Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] labcoin ASIC - v.1 @130nm/300Mhz -16 cores chip - European / Chinese Team - page 8. (Read 33598 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Do both. Private IPO and accept pre-orders, offering escrow until a prototype is available.
This! I want to minimize risk as possible so more options is always the best
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Labcoin.com
From a technical perspective we do not have any updates at the moment. The Chinese team is running more verifications on the 65nm/ 500Mhz/ 2~2.5WxGH design, all these computations take hours or standard workstations.
Labcoin.com
That sounds great. As start as you get things together and find out more detailed information please let us know. When do you think you will be able to present us with a plan?

We should get a reply from TSMC within 12 hours, otherwise we will contact them by phone, or worst case our Chinese team leader will reach out to their sales offices in Shenzhen. 
A plan is expected to be sorted out within 24 hours, but it will still need some refinements probably.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
That sounds great. As start as you get things together and find out more detailed information please let us know. When do you think you will be able to present us with a plan?
Labcoin.com
I think the main concern is deploying a massive amount of hashing power as fast as possible. The question now is how much money does Labcoin need in order to fund the order of 100,000 chips?

We will get exact numbers directly from TSMC Shenzhen office, hopefully tomorrow or the day after. This is an important question definitely.

Also if an IPO was to happen how much % of the shares would Labcoin's management keep vs the % of shares to be sold? How much has Labcoin invested until now? I think a good place to start would be to put value to the operation and disclose how much capital has been invested by you and your team. I hope to hear back from you in detail.

We will disclose those figures in detail as soon as we get all the costs of the operation panned out.

well, first you should fully verify yourselves.. credentials of some sort, names etc to build TRUST.
then you figure out how much money you need for optimal funding, risk.
then you figure the rest out

We are still waiting for a final quotation from the fab, in order to evaluate the real possibility of going for an IPO.
Every other logical step will follow. By the way, you will find our certificate of incorporation somewhere in this thread if you want to take a peak at it.
Risk, definitely is also a factor to consider in the equation, and we're not ignoring it.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
well, first you should fully verify yourselves.. credentials of some sort, names etc to build TRUST.
then you figure out how much money you need for optimal funding, risk.
then you figure the rest out
I think the main concern is deploying a massive amount of hashing power as fast as possible. The question now is how much money does Labcoin need in order to fund the order of 100,000 chips?

We will get exact numbers directly from TSMC Shenzhen office, hopefully tomorrow or the day after. This is an important question definitely.

Also if an IPO was to happen how much % of the shares would Labcoin's management keep vs the % of shares to be sold? How much has Labcoin invested until now? I think a good place to start would be to put value to the operation and disclose how much capital has been invested by you and your team. I hope to hear back from you in detail.
Activity: 406

The chip fabrication itself is not expensive, maybe the more you fabricate the cheaper they will give you.
Labcoin.com

I think the main concern is deploying a massive amount of hashing power as fast as possible. The question now is how much money does Labcoin need in order to fund the order of 100,000 chips? How about going bigger and ordering more chips? In order to compete with competition now and future competition how much of the network would Labcoin want to capture once the hardware is deployed. Please share your thoughts and the direction you want to take. More hardware sales or more mining? Or a balance of both? I think you need to set up some kind of foundation and we can build on top of that. Hope this helps. Thanks.
Labcoin.com

Curious how you get 500mh/s per chip? are you using liquid cool? What was the watts consumption per chip?

To reply to your technical questions :

Just some optimizations on the HDL by our engineers, no cooling as there's no actual chip yet. Only simulations and post-simulation verifications that were successful with a 500mhz clock.
Power estimations are about 2~2.5W per GH but they will definitely be optimized.

Labcoin.com
Good move " As for now we will go ahead with our plan and  the 8/22 July tape-out. Everything is almost ready for going to final  tape-out."

That is the best thing you should do. IPO and what not can come later. .to my understanding IPO, can be shares or shares base on per gh/s. You may not want to sell out all the IPO because you still need to have majority control. But some guys in AM group may know better.

Curious how you get 500mh/s per chip? are you using liquid cool? What was the watts consumption per chip?

Yes, but we haven't taken yet a final decision, regarding if that initial batch of ICs will be used for producing USB miners and those put up for sale, or  use the IC for private deployment.
We are still trying to figure out costs and price for eventual sale for having a better idea, but the best probable strategy as some of you suggested is selling the devices with escrowed pre-order and do an IPO. We are not very inclined familiar with an IPO model, as this wasn't our initial plan, but we'll start running numbers.
Indeed we think that the only way to gain some kind of  hedge on the competitors now, is going big, possibly for a 100.000 ICs order.
From the initial feedbacks from the community, it looks like there's interest to share the risk and thus, the profits of this eventual move.
We look forward for further discussion, time constraints are strict, so we would like to pan out a definitive strategy as soon as possible.

Labcoin Team

EDIT : Typos and phrasing
Activity: 406
Good move " As for now we will go ahead with our plan and  the 8/22 July tape-out. Everything is almost ready for going to final  tape-out."

That is the best thing you should do. IPO and what not can come later. .to my understanding IPO, can be shares or shares base on per gh/s. You may not want to sell out all the IPO because you still need to have majority control. But some guys in AM group may know better.

Labcoin.com
Ok guys, thanks for the feedbacks.

Here is today's latest update from the Chinese team :

the IC version @ 65nm succeded post-simulation at 500 Mhz instead of 400 Mhz with some more optimizations, and still room for further overclocking.

Do both. Private IPO and accept pre-orders, offering escrow until a prototype is available.

Not a bad idea actually. If they can work parallel and churn out the 10k order as USB miners for instant ROI while using IPO funds to support Gen 2 development that may very well be the best solution. It would also enable dividends to share holders from Gen 1 as capital raised is used for Gen 2 dev.

+1 for this plan!

I am also very interested in a fairly significant portion of a private IPO (100-500 BTC)

+1 for investors to fund both projects.

We find this is the best option for our interests and those of the eventual shareholders. This way we would have a product relatively fast on the market and fund the 100k chip order, which will yield about 50 TH, even considering deployment costs, and various factors, we think it woud still be worth the investment.

The gen 2 chip you are referring to is the one the Chinese team is working on, or are you referring to the European team work ?

Advices are appreciated about the private IPO as well, how do you think this should work ?

We don't have experience with IPOs but have some financial background as well.

As for now we will go ahead with our plan and  the 8/22 July tape-out. Everything is almost ready for going to final  tape-out.

Not a bad idea actually. If they can work parallel and churn out the 10k order as USB miners for instant ROI while using IPO funds to support Gen 2 development that may very well be the best solution. It would also enable dividends to share holders from Gen 1 as capital raised is used for Gen 2 dev.

+1 for this plan!

I am also very interested in a fairly significant portion of a private IPO (100-500 BTC)

+1 for investors to fund both projects.
Activity: 224

+1 for this plan!

Activity: 378
again

someone has a link abt the asicminer deployment?

thanks
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
Activity: 224
I also think we all need to take the ASICMINER deployment schedule and speed with a grain of salt. They still haven't hit their rollouts so far (thou close) and it always takes longer then expected to get to "market" with hash rate they expected.

There is also the already announced security and infrastructure risks of rolling out hash rate in China that Yifu has already explained in their Bitcoin expo video.
Pages:
Jump to: