fan noise at 875 is not bad at all.   Got to keep the marital harmony in the household.  Smiley
Activity: 112
Meatball - I have a 5830. I'm getting 277 right now into the Ars pool. Smiley

If you OC you can get into the 300s. Not sure if that is a practical thing to do as you say it is in a server. My settings are CC 1010 Mem 354 GPU Voltage up a bit from stock to 1200 and getting 317 - 321 Mhash/sec @60c. 
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Hello! Thanks for the pool...
Any chance you can httpS the website?
Would even go for a private certificate... just trying to avoid sniffing between my browser and the status page!

I almost had this done a while ago, but I didn't receive many requests for it.  I will work on it again Smiley

You can get a free cert here. Compatible with any modern browser.
http://www.startssl.com/
Meatball - I have a 5830.  They are hard to find, I ended up paying too much in order to get one ASAP.  $179.  I think you'll find most mining cards are higher than "regular" if you actually want to purchase one today and not sit around waiting for them to come into stock.

Also, you listed 200 Mh/s, and I'm getting 277 right now into the Ars pool. Smiley

I also have a UPS that my computer is plugged into, and it has a watt display.  The difference between mining and not mining is 122w.  Total is 203w.  It's a file server, so it would be on if I was not mining anyway.

My real world 5830 numbers:

GPU | MH Range | Watt Range | Lowest Price | (Avg MH)/$ | (Avg MH)/W | (Avg MH)/$ + (Avg MH)/W
5830 | 277         |  122         |   $179         |   1.54         | 2.27         | 3.81

so, my Mh/s and watts are better than what you listed, but I paid too much.  Still the best card, I think, if you can get a better price than I did.
Made good progress on the new payment system today.  It is half up on my test server (running on testnet.)  You can receive the new payments, but you also receive the old method payments Wink  Next up is coding the transition between the two systems, and I want to have some good stats/charts on the new system before I release it, so that it is easy to see and understand.  I should be able to continue work on it tomorrow!

Meanwhile, keep hashing!  Grin
Ok, most of them caught on, back to normal Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: