Pages:
Author

Topic: And some more delays in BFL shipment plans / no shipment before 14th Jan 2013 - page 12. (Read 22705 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Shall I dig up the posts where I said the very same thing to BFL's COO and he suggested BFL could still ship in December of 2012? ...he also suggested, I was a stupid, idiotic liar, and a waste of human flesh, but that's not really relevant. Smiley

How about the email from a BFL CS rep posted to bitcointalk suggesting that BFL expects to ship late December or early January?

They're liars bud, they're not nearly ready to ship finished ASIC products and they know it.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I agree that they could do a better job with the updates, but this isn't news.  If a little common sense is applied it could have easily been assumed mid January.  I predicted this before any announcement made by BFL, and BFL quickly responded that mid January was a fair assessment. 

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/511-earliest-date-expect-delivery-january-25th.html

We need some partially refund for every pre-order, or free Jalapeno, or free(DHL express international) shipping($88 refund), for all these delays.

This would be a smart move - to do something to at least try to make things right.

...unless it bankrupts this tiny company, in which case it'd be better to either get a refund as early as possible or just sit tight and hope they get their ducks in a row eventually.
bce
Activity: 756
We need some partially refund for every pre-order, or free Jalapeno, or free(DHL express international) shipping($88 refund), for all these delays.

This would be a smart move - to do something to at least try to make things right.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Merry Christmas, everyone.  Kiss

The Jalapeno I ordered is a christmas gift for my son. He's going to have a very sad christmas this year.

The WiiU is out. Please save Christmas.
Activity: 481
Merit: 500

The Jalapeno I ordered is a christmas gift for my son. He's going to have a very sad christmas this year.
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/519-10-dec-2012-bfl-asic-update.html

I smell a very thick layer of decoration on the story. For example I cannot imagine such level of unprofessionalism involved in the communications here. The ASIC manufacturer is a billion dollar business and has its customers a healthy mix of other billion dollar industry behemoths which have managers handling their major projects that all would 100% totally flip out if their component supplier (non-)communicates to them as customers like that.

But to cut to the chase the bottom line I read here is that you do not have the mask set done and you don't have clear understanding of the process that needs gone through to get the maskset done.

The maskset is the one huge expenditure that the ASIC foundry would be hesitant to spend unnecessarily. After the maskset is done, there is no reason not to let the train run its full course until the endstation. The costs involved are relatively minor compared to the huge upside if you happen to find yet another fault which you must correct for the next iteration.

You have clearly designed the chip too aggressively breaking some design rules that have now caused some speedbumps on the road. Professionals should have understood the design rules that need to be followed so that the speedbumps are either avoided or taken with full intent of doing so. If they come as a surprise you have at least failed to ask the right questions earlier.
Well these things you learn and next project you can do better.

What is the number one reason, why most companies are really afraid going to full-custom? I mean full-full-custom and not just standard-cell which sometimes somebody is also calling full-custom but clearly you are not doing so.
Well the reason is that ASIC projects have huge risks involved and going full custom further increases the risks exponentially. No matter where and what the risks are when they are finally realized, they still come back to the underlying rootcause of taking on the exponential risks when deciding to go full-custom. In your case I don't quite understand what was the upside gained from full-custom other than it has so expensive ring to it so it could win some preorders with that ring.

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Activity: 910
Merit: 1002
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
You are referring to a past event, not a policy that extends into the future. "We always have." is strictly a past event. What about the future? Will every refund request be honored in the future?

So let me get this straight... you want me to ... wait for it ... predict the future.

For someone who won't "predict the future" regarding his own company's policy, you sure do love to predict the future of your competitors:

Quote from: BFL_Josh
That said, after reviewing the new information coming out of the bASIC camp and the Avalon camp, I'm pretty convinced we won't see a shipping product on their current timelines either

Congrats on yet another delay. Stop with the CYA and make the refund policy official and put it on the website. You owe it to your "customers".
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006
Quote from: BFL_Josh @ butterflylabs.com
After talking with our liaison tonight and still having not received a final confirmation date, we were as tired of this as everyone else is, so we continued to push for a date and they gave us 30 days from today.  That's my update.

Sad but true... Next year... maybe Sad

and that's when the chips arrive, not even assembled yet.

or tested.

i'm too lazy to dig my old posts.

but i'll just put these here for those preordered from BFL.

"fucking told you so"
and
"called it"

lol

as per inaba said, they are indeed has more experience and the industry leading expert in DELAYS.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Thanks for blowing my Christmas Carol rev 2.1 plot buddy!

To make it up to you, have at It's a Wonderful Life, but check your pockets first making sure Zuzu's petals are still there before preceding.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
After talking with our liaison tonight and still having not received a final confirmation date, we were as tired of this as everyone else is, so we continued to push for a date and they gave us 30 days from today.  That's my update.

or tested.
Thanks for blowing my Christmas Carol rev 2.1 plot buddy!
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
10 Dec 2012 BFL ASIC Update
After talking with our liaison tonight and still having not received a final confirmation date, we were as tired of this as everyone else is, so we continued to push for a date and they gave us 30 days from today. That's my update. It's an update I'm not happy about at this point and it may very well be that things will wrap up sooner than that. I am hoping I was just given a date that they would be sure to be ready by so we would get off their case. When pressed for a reason why, I have been told that because this is a very dense, hand routed design they are afraid of making a mistake and have required extra checking and sign offs which has slowed down the whole process considerably. They don't want to be on the hook financially for having to redo the whole order. It sounds reasonable to me and I have no reason to doubt this, but it doesn't make it any more palatable at the moment.

That said, after reviewing the new information coming out of the bASIC camp and the Avalon camp, I'm pretty convinced we won't see a shipping product on their current timelines either, or at least not a product that is at the specs they have given. Unless they have significant information they are not sharing in their released information so far, I suspect they are going to run into some of the same problems we have run into and have resolved, which has caused our delays. This does not excuse the fact that we are delayed again, by any means. I just want to point out that this process (developing ASICs) is not a trivial process and there are bound to be bumps in the road, which everyone, including us, are experiencing right now. Be that as it may, as usual we will gladly honor any refund requests on orders people have placed with BFL. If you wish to cancel your order and request a refund, please email [email protected] with your order number and customer service will be happy to accommodate you.

I apologize for this new delay and I am exceptionally displeased at the moment (to put it mildly). I am hoping for better news at some point in the near future, but I am not counting on it right now. I don't have any additional information at this time; I have pushed for as much information as I could get and this is what I received so far. I'm afraid of running into the soup ASIC nazi.

End of January then? Perhaps.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/519-10-dec-2012-bfl-asic-update.html
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

Activity: 547
Merit: 531
First bits: 12good

Pages:
Jump to: