Author

Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network - page 224. (Read 1201327 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1010
Good work!  Decred is the star of 2017 ... we need implement smart contract  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
From Decred Forums:

It was mentioned on slack/IRC that this DD was technical and didn't make the release tangible for the layperson. Here's a breakdown of the most important parts of this release.

Stake version soft fork

In order to enable hard fork voting, we implement a soft fork that makes use of the existing block version in block headers, vote version and the stake version in block headers. Those familiar with Bitcoin may be aware that soft forks are implemented via the block version in the block header, where the network begins enforcing and rejecting blocks of lower version at certain activation thresholds, e.g. if 75% of the blocks in a trailing window of 1000 blocks are version 3, blocks with version less than 3 are rejected by the network. This process is entirely controlled by the PoW miners, so in Bitcoin, this process depends only on the PoW miners and not the rest of the network. In Decred, we require a second version in the block header to enable hard fork voting, called the stake version, and this version being incremented corresponds to the start of voting on a new set of issues that are encoded in votebits that are part of each vote cast by stakeholders. Decred uses the existing Bitcoin method for incrementing the block version in its block headers, but to increment the stake version, the block version must already be incremented and 75% or more of the votes cast in a stake version interval must be of a particular version, e.g. version 3. The rules for starting a new voting period can be reduced to asking a couple straightforward questions:
Did all the PoW miners upgrade to the latest dcrd release?
Did 75% or more of the stakeholders voting in the last stake version interval upgrade to the latest dcrwallet release?
If these 2 conditions are satisfied, the stake version is incremented and the next voting period begins. There is a third condition, but it is more technical and messy to explain, so I'll gloss over it.

The purpose of this soft fork is to act as a signaling mechanism that indicates the network is ready to upgrade consensus. Since this soft fork behavior is fundamental to how Decred hard fork voting will work, we have exhaustively tested the various scenarios that can occur at the ends of stake version intervals. This work was completed by @moo1337 and @davecgh. The code to activate the soft fork was roughly 1500 lines, but the test coverage was roughly 2500 lines. These tests simulate an entire blockchain and ensure that stake version changes behave properly under all conditions, including both positive and negative tests and behavior under reorganizations. We will strive to maintain this level of test coverage for any future consensus changes that occur as part of hard fork voting. If you're interested in checking out the code, have a look at dcrd pull requests 524 (soft fork) and 526 (test coverage).

decrediton

As part of our effort to get a GUI wallet that runs on all major platforms, we started work on decrediton, which uses Electron, React and Redux frameworks. In a single release, @ay-p has gotten most of the basics working for decrediton. Despite being in a very much "alpha" state, it can create simple transactions, generate a new seed, restore from seed, and receive payments. It does have a notable deficiency with the transaction history, but fixing that requires some more substantial work on the gRPC decrediton uses to interact with dcrwallet. By the next release, decrediton should allow users to do most things they can already do with the command line wallet, dcrwallet. In the meantime, do understand this is very much a work-in-progress and there will be something more "beta" available by early February.

dcrticketbuyer

Some users may have noticed that dcrticketbuyer has been static for this release despite several open issues. This is because the code from dcrticketbuyer has been migrated to a separate package inside dcrwallet. This was done because in order to buy tickets, you need a wallet, so rather than require users to run 2 processes, a wallet for buying tickets and a ticket buyer, only 1 process is required. Another reason this was done is that automatic ticket purchasing in Paymetheus or decrediton creates a mess when using a standalone ticket buyer versus something integrated into wallet. The migration took @Javed Khan a while and it has now landed in dcrwallet.

If you have any further questions about the release, feel free to ask.
jcv
Activity: 34
Merit: 1
I do agree about "too much development" in the sense, that devs promised us a hardfork voting this year, but this is not happened. And it seems that we need few more months for this.

Meanwhile, they started this brand new GUI wallet trying to stabilise the exchange rate. It looks to me like some kind of "panic development" and it goes way far from the announced roadmap.

We have always said that we planned on a cross platform wallet.  Paymetheus is very nice, but many of the devs (me for example) don't use windows at all so we've wanted a GUI on the OSes we use.
Activity: 714
Merit: 529
I do agree about "too much development" in the sense, that devs promised us a hardfork voting this year, but this is not happened. And it seems that we need few more months for this.

Meanwhile, they started this brand new GUI wallet trying to stabilise the exchange rate. It looks to me like some kind of "panic development" and it goes way far from the announced roadmap.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1119
It's all mathematics...!
Activity: 784
Merit: 506
Can someone step out of these bushes and tell me why all of this is happening around there. Too much developments at once is not nice for a long-standing project, u should space ur milestones across the roadmap axis more equally.

Too much development?  LOL that's a new one.  Sounds like you want to manipulate the coin for the purpose of better appealing to investors to prop up the price.  Shame shame.
legendary
Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004
There's no such thing as too much development.  Cheesy
The more, the better.
Congrats to Decred team on this important release!
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028
#mitandopelomundo
legendary

An initial preview version of Decrediton (the node.js wallet) is coming out in 0.7.0.  Not quite ready for prime time yet, but it will be there to play with.  Should be much more complete in 0.8.0 and hopefully we'll have windows builds for it then too.

Can someone step out of these bushes and tell me why all of this is happening around there. Too much developments at once is not nice for a long-standing project, u should space ur milestones across the roadmap axis more equally.

You mean a cross platform wallet?  Look out guys too much development better slow down...

Activity: 2147
Merit: 518

An initial preview version of Decrediton (the node.js wallet) is coming out in 0.7.0.  Not quite ready for prime time yet, but it will be there to play with.  Should be much more complete in 0.8.0 and hopefully we'll have windows builds for it then too.

Activity: 714
Merit: 529
Decred v0.7.0 is out!  See our forum for more details: https://forum.decred.org/threads/dd-20-v0-7-0-12-26-16.4702/

Are there any incompatibilities with the previous dcrwallet?
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
jcv
jcv

legendary
Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004
I never expected to see Decred at 0.00049 BTC! Shocked
I really believe in the value that Decred can add, and it's time to go shopping?!  Cool
Could anyone explain the drop in prices? At the end of August or September there were some problems with cost of mining... And after?

You could blame the oversaturation of the altcoin market, along with the complete lack of marketing on decred team's part.
In the end I still cannot find a satisfactory explanation.

Sadly, people just don't seem interested in the coin  Sad

It's really hard to say, however when all the features are implemented and working (voting etc.) and c0's funds are usable, we could see a rebirth of this coin.
Have faith in the project!
Merry Christmas.
Activity: 409
Merit: 250
I never expected to see Decred at 0.00049 BTC! Shocked
I really believe in the value that Decred can add, and it's time to go shopping?!  Cool
Could anyone explain the drop in prices? At the end of August or September there were some problems with cost of mining... And after?

You could blame the oversaturation of the altcoin market, along with the complete lack of marketing on decred team's part.
In the end I still cannot find a satisfactory explanation.

Sadly, people just don't seem interested in the coin  Sad
legendary
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
A quick update on the 0.7.0 release on our forum:

https://forum.decred.org/threads/decred-0-7-0-release-update.4669/

Sounds good, thanks for keeping us in the loop

Perfect! Decred team is the most efficient team of crypto world Smiley and decred is more and more under valued ... this is time for invest in it!

I will wait till the btc pump is over.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1010
A quick update on the 0.7.0 release on our forum:

https://forum.decred.org/threads/decred-0-7-0-release-update.4669/

Sounds good, thanks for keeping us in the loop

Perfect! Decred team is the most efficient team of crypto world Smiley and decred is more and more under valued ... this is time for invest in it!
Jump to: