Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 54. (Read 146909 times)

vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
I guess if people are buying 10 singles and hand them 5k the BFL Labs people might find a fool willing to buy the rig box as well for 25k. Then they can happily disappear like many others before.

Here's a suggestion. If YOU have skin in the game, reply to the email from Sonny and ASK him when your delivery date will be, what production run you are in, etc. It's pretty simple idea. If you don't like the answers you get, cancel your order and ask for a refund.

I have done all these things and am quite pleased with both BFL's responsiveness and their answers.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
I guess if people are buying 10 singles and hand them 5k the BFL Labs people might find a fool willing to buy the rig box as well for 25k. Then they can happily disappear like many others before.
Or, they might even deliver something awesome. Hell, you never really know at this point.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
vip
Activity: 446
I have plenty of "Skin" in this as you can see below.

One thing to notice is the PS. at the end of the below email (I changes the @ symbols and bolded the PS). I feel I was well informed that this could be a several month wait although in other (previous) emails they were more optimistic. These were all before the demonstration btw. The posters that have been so critical have had numerous valid concerns that have made me sweat a bit. I hope to be able to report back later this month and tell you all how great they are.

If they don't deliver: It will hurt but I will recover and I'll be far more pessimistic in the future.

If they do deliver and for whatever reason I think they will: I have a rather good rig with my investment returned in about 4 months at current prices. After that its just electricity and these are so much better than the other options I was considering even with the ramp up in wattage. I live in Alaska so those extra watts won't be a total waste anyway. Its -7F -22C here in Anchorage as I post this.

Subject:    Re: New submission from Pre-Order Form
Date:    November 16, 2011 3:06:15 PM AKST

Thank you for your order.

You are now registered for delivery of 10 Pre-Order units of our BitForce SHA256 Single product.

Completing your order:

You have chosen to pay via PayPal.  I've just sent a PayPal invoice to this email address for the order amount of $5,008.00.  Please be aware that we can only ship to PayPal customers at their PayPal verified address.  If the shipping address you gave is not your PayPal verified address, please supply the correct one.

Our PayPal corporate account email is office(at)butterflylabs.com

Once payment has been received, I'll respond with final confirmation of your order.

Once again, thank you for your purchase and interest in our company.

Kind regards,
Sonny K
BF Labs Inc.

PS.  Please properly consider the 4-8 week delivery time before completing your order.
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
Maybe we should try and keep this thread on topic for those who actually have skin in the game...  Grin

I'm actually interested in getting an FPGA miner which is why I'm here. The BFL single seems interesting. The question now is do I wait (and for how long) for BFL, or get one of the existing designs which are actually shipping.

The draw for me is that I do not have any existing hardware that I can permanently use for mining, and at this point in time I'm not inclined to go buy the infrastructure to support GPU mining.

- Zed
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
The relevant part being where BFL says "We're currently scheduled for initial pre-order purchases to be delivered in January." There is no news, either from BFL or forum members who actually have orders, that indicate a delivery estimate beyond January.

Well there is no firm delivery estimate period.  If you buy one today the order page says 4-6 weeks which would be mid February.

True, but I'm more interested in the people who already have orders in. @jddebug, for example, posted just a few days ago:

I ordered my singles middle of November. I came across this or actually the previous thread about a week later and got very concerned about it possibly being a scam. I decided to ride it out and wait and see.

BFL has kept in touch with me or at least they reply to my emails whenever I have contacted them. I'm currently told that I can expect shipment third week of January. (Originally delivery would have been about right now)
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
The relevant part being where BFL says "We're currently scheduled for initial pre-order purchases to be delivered in January." There is no news, either from BFL or forum members who actually have orders, that indicate a delivery estimate beyond January.

Well there is no firm delivery estimate period.  If you buy one today the order page says 4-6 weeks which would be mid February.
legendary
BFL once said that they wouldn't ship until capacity increased. They won't 'ship' until they've made enough money to happily disappear?
I think you are taking the comment out of context. I assume the message you are referring to is this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.662295

All BFL says is "it's our goal to reduce lead time as volume increases." Nothing about not shipping until capacity increases.

A more recent post by BFL, and the most recent on the subject, is this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.662272

Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
BFL once said that they wouldn't ship until capacity increased. They won't 'ship' until they've made enough money to happily disappear?
legendary
Maybe we should try and keep this thread on topic for those who actually have skin in the game...  Grin

Now that BFL has left the building ('chased out', perhaps being more accurate), and no one yet has a Single to play with, there isn't much else that can be said other than speculation. I'd rather not be wading through this noise, but I'm not surprised at all these off-topic posts. Let's (myself included) try to keep them to a minimum as a courtesy to the people waiting for real information.

Within 2 weeks BFL should have their new batch of updated boards and then we'll actually have something relevant to discuss.
Activity: 518
I think it is best to keep this thread on topic.

I can hardly await the first deliveries of the unicorn. Hopefully somebody pulls out the chips so we can see what is behind God's creation Grin.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
I'm sure your day job involves lots of bsing, making it a habit of yours.

Oh my. Now I feel so inferior to you.

- Zed

Thats funny, your wife said to me the same thing about you
Activity: 798
Ugh, I can't wait to not have to read this thread anymore.   Some of you have serious issues.
Activity: 448

If I had skin in the game, I would expect BFL to create their own thread and using that and their website, keep me apprised of the state of things.

4-6 weeks, kids... Roll Eyes
vip
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

Oh my. Now I feel so inferior to you.

- Zed
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
The other "interesting" thing is nobody makes 2500W powersupplies (due to lack of need and lack of access).  
So maybe the device can only work @ 240V using a pair of 1500W PSU?

Getting a 2500W power supply is not hard, it's just not as easy as driving to your favorite PC hobby supplier to buy a couple. This is because they are more of an "industrial" solution than a "personal" solution.

I am not familiar with the US National Electrical Code and applications of it in households, but I imagine that you could easily install a dedicated circuit in the electrical panel that feeds a NEMA L6-20R (receptacle) and then get a cord that converts from L6-20P (plug) to the the appropriate receptacle on the power supply, likely an IEC C19. Standard PC power supplies use IEC C13 (on cord)/C14 (on power supply).

The compute chassis' that I use in my day job have four 2500W power supplies, one of which is a hot spare. I don't have one to look at right now to check voltage range, but I know we feed each one from one leg of three-phase 208v coming off our UPS, and I know that we have fed them off 240v single phase circuits. They use an IEC C20 socket.

I just looked at some IBM x3650M2 (single quad-core Xeon [email protected]) servers I have and the power supplies (two) are 675w and can be fed using anything from 100v to 240v. They appear to be made by Emerson and have an IEC C14 socket on them.

- Zed

And what is your day job, honey?

Not that it's any of your business, but it's the one that pays the bills, including the mortgage, electricity, ramenfood, cars, RV, etc., and allows me to play with expensive toys.  Grin

- Zed

legendary
Activity: 1876
Activity: 531
Merit: 505
Pages:
Jump to: