Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] BitcoinStore.com (Beta) - Electronics super store with over 500K items! - page 9. (Read 75302 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
The website uses cached values for the exchange rate which are only periodically updated.

During checkout when you get to the BitPay payment screen it will have a live rate.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
I'm currently seeing a 17%+ excess cost due to BTC exchange rates.

Is this normal?
The price seems to be using around $20.5  instead of somewhere near $24

Sorry if this has been discussed - but where is the explanation for how & when the exchange rate is calculated?  Is it a 30 day average or something?

The site miscalculates the exchange rate.. you'll get the real price in BTC at checkout. It's a bug that they said they would fix..
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
I'm currently seeing a 17%+ excess cost due to BTC exchange rates.

Is this normal?
The price seems to be using around $20.5  instead of somewhere near $24

Sorry if this has been discussed - but where is the explanation for how & when the exchange rate is calculated?  Is it a 30 day average or something?
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
I would like to see on site Chromebooks + WorldWide shipping.Thx

World wide shipping has been available for several weeks now.
We actually had an interesting inquiry from a Bitcoiner in Iran who wanted to buy a hard drive yesterday.
I was having a hard time finding shipping rates though. Maybe you could point out that one has to put items in the cart first to even get a quote and that "Free shipping" only means free to the US (and over 50USD for a single HDD to Western Europe...).

Forcing me to browse first, add to cart etc. just to find out that the shipping is far too high for my taste is not a nice user experience. Maybe add a page where I can set my location and from then on show the cheapest shipping option for each item + the whole cart.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
Curious why is this thread still in the bitcoin discussion thread?

Shouldn't it be moved to the Marketplace? Or service discussion?

Because being able to buy 500k+ items with bitcoins is a very significant development for Bitcoin.

LOL right...so then every other development for bitcoin should be listed here. Your logic makes no sense. Where is the cut off for being a "significant" development as opposed to an insignificant one?

Even if the cutoff were ten times lower, BitcoinStore would still be the only one here.
vip
Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

World wide shipping has been available for several weeks now.
We actually had an interesting inquiry from a Bitcoiner in Iran who wanted to buy a hard drive yesterday.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Oh, and an I-dare-you-to-add-this product, that I think might have a niche bitcoin market:  solar panels.

Promise to buy at least one Smiley

I'm glad to say that someone has answered your wish!

http://www.gogreensolar.com/

Bitcoin for Solar panels!

I think I misread this - are you going to be selling these on your site? 

Or does the company plan to accept bitcoin directly?

They've started press releases covering them "accepting bitcoin" and I wasn't sure if it was through bitcoinstore.com or if it should be setup on their site...
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

Because being able to buy 500k+ items with bitcoins is a very significant development for Bitcoin.

LOL right...so then every other development for bitcoin should be listed here. Your logic makes no sense. Where is the cut off for being a "significant" development as opposed to an insignificant one?
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226
Away on an extended break
Even better if the Nexus tablets/phones were available. Please?  Grin
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
A simple technical solution to how to update the price would be for instance to have a cron job running every n minute. For instance, every 3rd minute. Then writing this value to a database or a file. Database would probably be best.

Then, when script executes server side, fetch this number from the database and display it in the web store.
* mrb puts optimization hat on head

Personally I would just store the exchange rate in a js/json file, and have the browser calculate the Bitcoin price on the client side with javascript code multiplying the exchange rate with whatever USD price is in the html page.

That opens up the possibility to update the Bitcoin prices in the page almost in real time with zero load on the web server.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
"case sony prs-t2 light navitech". Almost 3k results were returned.

Maybe the search catches all words, so you get everything that match 'case' and 'ligth' too, so that should be plenty of hits.

Perhaps an advanced search function would be an idea, where you could search for an entire phrase or only in certain catagories  etc.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
Just a tip: you should try to improve the search function.

I noticed you had these slightly cheaper than in Amazon. So I wondered whether you also had a low-cost version of it.

I typed "case sony prs-t2 light navitech". Almost 3k results were returned. Obviously, most of them were not really related. The official cover for Sony was among the first results though, so I suppose the low-cost cases just aren't available, otherwise they'd be among the first results... am I right? (I confess I didn't browse through the 3k results)

Anyways, thank you for this great site. It's awesome to see lower-than-amazon prices, and realize they can only be thanks to Bitcoin (and, of course, the great hard work of the people behind BitcoinStore).
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
BitcoinStore review update:

• My order was filled, shipped, and arrived today
  • One item, Victorinox mini-knife, was backordered.
  • I was notified within 24 hours of the backordered item, via zendesk support interface.  They offered to refund, or let me wait for the item.  Opted to wait for the item (while the remainder of the order shipped immediately).
  • The rest of the items arrived in a single box, marked "MemoryDealers", via FedEx Ground to my North Carolina/USA location.
  • Everything packaged well, and functioned as expected.  Purchased two LED mini-flashlights, a clock, a knife and a set of Wine Enthusiast beer glasses.
  • Accurate packing list was enclosed with package
  • Notified via both email and zendesk support personnel of USPS/FedEx tracking numbers.
vip
I think the btc price on site, should be the same on checkout.

I agree,  and soon it will be.  (Or very very close depending on the market depth)
Activity: 312
Merit: 250
On topic 3,

I mean bitcoin price. (not dollar).
I think the btc price on site, should be the same on checkout.
vip
1- The bitcoin prices I see on bitcoinstore is exactly the price I'll pay? Hope yes.
All prices are in USD in the database and are updated to the equivalent BTC price every 5 minutes based on the feed from Bitpay.com

2- I would like to see on Bitcoinstore the usd value of 1 bitcoin. (the value used by bitcoinstore)
Great idea!  This will be implemented soon.

3- I would like to see on site, something like: (the bitcoinstore prices will be refreshed in 5 minutes)
The USD prices don't change. The final BTC price is calculated at the moment of checkout.
I will give some thought on the best way to make this clear on the site.
Pages:
Jump to: