Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | True Decentralization (No Pools) | Testing New Masternodes - page 14. (Read 810025 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1002
Decentralize Everything
got interested in the coin a while ago, stopped following,.... sorry to barge in here, but any insight would be appreciated.

can anyone give me a summary as to why a masternode system was started?

Also, is this coin still pool resistant? There was rumor a while back that someone found a way around it.

Also, if the masternode thing is true, and its imported from dash, is there anything in place to prevent masternode stake pooling?

Hi,

You're not barging in at all.

I wasn't closely involved with SPR but I think I can answer one of your questions.

At least one SPR pool exists however there is the major caveat that these pools require full trust between all of the miners.  The way the SpreadX11 algorithm works means that the private key has to be shared with all members of the pool which means that any miner could steal the entire pool's coins at any time.  So yes, a workaround was found but it is not considered to be a viable option beyond a group of close friends.

Please note that a new ANN thread is planned for SPR.  We're hoping this to happen today but no deadlines are set Smiley

I hope this helps.

Dan
Activity: 268
Merit: 250
to strictly control if the service nodes are playing by the rules or not.

That's good!

Scores are not here to reward those who offer a better service.

Was thinking long term, it might not be possible to maintain that position when the going gets rough.

By that I mean higher transaction volume but also security threats. We've seen the damage that can be done verbally, SPR never had to defend it's network against attacks of all kinds. If that ever happens (and I hope not, but let's be realistic), I would expect the ServiceNodes to be first in the line of fire. My concern is that at some time in the future, it might be necessary to harden the network on all possible levels, starting with the Service Nodes. Who's to say that there could be vulnerabilities with Instant Transactions (high value transactions being approved without enough coverage by the lower nodes and no reversal possible in case of fraudulent transactions) and the system gets exploited through the weakest links?

Food for though but as I said, these are longer term concerns, I'd like to see how it plays out in the immediate future after Service Node launch.

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
I logged in to my c-cex account this morning and saw to my big suprise that Spread is Marked for delisting!!!
What kinda nonsens is that?
Can that really be true?
Is there any exchange where this coin has any volume, or is everybody just bagholdning?

We started looking to go for Cryptsy, but it turns out we are on an exchange that has more overall volume.

So the idea was sort of dropped for now. There is plenty of volume on trex.

I did the small task requested and can confirm Bittrex is seeing bigger overall trading volumes compared to Cryptsy

https://www.cryptocoincharts.info/markets/info

The decision to go after a listing on cryptsy can wait as it doesn't seem that necessary, IMO

maybe so - as far as volume is concerned - but cryptsy has one main thing that bittrex doesnt ...

and that is the autosell / autotrade ability ...

#crysx
legendary
I logged in to my c-cex account this morning and saw to my big suprise that Spread is Marked for delisting!!!
Can that really be true?
Is there any exchange where this coin has any volume, or is everybody just bagholdning?

We started looking to go for Cryptsy, but it turns out we are on an exchange that has more overall volume.

So the idea was sort of dropped for now. There is plenty of volume on trex.

I did the small task requested and can confirm Bittrex is seeing bigger overall trading volumes compared to Cryptsy

https://www.cryptocoincharts.info/markets/info

The decision to go after a listing on cryptsy can wait as it doesn't seem that necessary, IMO
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
Profits are nice but unless there's a business behind the coin, they're nothing short of incomplete.

Most sensible thing I have read all day.

I still do not agree with the rationale for a node score to be partially based on how many coins are associated with a node though.

Me neither. In fact I had a lenghty disagreement with Mr.Spread about exactly this point. Shortly before he left us.  Wink

I think the way servicenodes will work is with a 2-Step procedure:

1) is a servicenode even within the "spread" and allowed to run?
(This will be limited by the maximum amount of possible service nodes (Total coins / 2880 = Spread),
and if a servicenode is even willing to pay the minimum collateral necessary to secure a seat.
Minimum collateral is derived by a completely free market price discovery.)

2) After your servicenode secures a seat, does it provide the services it is supposed to provide with a reasonable quality (availability, throughput, not necessarily performance)?
If yes, good, if not, the system kicks the service node out.

Now, 1) is more important than 2), and regarding the competitive nature of the game 1) is necessary for 2) to even apply.

It is expected that people who run a servicenode will want to improve their server because it will then improve the quality of the services, which in turn attracts investors in the first place.
It is not necessary to let the protocol reward people who have access to the best server hardware (with the best performance) and hereby exclude other people who have only access to average server hardware.
(which doesn't have best performance, but still a reasonable amount of availability and data throughput)

No, it is only necessary to punish and exclude the free loaders. (people who deliberately try to game the system by installing servicenodes that get payed while providing nothing)
I think availability and throughput is more easily assessable than "performance".
What I mean with that, if a servicenode is highly available but rather slow, it should stay in the race and help contribute to the service network,
it can't be that only very fast low ping servers are allowed to play this game, because this game is not merely about speed.
There are other factors.

This really depends on the specific nature of a service.
Some need more speed, other more harddisk space, others more availability, etc...

So: no, there will never be a node score that is partially based on how many coins you have on your account.
There will be scores alright, but like some kind of policing mechanism the score is only here to strictly control if the service nodes are playing by the rules or not.
Scores are not here to reward those who offer a better service.

So to go back to the 2-Step procedure:

1) Competitive Pricing mechanism (how much are you willing to pay?) ---> Completely freely moving parameter.
2) Strict policing to exclude free loaders (are you playing by the rules or not?) ---> Strict boolean value of true or false

2) doesn't need to influence the competitive nature of 1)
2) is just a switch, while 1) is a spread.

And most importantly only 1) is tied to the amount of coins you have in your servicenode.
2) doesn't give a sh*t if you have 10000 SPR or only 100 SPR in your wallet.
It will judge you no matter what.

EDIT: An example:

Suppose we have a service application codenamed "Spread the Search" which acts as a decentralized search engine.

Now, to decide if a servicenode plays by the rule we could introduce a general rule like:
"is the servicenode crawling and indexing atleast 10000 websites a day?"

If no, the servicenode is kicked out.

If yes, the servicenode is not getting additional rewards if it crawls 20000 websites a day, because this is not necessary.
No, it will simply have passed the test, no need to reward the "overachievers", because it can be expected that people will want to improve their server hardware ANYWAY,
because it will improve the service overall and therefor attract more investors.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Wish very much spread hand to hand....
legendary
spreadcoin.info
Can that really be true?

Yes, bittrex.

I wasn't even aware that it was listed at other exchanges too?
Bittrex is the only exchange where SPR has had and is having any reasonable amount of volume.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
got interested in the coin a while ago, stopped following,.... sorry to barge in here, but any insight would be appreciated.

can anyone give me a summary as to why a masternode system was started?

Also, is this coin still pool resistant? There was rumor a while back that someone found a way around it.

Also, if the masternode thing is true, and its imported from dash, is there anything in place to prevent masternode stake pooling?
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Captain
Can that really be true?
legendary
Decentralize Everything
Profits are nice but unless there's a business behind the coin, they're nothing short of incomplete.

Most sensible thing I have read all day.

I still do not agree with the rationale for a node score to be partially based on how many coins are associated with a node though.

Hasn't Dash just introduced a masternode scoring system that takes up-time and QOS into account or did I dream that?

legendary
Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
get rid of "more spr = higher score"?

It's a tricky issue but going back to the principles of alt coins: they're experimental and not a money machine in the sense that they need to provide a profit. Profits are nice but unless there's a business behind the coin, they're nothing short of incomplete.

Point in case: never invest what you're not prepared to lose...

In my opinion, Service Nodes are exactly that: providing a service. The service is to support the coin network and the network transactions. Why not have a performance system that allows weak links to be eliminated?

Nodes providing faster service, more secure servers, more funds to perform payments, let those earn more! It's not about equality for all, it's not about distributing coins! It's about investing in infrastructure and getting rewarded for the RISK!

Can't wait to test the SPR Service Nodes.

My 2 cents Cool

my sentiments EXACTLY ...

i have been preaching the same verse in all counts of the crypto world since my ( and those involved ) first foray into the cryptocurrency mining and trade ...

ie - 'Point in case: never invest what you're not prepared to lose...'

those 2 cents that you have put in are worth substantially more than that Smiley ...

especially when these servicenodes are active ...

#crysx
Activity: 268
Merit: 250
get rid of "more spr = higher score"?

It's a tricky issue but going back to the principles of alt coins: they're experimental and not a money machine in the sense that they need to provide a profit. Profits are nice but unless there's a business behind the coin, they're nothing short of incomplete.

Point in case: never invest what you're not prepared to lose...

In my opinion, Service Nodes are exactly that: providing a service. The service is to support the coin network and the network transactions. Why not have a performance system that allows weak links to be eliminated?

Nodes providing faster service, more secure servers, more funds to perform payments, let those earn more! It's not about equality for all, it's not about distributing coins! It's about investing in infrastructure and getting rewarded for the RISK!

Can't wait to test the SPR Service Nodes.

My 2 cents Cool

EDIT: Can't wait to test LAUNCH the SPR Service Nodes.
legendary
spreadcoin.info
Anyhow, for the new ANN thread we can only use social media accounts that are actively used and in the control of active members of the community.

So if someone wants to be listed he can PM me.

(ATM I have only gladimor listed with his twitter account)
legendary
hey, whatever happened to mrcashking?

He started a nice facebook page about spreadcoin back in january... is he still around?

At the moment I am trying to figure out who has control over what social media sites.

I see we have an active twitter account at https://twitter.com/spreadcointeam
which is controlled by Gladimor.

A-Russo has been active on social media, he is looking to create a new twitter handle.

https://twitter.com/_a_russo

I think Mr.Cashking was looking to sell his social media accounts. I was looking up spread on twitter last week to see what was what and he popped up somewhere.  Not 100% sure I haven't mixed him up with someone else.
legendary
spreadcoin.info
hey, whatever happened to mrcashking?

He started a nice facebook page about spreadcoin back in january... is he still around?

At the moment I am trying to figure out who has control over what social media sites.

I see we have an active twitter account at https://twitter.com/spreadcointeam
which is controlled by Gladimor.
legendary
spreadcoin.info

I really like the tutorial you created, e1ghtspace. I like your voice, it has potential. If you train your voice a little bit that could sound really really awesome.
I urge you to "find your radio voice" as they say.

If you just use a better microphone, level the audio and maybe create an intro and outro for such tutorials, that would be great.

I have added your tutorial video next to the GPU Miner download section.

I'd love to see more such tutorials, maybe combined with your 3D animations?

legendary
Decentralize Everything
Ha!  Just noticed the Turing reference in your profile Coins  Smiley
legendary
spreadcoin.info
This particular example isn't what we should have, but I like the idea of nodes firing off messages around a distributed decentralized network.

Cool

Yes exactly, with normal nodes being small synapses and servicenodes being big synapses.
All interacting with each other, ...

That's the idea behind the fancy 2D graphics on the new website...
I would love to see that in 3D...
Pages:
Jump to: