Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 49. (Read 146909 times)

vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
LOL. Same old story. 4-6 weeks since October last year ...

Who is saying 4 - 6 weeks?  No one but the same old tired trolls.

With the performance and efficiency of the 7970s I don't think many are going to be jumping onto the BFL fail train.
With the GPUs you can mine and game and crack encryption but these BFL units have close to 0 resale value and you cannot game or hack with them.

Completely irrelevant.  ~200w + supporting hardware for ~650 MH/s is not anywhere close to 60 - 80w @ 800 - 1 GH/s.  You only need one or two cards to game with, the rest are completely superfluous and just power hogs.  99% of the people mining do not, will not and probably don't even know how to or why they would want to crack encryption with them.

Add to that the fact that if a competing ASIC is designed you pretty much are screwed as they become paperweights and you won't get anyone to take them off your hands.

Completely false dichotomy.  Just because a new or more efficient ASIC miner is released does not somehow cause an older miner to suddenly stop functioning or generating income.  If someone else were to release a 1.2 GH/s unit for roughly the same price as the BFL unit a month later, do the BFL units suddenly stop producing 800 MH/s?  No... they continue to mine.

I do, however, agree that a 6 month warranty is a little shallow.  A 1 yr warranty would seem to be the right thing to me.  But the argument that if it's going to fail it will fail within 6 months is fairly sound as far as these things go, but that is a doubled edged sword.  If it's likely to not fail at 6 - 12 months assuming it lasted 0 - 6 months, then increasing the warranty shouldn't increase the support burden all that much.

Thanks for being the voice of reason.
legendary
Activity: 1260

Who is saying 4 - 6 weeks?  No one but the same old tired trolls.

With the performance and efficiency of the 7970s I don't think many are going to be jumping onto the BFL fail train.
With the GPUs you can mine and game and crack encryption but these BFL units have close to 0 resale value and you cannot game or hack with them.

Completely irrelevant.  ~200w + supporting hardware for ~650 MH/s is not anywhere close to 60 - 80w @ 800 - 1 GH/s.  You only need one or two cards to game with, the rest are completely superfluous and just power hogs.  99% of the people mining do not, will not and probably don't even know how to or why they would want to crack encryption with them.

Add to that the fact that if a competing ASIC is designed you pretty much are screwed as they become paperweights and you won't get anyone to take them off your hands.

Completely false dichotomy.  Just because a new or more efficient ASIC miner is released does not somehow cause an older miner to suddenly stop functioning or generating income.  If someone else were to release a 1.2 GH/s unit for roughly the same price as the BFL unit a month later, do the BFL units suddenly stop producing 800 MH/s?  No... they continue to mine.

I do, however, agree that a 6 month warranty is a little shallow.  A 1 yr warranty would seem to be the right thing to me.  But the argument that if it's going to fail it will fail within 6 months is fairly sound as far as these things go, but that is a doubled edged sword.  If it's likely to not fail at 6 - 12 months assuming it lasted 0 - 6 months, then increasing the warranty shouldn't increase the support burden all that much.

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

I have personally done this and am satisfied with their answers.

gigavps,

can you say us when they are gonna ship your unit(s) ?

best regards.

spiccioli
4-6 weeks.

Might as well use the money to straight out buy BTC !

If I had the money, I would buy some units myself but I would really think carefully before getting 10s or a whole farm of these devices, especially considering their lame 6 month warranty. 
Activity: 896
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

gigavps,

best regards.

spiccioli
4-6 weeks.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250

gigavps,

best regards.

spiccioli

It is not my place to speak for BFL.

I am NOT their spokesman.

I just do not appreciate the FUD coming from others and am trying to let them know how to get the information if they are waiting on an order.

Now you're being difficult just for the sake of being difficult. Just tell the guy what they told you...he's not asking you to put on a BFL hat and go on tour...
vip

gigavps,

best regards.

spiccioli

It is not my place to speak for BFL.

I am NOT their spokesman.

I just do not appreciate the FUD coming from others and am trying to let them know how to get the information if they are waiting on an order.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore

gigavps,

best regards.

spiccioli
legendary
Activity: 922
i have a feeling this wont be shipped until early Feb..
 Undecided

In other words, you mean in '4-6 weeks'. This is becoming the 'but can it play crysis?' tagline of this thread!

My bet is that shipments will begin on the 23rd of this month. People who have preorders will be first; people who have ordered in late November or December may not make it into this first production run.

I am absolutely 100% sure that if you have an order in with BFL and email then regarding your order, they should be able to tell you what you need to know. They are very responsive.

Agreed. I am not so much interested in exactly when they will ship, as I am to find out how the re-spun product itself performs. 24/7 reliability, noise, wall power, hashrate, stales. How well do the software/drivers that comes with it perform? How compatible are the popular miners (cgminer, ufasoft, guiminer)? Any issues when connecting multiple units to one PC?

I have no doubt that people who have these on order will report here as soon as they are delivered. These will be the forum heroes. I am patient. Based on these reports, I will make my decision to buy or not.
vip
 Undecided

In other words, you mean in '4-6 weeks'. This is becoming the 'but can it play crysis?' tagline of this thread!

My bet is that shipments will begin on the 23rd of this month. People who have preorders will be first; people who have ordered in late November or December may not make it into this first production run.

I am absolutely 100% sure that if you have an order in with BFL and email then regarding your order, they should be able to tell you what you need to know. They are very responsive.

legendary
 Undecided

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
 Undecided
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
How difficult will it be to get one of these mining? If I were to get one, will it come with software to point at a pool right away or do I have to find someones code to do it?

Can guiminer use these?

BFL could have answered these ... had they not been chased off this forum by flaming arrows and pitchforks.   Angry

BFL could have answered these if they had been reputable, not made false promises, and accepted pre-orders before a prototype was even working.
legendary
How difficult will it be to get one of these mining? If I were to get one, will it come with software to point at a pool right away or do I have to find someones code to do it?

Can guiminer use these?

BFL could have answered these ... had they not been chased off this forum by flaming arrows and pitchforks.   Angry
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!

Can guiminer use these?

From what I understand, cgminer handles them natively, but I could be wrong.
Activity: 546

Can guiminer use these?
legendary
BFL Labs amazed us once aggain.
They have got 2 working software, and no devices to work on for sale Wink

Well they *have* published an API to those interested in programming to it, and they've had what appears to be a Single available on the internet by remote access for a while. That's all one needs to write/test/debug mining software.
vip
BFL Labs amazed us once aggain.
They have got 2 working software, and no devices to work on for sale Wink

Maybe you should ask how luke-jr tested his software then....
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
Thanks for that rjk.   These things can't arrive soon enough.  Sick to death of my GPU's Sad

I know this 4-6 week wait time is brutal. I am increasing my production by 40% and each day that goes by is bitcoins I do not have! The wait is unbareable.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Thanks for that rjk.   These things can't arrive soon enough.  Sick to death of my GPU's Sad
I'm looking forward to the day when I can stack 2 or 3 of these on top of my 6-card rig and show people that yes, this little box does the same amount of work as this huge rig. Technology moves so fast...

crap......  i didn't even think of that..  dont replace the gpu's..  just add to the rigs!!!  my 2900Mh rigs will do 5G each!
Pages:
Jump to: