Pages:
Author

Topic: [1200 TH] EMC: 0 Fee DGM. Anonymous PPS. US & EU servers. No Registration! - page 82. (Read 499602 times)

Activity: 372
Merit: 250
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Marketplace for sensor data
this is the round that never ends. . . .  it just goes on and on my friend. . . .  .*sigh*
Activity: 164
Merit: 100
Look ARROUND!
We having some awful bad luck this round!

Edit: for future reference this was for block 193760 which took almost 12 hours at a 0.32% luck score... all that for my ~BTC0.03 heh
Activity: 271
freakin whammies, go plague some other pool  Angry
Activity: 294
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
Something like that is  in the works Gladamas. I wanted to get the DGM stuff working properly before I move on to more than one difficulty.

Thank you, no problem, and no rush at all. I was just curious if that was possible Smiley
Activity: 252
Inactive
DobZombie: Send me a PM with your pool name and I can take a look.

On another note:

For you faster miners out there, I would like to request that you guys help me out testing the new Difficulty 10 server.  http://diff10.eclipsemc.com:8337  ... everything is the same, it's just a new hostname.  That server will be spitting out Difficulty 10 shares.  It seems to be working fine in my internal testing, but I would like to get some more miners on it and see how it goes.

I don't recommend it for slower miners though, as you may end up with more stales than usual.

on diff10 for now.
donator
Activity: 448
I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking, but I'll try to answer it:

It won't take longer to find a valid block because the real difficulty is over 2 million, so whether or not you find a diff1 or diff10 (or diff1000) share won't make any difference to how often you'll find a 2 million difficulty block.  The only reason we do difficulty 1 blocks is to make accounting simple for slower miners.  Back before GPU mining and even during the era of GPU mining, if you were trying to solve a > difficulty 1 block, it's entirely possible you would not get a single share before a LP invalidated your work, so you'd get no credit.  Moving to the lower possible difficulty lets everyone from the slowest to the fastest an equal chance of submitting a share and getting credit for it.

Anyway, there seems to be something wrong with the diff10 calculations and would have ended up overpaying a few people.  I've disabled diff10 shares for the night.  I will take a look at it tomorrow when I'm not so tired and poke at it some more.  The server is still up and running, just serving diff1 shares now.  No need to change anything for anyone who's changed over.

Inaba,

thank you, that answered my question.

Wolfgang
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Something like that is  in the works Gladamas. I wanted to get the DGM stuff working properly before I move on to more than one difficulty.
Activity: 294
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
Inaba, would it be possible for the user to set a custom difficulty for their miners on the website? It would be nice, with the ASICs coming out, to be able to set your own difficulty depending on what hardware you have.

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Well ... actually I have 10 pools in the list (now) - but I have the default pool mode, failover, so only mining on pool 0 most of the time
(except when failing over)

I simply just added the 10diff one to my pool list, restarted and switched to it.
But yeah the other 2 EMC Pools are in the list - but I'd not expect them to be sending me any info

Next time I'll try with some debug/protocol debug on and see what the messages I was getting actually were
legendary
Inaba,

I just noticed, I'm one of your diff10 testers  Wink

I see how U can be higher with diff10, but overall I'm not sure why it wouldn't take longer to find a valid block at diff-10 instead diff-1.
Can you elaborate?

The time to find a block is dependent on the pool hash rate trying to find it.

Though ... I guess I should have asked if the 10diff shares are part of the same pool or not Smiley

Anyway, surprise! The BFL was dead due to USB issues ... and ... it's alive (after relegating my Icarus down to the garage and playing with USB cables for half an hour with the BFL)
OK all my hashing going to EMC 10diff now (2 rigs) to see how it goes for a while Smiley

I get multiple LP messages each LP but other than that it seems all OK
(I presume EMC does the LP like that normally?)

Hah sorry Kano... something is slightly wrong with the DGM formula for 10diff and I'm way too tired to try to wrap my brain around what that might be.  I will have 10diff back tomorrow when I get a chance to look closer at it.

As for the LP, are you sure you're not connecting to both EMC servers, one as a backup or anything?  That would give you two of the same LP, no?  I'm not seeing multiple LPs with the same block on this end? 

Although now that I think about it, it could be cause I was working on the server and when I restart it, it sends the LPs out again in case it missed anyone during the time it went down and restarted.
legendary
I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking, but I'll try to answer it:

It won't take longer to find a valid block because the real difficulty is over 2 million, so whether or not you find a diff1 or diff10 (or diff1000) share won't make any difference to how often you'll find a 2 million difficulty block.  The only reason we do difficulty 1 blocks is to make accounting simple for slower miners.  Back before GPU mining and even during the era of GPU mining, if you were trying to solve a > difficulty 1 block, it's entirely possible you would not get a single share before a LP invalidated your work, so you'd get no credit.  Moving to the lower possible difficulty lets everyone from the slowest to the fastest an equal chance of submitting a share and getting credit for it.

Anyway, there seems to be something wrong with the diff10 calculations and would have ended up overpaying a few people.  I've disabled diff10 shares for the night.  I will take a look at it tomorrow when I'm not so tired and poke at it some more.  The server is still up and running, just serving diff1 shares now.  No need to change anything for anyone who's changed over.

legendary
Inaba,

I see how U can be higher with diff10, but overall I'm not sure why it wouldn't take longer to find a valid block at diff-10 instead diff-1.
Can you elaborate?

The time to find a block is dependent on the pool hash rate trying to find it.

Though ... I guess I should have asked if the 10diff shares are part of the same pool or not Smiley

Anyway, surprise! The BFL was dead due to USB issues ... and ... it's alive (after relegating my Icarus down to the garage and playing with USB cables for half an hour with the BFL)
OK all my hashing going to EMC 10diff now (2 rigs) to see how it goes for a while Smiley

I get multiple LP messages each LP but other than that it seems all OK
(I presume EMC does the LP like that normally?)
donator
Activity: 448
Inaba,

Can you elaborate?

legendary
Yeah, hashrates will stay the same, but will it increase your stales is the question, since, if cgminer was actually doing a diff 10 nonce, you wouldn't make it all the way through.  However, as Kano has said, I guess cgminer is actually going through diff 1 nonce and taking the diff 10 shares and submitting them.  Makes perfect sense, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

It sure blows your U and /m out of the water though.
Activity: 409
Merit: 251
Crypt'n Since 2011
So it occurred to me that a higher difficulty might affect intensity settings in cgminer. 

How does a diff10 setting affect what your intensity should be set to?  Lets say you have a 5970 at 800 MH/s... I9 is about right for that, but if it's diff 10 is that going to screw you?

When I ran p2pool with testing different share difficulties, Hashrates stayed consistant on cgminer with the same intensity setting.
legendary
So it occurred to me that a higher difficulty might affect intensity settings in cgminer. 

How does a diff10 setting affect what your intensity should be set to?  Lets say you have a 5970 at 800 MH/s... I9 is about right for that, but if it's diff 10 is that going to screw you?
legendary
Well my BFL permanently died yesterday, so I've only been able to switch 2xIcarus to it to see what happens - so yeah with a U of ~1 a minute it may take a while to see how it's going Smiley

Edit: heh interesting - of course it's now looking for 1999.... or less
legendary
Well, up until now, the submitted work has been a small portion of the system load.  With the way I process shares, coupled with anonymous and authenticated PPS on top of DGM, submitted shares has actually become a bottleneck and reducing the amount of submitted shares could realize sizable, tangible gains for EMC.  It may not be as good for some other pools, but for EMC it's a good fit.  I've got a few other tricks up my sleeve coming down the pipe as well.

Is it working properly for you though?  Working fine for me here.  I've had 0 stales in the past 4 hours at 1400 MH/s... the LP hits and cgminer seems to just checkout new work and carry on.
legendary
Hmmm - thought about that ... then started writing a reply ... then deleted the reply ... then decided, what the heck I'll try it with cgminer and see what happens Smiley
I know cgminer supports higher difficulty shares - now to see it in action!

Anyway, the causes of stales are:
1) working on a nonce range that completes after an LP notification is received
2) pools all tell the miners about the LP after the LP has occurred (of course) ... but how long after (how slow the pool is) determines how bad the stales are ... there will always be some delay, but the size of the delay will determine how bad the stales are (on average)

No miner would process a 10 difficulty nonce range (they don't exist), it would simply do multiple 1 difficulty nonce ranges and only return the ones with the required 10 difficulty (and roll-n-time helps with that drastically also)

... yeah I tried to get the nonce size changed as it should be done ... but no one liked the idea Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: