Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 55. (Read 1369777 times)

Activity: 750
Merit: 500
PLease update the OP  Grin Grin Mintcoin Welcome to Sweden!

Mintcoin is now traded in the Espers, LTC, Doge, Aricoin and Cryptojack base markets at
NovaExchange

Great news for mint after getting the boot elsewhere

Thank you for the addition!

I'm not personally familiar with NovaExchange, what are the criteria to see MINT paired up on the BTC market there?

Also, I noticed that the logo for MINT being used on the exchange is a very very old logo.

Our current logo:

Our upcoming logo:
Activity: 671
Merit: 1000
PLease update the OP  Grin Grin Mintcoin Welcome to Sweden!

Mintcoin is now traded in the Espers, LTC, Doge, Aricoin and Cryptojack base markets at
NovaExchange

Great news for mint after getting the boot elsewhere
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001
Poloniex are also removing other coins they claim are shitcoins...
Activity: 356
Merit: 250
I'Have just found a wallet with half a milion of this coins.
Is nice to know that they are still here 😁😁

Nice! What, did you forget you had it? depending on how long it's been You should sync up to the network and they will mint and generate more coin
Activity: 653
I'Have just found a wallet with half a milion of this coins.
Is nice to know that they are still here 😁😁
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
I never Loose , Either i WIN or I LEARN
lets try to keep the rumor mill to a minimum. I've already replied to that particular comment on reddit, and have monitored the polo trollbox very frequently over the past week. each and every time someone asks about any of the coin delistings, the mods reply with some "usual" reasons but state that they themselves don't have any particular details regarding any of the specifics.
Definitely yes Correctly You Are Right

Did Polo start making demands?

It's unconfirmed, but someone on reddit said the reason Poloniex gave for delisting MINT was lack of community and wallet support. But that's very vague and relatively unobjective. How do you define lack of community or lack of wallet support? Seems like BS.

lets try to keep the rumor mill to a minimum. I've already replied to that particular comment on reddit, and have monitored the polo trollbox very frequently over the past week. each and every time someone asks about any of the coin delistings, the mods reply with some "usual" reasons but state that they themselves don't have any particular details regarding any of the specifics.

Okay. You're right.

It's unconfirmed, but someone on reddit said the reason Poloniex gave for delisting MINT was lack of community and wallet support. But that's very vague and relatively unobjective. How do you define lack of community or lack of wallet support? Seems like BS.

Activity: 117
Well it looks like things got interesting around here lately with the Poloniex fiasco.
Do we have any idea going forward what exchange would be the best for us, that we can promote and recommend and allow them to be be our primary exchange? It looks like that Altex exchange is promising, but still seems to have some issues to work out for now. It is good for us if possible to have a plan or an idea after next week for continuing to promote exchange stability. I was thinking Cryptopia, but I haven't used them before; has anyone else, any experiences to share? We need an exchange that will be long-term solvent, and not delist MINT for no reason and have certain unreasonable demands.

Activity: 613
Mintcoin: Get some
Well it looks like things got interesting around here lately with the Poloniex fiasco.
Do we have any idea going forward what exchange would be the best for us, that we can promote and recommend and allow them to be be our primary exchange? It looks like that Altex exchange is promising, but still seems to have some issues to work out for now. It is good for us if possible to have a plan or an idea after next week for continuing to promote exchange stability. I was thinking Cryptopia, but I haven't used them before; has anyone else, any experiences to share? We need an exchange that will be long-term solvent, and not delist MINT for no reason and have certain unreasonable demands.
legendary
Activity: 1092
I offer the Snapshots , because the Bootstrap is just too slow with mintcoin.

What really needs to happen is simple and it removes needing either a snapshot or a bootstrap.

Mintcoin needs to start using header sync in the next versions.
Synchronizing the block chain by downloading block headers before downloading the full blocks.
Once BTC started it , they no longer needed bootstraps , as it made syncing from the network faster.  Wink

Cool

You're exactly right regarding HDF syncing (Headers First), which one of the things we have been working towards over the past year. Our test branch actually has it, but due to how HDF was designed to work in BTC, the implementation doesn't work properly when the blockchain has a mix of PoW and PoS blocks.

The closest anyone got with HDF syncing for a PoS coin was Pandacoin,
It still had some corruption issues , so most everyone used the original sync method as it was an option in the wallet.
(But the Pandacoin community Dev Old Team collapse soon after the release, so MaNI left and never fixed the corruption problem.)

I believe this was commit that added it.
https://github.com/pandacoin-official/pandacoin/commit/24c836a20a31c7747d63c13fa628b97dc40818c7

The programmer that did the work was MaNI
https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/mani-402883
He works with guldencoin now, but might have some insight to help.

Cool

What really needs to happen is simple and it removes needing either a snapshot or a bootstrap.

Synchronizing the block chain by downloading block headers before downloading the full blocks.
Once BTC started it , they no longer needed bootstraps , as it made syncing from the network faster.  Wink

Cool

You're exactly right regarding HDF syncing (Headers First), which one of the things we have been working towards over the past year. Our test branch actually has it, but due to how HDF was designed to work in BTC, the implementation doesn't work properly when the blockchain has a mix of PoW and PoS blocks.
legendary

Once BTC started it , they no longer needed bootstraps , as it made syncing from the network faster.  Wink

Cool
Its been a while since I have explained the reasons why the MINT team has chosen to not officially support the "Snapshot" method of getting clients synced up, so let me reiterate them again.

Bootstrapping
"Bootstrapping" is a method by which you provide a single-file copy of all blocks up to a certain point, and let the client run that file through it's verification and processing algorithms to rebuild a full local copy of the blockchain, all without requiring any network connectivity during the process. This is a 100% trustless method as if any of the verifications fail at any point along the chain, the client will simply discard the subsequent data and use the P2P network to continue on. Erroneous data never gets written to the datadir.

There are two accepted methods of creating a bootstrap data file: Simple and Linear.

Simple:
This is a file that contains each and every block (including orphans) in whatever order they were received by the creating client. Usual creation method is just renaming a file (or concating multiple files) from an existing datadir. Such files are often bloated and inefficient due to the unknown block ordering and orphan data they contain.

Linear:
This is a file that contains each and every valid block in linear sequential order. There is no orphan data or block re-organization included in this type of bootstrap file. Such files are an order of magnitude more efficient than simple bootstraps for large/fast chains.

Snapshotting
"Snapshotting" is a method by which you take the data directory from one client and use it with another. The target client does no "importing" or processing of the migrated data (other than a user-configurable 'last n blocks verification'). This method dictates that you put 100% trust in the data provider. Any erroneous data making it's way into the snapshot can (has) and will likely lead to a program crash or a network wide IP ban if that particular data set is required for any future verification.

The "Snapshotting" method carries the same orphan block data and chain re-organization data as the "simple" bootstrapping method above.

So, given the above explanations about what each alternative method of getting a client synced involves, lets look at the Pros/Cons.
Pros/Cons between methods
Bootstrapping
Pros
  • 100% trustless
  • Smaller initial file size download
  • No network connection needed
  • Fallback to P2P syncing if an error is encountered
  • No-Bloat when using linear bootstraps
Cons
  • Slow, each block needs to be verified by the client
  • May even be slower than P2P sync (depends on system/network specs)

Snapshotting
Pros
  • Fast initial startup time
Cons
  • Larger download size
  • 100% trust placed on provider
  • Erroneous data may lead to a crash at random times
  • Unnecessary bloat introduced by chain reorgs/orphans

In the end, it is completely up to the user to decide which method they would like to use, and the MINT team certainly appreciates the efforts of kiklo and other providers for their time and the service they provide. What we as a team mean by "unsupported" is literally that no support for troubleshooting or correcting data errors will be given in the event of using a method (any method) that is not trustless by nature. Kiklo's method of getting a new client up to sync will almost certainly work right now.

So why do we not offer support for users that choose to use a non-trustless method of getting their client synced? The primary reason is because the data distributed in a non-trustless way simply cannot be verified to be good in any way, shape, or form by the client or the network. It is by all accounts completely out of our hands, and as what happened a few months ago, the data provided was incorrect so there wasn't anything to be done aside from having users resync their local clients.

All that being said, we have released a new official bootstrap (Linear method) that includes all blocks up to #2870000 (8/24/2016). It is available automatically for those that are currently using the btsync program and also directly from the websites (www.mintcoinofficial.com and www.mintymintcoin.com)

BTSync Link: Here
Direct Download Link: Here

Thanks Fuzzbawls. Everyone, should do the bootstrap or normal sync if they can stand it to ensure network security.  As for the slowness, just keep in mind Mintcoin has over 2-million blocks to sync; more blocks than pretty much any other coin out there be because it's over 2 years old and has a very fast block speed. Mintcoins creates a new block on average under 30 seconds. Most of the slowness in syncing is verifying the correctness of every block. That's why it takes time if you let it go through the verification process (bootstrap or normal sync download). The snapshot removes the verification of the millions of blocks that's why it's faster. Syncing is not just a matter of downloading the blockchain it's a matter of checking out every block too. If you just opened your client it helps if you give it time to find connection too. You don't even really need a conf file. It can take like a half hour or so to get a lot of connections. Sometimes restarting the client can help too.
Activity: 117

"MINT team certainly appreciates the efforts of kiklo and other providers for their time and the service they provide. What we as a team mean by "unsupported" is literally that no support for troubleshooting" ...... "Kiklo's method of getting a new client up to sync will almost certainly work right now."

That's awesome thanks for the info!
Its been a while since I have explained the reasons why the MINT team has chosen to not officially support the "Snapshot" method of getting clients synced up, so let me reiterate them again.

Bootstrapping
"Bootstrapping" is a method by which you provide a single-file copy of all blocks up to a certain point, and let the client run that file through it's verification and processing algorithms to rebuild a full local copy of the blockchain, all without requiring any network connectivity during the process. This is a 100% trustless method as if any of the verifications fail at any point along the chain, the client will simply discard the subsequent data and use the P2P network to continue on. Erroneous data never gets written to the datadir.

There are two accepted methods of creating a bootstrap data file: Simple and Linear.

Simple:
This is a file that contains each and every block (including orphans) in whatever order they were received by the creating client. Usual creation method is just renaming a file (or concating multiple files) from an existing datadir. Such files are often bloated and inefficient due to the unknown block ordering and orphan data they contain.

Linear:
This is a file that contains each and every valid block in linear sequential order. There is no orphan data or block re-organization included in this type of bootstrap file. Such files are an order of magnitude more efficient than simple bootstraps for large/fast chains.

Snapshotting
"Snapshotting" is a method by which you take the data directory from one client and use it with another. The target client does no "importing" or processing of the migrated data (other than a user-configurable 'last n blocks verification'). This method dictates that you put 100% trust in the data provider. Any erroneous data making it's way into the snapshot can (has) and will likely lead to a program crash or a network wide IP ban if that particular data set is required for any future verification.

The "Snapshotting" method carries the same orphan block data and chain re-organization data as the "simple" bootstrapping method above.

So, given the above explanations about what each alternative method of getting a client synced involves, lets look at the Pros/Cons.
Pros/Cons between methods
Bootstrapping
Pros
  • 100% trustless
  • Smaller initial file size download
  • No network connection needed
  • Fallback to P2P syncing if an error is encountered
  • No-Bloat when using linear bootstraps
Cons
  • Slow, each block needs to be verified by the client
  • May even be slower than P2P sync (depends on system/network specs)

Snapshotting
Pros
  • Fast initial startup time
Cons
  • Larger download size
  • 100% trust placed on provider
  • Erroneous data may lead to a crash at random times
  • Unnecessary bloat introduced by chain reorgs/orphans

In the end, it is completely up to the user to decide which method they would like to use, and the MINT team certainly appreciates the efforts of kiklo and other providers for their time and the service they provide. What we as a team mean by "unsupported" is literally that no support for troubleshooting or correcting data errors will be given in the event of using a method (any method) that is not trustless by nature. Kiklo's method of getting a new client up to sync will almost certainly work right now.

So why do we not offer support for users that choose to use a non-trustless method of getting their client synced? The primary reason is because the data distributed in a non-trustless way simply cannot be verified to be good in any way, shape, or form by the client or the network. It is by all accounts completely out of our hands, and as what happened a few months ago, the data provided was incorrect so there wasn't anything to be done aside from having users resync their local clients.

All that being said, we have released a new official bootstrap (Linear method) that includes all blocks up to #2870000 (8/24/2016). It is available automatically for those that are currently using the btsync program and also directly from the websites (www.mintcoinofficial.com and www.mintymintcoin.com)

BTSync Link: Here
Direct Download Link: Here
legendary
Me too. I did the bootstrap from kiklo and overnight I'm all caught up
Interesting. Bootstrap worked for me very quickly, a matter of hours.

Odds are you used My Snapshot instead of the Bootstrap. (Mint Bootstrap will take days, My Snapshot only a few hours)
Snapshots will be ready very fast compared to a Bootstrap.dat which Mint team recommends.
Difference between a Snapshot & a BootStrap.dat file.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16022247

Cool

Activity: 896
Merit: 553
I've tried the bootstrap method, takes just as long if not longer.

Me too. I did the bootstrap from kiklo and overnight I'm all caught up
Interesting. Bootstrap worked for me very quickly, a matter of hours.
Activity: 896
Merit: 553
I don't have a .conf file and when you say startup I just start it from windows. I don't have a command line.
Pages:
Jump to: