Author

Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite - NEW Thread | 1st mini-blockchain coin | Bounties! - page 157. (Read 215666 times)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10
@gnasirator: your ideas are interesting, but to create a block you will still need to solve some kind of "problem", otherwise you would have a lot of blocks created together and no way to tell which one to keep. Also every time a transaction is made, the nodes would generate a block, making too many of them.

Interesting ideas indeed, but wrong solution to the problems, which are, as Gnasirator says:

1  Energy consumption
2  Poor distribution

The best solution which I have discovered so far appears to  be Proof of Capacity, as implemented in Burstcoin.

I'd be genuinely interested to know what you think of that protocol, and whether or not it may be technically feasible to incorporate it into a mini-blockchain coin.  

Hmm, PoC is interesting, too. But it fails to address the problem I'm trying to solve:
Whatever scarce resource we take for mining, sooner or later there will be one entity having most of it and therefore dominating the whole mining scene. PoC will lead to someone having MASSIVE datacenters full of old-fashioned mechanical hard drives - well at least it wouldn't use as much energy as PoW.
PoS is the same - whoever has the biggest share of money at one point generates most income. It's actually even worse because the rewards are completely independent of any contribution to the network (transaction processing).

My point was that instead of searching for a better scarce resource, we should take the incentive away which is leading to this concentration of resources in the first place, by changing the reward system. As long as there are rewards encouraging people to somehow get more of a share than others, there will be someone figuring out a way how to do it.

So instead, the new reward system would have to pay all participants in a predictable way based on useful contribution to the network. And the only actually useful contribution to the network is processing of new transactions, managing account databases and maybe acting as a block explorer - all of which doesn't use much resources at all. That's what it's about and that's what should be rewarded. So whoever helps with that processing, gets a reward proportional to created value in the network. And that proportion could just as well be the same number as every other participant gets, because just by being online and forwarding/processing transactions, he's helping the network.
This way, there will be no incentive for anyone to throw more resources into the game because there's nothing to gain for him - just as there wouldn't be any benefit for the network! Still, he would have an incentive to stay online and contribute because otherwise, he'll get nothing. This sort of mining should easily run in the background, using 1-2% of cpu time max. Same goes for network usage because there would suddenly be a lot more miners as there are now, simply because it has suddenly become cheap to run a miner. This would allow the network to grow and make the coin actually useable as real money.

I'm convinced that whichever coin ends up being "the one coin" for everybody to use, it would have to use a mining approach that somewhat resembles these ideas.

There is one downside to this approach though:
It wouldn't be possible any more to jump at a fresh alt coin and generate some quick buck with your high-spec mining gear. But for that, we have plenty of regular coins out there Smiley

edit: I might add that a hybrid PoS / Proof-of-Contribution (above) might also be good. I do like the idea of stakeholders being vested in the currency and therefore trying to keep harm from the system.
Revisiting this discussion...

Though I am new to this game, I am seeing some problems already not only with XCN, but with most others. As mentioned above along with business continuity and I do dare say, regulation. Coming for the security space, I am seeing way too many vulnerabilities present for any one coin to have a long prosper life in being accepted by the general public and governments.
I do like some of XCN's innovations and theories, but the execution seemed to have fallen short. Not saying XCN is a bad coin, not at all, I actually do like it; this is more of a matter of how these coins are developed, much like developing an online game system.
I would like to see a coin though become more accepted by the general public and I think to do so requires some governance (I know, its a bad word...).
The discussion above is one of the points I that I find very interesting. Mining is fun and I think people would be quite interested in doing so, but then need to provide the even playing field to prevent influencing or control by those who have the infrastructure already. Quite the challenge, but I think there are means to allow for this.

I would like to discuss this more if there is particular place/thread for this, assuming there is mutual interests.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
Hi pallas,

I just had a wallet crash (with txindex 1).
This is all I got out of it. I didn't attach my memdump, don't know whether it contains any wallet info.

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1375952

I can't read the file, could you please put it into pastebin or mega?
Activity: 175
Merit: 113
Hi pallas,

I just had a wallet crash (with txindex 1).
This is all I got out of it. I didn't attach my memdump, don't know whether it contains any wallet info.

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1375952
legendary
Black Belt Developer
NEW cpu miner compiled (from 1gh sources) for windows64 by hashgoal:
Cpuminer for windows

Hi Pallas.
Thank you.

I want to find out: is there is any way to set the diffculty (may using diff factor) either on djm's ccminer or this cpuminer, when mining on suprnova?

Thanks

Not that I know of. It is usually done by putting the diff value into the worker or password fields in some way, but I believe it is not implemented into xcn.suprnova right now.
Maybe you could ask ocminer, cause it depends entirely on the pool.
Diff factor or divider is another thing, it just changes the way difficulty from the pool is used, but it doesn't affect its "absolute" value.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Does ocminer know about the suprnova pool (trying to figure why you said to ask him)?

He is the pool owner.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Cpuminer for windows

Hi Pallas.
Thank you.

I want to find out: is there is any way to set the diffculty (may using diff factor) either on djm's ccminer or this cpuminer, when mining on suprnova?

Thanks

Not that I know of. It is usually done by putting the diff value into the worker or password fields in some way, but I believe it is not implemented into xcn.suprnova right now.
Diff factor or divider is another thing, it just changes the way difficulty from the pool is used, but it doesn't affect its "absolute" value.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Does ocminer know about the suprnova pool (trying to figure why you said to ask him)?
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Cpuminer for windows

Hi Pallas.
Thank you.

Thanks

Cpuminer for windows

Hi Pallas.
Thank you.

Thanks
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Cpuminer for windows
legendary
Black Belt Developer

Finally, I found block, but there is an issue with nonce distribution across rigs - it seems, that they are brutforcing against the same nonces

Forgot to reply you on this one.
Getwork is less flexible than getblocktemplate about multiple miners.
You can still use some techniques like ntime rolling, in order to avoid crunching the same blockheader on every worker.
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Finally, I found block, but there is an issue with nonce distribution across rigs - it seems, that they are brutforcing against the same nonces

Curious, how do you know when you have a block ready for mining?
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Hi Pallas, George and everyone here.

So I just got this free subscription on Azure. and I decided to whip up a instance with 4 K80 GPUs (2 per card).
It had 4992 cores, 5000MHz memspeed, and 480 GB/s bandwidth, 24GB video memory on each card.
I just wanted to determine what they will give.

But I am shocked I am getting less  than 24MH/s. Each GPU die is more powerful than a 1070 (in all the numbers), so I should have at least 40MH/s (even the worst 1070 here gave 10MH/s)

How can I optimise that? What I am not getting right?

The card is Compute 3.7 and I am using djm34 CUDA miner on Windows.

Thanks for all your help.

EDIT: OR does it have anything to do with setting the vardiff on Suprnova

It is an old architecture, also probably lower core clock (memclock matters very little).
When they will update to pascal based cards it might be interesting to try cloud gpu mining.

Thank you for your reply.

core clock is 875MHz and I set it on max.

the 1070 runs at double that :-)

So I just got this free subscription on Azure. and I decided to whip up a instance with 4 K80 GPUs (2 per card).
It had 4992 cores, 5000MHz memspeed, and 480 GB/s bandwidth, 24GB video memory on each card.

But I am shocked I am getting less  than 24MH/s. Each GPU die is more powerful than a 1070 (in all the numbers), so I should have at least 40MH/s (even the worst 1070 here gave 10MH/s)

It is an old architecture, also probably lower core clock (memclock matters very little).
When they will update to pascal based cards it might be interesting to try cloud gpu mining.

Thank you for your reply.

core clock is 875MHz and I set it on max.
legendary
Black Belt Developer

legendary
Black Belt Developer
any windows wersion of new wallet?

the windows build available on the site should be up to date with github.
Activity: 56
any windows wersion of new wallet?
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Maybe you could try using --coinbase-sig or --coinbase-addr

EDIT: hmmm not sure they do anything on getwork.
Activity: 243
Merit: 105

Code:
cat /cluster/home/krnl/xcn/solo/ccminer-m7-branch/err_f1*|grep acc
[2017-06-26 19:43:38] accepted: 0/1 (0.00%), 132617 kh/s NO
[2017-06-26 19:43:38] accepted: 0/1 (0.00%), 132632 kh/s NO
[2017-06-26 19:43:38] accepted: 0/1 (0.00%), 132470 kh/s NO
[2017-06-26 19:43:38] accepted: 0/1 (0.00%), 130971 kh/s NO
[2017-06-26 19:43:38] accepted: 1/1 (100.00%), 131068 kh/s YES
[2017-06-26 19:43:38] accepted: 0/1 (0.00%), 132805 kh/s NO

6 rigs found solution simultaneously -(
Activity: 126
Merit: 14
Just 4 months, ten times the previous day, now at the bottom of the valley, through the XCN earned high profits

That's because BTC38.com  added  XCN-CNY trading .
Activity: 126
Merit: 14
Bter is scam, withdraws not working on any coin
Maybe just in maintaining.
Jump to: