Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 57. (Read 146909 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
but i guess theres more profit in selling it to ppl who could afford it?
Of course. Selling pitchforks to the miners is always more profitable than mining the gold yourself, if I may be so bold as to use one of [Tycho]'s expressions.
Yeah, It's the same thing as being a Farmer, You can eat your own food, And live untill natural death
Or, Do that exact same thing, And sell some of your crop and seeds, Gaining you extra income, Causing you to live in wealth untill natural death
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
but i guess theres more profit in selling it to ppl who could afford it?
Of course. Selling pitchforks to the miners is always more profitable than mining the gold yourself, if I may be so bold as to use one of [Tycho]'s expressions.
Activity: 341
now i'm no expert by any means but it kind of seems like one of those "buy my how to get rich strategy" deals. i mean if invented a box that could do 50g/hash i'd just turn it on and keep my mouth shut. but i guess theres more profit in selling it to ppl who could afford it?
rjk
1ngldh
Actually they did up the watt usage of the rig box, BUT LEFT THE HARSH RATE ALONE lol!
Actually, they dropped it from 54 and some decimal down to the current 50 or so.

Also, it certainly is possible that the quoted price is for the base unit with one hashing module, and you pay extra for additional pluggable modules. I don't know if this is the case, but it is possible.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

I didn't know the rig box had it as low as 900W.  so 2500 makes sense..... interesting stuff....  I have probably 24k in gpus, now your telling me I could have waited till now, and done it all with one rig??  we will see,  this bitcoin business is no free lunch.  converting electricity into bitcoins is no easy feat, on any platform.  It takes alot of money, electricity, and hard work.  If you can buy something like that big box, turn it on and it gets 50G........WOW is all I can say..

I eagerly wait for the 'release'
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
I was referring to the 'proprietary implementation of ASIC and FPGA technology' that BFL is currently wowing us with...except there is no ASIC.

USB UARTs are ASICs right?

Yeah. I am pretty sure they will be responsible for doubling the performance in the rig box. It's all in the USB hub, holmes.

It is issues like this that still make me think there is something extremely dodgy about this BFL folks. Kind of hard to think they can scam $25k at once though so maybe there is an explanation.

I am no expert, but judging from the change they had to make for the single (from 20w to 80w possibly60w)  they have not updated the big rig yet from 2500watts to Huh  6000 ?  7500?

Actually they did up the watt usage of the rig box, BUT LEFT THE HARSH RATE ALONE lol!

The rig box specs was 50GHs, 900W. Now its 50GHs with 2500w which is roughly 32 singles x 80 watt.

Earlier, when being asked how they got 50GHs from a 32 singles, they said the rig box would be using different (more efficient) chips, yet they based the power usage of the single for this "Guaranteed performance figure" LOL what a joke
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
I was referring to the 'proprietary implementation of ASIC and FPGA technology' that BFL is currently wowing us with...except there is no ASIC.

Yeah. I am pretty sure they will be responsible for doubling the performance in the rig box. It's all in the USB hub, holmes.

It is issues like this that still make me think there is something extremely dodgy about this BFL folks. Kind of hard to think they can scam $25k at once though so maybe there is an explanation.

I am no expert, but judging from the change they had to make for the single (from 20w to 80w possibly60w)  they have not updated the big rig yet from 2500watts to Huh  6000 ?  7500?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
Sorry Epoch,

You are using logic. Not spoken here.
My apologies.  Wink

rjk
1ngldh

Where exactly is that ASIC again?
Do you want to know? I'll be glad to tell you: [Tycho] AKA Deepbit is developing it. You're welcome.

Don't tell me: another 1.05GHash/s, 20W, $499 preorder miracle box? Seems we're coming full circle.
No stated ghash, no stated wattage, no stated price, no pre-order (that I know of, yet).
However, also no website or announcement either.
Just wait a few months, keep your money to yourself, and watch the magic unfold.
Lots of things are possible when you have plenty of money.

So it is indeed them that have been unloading the BTC on Gox to fund this crap ASIC ? No wonder.
rjk
1ngldh
Don't tell me: another 1.05GHash/s, 20W, $499 preorder miracle box? Seems we're coming full circle.
No stated ghash, no stated wattage, no stated price, no pre-order (that I know of, yet).
However, also no website or announcement either.
Just wait a few months, keep your money to yourself, and watch the magic unfold.
Lots of things are possible when you have plenty of money.
Activity: 530
Few will be willing to jump on the FPGA/ASIC train if the ROI isn't attractive.

There are a lot of people willing to pay out of pocket to effect changes they see as positive for society. These people aren't interested in running hot noisy boxes in their apartments, but a cool low power draw and silent little box is something they're willing to fire up and forget - if it has a chance of upsetting a (bad) status quo.

No ROI, at least monetarily, involved.

Activity: 349
Do you want to know? I'll be glad to tell you: [Tycho] AKA Deepbit is developing it. You're welcome.

Realistically, further FPGA/ASIC development is inevitable as long as bitcoin mining remains profitable. We can look forward to another 12 months of 50BTC/block reward, but after that the reward is cut in half: 25BTC/block. Few expect the BTC->USD exchange rate to be affected by this much, which will leave a lot of the existing GPU crowd in unprofitable territory if BTC prices are in the $2-$4 range by then. FPGA and ASIC miners are the only real option, but whether they are viable depends on their ROI.

Few will be willing to jump on the FPGA/ASIC train if the ROI isn't attractive. The resale opportunities for an FPGA/ASIC miner are extremely limited since they are very much a niche product; whereas GPUs can be resold at attractive prices without issues.

BFL's 'product' (a loose term, granted, until they actually ship) has a current break-even time of 10 months. Similar to a 5870 or other efficient GPU. What could you resell the BFL box for after 10 months, with no warranty? Half price? I can buy 2 5870s for $400 today and be confident that I can resell them for 10% less ($360) in 10 months.

Even if a newer FPGA or ASIC design achieves 1/10th the power draw of the BFL product at similar hashrates and cost, it doesn't have much advantage from an ROI perspective: the payback for such a device (even assuming 0 power draw) would be ~9 months compared to BFL's ~10 months. BFL's product will be available (theoretically) in month. Any other vaporware FPGA/ASIC product won't see the light of day for another 6 months, if at all, which doesn't give a lot of mining time in our shrinking 50BTC/block window.
Sorry Epoch,

You are using logic. Not spoken here.
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

Realistically, further FPGA/ASIC development is inevitable as long as bitcoin mining remains profitable. We can look forward to another 12 months of 50BTC/block reward, but after that the reward is cut in half: 25BTC/block. Few expect the BTC->USD exchange rate to be affected by this much, which will leave a lot of the existing GPU crowd in unprofitable territory if BTC prices are in the $2-$4 range by then. FPGA and ASIC miners are the only real option, but whether they are viable depends on their ROI.

Few will be willing to jump on the FPGA/ASIC train if the ROI isn't attractive. The resale opportunities for an FPGA/ASIC miner are extremely limited since they are very much a niche product; whereas GPUs can be resold at attractive prices without issues.

BFL's 'product' (a loose term, granted, until they actually ship) has a current break-even time of 10 months. Similar to a 5870 or other efficient GPU. What could you resell the BFL box for after 10 months, with no warranty? Half price? I can buy 2 5870s for $400 today and be confident that I can resell them for 10% less ($360) in 10 months.

Even if a newer FPGA or ASIC design achieves 1/10th the power draw of the BFL product at similar hashrates and cost, it doesn't have much advantage from an ROI perspective: the payback for such a device (even assuming 0 power draw) would be ~9 months compared to BFL's ~10 months. BFL's product will be available (theoretically) in month. Any other vaporware FPGA/ASIC product won't see the light of day for another 6 months, if at all, which doesn't give a lot of mining time in our shrinking 50BTC/block window.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
I just gotta leave this here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/t-52081

How come a guy who doubted 1GHs/20W was possible is listening(and believing) to rumours about 1GHs/10W??

Funny, indeed...
The key part there is the "ETA 6 months". The problem with BFL's original claims wasn't that 1GHs at 20W is impossible, but that it made no sense for a company to suddenly appear selling boxes that achieved it because it requires ASICs with long lead times and huge up-front costs. If you're going to be producing this kind of ASIC, it makes sense to announce it up-front in order to discourage anyone else from trying to manufacture them too and cutting into your profit margins.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
In any case, BFL seem to be nearing the finish line, let's hope there aren't more surprises(bad surprises).  Of course, this could be repeated with the Rig Box and "Super Computer", but I think that the school of hard knocks has taught a lesson.
I doubt it.

The rig box "magically" has twice the power efficiency of the single (and despite being asked in this thread) BFL has provided no explanation.  I asked "is that power efficiency based on a working product or only on a simulation" without a response.
2500 / 32 = 78.125 W/upgrade slot.  This is consistent with the power reported for the POC single. The modules are not the same as the singles, and the rig box is supposed to have hardware unique to itself.

And I'm weary of this BFL bashing.  If you think there is something fishy going on, then by all means do not spend any money with BFL. Not revealing their IP does not mean they are scammers, only capitalists.

Let's see where we are in mid-January, better data, better conclusions.

Wow, how does that show efficiency genius?

Why i'm not surprised knowing you're a sheep listening to BFL's bullshiet.

I said nothing about efficiency,  read much?  Welcome to ignore.

What an idiot, you replied to a post with POWER EFFICIENCY in question.

Ignore my ass, you know you will read this.

I just gotta leave this here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/t-52081

How come a guy who doubted 1GHs/20W was possible is listening(and believing) to rumours about 1GHs/10W??

Funny, indeed...

Just a rumor that will probably never become true.
Pages:
Jump to: