Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace - page 41. (Read 125864 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
I added the instructions quickly - sorry  but this time I can't create much better presentation. I am currently at the assembly summer event, and have lots of bitcoin promotion to do. Also I'm not the frontend guy Cheesy

But I hope on monday you will see some real progress.
Also, where does my profile with this info ever show for the potential trade counterparty then?

Check out your public profile, for example my public profile: https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/kangasbros/
Sorry about the bug in bitcoin-otc verification, it should work now Smiley

API will come, hopefully sooner than later. We are two guys working on this (and easywallet.org) full-time.

And Stephen, thanks again for the really valuable feedback. I will add the instructions to the site ASAP.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Also, where does my profile with this info ever show for the potential trade counterparty then?
legendary
Just yesterday we added a basic bitcoin-otc integration. If you enable bitcoin-otc integration to your profile, you will get your bitcoin-otc feedback listen in your public profile.

I was confused by the instructions.

Now that I completed it successfully I can no longer see the instructions that I was confused by, but following is how I think the instructions could have been presented:

-----------------
Field - Bitcoin otc nick:

If you already have a #bitcoin-otc Web of Trust (WoT) nickname, enter that.  If you haven't yet registered a Bitcoin return address, you then need to register one, using these instructions: http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/Bitcoin_address_authentication#Change_address

If you don't already have one, create one using these instructions: http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/Bitcoin_address_authentication

-----------------
Field - Bitcoin otc signature:

Use bitcoin client to sign the message in bold below.  Sign it using the bitcoin address you registered with the #bitcoin-otc Web of Trust (WoT).

legendary
Looking forward to the LocalBitcoins mobile app.

A few months ago was a StartupBus competition, and one of the contestants was Open Wallet app:

Here's their proof of concept video:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRlyPZ3zJ0

I have no idea what they were going to use to settle payment to the party acting as "ATM".  I wouldn't doubt they had no good solution ... and left it as "and magic happens here", after figuring out that PayPal wouldn't work for this.

If that was the hurdle these entrepreneurs couldn't solve, then had they considered using bitcoin as the settlement currency they might have been able to get funding, develop it and launch.

Well, ... will LocalBitcoins take it further?

Yes, an app would be great Smiley
(I would do it open source for 100BTC and actively maintain it under my Android dev. account but I can't do the iPhone part.)

A mobile version of this, at least for the map / navigation, needs to happen.

I see that functionality is available as guest / unauthenticated.   Could there be an API created so that an open source mobile app could be built for this?
During the initial sign-up process, the second page is the Edit your profile page which asks for "Sms number". 
\
Right now this is the only field on this form, but I could see things like maybe alternate reputation sources (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), when to contact me, etc. 

It wasn't apparent to me whether the SMS was a required field. (it isn't).   

Some sites follow the UI approach where there is a footnote with a red asterisk that describes fields with a red asterisk as being required.  But any method of indicating that this is not a required field would be helpful.

Thanks again for the valuable feedback! We will try to make this better.

Just yesterday we added a basic bitcoin-otc integration. If you enable bitcoin-otc integration to your profile, you will get your bitcoin-otc feedback listen in your public profile.

More features will follow.

http://localbitcoins.blogspot.de/2012/08/now-you-can-connect-your-bitcoin-otc.html
legendary
During the initial sign-up process, the second page is the Edit your profile page which asks for "Sms number".  

Right now this is the only field on this form, but I could see things like maybe alternate reputation sources (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), when to contact me, etc.  

It wasn't apparent to me whether the SMS was a required field. (it isn't).  

Some sites follow the UI approach where there is a footnote with a red asterisk that describes fields with a red asterisk as being required.  But any method of indicating that this is not a required field would be helpful.
Can you add an option to give the seller the possibility to set with one is going to pay for the escrow service?
Also sometime the seller can give the possibilities to use or not the escrow, so the buyer can see both prices by switching on/off escrow service.
It will be good to see on the list which sellers/buyers ask/offer escrow service, and the difference between the 2 prices. ( or if they are egual )

We will think about this. However currently as I see it, there are 2 groups of people visiting localbitcoins - advertisers and contacter. The advertisers (= market makers) usually buy/sell bitcoins with 5-15% premium. The contacters just want some bitcoins fast, and are willing to pay the higher than market rate.

We will try to make the process for contacters as easy, straightforward and simple as possible, because they are obviously paying for the service. This kind of addition would make the process more complicated, in my opinion. The advertisers can include the escrow fee in their pricing.

Btw, earlier you asked how to test the escrow. You can just test it with some very minimal sum, for 1 eur. Note that the escrow service works also without the SMS, you can use it with internet only as well. So if for some reason the SMS is not working, you can just walk to nearest internet cafe and check it that way. We will probably add some SMS testing service in the future.

(I think the SMS service should function well at least in 99% of cases, since we use two backends - if one fails, it will try to use the other.)
Can non-registered users get rating/feedback?

What happened to the BTC price ticker (24h)?

Currently you must register if you want to use any functionality on the site - old advertisement will stay there, but to actually reply to your contacts eg. you have to merge your ad to the account-based system.

We have this philosophy "release early, release often". We will probably implement some kind of "one-click" accounts or dummy accounts, so that random visitors can contact advertisers by just filling one form. We also understand the privacy needs of our users, and will try to improve that side as well (eg. non-needed data automatically deleted).
staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
Can you add an option to give the seller the possibility to set with one is going to pay for the escrow service?
Also sometime the seller can give the possibilities to use or not the escrow, so the buyer can see both prices by switching on/off escrow service.
It will be good to see on the list which sellers/buyers ask/offer escrow service, and the difference between the 2 prices. ( or if they are egual )
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
Can non-registered users get rating/feedback?

What happened to the BTC price ticker (24h)?
staff
Registering is needed to use the escrow service I suppose. ( even if it's not required to be used )
Anyway, it doesn't ask any personal information.

I was going to make an italian guide on my website about your service, but I'm waiting to know if you will make the escrow usable for other things and/or not public.

legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
I see that it is possible to place an ad with or without registering. What is the advantage of registering? Are there any "premium" features?
staff
I think that people sometimes prefer to sell things face to face instead of sending them by mail.
Your service is good because it's possible use it without internet connection.
Ok, do you confirm that your sms service works also outside us/canada? ( example: european countries, there isn't any way to test it by now )
I think that you should open your escrow service also outside of public offers.

We have tested the SMS service in Germany, Finland, and it should obviously work in US and Canada since it is twilio. We have also additional sms provider in addition to twilio, in case twilio fails.

We could offer the escrow service elsewhere, I just can't figure scenarios where it could be useful Smiley What kind of applications would you use it for?
staff
Ok, do you confirm that your sms service works also outside us/canada? ( example: european countries, there isn't any way to test it by now )
I think that you should open your escrow service also outside of public offers.
I tried to buy bitcoins from my own offer, while I was logged.
I was trying to better understand how everything was working.
Now, how can I cancel/delete the request?

Currently you can't cancel requests until there is an escrow - it works like a message board that way. I'll add cancellation feature to normal requests as well soon.
staff
I tried to buy bitcoins from my own offer, while I was logged.
I was trying to better understand how everything was working.
Now, how can I cancel/delete the request?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
On a side note. Any Canadians in here looking to buy BTC with CAD notes or loons?

https://localbitcoins.com/ad/454/buy-bitcoins-with-cash-77365-porter-united-states
Pages:
Jump to: