Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][CRC] Craftcoin - Portable Minecraft Game Currency w. Economy Plugin - page 19. (Read 92271 times)

Activity: 213
Merit: 100
Mining history: BTC->LTC->FTC->CRC:2200kh/s
I think we need to have a Pool operator or 2 Chime in on this as both the Diff Stick and the Band-aid REALLY affect them
ooooooh baby +1 to a short term fix like said before even if it lasts for only one day it would still breath new live into the servers i think me and maybe blindfolded are the only people with much in the way of CRC on spendlightcoins server and it is hard to get ppl interested in it when they can't put any starting capital in it and there are no npc shops!

so i guess that 2 votes for do it

***EDIT***
Just noticed there was a Poll added vote. looks like it's 8-2 for band-aid sofar
My question is, with the projected "Band aided" plan, would that effect the implementation of a long term fix? If the only thing the short term fix is going to do, is fix the coin for as long as possible, to buy time for a long term fix, I don't see any problem with that. But, if by implementing the short term fix, it will be more difficult for the long term fix, there is a problem.

Blindfolded, what is your plan for the short term fix?

It would consist of a manual re-target, and tweaking the adjustments. Difficulty may spike again the following day for all I know, but I'm willing to do it if there is sufficient pressure to do so. As far as making it more difficult to fix long term, it will probably have no real impact.

That being said, if there is no harm done to the longrun by the short term fix, I vote for the short term fix to be implemented.

If the difficulty spikes and we are stranded again, we are back in the current situation, but no further back. And that will take some pressure off you to come up with a kick ass long term solution  Grin and allow CRC to be used in Minecraft servers again (since getting deposits in/out is an issue right now)

If anyone sees any issues that could arrise, please voice them. Last thing I want to do is break the leaky pipe with the duct tape.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
My question is, with the projected "Band aided" plan, would that effect the implementation of a long term fix? If the only thing the short term fix is going to do, is fix the coin for as long as possible, to buy time for a long term fix, I don't see any problem with that. But, if by implementing the short term fix, it will be more difficult for the long term fix, there is a problem.

It would consist of a manual re-target, and tweaking the adjustments. Difficulty may spike again the following day for all I know, but I'm willing to do it if there is sufficient pressure to do so. As far as making it more difficult to fix long term, it will probably have no real impact.

That being said, if there is no harm done to the longrun by the short term fix, I vote for the short term fix to be implemented.

If the difficulty spikes and we are stranded again, we are back in the current situation, but no further back. And that will take some pressure off you to come up with a kick ass long term solution  Grin and allow CRC to be used in Minecraft servers again (since getting deposits in/out is an issue right now)

If anyone sees any issues that could arrise, please voice them. Last thing I want to do is break the leaky pipe with the duct tape.
Activity: 156

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1084
What's the proposed "band-aid" then?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

legendary
I think a good idea would be to make CraftCoin "self-aware" of the time that has passed since the last block. 

The problem with that is how to handle forks.  If a miner has > 51% of the network, then could create a chain of blocks with lower difficulty.

Basically, if you have 2 chains and a fork 2 weeks ago, the software needs to be able to do decide which one is the main chain.

If a block is 90% difficulty, maybe it should get 9 CRC instead of 10.  However, that means that miners won't mine it anyway, since you aren't pushing up the price per hash.
not a bad idea but to be honest i would like to see a band-aid fix for now something to get the miners back and the coin working again and once it is THEN look for a great long term solution

I've been thinking of ways to get craftcoin moving and to avoid such a stalling of the coin in the future.  I think a good idea would be to make CraftCoin "self-aware" of the time that has passed since the last block.  Craftcoin could, every few minutes, look at the time now()  (possibly using an ntp server or something, or however craftcoin usually gets the times of blocks)  and compare it to the time of the last block. If the time that has passed is looking like it's an unacceptable level, Craftcoin could reduce the difficulty of the current block by, say, 10% per extra minute (or something) that passes.

Once this block has been found, the next block can still start at the original starting difficulty, and the same process can occur if the block takes an unaceptably long time to solve.

By this method we get to the next true difficulty change much faster.

Activity: 455
Merit: 251
I've been thinking of ways to get craftcoin moving and to avoid such a stalling of the coin in the future.  I think a good idea would be to make CraftCoin "self-aware" of the time that has passed since the last block.  Craftcoin could, every few minutes, look at the time now()  (possibly using an ntp server or something, or however craftcoin usually gets the times of blocks)  and compare it to the time of the last block. If the time that has passed is looking like it's an unacceptable level, Craftcoin could reduce the difficulty of the current block by, say, 10% per extra minute (or something) that passes.

Once this block has been found, the next block can still start at the original starting difficulty, and the same process can occur if the block takes an unaceptably long time to solve.

By this method we get to the next true difficulty change much faster.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
legendary
Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000
The unofficial fork of the Craftcoin wallet and the pool they used caused a problem with the current p2pools. They used our official Craftcoin public source of p2pool without changing it to work independently. Since they had the majority of the network hash the current p2pools synced with them causing all the previous p2pool shares to be orphaned and new p2pools to be on a different share chain.

They have since shut down their pool but left the rest of the p2pools with their share chain.

To remedy the situation stop your node and delete the Craftcoin data folder in p2pool-13.1\data\

I have notified all known p2pool operators to do the same. Part of the problem with making the source public on a coin with little hash rate is individuals can do what they have done :/

Edit: Thanks TreasureSeeker for alerting me to the situation!
Activity: 455
Merit: 251
I've been reading about CraftCoin over the last few days and I'm impressed at how it's been set up and integrates into Minecraft, even though I've never played it...yet (been reading a bit about Minecraft too).  

Anyway, it's impressed me so much that I've set up a P2Pool pool at http://craftcoin.treasurequarry.com:8830/static/   . Full details of how to mine are at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/help-get-craftcoin-moving-p2pool-mining-pool-at-treasurequarry-usa-server-1-268080

Hopefully people will join and help get CraftCoin moving again.  

Speaking of getting it going again, if the big increase then decrease was an attack which it seems to be, remember folks that people will attack things they feel threatened by - which is  sign that CraftCoin is actually a good coin with prospects in the long run!

thanks man

hey is anyone here a mod on the spendlitecoin server?  I would like the go ahead on some mods but i'm the only one EVER online... k well that's not true but i'm the only one on in the evenings it seems

i would like to use mini map and autofish

Go for it.

hey is anyone here a mod on the spendlitecoin server?  I would like the go ahead on some mods but i'm the only one EVER online... k well that's not true but i'm the only one on in the evenings it seems

Go for it.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Have the recent problems been resolved?
legendary
This solution is closer to viable. Still a little bit problematic if the hashrate suddenly drops, but definitely better than our current situation.

If you are willing to accept some centralization in the solution, you could add a rule where the devs can reset the difficulty (including the no-mint timeout).  This could be a special signed block header or something similar.  It would have to be part of the chain, so it can be verified.

Have you updated the alert keys so you can issue alerts?
The update won't even cause a fork.

I suggest your new rules should be

- reset the difficulty to 1 starting at block
- the next 144 blocks have no block reward (other than tx fees)
- updates the difficulty every block based on the last 144 blocks
- caps the difficulty change to 1% per block

The 144 zero payment blocks prevent a "pre-mine" situation. 

It gives the network a chance to find the current hashing power without it being a giveaway.

It also means that nobody can make the accusation that those who happened to be online when the fork went live got an advantage.

This solution is closer to viable. Still a little bit problematic if the hashrate suddenly drops, but definitely better than our current situation.
legendary

I think what you mean is that coins from pre-fork will work on both old and new chains.

The difficulty drop-off problem is a problem that has plagued all alt coins.

Bitcoin is a "price maker".  This means that when they drop the price they pay per hash, the market adjusts to their new price.

Some miners might switch to alt chains, but mostly they can absorb price shifts.

In addition, since they have such a large share of the hashing power, it is less likely that they get hit with a surge of hashing power.

Alt coins are "price takers".  This means that they can't control the price of hashing power.

If they drop their price by a large step, then they will get no hashing power.

Changing the difficulty every block, even if the window is large is better than changing it in one big step.

If you limited the change to 1% per block, then after 144 blocks, you get a 4.19X change, which is pretty close to the current limits.

I suggest your new rules should be

- reset the difficulty to 1 starting at block
- the next 144 blocks have no block reward (other than tx fees)
- updates the difficulty every block based on the last 144 blocks
- caps the difficulty change to 1% per block

The 144 zero payment blocks prevent a "pre-mine" situation. 

It gives the network a chance to find the current hashing power without it being a giveaway.

It also means that nobody can make the accusation that those who happened to be online when the fork went live got an advantage.
Activity: 196

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

This update is exactly the definition of a hard fork. A change to the protocol, which many (most) of the existing clients will reject, causing the creation of two incompatible block chains with the same name and other identifiers.

Huh
Pages:
Jump to: