Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 37. (Read 155318 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Hi, could you please post your die size so I can list your product's η-factor?  BFL has posted all the information needed to compute theirs.

3.882 mm

And the other necessary piece of information: how many of these 15(mm2) chips are in your 66Gh/s product?
Only necessary for the manufacturer ...
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
Hi, could you please post your die size so I can list your product's η-factor?  BFL has posted all the information needed to compute theirs.

3.882 mm

And the other necessary piece of information: how many of these 15(mm2) chips are in your 66Gh/s product?
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team

3.882 mm

p.s.
while I understand your H/s/nm theory. The reality is you can't quiet measure things like that.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
There will be no restrictions on what Kano and Yoch can report.

I want to know how many doorknobs are located inside their office. I want to know how many steps it is from the farthest employee parking lot to the front door. How tall are the ceilings? How often are the paper towels in the bathroom refilled? Is it all the same color flooring throughout the entire building?

Answer me those, and then maybe I'll believe BFL is real.

You Crazzzzzzy man  Cheesy
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
Hi, could you please post your die size so I can list your product's η-factor?  BFL has posted all the information needed to compute theirs.
Avalon ASIC Team

So when is this thing happening Josh?
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

I want to know how many doorknobs are located inside their office. I want to know how many steps it is from the farthest employee parking lot to the front door. How tall are the ceilings? How often are the paper towels in the bathroom refilled? Is it all the same color flooring throughout the entire building?

Answer me those, and then maybe I'll believe BFL is real.
legendary
Activity: 1260
legendary
Why does everyone ask that when they know I can't reply Cheesy
What do you mean? as in BFL has yet to inform you of this or you are not allow to say? little digging say they were suppose to do this Oct/Nov.
Just that BFL have usually been very secret and if I know something everyone else doesn't know, of course I'm not going to be the one to announce it

I hope you're not saying that when you come back from your tour.
Eh? Why on earth would that happen?

The point of it for BFL is to prove to yochdog and I that they have what they say they have and tell everyone.
Though of course it's not a forgone conclusion that my response will be positive, of course.

It wont happen, but to be blunt, if when I left, they said to not say anything ... of course that would be the first of many things I would say Tongue
legendary
Activity: 966
What do you mean? as in BFL has yet to inform you of this or you are not allow to say? little digging say they were suppose to do this Oct/Nov.
Just that BFL have usually been very secret and if I know something everyone else doesn't know, of course I'm not going to be the one to announce it

I hope you're not saying that when you come back from your tour.
legendary
Just that BFL have usually been very secret and if I know something everyone else doesn't know, of course I'm not going to be the one to announce it ...

Simply that cgminer is open source so you are well able to fork it if required.
The comment about cgminer had been made long ago but neither of us have had contact from you about it so I just presumed you were wanting to support it yourself but thought I'd point out the obvious reasons for having devs with the hardware.

I guess I wasn't around when that happened, but don't take offense to it Smiley
None taken. That's why I posted. To find out.
Avalon ASIC Team

The comment about cgminer had been made long ago but neither of us have had contact from you about it so I just presumed you were wanting to support it yourself but thought I'd point out the obvious reasons for having devs with the hardware.

I guess I wasn't around when that happened, but don't take offense to it Smiley

how many devices can the avalon host (usb ports?)?

there's a usb port, so as many as your USB hub allow? I'm going to look up the actual limitations of the USB controller and get back to you.
Activity: 473
Merit: 250
Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol
3. What gives you that impression? I'm a big fan of open source and as stated the whole openWRT image will be released and source code provided, if people want to run BFL/bASICs attached to Avalon devices they can do that too 

how many devices can the avalon host (usb ports?)?
legendary
BFL has also stated they are flying me to the USA and yochdog across the USA to see their manufacturing and report to the community
Oh? I didn't hear about this, when is this visit happening?

Well firstly, to use the correct term - we accept git pull requests - just like bitcoin
Now as most people already know: both BFL and bASIC are sending devs (us and others)  hardware to get it working in time for release
You seem to want to do the software yourself, but just realise that you may also end up being the ones to support it if only you have the hardware ...
1. cut me some slack, I'm used to SVN and said "patch". Regardless, git pull requests will be made as it was our original intention.
2. Is that what everyone else is doing? I'll make a thread soon for developers to request dev-units. can't be the odd one out now can we?
3. What gives you that impression? I'm a big fan of open source and as stated the whole openWRT image will be released and source code provided, if people want to run BFL/bASICs attached to Avalon devices they can do that too  Wink

And aside to others ... regarding chip count, ngzhang said here 15~30 Smiley
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1198669

Disregard, this information no longer apply. To provide a better explanation, we used a modular design so the number of chips on the Unit is not yet final, we are still playing around the numbers to get the best power consumption vs. hashrate.
OK. When I was looking for the early comments I made in the Lancelot thread, I came across that and thought it might still be valid.
I now see the answer is "no" Smiley
Avalon ASIC Team
BFL has also stated they are flying me to the USA and yochdog across the USA to see their manufacturing and report to the community
Oh? I didn't hear about this, when is this visit happening?

Well firstly, to use the correct term - we accept git pull requests - just like bitcoin
Now as most people already know: both BFL and bASIC are sending devs (us and others)  hardware to get it working in time for release
You seem to want to do the software yourself, but just realise that you may also end up being the ones to support it if only you have the hardware ...
1. cut me some slack, I'm used to SVN and said "patch". Regardless, git pull requests will be made as it was our original intention.
2. Is that what everyone else is doing? I'll make a thread soon for developers to request dev-units. can't be the odd one out now can we?
3. What gives you that impression? I'm a big fan of open source and as stated the whole openWRT image will be released and source code provided, if people want to run BFL/bASICs attached to Avalon devices they can do that too  Wink

Disregard, this information no longer apply. To provide a better explanation, we used a modular design so the number of chips on the Unit is not yet final, we are still playing around the numbers to get the best power consumption vs. hashrate.
legendary
Most pool can queried for 120 getworks at a time, noticeably the ecoinpool variant. With other new systems like Stratum with aims to solve any other potential problem and future proofing the network.

In addition, like I have previously stated, Avalon will be releasing our image.iso for the controller sometime in December this will include documentation on how our ASIC will communicate with mining softwares and pools. we will also be providing patches to opensource miners like CGminer.

With that said, we are aware of this bandwidth concern and do not deem it to be a problem at the moment.
Regarding cgminer ...

Well firstly, to use the correct term - we accept git pull requests - just like bitcoin Smiley

Secondly, cgminer already supports roll-ntime, vardiff shares and Stratum.
GBT is in development and already working. It will probably be in the next release.

Getwork with roll-ntime can still support over 500GH/s in cgminer per single getwork for 2 minutes.
Higher diff shares is dependent on the pool - all 3 protocols (Getwork, Stratum and GBT) allow it.
GBT currently requires more bandwidth than Getwork and will well beyond 500GH/s
Anyway, those are really pool issues, not miner issues (since cgminer already supports 2 and will support all 3 of them shortly)

From a hardware point of view (as I've mentioned before) as long as it doesn't require polling, first generation ASIC shouldn't present a problem.
At 60GH/s it will be returning ~14 shares a second which of course should be fine over Serial/USB.
10 such devices should easily be OK also.
Feel free to work out how many you can go with Serial on USB Smiley

As mentioned above, as long as the pool supports high difficulty shares, that wont be an issue since the pool should be targeting getting a share every few seconds (or less) with it's difficulty adjustment.

Icarus didn't have polling so I don't expect Avalon to have it either.
The only mandatory thing required for ASIC missing from Icarus was a completion message
Temperature reporting is really a must and clock control is definitely an advantage, if available, since people use their devices in many different conditions and catering to the worst is bad for those who have the best environments.

Thirdly, hardware is required for proper support.
If you are going to support all the cgminer requests regarding your changes then that covers one part of it, but if we start getting support requests regarding the software and have no hardware to run it on, then at least some of those support requests are just going to be sent to you.

Every time changes go into cgminer, if we have no hardware to test the changes we can of course not be sure of the effect of those changes on different hardware.
Rarely will it be an issue, but when it is an issue, if we have no hardware, the answer is: well that's unfortunate.

I am stating the obvious, but I thought I better say it here anyway.

Now as most people already know: both BFL and bASIC are sending devs (us and others) hardware to get it working in time for release
(BFL has also stated they are flying me to the USA and yochdog across the USA to see their manufacturing and report to the community)

--

--

EMS has been excellent sending to me in Australia from central China, Hong Kong and the USA.
Avalon ASIC Team
Can we choose please?

Yes, choice will be offered. I think the correct wording for this announcement is the added option to ship via DHL, but in addition DHL will be the default option selected, if you wish to use EMS, some actions will be required of the customer.

p.s.
Still recovering from Sandy, will provide more updates soon.
Avalon ASIC Team
I've sent emails but gotten no responses, does anyone know what we're supposed to do if we presently own Icarus but still want to reserve ASICs? Thanks.

I've not gotten your email, be sure to send it to [email protected] to ensure proper processing, or go on our support website http://support.avalon-asic.com directly to open a ticket in the future.

To answer your question, we will open the orders for trade-in customers later this month.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
yes I expect 150 TH to be shipped by the end of January.

I doubt it. BFL already admited being 2 months behind schedule in delivery the SC line (Oct -> Dec).
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
I've sent emails but gotten no responses, does anyone know what we're supposed to do if we presently own Icarus but still want to reserve ASICs? Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: