Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] FedoraCoin (TiPS); New style, new services, same unique features - page 63. (Read 181052 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Mummy! I've got a domain name now! fargusson.eth
why you guys make a new thread about tips? it's looks more beautiful, but why not just edit the old thread?  Shocked

That's a good question.

We've chosen that when we launched the new, restylized and rebranded FedoraCoin in order to make all the present and future announcement thread with an account that belong to the community, and not to the lead developper or whatever.

For that, if for any reason any of us have to leave TiPS (which won't happen without its load of tears and blood Wink ), the remainers can easily take over the announcement thread and edit it if needed.

Hope it answered your question
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
<3 big picture
Here's the Fedora coin mixing thread following its release.. from Feb 17th no less!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-world-first-tips-built-in-coin-mixinganonymity-service-just-launched-471660

(posting it partly so I can find it easily tomorrow, and because it should be in this thread for people to read Smiley ).
<3 big picture
I heard you when you say that we made too much marketing. IMHO we make marketing because in the team, hercules1600 already made his great e-shop http://worldof.tips ! We are by now in need for new talents or more likely existing merchants to adopt FedoraCoin as a payment option. And to make them aware of our existence, well, needs marketing.

Glad to see a reply here, thanks!

I've bolded what I think is the crux of the matter, and where cryptocoins are largely failing.  Its great to see acknowledgement of that by one of the community managers for this coin!

Global b2c e-commerce (i.e. retail) is expected to hit $1.5 trillion this year (one source) , so tapping into that market in any way has to be a good thing, especially in developing economies in Asia-Pacific where the standard payments clearing/credit market is less saturated than in the European/American markets.

Providing the tools to help merchants integrate TiPS with their e-commerce sites would be a huge step, and something which,coupled with appropriate marketing, could see actual adoption of TiPS as a currency.  Even a couple of merchants with tiny turnover could make a real difference.. a single $100 purchase of fedora tips to pay for goods would be noticeable on cryptsy.  Finding out which e-commerce platforms are cheapest/easiest to target for extensions would be a good first step - I listed three good ones in my above post.

The concern I have about marketing is that general awareness in itself is not necessarily a positive thing.  One of the projects listed on myfedora.tips is "Advertise on Reddit", and the questions I find myself asking is "advertise what features? to which target customer segment?".  The content on the fedoraco.in is similarly lacking in positioning.

My impression is Fedora TiPS is being positioned not as a currency, but as a goodwill tipping tool used for forums/fun, which undermines any message of being taken seriously as a currency.  If Fedora TiPS gets a reputation as "funny forum tipping currency" it will be harder to convince that same audience to take it seriously and buy actual goods/services with it.

There is a nod to "mining" and "trading" as activities, but those don't create value or interest.. plenty of other coins are dying with those abilities.  The ones which are succeeding are the ones which have found a niche customer segment and are positioning themselves at it.. the current fashionable ones being "anonymous payments", "decentralised marketplace", and "secure contracts".  Pretty much every other coin is riding a wave of investors who don't know what they're looking for, and traders who're fleecing those investors for as much money as they can, i.e. an unsustainable market.

As an aside - you guys should be shouting from every available platform that coinjoin is already live with Fedoracoin - the latest news of delays from Darkcoin is an opportunity to gain mindshare in the anonymous space, which is a subset of the potential "serious commerce" userbase.

Anyway, enough about my thoughts, I'm just a bloke with a B Comp.Sci and an MBA who has opinions on stuff I read and think about in my spare time.  I tip my hat [sic] to those of you who're actually spending time building community and managing projects, and I've been willing to make a small acquisition (20m) of TiPS as a long-term bet.  I think this coin has a reasonable feature-set to meet the needs of actual global general commerce, more than any other large-numbered coin I've seen.

If I see more concrete positioning statements and plans, I'll buy a lot more, lock it up, and shout about the coin and its future!

And now I need to go investigate the old Fedora threads about coinjoin and figure out what's required to test it, whether there are any active nodes, and what it takes to set up a node.  From reading between the lines, the source code isn't available?

Thanks for your attention and time!

Orinoco Womble.

Hi orinoco.

Thanks for your post, really. I just quoted that only line because I think you pointed out the most important thing here.

It seems that cryptocoins as a segment are currently failing at being actual currencies.  Everyone's trying to think 10 steps down the line to replacing fiat currencies and exchange mechanisms, and ignoring the obvious step of working alongside them using existing infrastructure.

At TiPS we also try to think that way. That's why we didn't focus on bringing new fancy features lately, but on giving TiPS some visibility around there on the Internet, coming along with a fairly great tool, w/Fedoracoin, that can be used to easily implement a FedoraCoin payment Gateway in almost any website (if it is what you meant by "plugins").
We also focused on the cross-platform side of TiPS with Android, Windows, Mac and Linux wallets.

That's why I think we have all the tools to move on.

Sure merchant directory and ATM localization will be the next step, whenever we will have set some foot outside the Internet. By now we are trying to catch some new eyes in order to, eventually, make some new merchants accept FedoraCoin.

I heard you when you say that we made too much marketing. IMHO we make marketing because in the team, hercules1600 already made his great e-shop http://worldof.tips ! We are by now in need for new talents or more likely existing merchants to adopt FedoraCoin as a payment option. And to make them aware of our existence, well, needs marketing.
<3 big picture
I posted this on another coin I follow, but I think it also applies here, possibly more-so given we have the coin-mixing already implemented.

First.. a question

What are the long-term strategic plans to increase adoption of TiPS and its use as a currency?

I had a look at the first post in this thread, and a quick scan of the reddit and FB pages, and am none the wiser.

Ok, so that was a loaded question.  I like TiPS - for a few reasons.

1.  Lots of coins = enough for actual use as public adoption of cryptocoins grows
2.  Age of the coin - time and declining value is a really good fix for distribution, and more holders means less chance of a HUGE dump killing the value for users (spenders/merchants)
3.  POW-based  (POS has some inherent long-term issues)
4.  Active community
5.  Coin mixing (if its still working?  I should investigate this more - might be willing to be a node too)

So this next bit I posted for another coin I follow, but after thinking about it this morning, I decided that it applies equally well, if not better, to Fedora TiPS.

IMO what we need for TiPS to succeed as a currency is:

1.  Commercial purpose (utility = value)
2.  Marketing

Marketing is the easy part.  The tricky part is commercial purpose and making a currency which works i.e. which can be used to obtain goods/services or as an exchange of value.  We need things like:

commerce tools for merchants
  • Plugins for supporting ECC on various ecommerce carts (Woo-commerce, Magento and Opencart)
    • Check-out payment with ECC
    • Pricing in ECC (i.e. treat similar to Forex - price based on exchange rate)
  • Merchant wallet integration for said carts (transaction lists, balances, outstanding invoices etc.)
    • 3rd party hosted wallet service integration (so merchants don't need to run their own wallet server/dameon/blockchain host)
    • Direct wallet/daemon wallet (for merchants who want control, have the space, and can set it up and run it themselves, and be a node)

Improved tools for users
  • mobile wallets for android, iphone
  • merchant directory of supporting vendors (geolocation, search, etc.)
  • crypto-ATM support
  • p2p marketplace

Sure, all the things like decentralised marketplaces, online contracts and asset-exchanges are sexy, but this is an emerging market, and the fact is 99.9999% of online and physical commerce happens via existing retail channels, and its a market which is being largely ignored by the crypto market in the face of fads and fashion, and ideology.

It seems that cryptocoins as a segment are currently failing at being actual currencies.  Everyone's trying to think 10 steps down the line to replacing fiat currencies and exchange mechanisms, and ignoring the obvious step of working alongside them using existing infrastructure.

I think a strong focus on leveraging those existing channels, even if we only achieve a tiny percentage of merchants, will show vastly more growth and increased awareness among the general public than any decentralised asset exchange.  

The crypto community is small, really small.

The whole market cap of Bitcoin is less than the value of some app-store apps.  What we should be trying to do is increase the size/appeal of the crypto market, not fight for a share of it.  The old venture-capitalist adage about a smaller piece of a bigger pie applies here.  It doesn't take many merchants selling $5 items to create significant buying power.  $5 is around 7m TiPS.

Just transmitting a post made on the old thread a few hours ago that should interest everyone:

█ ★Fedoracoin (TIPS) → Now Live on: http://www.cryptocoinrank.com/Fedoracoin

P.s: Have you voted for TiPS on CoinWarz today ?
Activity: 278
why you guys make a new thread about tips? it's looks more beautiful, but why not just edit the old thread?  Shocked
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
good, looking forward to see that up. I don't use facebook any onger, it's a crappy social for kids and idiots, but it's the most used. Why doesn't someone try to build a specific app for other social? fedora could be the best coin to be used around: it's still cheap (dogecoin is not) and at this stage with fair distribution and no manipulation on the protocol could deliver some results. take advantage over reddcoin which is failing miserably after the pos transformation and the stupid velocity thing they introduced. just my two cents
Activity: 257
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
facebook approved dogecoin tipping app, time to lauch a fedoracoin tipping app too?
Activity: 118
Merit: 100
Maybe spam is the wrong word. But I get the impression that the repetitive posting is to fill space rather than inform.
Activity: 196
Thanks Fargusson for already posting the link here!

Guys, please go and read the reddit post about creating a forum dedicated for FedoraCoin, the idea is to have a dedicated space with much more structure than we have here or on reddit, so you can create your own subjects and projects and we as a community would be able to collaborate in parallel manner on whatever we might want to do with FedoraCoin (new business ideas, marketing strategies, creating videos etc). This would make it so much easier to innovate and collaborate than the current wall posts we have, what we have here on bctalk is good for following news and general talk, but having the forum in addition would allow us to have focus on specific topics and projects, to filter out the noise and focus on whatever is of special interest to each member.

If this reddit post gets 25 score points then icanprogram agreed to help make it happen! So if you like the idea please vote it up here: We need a FedoraCoin forum urgently!

Great ideah, id10tothe9. As I already posted on reddit, I totally agree that a dedicated forum is really important, for the same reasons you listed already. A good organization is key to success, and this is intrinsically offered by a dedicated forum, where you can arrange development ideas and topics, so that they can easily be found and stored.
Essentially a 10 way tie currently!!!
Go vote please.

EDIT: now stacking 6th position. Let's push hard on these guys. Coinwarz is a very frequented site that will net us further eyeballs and interest.

http://www.coinwarz.com/voting

Vote for your coin... Smiley

Indeed.

I personnaly chose my first coin to mine looking at CoinWarz
Activity: 126
great coin,i just vote your coin! Cheesy
Essentially a 10 way tie currently!!!
Go vote please.

EDIT: now stacking 6th position. Let's push hard on these guys. Coinwarz is a very frequented site that will net us further eyeballs and interest.

http://www.coinwarz.com/voting

Vote for your coin... Smiley
The DEV recently had mentioned he is trying to reverse engineer the anonymous mixing service code so as to update it. Has anyone heard how that is coming along? Haven't been over on reddit reading much. 

is mixer node offline?
I just tried to transfer some TIPS using mixer and failed.

Hi penambang.

I don't know for sure if there is any node currently online but I will assume that there is.

The matter with the Coin Join method is that you need to have multiple transactions barely at the same time in order for the coin mixer to... well mix coins togeether. As Fedoracoiners are not using that much the "Anonymize coins" option, you may have try it when no one else was also using it. The coin mixer should have waited for a bit, and then denied your transaction because he didn't see others coming.

Hope this helped you.

Front page baby!!!

FedoraCoin is on the Alt-Ernative book!  Isn't that cover great ? A bit red maybe... Wink

You can support by donating to author EbjEBNmAX551trBgP9vJeEj9msohjcuvKd. You will find the official thread here.
FedoraCoin is on the Alt-Ernative book!  Isn't that cover great ? A bit red maybe... Wink

You can support by donating to author EbjEBNmAX551trBgP9vJeEj9msohjcuvKd. You will find the official thread here.
Pages:
Jump to: