Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 51. (Read 146909 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Are the people that paid for it while it was still 1.05Gh/s at 20W getting a partial refund? They paid for a product that they won't be getting.

I think they have the option to cancel their order or accept the new lower specs.

I've asked for, and received a full refund.
I believe this serves to sufficiently prove the legitimacy of the project. CanaryInTheMine was one of the first to post in the previous thread, and must have been one of the first orders too, and seeing him get a refund beyond the chargeback window is encouraging.

Don't jump the gun. If they are going to scam, they wouldn't do it this 'early'. If I were in BFL's position (assuming scam) I'd wait until they have shipped to disappear. Not when I get bad numbers
If that were the case, it would be the most epic bitcoin-related scam of the century, and I would have to applaud them for sticking around as long as they have just to gain a few more signups.

I do not at this point see what benefit there might be by sticking around for so long if it were indeed a scam. I don't know of any scammers that have lasted this long, or that have delivered such convincing proof of a product.

If this is a scam, and nothing is shipped, you may quote me in saying that not only will I be out the pre-pay amount ($500 or so), I will also eat my mining rigs piece by piece.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Decent Programmer to boot!
Are the people that paid for it while it was still 1.05Gh/s at 20W getting a partial refund? They paid for a product that they won't be getting.

I think they have the option to cancel their order or accept the new lower specs.

I believe this serves to sufficiently prove the legitimacy of the project. CanaryInTheMine was one of the first to post in the previous thread, and must have been one of the first orders too, and seeing him get a refund beyond the chargeback window is encouraging.

Don't jump the gun. If they are going to scam, they wouldn't do it this 'early'. If I were in BFL's position (assuming scam) I'd wait until they have shipped to disappear. Not when I get bad numbers
rjk
1ngldh

donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!

rjk
1ngldh

They also were able to order at a discount anyway, $499 instead of $599.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

rjk
1ngldh
I don't remember that +/- being mentioned before..  I take the above to mean "as long as we can push 750 M/h at 80 watts, we're good"
Pretty sure it was there previously, except that it said "1.05 Ghash +/- 10%" instead of 800 and change.
donator
Gerald Davis
Wrd.  I remember for my Visa merchant account I was paying 14% off the top.  It's just ridiculous.

You sure that wasn't a mob account?

I sold phone card ... online .... delivered digitally .... back in the dark ages of the 90s (when have bank executives didn't understand what the internet was)  and only paid 2.9% +$0.30 (plus another $0.30 or so for addresss & fraud screening).

I know CC are bad but 14%?  Someone was screwing you over and it wasn't the credit card companies. Smiley
Activity: 381
http://www.butterflylabs.com/product-details/

Raw performance:

832 Mega Hash / second  (+/- 10% running variance)
Power consumption:

80w at load

--------------------------------

I don't remember that +/- being mentioned before..  I take the above to mean "as long as we can push 750 M/h at 80 watts, we're good"   

On the original test box, wasn't it 82 watts?  Looks to me like they didn't get as much of a power boost from the new power module that they hoped for....

On the flipside.. If they are in fact updating product descriptions based on testing of actual shipping units, I'd call this a good thing...

Remaining cautiously optomistic,
Sigg
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
Wrd.  I remember for my Visa merchant account I was paying 14% off the top.  It's just ridiculous.
legendary
Activity: 1260
For my business, I have given up on CC merchant accounts.  The fees are astronomical for low volume accounts and they are a major pain to deal with (PCI compliance and such) and are just a general all around hassle.  This is one of the things that attracts me to Bitcoin... but I only accept PP now for CC purchases of services from my customers, simply because it's easier and cheaper, even though I despise Paypal.  The fact that it's also virtually ubiquitous makes it a more than viable alternative to a regular merchant account.  I certainly don't begrudge anyone ditching the shitbag CC industry, even if you still have to use it through a proxy like Paypal. 

donator
Gerald Davis
It is sent as a PayPal invoice, not gifted. I will keep everyone posted as well. I have been in communication with them and they have performed well so far. I am expecting this to be in within 4-6 weeks at the MAX per BFL.

LOLZ.  So did the person who bought it first week in October (w/ same 4-6 week promise).
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
It is sent as a PayPal invoice, not gifted. I will keep everyone posted as well. I have been in communication with them and they have performed well so far. I am expecting this to be in within 4-6 weeks at the MAX per BFL.
What high end manufacturer of FPGAs and FPGA arrays sells novelty items with their name on it?

Just about anyone can use CafePress.com Wink

Exactly. My point is that it seems mediocre.

Yup, and I was right on board with you.

What high end manufacturer of FPGAs and FPGA arrays sells novelty items with their name on it?

But not everyone can take credit cards. You have to be a real company to do that.

Funny how that works...circumvent it with being a merchant on PayPal !  Then no one is the wiser Tongue...right ?

When purchasing from them via Paypal, do they have you checkout like it is a normal purchase? Or do they have you gift it or something? I take that back, we wouldn't be dumb enough to just gift it. They should directly accept CCs and such though.
Activity: 406

Yup, and I was right on board with you.

But not everyone can take credit cards. You have to be a real company to do that.

Funny how that works...circumvent it with being a merchant on PayPal !  Then no one is the wiser Tongue...right ?

Activity: 798
hey.. looked at the website and it no longer lists the singles as "pre-order" ..  has anyone recieved their units yet?

Not yet. Will keep you posted.

Activity: 406

Pages:
Jump to: