Pages:
Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 18. (Read 529056 times)

Activity: 227
Merit: 100
If the letter of the law is not working for them, you just have to take to the woods and beat them until the person will not give all the money.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1002
18 months and not a single delivery. big project failure by OP.
Activity: 205
without going back through pages and pages what is the situation here? Did they make their machines yet?

No...the circle jerk continues. Basically, they don't have any clue what they're doing and have had to re-do pretty much every single thing along the way, from the chip to the supporting hardware. Every 6 weeks or so, they make a news update letting everyone know that they've reached heretofore undiscovered depths of ineptitude, in their quest to produce the most highly-optimized, completely worthless mining hardware.
Activity: 704
Merit: 500
without going back through pages and pages what is the situation here? Did they make their machines yet?
Activity: 205
My problem with the winding up petition is, I really don't think they have any assets to liquidate. Everything about this project is outsourced. I don't even think there would be office furniture to sell off. They have done so much reworking of their hardware, that I'm betting they haven't even purchased the components in bulk yet. I've grown pretty skeptical that recovery is possible. At this point, I just want them put out of business with such a giant stain on their name that they'll never be able to rip anyone else off, again.
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
I have been in talks with a law firm that is very good at Debt Recovery.

I am negotiating a flat-fee cost for winding up Alpha. If Alpha is wound up, their assets will be seized and sold to pay off debts. You *DO NOT NEED to have a Judgement* to participate in a winding up order. If you are interested in joining, I need from you:

1. Your full name
2. The Amount that Alpha owes you.
3. Your full address

Send me these items and I will compile them, and get them over to the law firm. I will shoot off another email when we are ready for the next step, which will be soon.

Send it to [email protected]
Activity: 812
Merit: 500
I'm still looking here time to time.

Can't stop laughing at how retarded people investing in this obvious scam were.
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
Unfortunately their website has worked for me. Checked it a couple of times the past few days. They should pull it down. The whole thing is a farse. They have no products to sell and can't even operate a telephone. The website is pure propaganda.

Thank you for explaining 120 vs 240V, I always forget the mechanics of it.
Activity: 402
Merit: 250
their website has been down for a few days now.

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1007
I'm pretty sure most customers don't pay $0,10 a KWh, but likely around $0,30 in Europe...
You will pay 10K to lose $500 (and rising each day) a month over here.
Now that's what I call a great ROI  Grin

That's quite a good guess, here is an overview EU wide: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Electricity_prices_for_household_consumers,_first_half_2013_%281%29_%28EUR_per_kWh%29_YB14.png

28 cents euro versus 0,30 USD at this moment.
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 2258
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
Power equals current times voltage, or P=I*E. Mmmm. Pie. What this means is that in Eurpoe the voltage is doubled but the current needed is halved. This leads to some nice things (less power lost in the wires due to heat) and not-so-nice things (getting shocked by 240v hurts more than 120. Don't try this at home).

But the power from the miner's point of view is constant.
I'm pretty sure most customers don't pay $0,10 a KWh, but likely around $0,30 in Europe...

Since Europe uses 240V power versus the USA's 120V, wouldn't that mean you guys get twice the power per KWH? My brain hurts when I have to think about 240V. Regardless of where you live it doesn't make much sense to plug your Vipers in, unless your stealing electricity. Not something that is advisable unless you enjoy having the power company shut off power indefinitely at your address, whether your willing to pay for it or not. It's easy to steal if you know how, and apparently easy for the power company to tell as well. There are meters everywhere all communicating in real time. My advice, don't even think about it.
Activity: 23
Let me get this straight. Their miners will run at 14 Watts per 1Mh/s which means:

If you had your rigs right now, say the 50Mh/s Viper, and you pay $0.10 per KWH as we do in the Florida. A 50Mh/s Viper would currently earn $1.80 per day in LTC, of which $1.68 goes to cover power costs, leaving $0.12 in profit. If you ran it for a year straight, assuming no changes in price or difficulty, it would earn $43.88 annually. With the cost of a 50Mh/s Viper at approx $1950 USD it would only take about half a century to ROI, yes that's 50 years.

I have to say I'm actually surprised that these things even make that much, I fully expected it to run at a loss. Why are they still working on this paper weight? There is no demand for it, why make it at all? Just ship people a metal box with a hair dryer inside of it along with some blinking lights and call it a day?

legendary
You're right. Powering this type of ASIC is a real challenge. However, there are solutions available for CPUs and GPUs - typically, these are complex multi-phase systems with sophisticated feedback systems carefully tuned for the precise application. While you can buy the voltage controller ASIC off-the-shelf, you still need the inductors, switches, and compensation network, as well as a suitable circuit design.
Yup, and the smallest mistakes can provide all sorts of hilarity. Part of the reason I prefer using R(ds) for overload sensing, DCM is great for sensing power through the choke, but that RC circuit can be affected by noise, component layout, and doesn't tell you if the FETs are cutting through. But who wants to spend the money for an op-amp limiting circuit on both sides of the push/pull? Not to mention the fun that happens when the voltage drop from the left side of the chip to the right side of the chip (500 amps, .6 volts...) causes problems.

The off-shelf stuff is great for testing, but very expensive to use for mass production. And in Alpha's case I wonder how stable it is when half the engines are running light power pulls while farting with the memory and the other half are pulling full current for the math engines. At random across the die of course, this is a tougher problem. So they ran everything at full current and now the chips overloads the power supplies. Yep.

The latest spins of the board appear to use Altera monolithic DC-DC converters - an impressive ASIC with integrated switches and integrated inductor! Again, suggestive of the fact that there is no will or capability to build a DC-DC solution in house. The Altera converters are even more expensive - $19 each in 1k quanitites - with 1 converter needed per viper ASIC. The other issue is that they seem desperate to keep the cost down, they've said that the viper ASIC needs 15A @ 1.2 V - so it's rather optimistic to use a monolithic DC-DC converter rated at a maximum current rating of 15 A.

Yeah. There's a lot of weird pressures and unbridled optimism in some of these mining firms. This is complex shit, and happy pony magic doesn't work well when the 600amp IGBT goes foom. Building this kind of stuff right takes months/years, not "wave wand and it works in a week".

Ah well. They fucked up.
Activity: 85
Miner and technician
Developing power supplies for Bitcoin miners is in a class of problem called "bitch on wheels". This however is not an unknown issue, it has buried a number of other companies over the years and anyone who has designed high power supplies knows the joy of watching smoke and plasma balls rise from 300 amp IGBT circuits.

I think however that people designing boards tend to be simply willfully ignorant of the issues of providing 500 amps of power at half a volt and thus they screw up the same thing over and over again. At least on a SHA256 chip each engine is pulling constant power through the hashing cycle.

You're right. Powering this type of ASIC is a real challenge. However, there are solutions available for CPUs and GPUs - typically, these are complex multi-phase systems with sophisticated feedback systems carefully tuned for the precise application. While you can buy the voltage controller ASIC off-the-shelf, you still need the inductors, switches, and compensation network, as well as a suitable circuit design.

One of the things that struck me when I first saw the PCB layouts for the alpha board was that they appeared to be using off-the-shelf , but very expensive ($50 each in 1k quantities), DC-DC modules for each group of 4 ASICs. This suggested to me that they either didn't want to fund the design of a DC-DC converter based around a CPU/GPU VRM ASIC, or that they did not have the expertise to be able to build such a converter.

The latest spins of the board appear to use Altera monolithic DC-DC converters - an impressive ASIC with integrated switches and integrated inductor! Again, suggestive of the fact that there is no will or capability to build a DC-DC solution in house. The Altera converters are even more expensive - $19 each in 1k quanitites - with 1 converter needed per viper ASIC. The other issue is that they seem desperate to keep the cost down, they've said that the viper ASIC needs 15A @ 1.2 V - so it's rather optimistic to use a monolithic DC-DC converter rated at a maximum current rating of 15 A.
legendary
Developing power supplies for Bitcoin miners is in a class of problem called "bitch on wheels". This however is not an unknown issue, it has buried a number of other companies over the years and anyone who has designed high power supplies knows the joy of watching smoke and plasma balls rise from 300 amp IGBT circuits.

I think however that people designing boards tend to be simply willfully ignorant of the issues of providing 500 amps of power at half a volt and thus they screw up the same thing over and over again. At least on a SHA256 chip each engine is pulling constant power through the hashing cycle. I wonder if a scrypt miner pulls varying levels of power depending on where it is in the computations, and that power variance fucks over any attempt to provide a constant level of power to the engine with 500 other engines on the same chip bitching and moaning as they vary their requirements from cycle to cycle.

It could explain the complete graveyard in the Scrypt space. That could also move the level of "hard" from "flaming levels of difficult" to "fuck, we have a chip and can't make it work! And here comes THE NOISE FAIRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1007
This latest update from Alpha has delivered some wonderful satire - quite how it is possible to project manage as badly as this beggars belief.

They've had nearly a year with virtually no competition, and they've blown it all, with fail after fail after fail.
SFARDS (formerly gridseed) taped out their 2nd gen scrypt ASIC last month with an estimated power efficiency of 2W per MH/s.

I wonder if alpha will ship their 14.4 J/MH miners before SFARDS ship their 2 J/MH miners...

That's an interesting one to monitor. So far I only find "zero information, but it's going to be very cool very soon" on SFARDS Smiley
Activity: 85
Miner and technician
This latest update from Alpha has delivered some wonderful satire - quite how it is possible to project manage as badly as this beggars belief.

They've had nearly a year with virtually no competition, and they've blown it all, with fail after fail after fail.
SFARDS (formerly gridseed) taped out their 2nd gen scrypt ASIC last month with an estimated power efficiency of 2W per MH/s.

I wonder if alpha will ship their 14.4 J/MH miners before SFARDS ship their 2 J/MH miners...
Activity: 12
His failure to acknowledge this either says A) he's totally unfamiliar with the market or B) he's a moron.
A moron, but also a multi millionaire.
Pages:
Jump to: