Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 52. (Read 146909 times)

Activity: 381
Merit: 250
hey.. looked at the website and it no longer lists the singles as "pre-order" ..  has anyone recieved their units yet?

Are we looking at 4-6 weeks to print shipping labels now?

In all seriousness, the day I see a post by a reputable forum member that says they've actually recieved a working unit, I'll be putting in an order for several of them..  I just can't see putting up 2+ grand without at least that small comfort level.

At the very least, i'd like to see them take credit cards directly, so that I could have the CC company do a chargeback if it turns scammy.  (yeah, I know you can do a CC through paypal, but I've had paypal issues in the past trying to get a legit chargeback to stick)

Sigg
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
Has it been confirmed these are legit yet?
Activity: 406
QUIFAS EXCHANGE
The one positive thing I'll say about the BitForce SHA256 if this product ever sees the light of day: it'll make a great stocking-stuffer.

Imagine, for something that will consume about the same energy as one old incandescent light bulb, you can leave this little box plugged into the wall all day that will print digital money for you for the rest of your life.

Happy Holidays friends & family, I'll take two dozen for Xmas 2012 delivery.

We should totally be friends.
Activity: 408
Merit: 261
The one positive thing I'll say about the BitForce SHA256 if this product ever sees the light of day: it'll make a great stocking-stuffer.

Imagine, for something that will consume about the same energy as one old incandescent light bulb, you can leave this little box plugged into the wall all day that will print digital money for you for the rest of your life.

Happy Holidays friends & family, I'll take two dozen for Xmas 2012 delivery.

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
In 4 - 6 weeks BTC going to the moon and beyond LOL.

Wake me up when we actually see a delivery. Production or not. Patched or not.

Thanks !
Activity: 756
The order form was saying 4-6 weeks but with a possibility of much faster.  Hoping that one of us may have it sooner and can test it out Smiley
Last I heard, there are a few weeks left before the first one ships.

Yup.  Roughly 4-6.  Smiley

Beat me to the punch...
Activity: 504

Get your t-shirts here while you wait!
Soon(tm)
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Seems that they are in for production, wonder if anyone had purchased their production model?

I've paid for one... I was promised I was in the first lot, so that's as far as anyone has got so far.  Last I heard, there are a few weeks left before the first one ships.
Activity: 756
Seems that they are in for production, wonder if anyone had purchased their production model?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
And assuming they last long enough to break even. Remember, these things were designed to run at 20 watts, and now they're being pumped with 80 watts.

And now they're designed to run at 80w.  What's your point?

I believe his point is that they weren't designed to run at 80w, they were patched to run at 80w.

Firstly, you and I both know that wasn't his point at all.

Secondly, the board has been re-manufactured with different parts.   That's hardly a patch.
rjk
1ngldh
And assuming they last long enough to break even. Remember, these things were designed to run at 20 watts, and now they're being pumped with 80 watts.

And now they're designed to run at 80w.  What's your point?

I believe his point is that they weren't designed to run at 80w, they were patched to run at 80w.
My understanding is that the power supply circuitry is being reworked from the ground up to be good for 80 watts.

EDIT: I found the quote, here you go:

In relation to the original design they said:
The system actually consumes about 80 watts of power. The 1.1V core voltage regulator on the prototype system was designed with only 50A (around 55Watts) in mind. The power brick is rated at only 48 watts. As is clear, the system has been running over-currented (by some 20A) both on regulator side and PSU side (32 watts on PSU).

In relation to the updated design they said:
Our production system that is currently in manufacture for delivery, has two regulators on board, supporting max 120A of current implemented as a safety margin. The PSU shipped with the units will be equally supporting up to 135 Watts.
Activity: 896
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

And now they're designed to run at 80w.  What's your point?

Activity: 798
It's a little too expensive for me at this point.  I'm interested, but I hope they eventually come down in price.
I'm not sure if your math skills are bad or if you just haven't taken the time to figure this stuff out but the BFL singles make sense from every angle I can see.

That's why I bought 11.
...assuming the singles exist...

And now they're designed to run at 80w.  What's your point?
Activity: 349
I, for one, am waiting for the rig box just because I'm pro like that Grin

BFL please accept the preorder for that so I can give you my 25k ASAP.
I imagine with a rig box you could bank some serious coin on silk road.  Wink
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
I was feeling nervous about the lengthy delay in the order fulfillment coming up against the PayPal 45 day deadline for order dispute.  So I asked BFL for a refund via PayPal - I just got it back, no questions asked.  That might make others in the order queue feel more confident that BFL is a reputable company.
rjk
1ngldh
It's a little too expensive for me at this point.  I'm interested, but I hope they eventually come down in price.
I'm not sure if your math skills are bad or if you just haven't taken the time to figure this stuff out but the BFL singles make sense from every angle I can see.

That's why I bought 11.
...assuming the singles exist...
The power supply circuitry was sized for 20 watts, but is being redesigned because of the higher than expected power draw of the FPGAs.
I wouldn't think that any sane FPGA developer would overclock or overdrive his chips beyond their ratings, so it must have just been a fail of BFL to read the max power draw from the spec sheet.
Or, they could be custom FPGAs from the ground up, (I doubt this, for obvious reasons), and they simply couldn't predict the power usage of a custom design.

EDIT: I might also note, according to the pictures, these look like they might have metal packaging on top, similar to a CPU. From what I understand, this chip packaging is wildly expensive, so I wonder if that is what it is?
Pages:
Jump to: