Pages:
Author

Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs - page 12. (Read 227504 times)

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
I was told in PM that they didn't have any problems with manufacturing.

Only with clearing customs because the CNY was on top of them.

And clearly you believe everything you're told..  Roll Eyes
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
I think any vendor who actually gets ASICs into the hands of end users deserves recognition for pulling off a complex technical project.  Unfortunately, the various delays have combined in a manner which will make the units received by the average customer far less valuable which is going to leave a sour taste for many - especially when the market corrects.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
Whilst BFL provide zero proof other than something that looks like somewhere where they made/make their FPGA products my BTC stays in my wallet.

Avalon have faired no better, they spent all Batch#1 money on making a few prototypes and now have Batch#2 funds to work with to fulfill outstanding orders.

Both have run roughshod over their consumer base with unrealistic timescales, poor communications/white lies and are playing high risk business strategies.

They are both running too close to the wire for me to invest yet, so whilst BTC is on the up anyone with any sense should keep their wallets firmly closed unless you can afford to loose out, only then are the potential gains worth anything.
I was told in PM that they didn't have any problems with manufacturing.

Only with clearing customs because the CNY was on top of them.
Activity: 143
Merit: 100
Whilst BFL provide zero proof other than something that looks like somewhere where they made/make their FPGA products my BTC stays in my wallet.

Avalon have faired no better, they spent all Batch#1 money on making a few prototypes and now have Batch#2 funds to work with to fulfill outstanding orders.

Both have run roughshod over their consumer base with unrealistic timescales, poor communications/white lies and are playing high risk business strategies.

They are both running too close to the wire for me to invest yet, so whilst BTC is on the up anyone with any sense should keep their wallets firmly closed unless you can afford to loose out, only then are the potential gains worth anything.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014
FPV Drone Pilot
Pics from Kano's trip: http://198.245.60.111/Pix/

I guess I just don't understand this show at all.  Seems very much like CES to me, bring nothing, show nothing new, try and dress it up as nice as you can, but no substance of any sort.  Why didn't the ppl working at the Kansas City BFL shop just take those pictures months ago?

Cliffs:

-- many more fan-boxes
-- many power supplies
-- many devices that could theoretically be used in production of ASIC miners
-- a sweet airplane flight!

...but

-- no ASIC chips
-- no devices hashing at high speeds
-- no picture of chips, bumped or not
-- deafening silence on bumping facility  

I would have thought the latest delay tactic would have been employed by now, but now even the delays have delays.  I am betting no ASICs by 3/20 in my betting thread ATM for anyone that is still confident BFL will ship and wants to bet.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination

I also cant believe you still  think you are  days away from mass shipping when you havent had a single prototype chip to test yet. How do you plan in a few days to do functional tests, do proper chip characterization, test the chip, package and underfill for thermal and mechanical stress, verify BGA alignment, check impact of voltage fluctuation and what not? And Im just talking about the chip here, not even the rest of the PCB. This typically takes weeks, and more often than not is an iterative process as you rarely get everything right on the first try.

These are all valid concerns, but I hope they deliver quality products after thorough testing, even that could mean weeks of delay.  I'd rather have more tested and stable product than sending it back for replacement after 1 week

Of course the difficulty is rising each day, but quality is still of higher priority, maybe they could consider uppgrade customers with faster transport method

Every time I see josh post angry reply, I know there will be another delay Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
Just because you backed the BFL horse doesn't give anyone a blank-check to bash competitors with snide comments on any whem.

HA! You must be new here based on that statement Wink

And besides, not one ASIC company knows what they're doing...doesn't matter if it's BFL, Avalon, bASIC (clearly), or ASICMiner. They're all making it up as they go along since there's no set of rules as to how these devices should look or run, or how you should treat your customers either.

It is true, that kind of behavior is common on here.   These are all startup firms and they are all have their own growing pains.  This constant bashing is getting old, lets just see what happens and then talk about it.   Pick one or the other or none, and just accept that you took a risk and something could go wrong or it could go smoothly.  They all have pros and cons and some more pronounced than others.   

legendary
Just because you backed the BFL horse doesn't give anyone a blank-check to bash competitors with snide comments on any whem.

HA! You must be new here based on that statement Wink

And besides, not one ASIC company knows what they're doing...doesn't matter if it's BFL, Avalon, bASIC (clearly), or ASICMiner. They're all making it up as they go along since there's no set of rules as to how these devices should look or run, or how you should treat your customers either.

I only backed BFL because they were (and still are, in my opinion) the most logical investment.

Slow down and take a deep breath, Dalkore.

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Pretty cute that every post of mine here gets deleted.  Sick censorship.  Gmaxwell, I presume.

I suppose it's bitcointalk policy not to speak ill of BFL, a company with $10M in btc community monies that haven't shipped an ASIC yet.

Plenty of mine get deleted as well - none of them were on topic. I assume the same goes for yours.

I have the opposite problem. Somebody's been adding posts to my profile. I've always been a believer in BFL and now these pics by Kano prove it. Now, I have to go and manually delete all the posts in my account that were of a negative nature toward them.

Seriously, if BFL/Josh would have provided such types of picks on a regular basis and were more opened as the process continued, I believe a lot of the naysaying and trolling would never have occurred. The added bonus would have been that no money would have had to be doled out to bring a person from the other side, and down under, the globe to take pictures that Jody, or anybody else, could have. For the life of me, I don't see the thinking there.

The above is not a diss.

From 98.6% to 100%, BFL is not a scam. Maybe idiots, but not a scam.

Peace, Josh.

~Bruno K~
Activity: 196
Another block in the wall
But they need the pre-order funds to continue......I'll support if someone knows what they're doing.

You realize this is the BFL thread and not the Avalon one, right?

Yes I do realize.
A few months ago, its was all about BFL. Investments goes to however knows what they're doing.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
That kind of implies the chips that were on the pictured boards were early ASICs that were damaged by heat. Other statements made seem to indicate that there's never been an actual hashing prototype of the chip though.

Has BFL ever had an ASIC (in any package) that actually communicated and hashed? If the QFN chips soldered onto the SC rev 1 board weren't ASICs, what were they?

That just makes no sense. You don't just do a run of 8 chips. And even if you are crazy enough to produce just 8 chips, if you burn them all out, then there's no point in running thermal simulations. You already proved they can't handle the heat.
I never said they did a run of 8 chips, if they did get a wafer (or multiple wafers) completed thy would have hundreds of chips. They did have 9 chips mounted onto PCBs though, and I was wondering what those chips were as the update in question makes it seem like the bubbled chip was an ASIC that suffered a heat death.
They also dropped from 100 wafers in the production run to 75 wafers, which would be consistent with bringing 25 wafers to the point where they couldn't recover/convert them to FCBGA. Who knows what actually happened though.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
But they need the pre-order funds to continue......I'll support if someone knows what they're doing.

Korbman, you seem to be new around here with that statement.   I'll leave it at June 2012.   Just because you backed the BFL horse doesn't give anyone a blank-check to bash competitors with snide comments on any whem.  Don't you represent an investment fund?
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
That kind of implies the chips that were on the pictured boards were early ASICs that were damaged by heat. Other statements made seem to indicate that there's never been an actual hashing prototype of the chip though.

Has BFL ever had an ASIC (in any package) that actually communicated and hashed? If the QFN chips soldered onto the SC rev 1 board weren't ASICs, what were they?

That just makes no sense. You don't just do a run of 8 chips. And even if you are crazy enough to produce just 8 chips, if you burn them all out, then there's no point in running thermal simulations. You already proved they can't handle the heat.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
my word for it. Here's what Josh had to say:

Quote from: BFL_Josh
We paid a company out of California quite a bit of money to run a run of simulations under different scenarios on our boards

When BFL really does have a working chip, you'll hear about it.

There's my good old Skye, the Liar!  Lying again, I see you haven't corrected your lack of intelligence.

What Syke so conveniently "forgot" to include was that the quote was in reference to THERMAL simulations of how heat propagates throughout the board.  If Syke wasn't a liar, he would have included that information.  But since he IS, in fact, a liar (this time by omission)... you get the half quote you see there.

He might have embellished a little bit, but can you answer the jist of his question? Way back when you made that quote you also said.
Quote from: BFL_Josh
We made the decision to go with QFN in December. I can't really talk about our development process itself, but we have gone through extensive design and testing phases... at one point in early December we decided to look at a worst case scenario if the chips were in a really hot environment (you can see the bubbled chip in one of the pictures, I think someone pointed it out.).

legendary

Activity: 196
Another block in the wall
Quite frankly, Im astounded by the level of amateurism shown here.

Josh, your project management skills seem to be limited to relaying time estimates you get from your suppliers, whom you are clearly pressuring to fastrack what is a minuscule order for them,  and then passing on that  information unprocessed and with no contingency provisions whatsoever as firm promises to your customers. Big surprise you keep missing deadlines.

I also cant believe you still  think you are  days away from mass shipping when you havent had a single prototype chip to test yet. How do you plan in a few days to do functional tests, do proper chip characterization, test the chip, package and underfill for thermal and mechanical stress, verify BGA alignment, check impact of voltage fluctuation and what not? And Im just talking about the chip here, not even the rest of the PCB. This typically takes weeks, and more often than not is an iterative process as you rarely get everything right on the first try.

One would have thought that BFL had learned some lessons from their first product launch disaster, but I guess not. Anyone who thinks BFL will ship more than a few untested prototypes this month, I got a bridge to sell.

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Now, now, I wouldn't worry. Just last week BFL_Steven was posting in the BFL shoutbox for three days straight that he's trying to figure out how their boundary scan tester works, so I'm sure testing will go just fine without any hitch at all.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
Quite frankly, Im astounded by the level of amateurism shown here.

Josh, your project management skills seem to be limited to relaying time estimates you get from your suppliers, whom you are clearly pressuring to fastrack what is a minuscule order for them,  and then passing on that  information unprocessed and with no contingency provisions whatsoever as firm promises to your customers. Big surprise you keep missing deadlines.

One would have thought that BFL had learned some lessons from their first product launch disaster, but I guess not. Anyone who thinks BFL will ship more than a few untested prototypes this month, I got a bridge to sell.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
Pretty cute that every post of mine here gets deleted.  Sick censorship.  Gmaxwell, I presume.

I suppose it's bitcointalk policy not to speak ill of BFL, a company with $10M in btc community monies that haven't shipped an ASIC yet.

Plenty of mine get deleted as well - none of them were on topic. I assume the same goes for yours.
Pages:
Jump to: