Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 53. (Read 146909 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I, for one, am waiting for the rig box just because I'm pro like that Grin

BFL please accept the preorder for that so I can give you my 25k ASAP.
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
@gigasvps: curious, having ordered 11 did BFL provide a discount?

He indicated that they cost $600 each, so maybe they did?

We all know they cost $600 on the website. Gigasvps did not say what he paid for his 11; I was curious if he had received a discount for such a large order, hence my question. Why would I assume something when I can get the facts directly from gigasvps? Whether he choses to disclose that or not, is up to him, and I would let the issue rest there.

Though this is a speculation thread, after all ... maybe I should stick to assuming and guessing.  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
It's a little too expensive for me at this point.  I'm interested, but I hope they eventually come down in price.
I'm not sure if your math skills are bad or if you just haven't taken the time to figure this stuff out but the BFL singles make sense from every angle I can see.

That's why I bought 11.
...assuming the singles exist...
And assuming they last long enough to break even. Remember, these things were designed to run at 20 watts, and now they're being pumped with 80 watts.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Wow. You guys post in this thread an awful lot to not know the facts.

http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/

The page clearly shows $599 for a bitforce single.

I did pick one up when they were $499.

I've posted maybe 2 or 3 times in this entire thread (and all of those were on the previous page).  That's an "awful lot"?  What is the title of this thread again?  I think your reading skills are about as good as my math skills Tongue
Activity: 448
Merit: 250

That's the place where they said they would be delivered more than a month ago, right?
vip
Activity: 1358
AKA: gigavps

Wow. You guys post in this thread an awful lot to not know the facts.

http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/

The page clearly shows $599 for a bitforce single.

I did pick one up when they were $499.
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

It's a little too expensive for me at this point.  I'm interested, but I hope they eventually come down in price.

Huh? Huh

$600 for 830Mh/s is $0.723/Mh

I've built 30Gh in rigs and was getting this same $$$/Mh with 5x5830 rigs (all new equipment and custom aluminum frames). Two BFL singles (1660Mh/s) would out perform a 5x5830 rig (1560Mh/s) and the power consumption would drop from ~900w for 5x5830 compared with ~160w for two BFL singles. That's to say that the BFL singles would use 18% the power usage of an equivalent rig and get 100Mh/s more output.

I'm not sure if your math skills are bad or if you just haven't taken the time to figure this stuff out but the BFL singles make sense from every angle I can see.

That's why I bought 11.

...assuming the singles exist...
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Huh? Huh

I've built 30Gh in rigs and was getting this same $$$/Mh with 5x5830 rigs (all new equipment and custom aluminum frames). Two BFL singles (1660Mh/s) would out perform a 5x5830 rig (1560Mh/s) and the power consumption would drop from ~900w for 5x5830 compared with ~160w for two BFL singles. That's to say that the BFL singles would use 18% the power usage of an equivalent rig and get 100Mh/s more output.

That's why I bought 11.

I'm really not sure how much simpler I could have stated it, so I guess I'll have to break it down all lolcats like:

BFL COST X

I HAZ LESS THAN X
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
It's a little too expensive for me at this point.  I'm interested, but I hope they eventually come down in price.

That's why I bought 11.

For a long-term, dedicated mining operation, clearly it makes sense. For the casual, part-time, or small-scale miner, the net benefit is debatable due to the higher resale value risk (let's put the 6 month BFL warranty on the table as well). Not to mention that for people with low electricity costs (say, $0.03/kWH or less), there may not be much advantage to outweigh the additional risk in the short-medium term.

GPUs have a relatively well known, relatively risk-free, salvage value; there is always going to be someone looking to buy Radeons next month and next year. The aftermarket for Bitforce Singles will be orders of magnitude smaller, and they can be used for nothing other than mining; if BTC tanks (or is declared illegal, etc.), the Single would make a good paperweight or coffee table conversation piece but that's about it.

Having said that, I think it is inevitable that there will be a transition from GPU mining to FPGA/ASIC mining. It has already started (Ztex, Icarus, X6500, BFL, ...). Though this transition will be much slower and drawn-out than the transition from CPU to GPU.

vip

Huh? Huh

That's why I bought 11.
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
Activity: 446
Any news for BFL Huh

I think I am going to need some Kleenex when a unit is actually delivered and we get to see what is under the hood Grin
If you want to know whats under the heatsink, you are going to have to order one.  There is no way in hell I am going to remove the heatsink on any of mine.

Me either. I do not care whats under it as long as it works.
Activity: 349
Any news for BFL Huh

I think I am going to need some Kleenex when a unit is actually delivered and we get to see what is under the hood Grin
If you want to know whats under the heatsink, you are going to have to order one.  There is no way in hell I am going to remove the heatsink on any of mine.
vip
Any news for BFL Huh

As I said before, you should email BFL directly if you would like information on your order.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Any news for BFL Huh

rjk
1ngldh
Hello,
to add some math to this disscussion i would like to advertise my new

"Bitcoin mine or invest spreadsheet & mining rig comparison spreadsheet"
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56475.new#new

Please use it to find your very own answer about how your minig rig will perform.

I hope it is helpfull to you all Smiley

For simpler profitability calculations, my favorite calculator is http://bitcoinma.appspot.com/, coded by nmat. Works like a champ.
Activity: 410
Merit: 252
Watercooling the world of mining
The links to the files have been reapired to dropbox
Activity: 410
Merit: 252
Watercooling the world of mining
Hello,
to add some math to this disscussion i would like to advertise my new

"Bitcoin mine or invest spreadsheet & mining rig comparison spreadsheet"
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56475.new#new

Please use it to find your very own answer about how your minig rig will perform.

I hope it is helpfull to you all Smiley
Activity: 446
I guess if people are buying 10 singles and hand them 5k the BFL Labs people might find a fool willing to buy the rig box as well for 25k. Then they can happily disappear like many others before.

Here's a suggestion. If YOU have skin in the game, reply to the email from Sonny and ASK him when your delivery date will be, what production run you are in, etc. It's pretty simple idea. If you don't like the answers you get, cancel your order and ask for a refund.

I have done all these things and am quite pleased with both BFL's responsiveness and their answers.

+1 for thinking like an investor.

While I admit I'm waiting for my singles and getting them running before I will order the rig box, as soon as they are running I will likely get my order in for it too.

I have many successful investments. None have been a sure thing. If I didn't ever take a chance I wouldn't enjoy the life I now have.

No one should suggest those of us who are in the game are fools. I for one am no fool. Even if they don't deliver that wouldn't change that. Its a calculated risk.
Pages:
Jump to: