Author

Topic: [ANN][SHIFT] The New Web | IPFS/Phantom | ShiftNrg.org Hosted Decentralized! - page 265. (Read 547569 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Currently there is a supply of 72,998,905 Ether. This is the 60,000,000 from the IPO + 12,000,000 for foundation/development/contributor rewards + about a million from mining since Frontier got its start. Now from mining, assuming the 15 second block target holds, we get an annual inflation of 10,519,200 Ether (5760 blocks/day * 5 ether per block * 365.25). So only if Ether mining continued for 7 years would mining rewards surpass its premine. But then there's this, scroll down to Difficulty adjustment scheme: https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/08/04/ethereum-protocol-update-1/

At Ethereum block 200,000 (under 9 hours away as of writing) the difficulty starts to increase little by little beyond the nethashrate's target. This scheme is to freeze out the network to allow it to switch to proof-of-stake. I haven't read if block target or reward will change at the PoS changeover, but if it stays the same it will still take just under 7 years for the Ethereum network's mining/staking rewards to match the 72 million Ether premine.

Thanks for that interesting info.

How about creating a block explorer API answer that tells http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/shift/ about the current supply.
Right now CMC says
whats the current supply if im not wrong there is 18k in new coins everyday.
As of this typing, we are at 24,408. So, 24,408 x 3 = 73,224 approximately, that's not including uncles...

Please help me to see through my confusion *g*

Thanks!

You can easily calculate the current supply by taking the number of blocks and multiplying by 3 (block reward).

A "better" block explorer is in development, however does not have top priority right now.

SHF does not have the same inflation / distribution scheme as ETH. I don't know much about Ethereum, but SHIFT has a static 3 coin reward while ETH has 15 (??). As of my reply, there are ~80k SHF mined.

This will continue until there are at least 2 mill coins mined, thus the statement in the op. After 2 mill coins are in circulation, holders will be able to vote about future distribution, i.e. switch to full pos, continue pow or a pow-pos hybrid.

Therefore your question of max total coins cannot be answered at the moment.

Hope that cleared it up Smiley
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
Anyone know, is it safe to withdraw from supernova now?

Just try it, i'm watching payouts - i'll re-send if it fails.

I've sent all I could send to the ShiftTeam and they are working on the issue currently.
Pending on Bittrex now 14/120.
Thank you!
Activity: 583
Merit: 500

I've sent all I could send to the ShiftTeam and they are working on the issue currently.

Thanks for the update on that.
legendary
Activity: 902
Merit: 1001
Free trial of #AltFolio = save time, react faster
Currently there is a supply of 72,998,905 Ether. This is the 60,000,000 from the IPO + 12,000,000 for foundation/development/contributor rewards + about a million from mining since Frontier got its start. Now from mining, assuming the 15 second block target holds, we get an annual inflation of 10,519,200 Ether (5760 blocks/day * 5 ether per block * 365.25). So only if Ether mining continued for 7 years would mining rewards surpass its premine. But then there's this, scroll down to Difficulty adjustment scheme: https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/08/04/ethereum-protocol-update-1/

At Ethereum block 200,000 (under 9 hours away as of writing) the difficulty starts to increase little by little beyond the nethashrate's target. This scheme is to freeze out the network to allow it to switch to proof-of-stake. I haven't read if block target or reward will change at the PoS changeover, but if it stays the same it will still take just under 7 years for the Ethereum network's mining/staking rewards to match the 72 million Ether premine.

Thanks for that interesting info.

How about creating a block explorer API answer that tells http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/shift/ about the current supply.
Right now CMC says
whats the current supply if im not wrong there is 18k in new coins everyday.
As of this typing, we are at 24,408. So, 24,408 x 3 = 73,224 approximately, that's not including uncles...

Please help me to see through my confusion *g*

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1240

Activity: 583
Merit: 500
Why then people are so eager to invest into ethereum despite such horrendous premine? It looks like buying ethereum now is some madness.

It's confused me as well to be honest. I don't think many speculators or investors understand what Ethereum is for, it's all hype at this point in my opinion.

It's all hype indeed, and you will see more and more ETH clones coming in the future.

yea given the press hype from the ipo that would make people to join the train, it would be funny to see shift take some of that hype just because is the first clone.
Activity: 308
Why then people are so eager to invest into ethereum despite such horrendous premine? It looks like buying ethereum now is some madness.

It's confused me as well to be honest. I don't think many speculators or investors understand what Ethereum is for, it's all hype at this point in my opinion.

It's all hype indeed, and you will see more and more ETH clones coming in the future.
Activity: 250
Activity: 360
Token

Ethereum has lots of promise but because it's open source, a project like Shift can fork it and setup a network with equivalent abilities. The main reason I can think of for using Ethereum exclusively for a dapp is if the application benefits from interacting with other parties' dapps on the same network.  A secondary benefit from piling into one network would be an assumption of price stability for its value token because of higher market volume.  A second or many Ethereum-based networks provides room for innovation (see Bitcoin vs alts), cost competition (cheaper gas price on Shift could lower gas cost on Ethereum's network), and many other positive effects.
Activity: 428
Inactivity: 8963
Token

I think for this reason a healthy fork of Ethereum such as (maybe) Shift will make a healthier ecosystem for this type of network. It's a good selling point for Shift too.
Activity: 483
Merit: 510
The Shift Team
Well, you are right, my bad. I just noticed number of blocks. At first moment i looked at Net Hashrate displayed at suprnova. Nevertheless more pools would be nice. If i am not mistaken current ethereum pools could be relatively easy forked and changed into shift pools. Am i right?

This is correct. Would take about 20 mins of work. But since we are experience the above bug maybe this is not the best time for lifting new pools.
Well, you are right, my bad. I just noticed number of blocks. At first moment i looked at Net Hashrate displayed at suprnova. Nevertheless more pools would be nice. If i am not mistaken current ethereum pools could be relatively easy forked and changed into shift pools. Am i right?
The Shift Team
ShiftTeam, is the long term goal to provide a platform equal to Ethereum as far as its decentralized application feature? I ask because I see your twitter name is "shiftcurrency." The Ethereum project has done their best to present Ether as a token of value for their network, putting the focus on the network's application abilities rather than its ability to transmit its token or currency from one account to another, which the thousands of cryptocurrencies out there are all capable of doing.

This is exactly our aim and will be more clear in our mission statement that will come. The whole idea behind shift is to pay bountys for Shift nodes and for pushing dapps onto the shift network, That is the whole idea since we got started. Right now we are, and have experienced some issues with bugs in ethereum core which have taken a toll on the development team not being able to focus on the above things, but instead have to spend alot of time error searching. However, there is no other way to do this, we must have a solid base to stand upon, the bugs must be fixed first. Right now there is a issue that transactions gets inserted into THE LOCAL (not global) transaction database that should not be there, which makes transactions hard to verify. Ocminer are experiencing some problems with this.

Kind regards
Activity: 425
One pool and all hashpower in it.

No
net hashrate on pool counts only pool speed, w/o solo miners etc
Hix
legendary
Activity: 1971
Merit: 1036
I have to say that decentralization is pretty bad at the moment Sad   One pool and all hashpower in it. Seriously?
We need more pools if this project have to thrive.
91 blocks per hour it is only 35-40% from all blocks.
Token
ShiftTeam, is the long term goal to provide a platform equal to Ethereum as far as its decentralized application feature? I ask because I see your twitter name is "shiftcurrency." The Ethereum project has done their best to present Ether as a token of value for their network, putting the focus on the network's application abilities rather than its ability to transmit its token or currency from one account to another, which the thousands of cryptocurrencies out there are all capable of doing.

I have to say that decentralization is pretty bad at the moment Sad   One pool and all hashpower in it. Seriously?
We need more pools if this project have to thrive.
The Shift Team
http://www.mydocker.xyz:8000/ does not support address search (yet)

I can give you a heads up regarding development. We are currently implementing a SQL-backend to work parallel with leveldb and in future completely replace leveldb. By this you can pretty much take any blockexplorer on github and convert it. This might help possibility to establish a more solid version than the ones currently existing as open source for ethereum. We have asked to be added on existing explorers, but no luck.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
8b 16b DEMOSCENE FTW
Jump to: