Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 290. (Read 1369778 times)

Activity: 453
Merit: 250
As soon as the Android wallet is available, we will organize a big giveaway! Everyone posting a screenshot of their phone along with their address on Twitter, FB or Reddit will receive coins!

Excellent idea!
Activity: 453
Android wallet update 7:

Yup! There are some remaining issues and rough edges to fix before a release, but the first native POS wallet is now working on an android phone, receiving and sending transactions.

Blockchain:
http://mint.blockx.info/get/address/MkgjPqmUqsYYpy8jS32fxLzSerryFSH3Ta

Android wallet update 6:

Good news!

The following is the first transaction ever received and forwarded by mintcoinj Cheesy

http://mint.blockx.info/get/tx/68fec0ad06a76d1d37de929e14b6ad6d17352b715de4f5bcce648333e9bc4a9c

Persistence pays off! Well done and thanks for the communication.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007
Quote from: dille71
But as i said i have some ideas how to simplify it..

Can you share some more details and how you plan to simplify it? I think that it actually being over complicated a bit and coin age isn't relevant when you're dealing with exchanges anyways because they're constantly moving the coins back and forth between their own wallet and therefore there's no real way to see how much each person has earned regardless

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
This is not about an exchange and moving coins within one wallet.  So, yes it can be very simple i guess i miss read your first post.
One have to require people to not move their coins in a certain time period that is a couple of days more then minimum coin age to ensure they stake. Maybe 30 days. If they move them before no interrest is payed.

Yeah, the problem is exchanges don't keep coins in the same addresses you deposit them into. ie.

I make a deposit of 100k MINT right now. That's put in Address A.
Later on, when the hotwallet hits 500k (due to 4 other depositors), 350k coins are going to be moved to the exchange's cold wallet, Address F (including coins of mine, B, C, D and E)

From time to time the hot wallet will need replenished. This means coins are moving back from F to another address for sending out.

When we make the deposits is irrelevant because the exchange is going to be shifting things back and forth between hot/cold wallets and addresses for paying out.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
This is an awesome update!

How difficult would it be to create a QR scanner app in the design of Mintcoin?
Would be another cross promo avenue... if possible.
What do you mean? Wallet currently has a built-in QR scanner (provided by another application I suppose), and it doesn't have any branding on it -- just a full screen camera view.

Yes but the wallet QR is only for the wallet right?

Creating a MintCoin QR branded app that can be used for general QR purpose would be another item that promotes (reminds people) Mintcoin.

Recreating a Mintcoin brand on like currently highly used apps in general would do the same. Creating functionality out of the mintcoin brand outside of the currently small Altcoin adapted community of which Mintcoin is again just a part of. Spreading the brand and expanding the reach...

Just a thought.
Activity: 210

Can you share some more details and how you plan to simplify it? I think that it actually being over complicated a bit and coin age isn't relevant when you're dealing with exchanges anyways because they're constantly moving the coins back and forth between their own wallet and therefore there's no real way to see how much each person has earned regardless

This is not about an exchange and moving coins within one wallet.  So, yes it can be very simple i guess i miss read your first post.
One have to require people to not move their coins in a certain time period that is a couple of days more then minimum coin age to ensure they stake. Maybe 30 days. If they move them before no interrest is payed.
legendary

Quote from: Jeff Jefferson on May 27, 2014, 11:18:32 AM

hey guys, what about a MINTCOIN ONLINE BANK?

a simple site where you can login with an email and a password (possible anonymously using Tor). There you have your own Mintcoin account where you can send money to or withdraw money.

behind all this is a person/dev/institution/fund with a huge wallet running 24/7. they can charge you a bit for running the Bank but you will still get your annual interest.

advantages:

- simple for average users
- don't worry about your wallet not minting, wrong wallet, slow wallet or energy costs
- accessable via any PC, smartphone, tablet (also the apple products)
- anonymous

disadvantages:

- you have to trust the organisation/people running the bank
- network security (i still think a lot of people would run their own wallets)

I hope some people are interested in discussing this suggestion. I would give a LOT of my Mints as a bounty if this is really developed. I think it's even better than the android wallet.

Cheers

I think its a great idea! I have been thinking about this myself for some time now since i read that many people have their mints on exchanges because they dont want to install a wallet.
The problem i see is how to keep track of whos coins have minted and how mutch but i do have some ideas how to simplify this.
I might build something just to try it out..

The minting is easy enough. Just pay out minted coins relative to the deposits. It's the wallet that mints, so this is both fair and simple.

Its based on coin age so one need to keep track on every coins age and staking is pretty random so it is alot to keep track on to know whos coins have staked what ammount if people withdraws/deposit every now and then.
legendary
Quote from: Jeff Jefferson on May 27, 2014, 11:18:32 AM

a simple site where you can login with an email and a password (possible anonymously using Tor). There you have your own Mintcoin account where you can send money to or withdraw money.

behind all this is a person/dev/institution/fund with a huge wallet running 24/7. they can charge you a bit for running the Bank but you will still get your annual interest.

advantages:

- don't worry about your wallet not minting, wrong wallet, slow wallet or energy costs
- anonymous

disadvantages:

I hope some people are interested in discussing this suggestion. I would give a LOT of my Mints as a bounty if this is really developed. I think it's even better than the android wallet.

Cheers

I think its a great idea! I have been thinking about this myself for some time now since i read that many people have their mints on exchanges because they dont want to install a wallet.
The problem i see is how to keep track of whos coins have minted and how mutch but i do have some ideas how to simplify this.

The minting is easy enough. Just pay out minted coins relative to the deposits. It's the wallet that mints, so this is both fair and simple.

advantages:

- anonymous

disadvantages:

Cheers
"...an active team edits the crap out of their ANN Thread on a regular basis so information is not outdated for those who are researching the coin. People who currently research Mintcoin as a possible investment are going to find tons of dead links and a dead website. What’s the chance they’ll want to push their BTC into Mintcoin in that condition?"

The website is back up, what's more you could flag any dead links in the OP rather than quote an old complaint made by someone else.

Looking forward to the Android Wallet!

none of the merchant sites I checked were broken links, this is just FUD

Then that article is spitting out FUD left and right... it said most of the links were 404 errors... hmmm.
I randomly clicked something like 20 links. None of the merchants was broken but some of the games and one multipool was.
Someone should go through all of them and remove the dead once.
Allso one other multipool should be added. Im on my cellphone right now and dont remember the url but its in here a couple of pages back.
Pretty good pool! Pays out really good!
Activity: 229
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
"...an active team edits the crap out of their ANN Thread on a regular basis so information is not outdated for those who are researching the coin. People who currently research Mintcoin as a possible investment are going to find tons of dead links and a dead website. What’s the chance they’ll want to push their BTC into Mintcoin in that condition?"

The website is back up, what's more you could flag any dead links in the OP rather than quote an old complaint made by someone else.

Then that article is spitting out FUD left and right... it said most of the links were 404 errors... hmmm.
Activity: 434
Merit: 511
While Mintcoin is still cheap, im gonna buy some this weekend.
Increase my holdings, and get some more interest this year.
And I see the mintcoin team has played it smart, holding the premine for some good actions for the coin.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
How is the MINT android app coming along? I would be interested in reading how it was implemented as a lightweight wallet due to the pos difficulties.
Activity: 307
Merit: 252
why aren't exchanges actually minting? is it included in the protocol?  Shocked

of course centralization will be gained by such a bank but i think there are still a lot of people who will still use their own wallets.

the idea is just a centralized web wallet. no lending or selling financial products. 15-20% interest rate annually is already more than any bank can offer.

Exchanges don't mint because it would create a fractional reserve. If everyone wanted to withdraw at once, they couldn't because coins would be reserved for the minting process. This would cause issues.
If you don't know what you are talking about don't reply.

Fractional Reserve banking is when a bank only has to have a fraction of the funds on hand that it is lending. Since an exchange doesn't lend money your claim is ridiculous.

However it is clear that most people aren't ready for cryptos. The point of it is to get away from banks etc, not recreate the mainstream financial system on a small scale.

I will suggest you read up on what it means on Wikipedia or some other resource. This is quite literally exactly what minting does:

I have 1500 coins. I am staking 1000 of them (lending them to the blockchain to be added into a new block). If someone wants to withdraw 1500 coins, they can't because I don't HAVE 1500; I only have 500. I have to wait until the rest are returned from the blockchain/minting process before they can be sent out again.
You are wrongly conflating a superficial resemblance between some details about various types of financial transactions and coming to a faulty conclusion.

POS staking is only temporary unavailability and if POS were anyway analogous to FRB you WOULD be able to withdraw those coins during minting, in effect creating money from nothing.

Instead the unavailability of staked funds is for a short duration only, the stake is returned to your wallet within minutes, AND since the stake cannot be "loaned" (withdrawn actually) during the staking process when the funds would be in "reserve" it is totally unlike fractional reserve banking which requires that loans exceeding the reserve be made.

the minting process is analogous to POW mining, funds received from minting are recompense for securing the blockchain and has absolutely nothing to do with lending practices such as fractional reserve banking.

how long are the coins actually staked? 5-10 minutes? that's not that bad.

actually i'm not talking about a bank in the sense of a financial institution. what i am suggesting is in fact an online wallet which makes it easier for people to start with mintcoins. i think such a thing is crucial for the mass adoption. the strongest argument for using mintcoins are the high interest rates. i think we should focus on that and make it as easy as possible for new investors.

also i think we shouldn't make things to difficult legally by including a fiat exchange. that's really complicated on many levels. i think a big wallet people put their mintcoins into is legally absolutely clean. just private persons putting their cryptos in a wallet. nothing more. AND it can be done anonymously which seems to be a BIG point right now.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Banned: For Your Protection

Oh boy! You can never have enough:
Activity: 364

Activity: 364
why aren't exchanges actually minting? is it included in the protocol?  Shocked

of course centralization will be gained by such a bank but i think there are still a lot of people who will still use their own wallets.

the idea is just a centralized web wallet. no lending or selling financial products. 15-20% interest rate annually is already more than any bank can offer.

Exchanges don't mint because it would create a fractional reserve. If everyone wanted to withdraw at once, they couldn't because coins would be reserved for the minting process. This would cause issues.
If you don't know what you are talking about don't reply.

Fractional Reserve banking is when a bank only has to have a fraction of the funds on hand that it is lending. Since an exchange doesn't lend money your claim is ridiculous.

However it is clear that most people aren't ready for cryptos. The point of it is to get away from banks etc, not recreate the mainstream financial system on a small scale.

I will suggest you read up on what it means on Wikipedia or some other resource. This is quite literally exactly what minting does:

I have 1500 coins. I am staking 1000 of them (lending them to the blockchain to be added into a new block). If someone wants to withdraw 1500 coins, they can't because I don't HAVE 1500; I only have 500. I have to wait until the rest are returned from the blockchain/minting process before they can be sent out again.
You are wrongly conflating a superficial resemblance between some details about various types of financial transactions and coming to a faulty conclusion.

POS staking is only temporary unavailability and if POS were anyway analogous to FRB you WOULD be able to withdraw those coins during minting, in effect creating money from nothing.

Instead the unavailability of staked funds is for a short duration only, the stake is returned to your wallet within minutes, AND since the stake cannot be "loaned" (withdrawn actually) during the staking process when the funds would be in "reserve" it is totally unlike fractional reserve banking which requires that loans exceeding the reserve be made.

the minting process is analogous to POW mining, funds received from minting are recompense for securing the blockchain and has absolutely nothing to do with lending practices such as fractional reserve banking.

Activity: 611
Merit: 500
Anglo Saxon Crypto Enthusiast

Jump to: