Author

Topic: [ANN][SHIFT] The New Web | IPFS/Phantom | ShiftNrg.org Hosted Decentralized! - page 151. (Read 547569 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Hi, i invested the last days a bit in shift and i have a few questions.

You are planing to move to PoS. I like it, but there's one major problem with it. Only the rich people benefit of it.
I thought about a model, which could decrease this effect.
I saw you plan to hybrid it... So if you have lets say 50% PoW/50% PoS, then you don't need to protect PoS so hard.

So you could divide the stakeholder value.
60% of staker rich people (above 75% of average wallet value) to ensure the network (or even less because you also have PoW)
30% of staker between 25% and 75% of the average wallet value.
and 10% for anyone.

Thats just numbers, of course you can adjust it, but i think shift would benefit if you would open PoS also for the little guys.
You could also use a system, which adjusts the percents based on manipulation.
So by default for example 60% rich stakers and if manipulation happens, the percentage increases.

My next question is about the roadmap. Are there any vague dates? Or even quarters or something like that? Sure i know things need time, i'm an hobby developer myself, but would be nice if you got anything.

My last point is about the wallet. You really should ensure to keep the GUI wallet working in future. No investor will take this projekt serious without it. Sure, they will probably not use it theirself, they will use online services. But it's just important to see there is one.

So i wish you the best, and i hope this project gets really big Smiley

Hi Mokota,

thanks for the kind words and your support!

The details about what happens after POW have not been in any way fixed. Usually there is no difference between POW and POS as you can argue that both systems have a barrier of entry which gives a coin value and helps in price discovery.

What exactly do you mean by "Only the rich people benefit of it."? Maybe we can clear up any doubts or misconceptions?

Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Hi, i invested the last days a bit in shift and i have a few questions.

You are planing to move to PoS. I like it, but there's one major problem with it. Only the rich people benefit of it.
I thought about a model, which could decrease this effect.
I saw you plan to hybrid it... So if you have lets say 50% PoW/50% PoS, then you don't need to protect PoS so hard.

So you could divide the stakeholder value.
60% of staker rich people (above 75% of average wallet value) to ensure the network (or even less because you also have PoW)
30% of staker between 25% and 75% of the average wallet value.
and 10% for anyone.

Thats just numbers, of course you can adjust it, but i think shift would benefit if you would open PoS also for the little guys.
You could also use a system, which adjusts the percents based on manipulation.
So by default for example 60% rich stakers and if manipulation happens, the percentage increases.

My next question is about the roadmap. Are there any vague dates? Or even quarters or something like that? Sure i know things need time, i'm an hobby developer myself, but would be nice if you got anything.

My last point is about the wallet. You really should ensure to keep the GUI wallet working in future. No investor will take this projekt serious without it. Sure, they will probably not use it theirself, they will use online services. But it's just important to see there is one.

So i wish you the best, and i hope this project gets really big Smiley

Thank you for your answer, how will generation of new coins be distributed among participants by the time the network shifts to hybrid? Is there somewhere I can read about it?

That is currently not yet defined, distribution will very likely be comparable to traditional means of existing first and second generation digital currencies. Just as proof of work is handled by GPUs in a similar fashion for most altcoins as well as Shift, proof of stake will be similar to schemes existing now.

There will be a difference however, which is Shift's own Stakenodes. If users run a node that helps the network, they will receive a percentage of every block's reward.

Thanks for the informative answer.

Anytime!

Activity: 306

Thank you for your answer, how will generation of new coins be distributed among participants by the time the network shifts to hybrid? Is there somewhere I can read about it?

That is currently not yet defined, distribution will very likely be comparable to traditional means of existing first and second generation digital currencies. Just as proof of work is handled by GPUs in a similar fashion for most altcoins as well as Shift, proof of stake will be similar to schemes existing now.

There will be a difference however, which is Shift's own Stakenodes. If users run a node that helps the network, they will receive a percentage of every block's reward.

Thanks for the informative answer.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is there a limited supply?

Hi dannygroove,

Shift doesn't have a limited supply, however at some point (targeted at around 8M supply), Shift will become hybrid PoW-PoS and the number of new coins generated will drop dramatically.

Activity: 458

Hi dannygroove,

Shift doesn't have a limited supply, however at some point (targeted at around 8M supply), Shift will become hybrid PoW-PoS and the number of new coins generated will drop dramatically.

Got the new wallet up and running, looks good so far.  Is there a way a minimize it to the system tray?

Also i have not mined this coin as of yet, but for solo mining is anything changed?

Anyway nice work, I believe this coin has a strong future and im going to begin holding on to this coin while the price is low.  I think this has potential to get really big once the apps and hosting start to take off.

Solo mining has not changed as that is only depending on GShift, not the GUI.

Minimizing to tray is currently not supported and we are not planning to do so. The current GUI is temporary as the focus is on ShiftHub as our full wallet solution Smiley

there is a problem in the new version of the purse, in the settings if clicked on testnet, when it does not turn it back to normal mode, restart does not help.

We will look into that, you can likely reset this by running GShift with the correct command line argument.

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Got the new wallet up and running, looks good so far.  Is there a way a minimize it to the system tray?

Also i have not mined this coin as of yet, but for solo mining is anything changed?

Anyway nice work, I believe this coin has a strong future and im going to begin holding on to this coin while the price is low.  I think this has potential to get really big once the apps and hosting start to take off.
Activity: 241

UPDATE JUN 09: SHIFTWALLET (GUI) 1.5.1

We have released SHIFTWALLET 1.5.1.

This update brings back compatibility with GShift. Transactions have been tested and are
working. There are some minor cosmetic bugs which will be worked out over the coming
days, as well as a Mac release.

This is an all-in-one release. It is no longer necessary to run GShift manually.

there is a problem in the new version of the purse, in the settings if clicked on testnet, when it does not turn it back to normal mode, restart does not help.

This update brings back compatibility with GShift. Transactions have been tested and are
working. There are some minor cosmetic bugs which will be worked out over the coming

This is an all-in-one release. It is no longer necessary to run GShift manually.

And just in case, virustotal 0/56.

Please excuse the beginner, are you an independant coin (fuzzy definition), or a sidechain of ETH. Please don't try to confuse me, start your answer with YES or NO. Any (or no answer) without this means YES (not as if that would be a good/bad thing), just trying to understand.

We are an independant coin.

SHIFT launched last year as the first fork of Ethereum, not a sidechain, an independent alternative coin based on Ethereum's codebase Smiley
Last major change 'broke the GUI wallet?'. You seemed to have dumped this to the bottom of the 'ta doo' list.  Isn't "no working GUI wallet" a non starter for miners or Poloniex?  I understand you have big things going, but if you can't take care of the basics, won't your following (miners and others) will go elsewhere?
You don't think a working GUI wallet is a minimum requirement for Poloniex and/or miners?

Hey hashingturtle,

"it broke compatibility", not the GUI wallet itself Smiley

There are a lot of important improvements that come with 2.6.1 so we chose not to delay any longer for the release since we expected that it might take a few days until we can provide an updated version of the GUI wallet, yet the network benefits from the changes in 2.6.1

"no working GUI wallet" is not a non-starter for Poloniex's consideration, e.g. Monero still doesn't have a reference implementation at this point, neither do a lot of the Cryptonote forks and even Ethereum itself started out with no user interface.

Our statistics show that Bittrex holds ~80% of the available supply and the majority of hashpower is pointed to pools, solo miners and people holding coins in their wallets are very few. Solo miners are usually capable of handling CLI based transactions very well. Additionally using the command line interface for GShift can be learned in a matter of minutes and we offered to help users live in Slack.

We carefully considered all that and decided to go ahead, since the advantages for the whole of our community and the network would outweigh the disadvantages of a few people.

As stated earlier, the new release of the GUI wallet is already in beta testing, transactions are working, there are just a few minor details to iron out.

If you are depending on the GUI to send or receive, you will be able to do so again very soon!

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Last major change 'broke the GUI wallet?'. You seemed to have dumped this to the bottom of the 'ta doo' list.  Isn't "no working GUI wallet" a non starter for miners or Poloniex?  I understand you have big things going, but if you can't take care of the basics, won't your following (miners/Poloniex and others) go elsewhere?
You don't think a working GUI wallet is a minimum requirement for Poloniex and/or miners?
It's great to introduce new and better, but if you can't hold you base, does it do any good?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Please excuse the beginner, are you an independant coin (fuzzy definition), or a sidechain of ETH. Please don't try to confuse me, start your answer with YES or NO. Any (or no answer) without this means YES (not as if that would be a good/bad thing), just trying to understand.
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
The new shiftpool doesnt work with Claymore

http://shf.miners-zone.net:58888

GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

timeout /t 4

EthDcrMiner64.exe -mode 0 -esm 0 -dbg -1 -allcoins 1 -epool http://shf.miners-zone.net:58888/0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791/1 -ewal 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791 -eworker 1 -epsw x -dcri 30 -dpool stratum+tcp://dcr.suprnova.cc:2252 -dwal billyboy402.1 -dpsw x  -dcri 35

pause

But this work

In the fail over - try to add these

POOL: shift.mskpool.ru:7007/0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791/1, WALLET: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, PSW: YourWorkerPass, WORKER: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, ESM: 2, ALLPOOLS: 1

POOL: shiftst.geilidao.com:6001/0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791/1, WALLET: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, PSW: YourWorkerPass, WORKER: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, ESM: 2, ALLPOOLS: 1

shift.mskpool.ru:7007

GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

timeout /t 4

EthDcrMiner64.exe -mode 0 -esm 0 -dbg -1 -allcoins 1 -epool shift.mskpool.ru:7007/0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791/1 -ewal 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791 -eworker 1 -epsw x -dcri 30 -dpool stratum+tcp://dcr.suprnova.cc:2252 -dwal billyboy402.1 -dpsw x  -dcri 35

pause

Code:
POOL: shift.mskpool.ru:7007/0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791/1, WALLET: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, PSW: YourWorkerPass, WORKER: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, ESM: 2, ALLPOOLS: 1

POOL: shiftst.geilidao.com:6001/0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791/1, WALLET: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, PSW: YourWorkerPass, WORKER: 0x672802ff35dd0db6288678557458f3374fc9b791, ESM: 2, ALLPOOLS: 1
Our new GUI wallet is coming today, it's standalone and so no longer needs Gshift to be started separately Smiley CLI haters are happy!
Jump to: