Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 220. (Read 529054 times)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10
1U cases usually have smaller fans, which are much noisier. 1U cases require special PSU rather than plain ATA PSU, don't they?
I think it would be better to use 2U or 3U case, to have quieter device, with standard PSU,
and with margins (more space), which would allow to enlarge size or number of modules if their hashing speed is worse than expected.

Using "margins on margins" worked well for KnCMiner. The others provided less margins and it was often the source of their problems.

You brought up something I had been wondering about: What is the noise level of the 1U units? Really, an answer in Db would be great. (A range for now).
I would imagine most people will be running these out of their homes and noise will be a HUGE factor.

I just bought a LTC mining computer with an AMD R9-290 GPU in it - NOISY (via terrible design). I had to use an aftermarket fan/cooler to bring the level down (a lot). Warranty is gone when you do that.

So, while things are still being finalized - Alpha Tech - Can you take noise into consideration? Most appreciated.

Its about sharing

I just built a 4u rig with 2 x r9 290, having 2 x 80mm fans and 2 x 120mm fans, It's circa 60db. I would imagine it would not be too dissimilar.

Rig number 2 under way with 3 of the r9 290's in....

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
1U cases usually have smaller fans, which are much noisier. 1U cases require special PSU rather than plain ATA PSU, don't they?
I think it would be better to use 2U or 3U case, to have quieter device, with standard PSU,
and with margins (more space), which would allow to enlarge size or number of modules if their hashing speed is worse than expected.

Using "margins on margins" worked well for KnCMiner. The others provided less margins and it was often the source of their problems.

You brought up something I had been wondering about: What is the noise level of the 1U units? Really, an answer in Db would be great. (A range for now).
I would imagine most people will be running these out of their homes and noise will be a HUGE factor.

I just bought a LTC mining computer with an AMD R9-290 GPU in it - NOISY (via terrible design). I had to use an aftermarket fan/cooler to bring the level down (a lot). Warranty is gone when you do that.

So, while things are still being finalized - Alpha Tech - Can you take noise into consideration? Most appreciated.

Its about sharing
Fiaz, care to explain this, its not to inspiring my friend.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/alpha-technologies-photos-408722

It's a shop / presence on the high street, nothing more nothing less, the units aren't being made here, not sure what your point is. The company has been started legitimately under Uk law, one of the directors who has trained in accountancy will never be able to practice again if he has knowlingly been involved in fraud.

This has all been covered in multiple conversations, even on earlier posts in this thread.

Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale
RHA
Activity: 392
Merit: 250

RHA
Activity: 392
Fiaz can you report on why the user kab is posting using your signature "Fiaz"?

Look to earlier posts. User kab didn't use "insert quote" button when citing Fiaz's text to show in red where Fiaz had made a common grammar error.
Kab wrote "Read again..." and copied this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/alpha-technology-litecoin-scrypt-asic-miner-order-batch-1-now-314402
The copied post contained "Fiaz". Simple.
It was quite obvious to people who read whole thread carefully, yet it was strange enough for the new ones. Smiley
Activity: 23
WTB your pre-order for the 5m/hs unit. Willing to negotiate a premium. PM me if interested, serious buyer looking for serious sellers.
4u / 1u, there isn't really a great deal of cost difference between the chassis. In fact nine times out of ten it costs more to buy components for smaller chassis than it does larger ones. It'll cost them more fore sure to go for a bespoke short chassis than it would to go for a standard case. I'd happily see them go for an off the shelf chassis than spend time on designing their own.

In short I don't think there is any cost saving to be had for 5mh/s of 25mh/s as a result of any chassis changes (possibly a few quid, but not worth the quibble). Personally I'd like to see them stick with something slightly larger for the 25mh/s so I can get some more 80/120mm fans on board :-)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
I think they've explained earlier in the thread about the size reduction.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
From the standpoint of architecture and basic engineering, I find it borderline sci-fi to be reducing the physical footprint of the thermal space by 80%, increasing the density of chips, maintaining the same hashrate, all while reducing the power usage. Can you even do the math on the efficiency factor for that? A+B = Astonishing, that's what it is.

For this to be legit, would be groundbreaking. Not saying it's not legit.. but it was at least realistic during the preorder stage when the system was a full-height case. Kindof hard to believe at this point without so much as a technical drawing..

Yes, schematics, pictures of production, and/or in-depth tech discussions would be helpful and reassuring at this phase. The window for no-penalty cancelation is fast approaching and I'm sure you are going to lose a lot of people without some proof of these, frankly, hard-to-swallow claims.

Fiaz can you report on why you are able to reduce the footprint of the 4U 25MHz units to a 1U design but are not passing the cost savings down to the buyers of the 5MHz 1U units.  I find is suspect youare able to do so but if you can why are you overcharging your 5MHz consumers?
Activity: 714
Your over you are is common grammar mistake in UK.
Sorry, but it is no mistake and it is you who needs to correct his grammar.  He said "Hey I can't really answer your questions" which is correct, he is not saying "You're" or "you" as that would not make any sense at all.  In this instance he used to correct wording.

I am also looking forward to fiaz answering a few of these questions put forth by crazyearner.  Especially the one mentioning visiting the premises of your business.

Read again...

Hey I can't really answer your questions without knowing them. Your welcome to PM me.

Fiaz.

Looks like you forgot to log out of your alt account again.

Fiaz can you report on why the user kab is posting using your signature "Fiaz"?
Activity: 616
For what it's worth guys, after reviewing some competitor hardware, I retract previous statements I've made in saying that it seems hard to believe.

I can believe 5mh in a 1U system as I've seen some equipment doing it.

I think it's possible they can stuff 25mh worth in a 1u, but that the thermal load won't be forgiving.

Now that I've seen the hardware is achievable, I hope this company can build my confidence up in them. I'm also awaiting a PM from Fiaz, hope he responds ...
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
Yup, and the closer to delivery date, the more expensive it gets.
Activity: 323
Will there be any more opportunities to secure a unit before the launch date? Or are all preorders filled?
ATM, best bet would probably be for someone selling their slot in the queue.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Will there be any more opportunities to secure a unit before the launch date? Or are all preorders filled?
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
With these pre-sales you are not really buying a rig, you are financing product research and development. The business model is suited better for the developer than the financier.

Activity: 223
Merit: 116
4. Can you provide 2 Ethernet ports instead of one, so units can be easily cascaded?

While this seems like a good idea, if one rig dies, it could end up killing the daisy chain of other systems behind it.

$8 gets you a 4 port switch, $12 gets you a 16 port switch, etc, etc.. much better.

You are right, I was assuming the product would be high quality  Smiley
Activity: 616
4. Can you provide 2 Ethernet ports instead of one, so units can be easily cascaded?

While this seems like a good idea, if one rig dies, it could end up killing the daisy chain of other systems behind it.

$8 gets you a 4 port switch, $12 gets you a 16 port switch, etc, etc.. much better.
Activity: 223
Merit: 116
Hi Fiaz I have the following questions:

1. Why is your warranty only 6 months? shows lack of confidence in the product, can you make it at least a year (note BFL have lifetime warranty, meaning for as long as they sell the product + 1 year).

2. Someone has to raise this point. Alpha-t has acknowledged a million times that the pre-order money is mostly to fund you, so can we get an invoice for that part of the payment and then you send another invoice totally new? Frankly if you send the product with the invoice showing the full amount paid to you, the customs duty will be calculated accordingly. It does not make much difference to me personally either way but anyone think this is fair? The value on the invoice is not the value of the product. The product's value is less, it is the original amount minus whatever Alpha-t has spent on setting up shop as you keep saying. Do not make a false declaration as you will be banned, just make a correct statement that reflects the fact.

3. Will you be including the correct type of power cable to each country? I know in the UK people fit in the plug themselves, but if such things come through customs this way, the product will be declared non-conforming and withheld. Getting stuff out of customs can take something like 20 days, if you can be very careful about that you will help people avoid lots of trouble: correct invoice, declaration of conformity and correct type of plug.

5. Can you make the cover easily removable and include a fan? regardless of how good you think the thermal performance is, you will be testing it in a lab with AC. Some places have 50 degrees ambient. Would be nice to have an internal cut-off safety measure as well.

6. Can your engineers in India look at  "Gridseed" dot com and provide you with a technical comment you can pass on. Not sure why some people here are "afraid" of ASIC for scrypt while it is already out there and by the dozen per board.

7. Can you please give people the option if we want to use DHL. Please don't make decisions on the behalf of others in this regard. It may cost a bit extra but they deliver 10 times faster than anything and anyone else and you pay customs duty to Them (they get your stuff out much quicker and time is LTC).

Thanks.
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
5a) At this stage we do not require investors for funding, we already had enough funds to get this project started with our development partners, and the rest of the process via pre order funds.

Another argument.
Since pre-order clients helped to invest/fund, you may want to consider to provide full benefits/return to these clients:-)
Jump to: