Pages:
Author

Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool! - page 43. (Read 123721 times)

Activity: 207
Merit: 100
So I've found a way to grab us a quick 6+ g/hash.  Simply change the number of shares in the round to a very low number.  Hi automatic pool hoppers!  The real share number is below (for now) for our normal users.  I'm sure they will figure it out soon, but it is a fun test Smiley

You can see the pool hash rate jump here: http://vps1.thedevcave.net/arsbitcoin_stats/showstats.php

Until I implement the improved payment system, I will keep playing with the pool hoppers to ensure the pool isn't losing efficiency.  If they can use automatic scripts to screen-scrape the stats page, well, I have every right to alter the stats page as I wish! Smiley
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Those priorities look good to me.

BTW, some talk on graphics cards on IRC.  A while back I put together this completely and utterly unscientific calculation to help me figure out what the best cards for hashing were.  I based it on Hash Rate, $ and Watts and combined them all.  For watts/hash rate, I used numbers I was able to get with my cards, or if I didn't have those cards, I used an average of what I was seeing on the Mining Hardware Wiki.  The prices were as of 6/12 and the best I could find at that time either through Amazon/Newegg, so the numbers might not be exact now. 

Also, the ones with the x - in front of them are pretty much impossible to find at that price or even any price now. 

I don't know if this helps anyone, but this is what I used to try to figure out what the best overall card based on MH/$/Watts was.  Higher final number is better.

GPU | MH Range | Watt Range | Lowest Price | (Avg MH)/$ | (Avg MH)/W | (Avg MH)/$ + (Avg MH)/W

x - 5830 | (200) | 160w | $109 | (2.8 ) | (1.75) | 4.55

6870 | (232-329) | 155W - $165 | (1.99) | (2.12) | 4.11

x - 5850 | (350) | 150w | $155 | (2.2) | (1.82) | 4.02

6950 (Shaders unlocked with bios mod) | (370) | 176W  | $222 | (1.66) | (2.10) | 3.76

6850 | (177-244) | 125W - $146 | (1.67) | (1.95) | 3.62

6950 (w/o shader Unlock Bios) | (340) | 176W | $222 | (1.53) | (1.93) | 3.46

x - 5870 | (313-421) | 188W | $379 | (1.11) | (2.23) | 3.34

x - 5970 | (530-802) | 300w | $909 | (0.88) | (2.31) | 3.18

5770 | (200) | 100W - $100 | (2) | (1) | 3

x - 6990 | (708-772) | 400W - $722 | (1.06) | (1.93) | 2.99

6970 | (323-372) | 254W | $310 | (1.46) | (1.20) | 2.66
Ok, these are my top three current priorities, not necessarily in order though Wink

1) Implement Shared Maximum Pay-per-share payments as mentioned previously in thread. This would replace proportional payments and ensure that miners are paid evenly regardless of round length. Are there any objections to this?  If so, why?

2) Miner idle emails

3) A BTC payout history graph like Slush, daily BTC reward and a 7 day moving average.

If you think my priorities should be elsewhere, let me know!
Cool, thanks rearwheels!

I recently added this, which contains hash rate and historical block info.

http://arsbitcoin.com/blockApi.php
Activity: 444
Merit: 254

Hi BurningToad,

I've added ArsBitcoin to www.btc-poolwatch.com so that miners can easily monitor multiple pools.

I would like to check if there is a JSON for just the pool info like round shares, total hashrate, etc. that I can pull?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
koo
Hello! Thanks for the pool...
Any chance you can httpS the website?
Would even go for a private certificate... just trying to avoid sniffing between my browser and the status page!

I almost had this done a while ago, but I didn't receive many requests for it.  I will work on it again Smiley
For anyone on the fence about joining the pool, I offer some great reasons to jump in.

First and foremost, there's a good community.  IRC usually has some folks chatting and BurningToad is responsive to change requests.

Second, there no fees...seriously.  You can donate a fee if you want, but you don't have to.  No matter what anyone says, long term, no matter how you mine, solo, small pool, big pool, you will on average get the same amount of BTC.  The key difference between solo and pools is the fees and with 0% fees here, you just get the benefit of added hashpower.  Yeah, you'll get less per block, but the group will find more blocks than you would on your own.

Block! Smiley  Cmon, lets get that hash rate up!
Activity: 189
Merit: 101

Hello! Thanks for the pool...

Any chance you can httpS the website?

Would even go for a private certificate... just trying to avoid sniffing between my browser and the status page!

Thanks for the suggestions Meatball!  I will be working on these.

There is already an automatic payout system.  You can set your auto payout threshold in the account details, from 1 BTC to 25 BTC.  Once you reach the threshold (such as 1 BTC) it will automatically be sent to your payment address.
- Not 100% sure about the stales yet, but it looks like it might be helping.  My lifetime Stales are down to 1.8% and most of my miners seem to be only getting 1 or 2 stales/hour, so I think we may be doing better.

- As for PPS vs. Proportional, I could go either way.  I've never actually used PPS in any pool, but steadying out the income seems fine to me.

- Couple of other rambling comments on the pool I thought I'd toss out.

- I know you're not charging a fee at the moment, but at some point you probably will need to.  Have you looked at when you think you'd need to charge a fee?  Would it just be better to start a low fee like .5% now or do you think the 0% fee is too big a draw to mess with?  If you do decide to require a fee, maybe have a daily/weekly drawing/raffle where someone that submitted shares to the pool gets any fees back they might have paid in.

- Any chance we can get an automatic payout system that when you reach a balance of X, it automatically pays out?

- Alerts - Any chance we can get alerts set for any of the following?  Workers down for x Minutes, Block Found, Automatic Payout?

- I hate to say it, but pools seem to live and die on their charts.  While ARS' has some good stuff, and I know you guys are working on some, there's a few that I've seen in other pools that I really liked and think might be cool additions.
  • The "Daily Rewards" charts on Slush are great.  There's one that show's your daily reward in BTC as well as a 7 day moving average of your BTC.  I think that's a great way for people to visualize what they're getting over the long term and helps ease the tension when there's long blocks.  The other System Daily reward chart that shows how much the whole pool is getting per day and a 7 day moving average is nice too.  Of course, for both of these, with a small pool they may look a bit off as there's days with 0 BTC on both, but the 7 day average helps that.
  • Block Statistics - Can we add a time component to the current block statistics.  I know you can calculate it from the time column, but a simple "Hours:Minutes" Row showing how long that block took would be nice.  Additionally maybe an "Average Time" that shows the average time the pool is finding blocks.
  • Pool Luck Stats - Deepbit has a great "Statistics" page, but the main thing I like is the "Average Shares per Block" and "Average in last 24 Hours" with the percentages showing you how much over/under those are from the difficulty numbers.  Gives you a quick eyeball of how lucky the pool has been.

Remember, people want to see what the pool is giving them vs. what they can get in other pools or the Bitcoin mining calculator tells them they should be getting per day.  Any stats we can show that list averages of BTC's, Solve Times, etc over a time period will help folks decide whether or not they want to jump in the pool or not.
fpgaminer, Meatball, I integrated Lukejr's duplicate work fix in the server update I just completed.  Let me know if you notice an improvement!
Hello,

What are yall's thoughts on implementing the Shared Maximum PPS payment system that Luke created for Eligius?  This would be to help prevent pool hopping, and would create more even payouts.  This means that long blocks would not hurt so much, but also there wouldn't be a spike in rewards for short blocks.  In effect, it would make it seem like the payout was coming from a larger pool than we are, due to evening out the payments.  There would be no incentive to leave the pool on long blocks, because you earn a steady payment for your mining time regardless of round length.

Here is a description:
http://eligius.st/wiki/index.php/Shared_Maximum_PPS

I think this is the best way to implement a pay-per-share style method without charging a fee (like Deepbit's 10%.)  

Alternatives to this are a time-based scoring method, where newer shares are worth a bit more than older shares in a round.  Slush's pool uses a method like this.  Other methods here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21999.0

We could stay on proportional, but the problems with this method are exaggerated the smaller the pool is. 
Server is back up Smiley  Some mining clients don't reconnect with long polling support correctly (my gui miners don't at least), so if you can easily do so, I recommend a quick miner restart.

Invite your friends! We need more hash power!
Hello,

About to take server down for about 15 minutes for some maintenance and to use a new version of the back end software to try and decrease the number of stale shares.
For the API, go to your account details and there is an API Key there.  On the left side of that there is a blue API link.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to look into the stales this weekend.  I had to take a bit of a break after working on the pool pretty much non stop to get it off the ground.  I will be looking at it this week.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Ah, that's high.  I'm still hovering around 1.8%.

Maybe I was just really unlucky the first two times I started a client here.  117/118 good right now...
Ah, that's high.  I'm still hovering around 1.8%.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Hey BT, what's the stale rate for the pool as a whole?  I'm seeing on average about 1.8% stales.

I know it's not that bad, but if we could knock that down it'd give us just a smidge more chance at the blocks.

I'm getting huge stale rates here.  I tried here yesterday and was running like 5% stales.  Tried this morning and was getting 8%.  Haven't seen that elsewhere...
Activity: 148
Merit: 102
I noticed in the first post it says: "API for monitoring workers"

How do I access that? Do you have an API link that feeds back JSON or something?
Pages:
Jump to: