Author

Topic: [ANN]Spectrecoin[XSPEC] TOR+OBFS4, Ring Sig, Stealth! - page 110. (Read 94854 times)

Activity: 256
Merit: 100
My question was whether there is an increased risk to reward for leaving a wallet (not device) open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time.  I realize now that my question was not relevant to the original quote, as it does not pertain to the risk of keeping the device connected to the internet.  The proper context for my question is, if the device is kept connected to the internet 24/7 anyway (which mine is), is there higher risk to reward associated with keeping the wallet open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time?  (And if so, how?)

I think I answered this at some point. Is there anything you're still missing from that answer?

You gave a pretty well rounded answer, thank you for that.  Though, it, too, seems to address device risk more than the risk to reward ratio of keeping the wallet open for staking 24/7 (in the context of a device that is kept connected to the internet 24/7 anyway, for reasons other than staking).  If there is a hack attack or malware infection, seems to me that can happen at any time that the wallet is staking, even if it is only staking, say, one hour per day.  And, although obviously the risk from hacking or malware increases the longer the wallet is kept open, so do the staking rewards - hence why the question is about risk/reward ratio, not just increased risk.

About the only thing you mentioned that seemed to me to pose increased risk vs. reward, is the possibility of the device, with the wallet on it, being stolen; the risk of burglary is certainly higher at certain times of the day (or night).  Though, during staking the wallet is unlocked for staking only, and if I am not mistaken, the pass phrase would still be needed in order to access the funds on the wallet.  Is there a possibility that a thief could quickly bypass the pass phrase through hacking?  Seems to me that if one keeps a recent copy of the wallet.dat on file (on a different device or medium, stored in a separate location), one's funds would be pretty secure even in the event that the device is stolen without an interruption of the power supply, even while the wallet is unlocked for staking - but I am no tech expert by any means.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
DeepOnions for the WIN!
hmmm, I see this coin also uses the TOR network. When making a payment with SpectreCoin, is the following visible?

1. The IP the wallet is running on
2. Is the transaction visible on the Spectre coin blockchain?
Activity: 1330
Merit: 515
Coin Mage
My question was whether there is an increased risk to reward for leaving a wallet (not device) open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time.  I realize now that my question was not relevant to the original quote, as it does not pertain to the risk of keeping the device connected to the internet.  The proper context for my question is, if the device is kept connected to the internet 24/7 anyway (which mine is), is there higher risk to reward associated with keeping the wallet open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time?  (And if so, how?)

I think I answered this at some point. Is there anything you're still missing from that answer?

The thing is, development does not only mean writing new code that could be committed. Often it is about debugging code, experimenting, refactoring. Things that cannot be easily committed until everything fits together. The "zero balance" bug that is currently being worked on is a typical example of such case.
Activity: 149
Merit: 10

Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky

This is not the first time I have seen this claim, with regard to staking.  Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Because, even if there is risk associated with having a wallet open for staking (despite it being password protected against hacking), that risk is present any time the wallet is open for staking, even if just part time.  While I understand that the less time a device is connected and a wallet is staking, the lower the risk, I also understand that the reward is likewise lower.

So, what really matters is the risk to reward ratio.  Does that ratio increase when the wallet is left open for staking 24/7, and if so, how?

Can anybody answer to that please? Cheesy I am also really interested in that.. cause i am thinking about buying an homeserver for staking several coins...
thank you
The first quote already contains the answer, I do not understand why it was cut. See the 1st complete quote.

"Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky, if we consider that we must take risks to live every day,
well what follows is obvious: you must reasonably worry about the safety of your device."

To continue with the topic of security there are many other forums. Or just make a new post here.
This post ends here. If you quote this again it will be removed.

I guess the original quote was about leaving a device (i.e. laptop) connected 24/7, in other words keeping it connected just for staking as opposed to staking only when one has the device connected for other uses.

Coin Mage
Is is possible to stake under Linux without using a gui wallet? That would be great, because I would safe a lot of energy when shutting down my desktop computer. I also have a virtual server which is idling most of the time. If it's possible. Could someone please share a hudide or how to for accomplishing that?

Yes. I've explained it earlier in this thread. Wink See below.

Is there a guide out there for staking with an Unix operating system via bash in the background? I don't want to run a desktop PC or emulate a virtual machine for running a normal GUI wallet.

This way I would safe energy, because I could shut down my computer at night and migrate staking tasks to my root server which is is idling most of its time.

You probably want to use a terminal multiplexer of your choice (see https://askubuntu.com/questions/8653/how-to-keep-processes-running-after-ending-ssh-session).

Then build spectrecoind using the instructions found in doc/build-unix.txt in the Github repository (https://github.com/spectrecoin/spectre) and start it. Afaik it should be staking by default if you keep it running.
Activity: 509
Merit: 250
Disrupt the banking system!
Is is possible to stake under Linux without using a gui wallet? That would be great, because I would safe a lot of energy when shutting down my desktop computer. I also have a virtual server which is idling most of the time. If it's possible. Could someone please share a hudide or how to for accomplishing that?
Activity: 263
Merit: 101
Leo Bitman

This is not the first time I have seen this claim, with regard to staking.  Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Because, even if there is risk associated with having a wallet open for staking (despite it being password protected against hacking), that risk is present any time the wallet is open for staking, even if just part time.  While I understand that the less time a device is connected and a wallet is staking, the lower the risk, I also understand that the reward is likewise lower.

So, what really matters is the risk to reward ratio.  Does that ratio increase when the wallet is left open for staking 24/7, and if so, how?

Can anybody answer to that please? Cheesy I am also really interested in that.. cause i am thinking about buying an homeserver for staking several coins...
thank you
The first quote already contains the answer, I do not understand why it was cut. See the 1st complete quote.

"Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky, if we consider that we must take risks to live every day,
well what follows is obvious: you must reasonably worry about the safety of your device."

To continue with the topic of security there are many other forums. Or just make a new post here.
This post ends here. If you quote this again it will be removed.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Mining look really interesting for the result. but it is also need a huge resources to do it.
Good luck miners.
I will participate on your bounty campaign if i am qualified. For now, Let me watch this thread for more updates. Thank you

hey how can i participate in your bounty compaign?

There is no bounty campaign that I am aware of.  The signatures are volunteer only, no one is getting paid to use them.
Activity: 174
Merit: 103

No bounty for bounty hunters! If you like the coin, go to cryptopia and buy some.  Wink
Activity: 224
Activity: 4
Hi guys, just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.  New to the forums but not super-new to crypto.  Keeping an eye on XSPEC and holding a little bit.  Like some others have mentioned, I'm a bit concerned about how top-heavy the coin distribution might be but at the same time I really like the tech behind XSPEC as well as the niche it has carved out among other privacy coins.  I am looking forward to new updates over the coming months!
Activity: 420
Merit: 105

This is not the first time I have seen this claim, with regard to staking.  Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Because, even if there is risk associated with having a wallet open for staking (despite it being password protected against hacking), that risk is present any time the wallet is open for staking, even if just part time.  While I understand that the less time a device is connected and a wallet is staking, the lower the risk, I also understand that the reward is likewise lower.

So, what really matters is the risk to reward ratio.  Does that ratio increase when the wallet is left open for staking 24/7, and if so, how?

thank you
Activity: 89
I will participate on your bounty campaign if i am qualified. For now, Let me watch this thread for more updates. Thank you
Thanks for the hint HippiePyro! That's something I can work with. I'll do the adjustments later.
Activity: 490
Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
I don't think you can have the same as beachguy because he has legendary status, which gives you more space for your sig.
The original signature can be found here in the old ANN thread. You will have to change the link inside tho to the new one. I changed some text for mine as well.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xspec-spectrecoin-untraceable-tx-ring-signatures-tor-integration-1704473
Could someone please help me with the Spectre signature? Beachguy has a signature I'd like to have too, but I'm unable to get it to work. He sent the signature to me
via PM but without using the "insert code" button. I checked the source code and tried with copy&paste, but the results were only garbage.
I really like this coin and would like to support it beyond bying it. Can someone help please?

Beste regards,
Zackie
Coin Mage
Activity: 263
Merit: 101
Leo Bitman
How much did they overall collect during the ICO?
I think only like $20,000 USD. https://icostats.com/roi-since-ico has the ICO price as $0.001 × 20M coins.
Comparing then it was collected 20,000 times more than in the ICO of Bitcoin, and now Bitcoin very healthy.
I'm detecting here some whales, wanting to lower the price to buy cheaper. It is licit but unethical.
This harms the whole community, because it reduces the possibility of financing the project,
and also generates distrust without necessity.

Jump to: