Author

Topic: [ANN]Spectrecoin[XSPEC] TOR+OBFS4, Ring Sig, Stealth! - page 107. (Read 94854 times)

legendary
Activity: 1019
Merit: 1001
Spectreproject Community Manager
Spectreproject News Letter for Week ending Saturday September 16,2017

Wow the days are moving faster. I know many of you , including me, and some of your relatives were involved in Irma. We’re still cleaning up and fixing things as we’re able.

Now on to the numbers
- Ending Saturday we added 44 members but it seems 13 were the pesky spammers. We exchanged over 71,000 messages but again would need to eliminate the spammers dm’s.

Dev’s nuts and bolts - Looks like things are settling down after the v1.3 releases and bug cleanups. And the minority that use Macs now have a solid client. Instructions for the linux build was included as well.

It appears that the translations are close to coming to the website and we look forward to that. With the turmoil in other countries I’m sure Spectrecoin will be well received.

The announcement made by Mandica about the forthcoming sponsored article in CCN was a great surprise and it came out in time to make this edition. And here it is!   Cryptocoins News

It appears we have gained some more new members and as always they’re eager to help!
Please research the past few weeks to see many of the things in progress and contact @beachguy (myself) , @jbg or @spectreproject (mandica) if you feel there’s something else.
Keep in mind the community works within a budget that keeps us from doing everything “right now” but there are things in progress….like the translations and upcoming v1.4 Client with a brand new shiny user interface.

Thank you all as always for your patience as The Spectreproject evolves.

Beachguy
Activity: 1330
Merit: 515
Coin Mage
I was wondering what the advantages of Spectre are compared to DeepOnion? Both coins seem to use the TOR network and are mainly focusing on stealth or at least privacy and private transactions. Why should I use XSPEC instead DeepOnion?

Take a look in the wiki here: http://coinwiki.info/en/SpectreCoin#DeepOnion
Activity: 490
Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
Because xspec also has OBFS4, which get around the great firewall of China and other tor blocked countries. And the devs aren't holding 50% of the supply. Amongst many other reasons.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
I was wondering what the advantages of Spectre are compared to DeepOnion? Both coins seem to use the TOR network and are mainly focusing on stealth or at least privacy and private transactions. Why should I use XSPEC instead DeepOnion?
Activity: 420
Merit: 105
Thank you very much for your help Smiley I will join the slack as well
Coin Mage
My dear friends, I have created a little FAQ for you that covers the most frequently asked questions here:

• My balance is zero!
  • I can't sync!
  • How do I stake?

https://github.com/bitcoinx2/spectre/wiki/FAQ

Hope that helps, feedback is very welcome. I will extend this FAQ as more details become relevant, or more questions are raised.
Coin Mage
mhh my wallet is showing a zero balance altough i stake with my initial balance???
Restarted a few times now but all the same. Every time a zero balance.....
Anyone an idea what i can do?

Yes we are answering this question every day in #client_support, so please come to Slack so that dev can learn about possible problems and fix them! And you will get help as well.

=> https://slack.spectreproject.io/
Activity: 490
Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
Try to resync your connection.
Activity: 420
mhh my wallet is showing a zero balance altough i stake with my initial balance???
Restarted a few times now but all the same. Every time a zero balance.....
Anyone an idea what i can do?
Coin Mage
Activity: 1274
where can I get node list?
Coin Mage
Hello,
There "0 active connections to SpectreCoin network" popup in my wallet.
Should I use node list?

See my answer above. Come to slack, give your debug.log, also give it some time and yes you might try using a node list.

If you people share your problem in Slack that helps us to debug the problem, and avoid it in future versions.
Activity: 1274
Hello,
There "0 active connections to SpectreCoin network" popup in my wallet.
Should I use node list?
Coin Mage
Hi guys, I just downloaded the new v1.3.3 Mac wallet. But I can't sync yet.
Who can help? Thank u.

Come to Slack to #client_support, share your debug.log. Also consider the wallet syncing guide in my signature. If you just downloaded the wallet, it should work. Maybe give it some time.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 568
Hi guys, I just downloaded the new v1.3.3 Mac wallet. But I can't sync yet.
Who can help? Thank u.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 568
Activity: 693
Merit: 508
Coin Mage
@mandica, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!  Smiley Looking forward to the whitepaper. Using key-pairs for tokens sounds pretty exciting tbh. Cool

For the non-technical, this means that the ring signature system uses notes/bills of fixed value right now, just like cash. And each single note has its own public key attached. And you don't spend your balance by a wallet address, but by knowing the private keys for the "spectre tokens" you own. Plus, you actually rather own some bills from a bigger pool of cash that belongs to multiple people.  Wink Kind of like that.  Cheesy
Activity: 693
Merit: 508
I think there are some misunderstanding about two things:

1. A stealth address is just a way to be able to avoid reusing the same 'normal' address more than once. You can, for example, publish your stealth address and receive many payments but the payments can not be linked as they will each appear on the blockchain as belonging to different 'normal' addresses. So, every time you send to a stealth address, a new 'normal' address is generated. Thats really all it does.

The following is an extract to explain how a 'stealth' transaction work.

Code:
The Anatomy of a ‘Stealth Payment’
1. As the beneficiary of funds you publish a spending PubKey (which is the ‘stealth address’ generated by your wallet or by using the getnewstealthaddress RPC call in the command console. You keep the associated spend Key secret.
2. As a sender, you will combine the spending PubKey, with an ephemere (transitory or temporary) random key called Ephem Key that will generate a Stealth PubKey and also a Spectrecoin address to which to pay the agreed amount.
3. As the beneficiary you will receive the Ephem PubKey and you will combine your Spend Key to retrieve the Stealth Key to spend the funds sent to the generated Spectrecoin address.

However, there is a fundamental issue to overcome in this process as there is no automatic way to send the Ephem PubKey from sender to beneficiary.
The solution is to include the Ephem PubKey in the same transaction that send the funds to the Spectrecoin Address. In this transaction two TxOut will be generated: The payment to the Spectrecoin Address (Spendable output) and an unspendable TxOut with the Ephem key embedded in it. We call such unspendable TxOut the Stealth Metadata and the pair of TxOut a Stealth Payment.

4. Then as the beneficiary you will scan all the transactions with such Stealth Payments on the Spectrecoin network and extract the Ephem PubKey and then you will generate the Stealth Key and check if it’s address match the one in the spendable output.

As a beneficiary you want to automate scanning for incoming payments. However, you don’t want to expose the secret Spend Key as that would enable a malicious actor to steal your coins.
The solution is to introduce a Scan Key that will be used to generate and scan the Stealth PubKey. In this way the scanner will be able to report your balance by scanning the blockchain without the need of the Spend Key.
However, now the sender need two pieces of information to pay you : The Scan PubKey + the Spend PubKey and both these two are derivable from the ‘Stealth address’ you publicly share.

2. A traceable ring signature prevents double-spend with regards to the anonymous 'spectre tokens', simple as. It's the word 'traceable' that is confusing but it does not identify the user. Also, bear in mind that the key-pairs that are used for the ring signatures belong to the 'tokens' and not the user. The variant of the ring signature will 'identify' a 'token' that is already spent if there is an attempt to use the same 'token' again.

Does that make sense? The white paper will have some illustrations as well to hopefully make it clearer.

Coin Mage
Bitcoin problem - Address reuse
Bitcoin addresses were never meant to be used twice and the fact that they can is a ‘fluke’ in the system. There are 1.46 × 10^48 possible bitcoin addresses, which gives every person on Earth 2.05×10^38 different addresses to use if needs be. When addresses are reused, all other transactions performed by that address can be seen by examining the block chain. Address reuse also reduces the security of the bitcoins stored in those addresses. Transaction signing requires 256 bytes of random data (r­value) so that the private key cannot be reverse engineered. If the r­value is not truly random then the private key can be determined, which can be used to sign other transactions for that particular bitcoin address. This attack can be negated by not reusing addresses, as once a transaction is signed from a bitcoin address, it remains empty.
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/25814/ecdsa%C2%ADsignature%C2%ADand%C2%ADthe%C2%ADz%C2%ADvalue

Solution in XSPEC – Dual Key Stealth Addresses
The basic principal with stealth addresses is to avoid address reuse. With a stealth address you can publish ONE stealth address and every payment made to that stealth address will appears as being received by a different ‘normal’ address.
http://sx.dyne.org/stealth.html

But this for receiving, right? While the first case for Bitcoin was about sending coins. In the linked article, it says:

XSPEC takes this one step further by introducing anonymous ‘spectre tokens’ and introduce transactions signed by what is known as traceable ring-signatures. Do not let the word ‘traceable’ fool you, it simply means that once a transaction has been signed it will be impossible to use the same signature / ‘spectre token’ again.
https://eprint.iacr.org/2006/389.pdf

Wikipedia:
Linkable ring signatures
    [4] The property of linkability allows one to determine whether any two signatures have been produced by the same member (under the same private key). The identity of the signer is nevertheless preserved. One of the possible applications can be an offline e-cash system.
Traceable ring signature
    [5] In addition to the previous scheme the public key of the signer is revealed (if they issue more than one signatures under the same private key). An e-voting system can be implemented using this protocol.

So according to this, a linkable ring signature would be enough? It explicitly mentions the e-cash application. How does traceability help? It could even be used to deanonymize nodes by tricking them into doing the same signature twice.

Thanks for your work, but if you are making technical arguments they should be sound. Smiley
Jump to: