Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 178. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1039
Well I am trying an email to Bitmain after all.

As the reject and discards.....I cant figure out what else I can try.

I figure they have cost me 4 BTC as a running total.....and their coupons are .02 what a joke.

Will let you guys know what I get back from them on what is the resolution....

Damn I wish I went with 7 S1s in stead.....well the poop is on me.....for taking a chance on a preorder.

By the way I reduced my discard to 1/3 from 1/2 by going to slush but its way too early to say that variance is not to explain that

As everything which is new- first are always guinea pigs for factory.
All the problems will be solved in batch 2 and 3

I did choose s1 instead s2 as they are still overpriced.
Thats why i got more than 1Th for less btc than s2

Sorry
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Watching.

M
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Has anyone tried the new firmware, yet?  Any idea what it's supposed to fix?

https://github.com/AntMiner/AntGen1/tree/master/firmware_S2

Just upgraded to the new firmware. Don't see any differences, still a very high discard rate...

That's about 6% discard rate.... It looks like you are the only one reporting this issue... check if everything is connected properly... What is your reported hash rate at your pool?

Well for me I determine that the discard was a problem by looking at the hashrate from the pools themselves......

S2 is running 45C not bad really.......

Well I am trying an email to Bitmain after all.

As the reject and discards.....I cant figure out what else I can try.

I figure they have cost me 4 BTC as a running total.....and their coupons are .02 what a joke.

Will let you guys know what I get back from them on what is the resolution....

Damn I wish I went with 7 S1s in stead.....well the poop is on me.....for taking a chance on a preorder.

By the way I reduced my discard to 1/3 from 1/2 by going to slush but its way too early to say that variance is not to explain that
Activity: 98

Just upgraded to the new firmware. Don't see any differences, still a very high discard rate...

That's about 6% discard rate.... It looks like you are the only one reporting this issue... check if everything is connected properly... What is your reported hash rate at your pool?
Activity: 11
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
Hopefully you guys get some coupons for your troubles  Roll Eyes

i need a coupons just for reading this thread! lol.
Activity: 42

cgminer still appears to be trying to communicate with 192.168.1.1 though, and I can't seem to find where to set that from the command line.

Edit this file:

Code:
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh

It's near the top, just enter your routers IP.  You'll need to start it after and it resets after a reboot.  You may need to stop it first, also.

Stop:

Code:
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh stop 

Start:

Code:
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh start
legendary
legendary
I think overclocking is going to be extremely limited, with four TPS53355 per board, or one for 16 chips. On the S1, it's one for 8 chips.

Thats the detail I've been waiting for Smiley   *really hoping for a PCB photo still*

The S1 could consume around 45W per group of 8 chips overclocked (overclocking pushed the regulator right to its limits, but the real limiting factor was the voltage being set to 1.1V - some people have apparently pencil-modded the S1 to almost 215GH/~470W, or about 60w/8 chips)  
45W/1.1V=40.9A on a 30A-rated component. (bitfury h-boards faced very similar amperage limits when overvolted around 0.95V)

Its likely these chips run at around 0.8V and 1000W/640chips is about 25W per cluster of 16.  That leaves a LOT of headroom on the regulators, but some of this is lost to the difference in voltage (more amperage).  25W/0.8V= 31.25A stock.

Presumably these should be able to overclock without any issues from the regulator. I imagine all other components are beefy enough also. I imagine you will hit hardware errors at 15-20% overclock as with the S1. These may even be capable of up to 1.5TH is voltage was increased to ~0.9V
0.75V unloaded, so a little higher than that on the current. Still some room and I'd expect people should be able to get 20-40% overclocks, but not the 100+% ones we might have been able to do with 8 chips per vrm.

I'm quite sure those puny heatsinks will not be enough when overclocked, 200Mhz+ will fry the chips unless some hefty cooling is applied!
If you want to overclock the BM chip, the S1 was made just for that!!

one way to add more cooling would be to replace the thermal paste with some geld extreme .. this will also reduce power consumption . copper heat sinks would probably work good as a replacement. i used copper heatsinks on the ram chips and replaced the thermal paste with geld extreme on the gpu's in my r9 290'x's ... any idea how big are the chips underneath those heatsinks ?? this trick would probably work on the S1's too .
Activity: 81
Before I head to the gym, here's the quick video of the initial boot with sound so you can hear the fans. http://youtu.be/sQYtbtsyKdU
legendary
Aaaaaaaaand here you go.

The Power supply keeps cutting out in 1 machine, I didn't have a spare PSU, so I removed 2 of the asic blades to bring down the power draw, we'll see if it stays alive tonight.

you can cool those chips several degrees if you add the small aluminum heatsinks to them. i added those aluminum heatsinks to my S1's and they are about 2 to 3 degrees cooler without any airflow. add airflow and they will cool even more. if were to use copper heatsinks would cool them down even more i think although i can't prove this because i have not tried copper heatsinks yet.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
BITMAIN: please put some Fragile stickers on the batch 2 orders before you ship them... they are obviously not as tough as the antminers.

Many thanks!

You're confused if you think shippers pay much attention to fragile stickers. You need to pack up the items so they don't get damaged from handling that doesn't damage the packaging.
Activity: 81
My S2 is working now!!

I noticed a chunk of glue(?) in the slot with the main card.  I removed it and reseated the card and now everything works!

http://imgur.com/a/D4xcV#1

I have some glue on mine too, but it didn't interfere, and there appears to be something under the glue as well. By the edge of the tab, it looks like its been partially cracked or added after the fact or something. The pictures didn't turn out great but you can at least see the glue on both sides. I'll take it out and snap another later tonight, but it works solidly so I'm going to ignore it for now.

---------

As for the fragile sticker, the only thing on the box besides the tracking/shipping label is a big blue sticker with a black D on it. Which I'm guessing is for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D that? but it just a D and nothing else.

It's just a rework of the board.  If you look closely, a trace has been cut and a jumper installed.  The hot glue is there to help keep the wire down and try to keep other stuff from snagging on the jumper wire.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
How did everyone change their IP for cgminer? I've edited the IP and gateway settings, and that seems to be fine.
Code:
antMiner login: root
Password:
root@antMiner:~# cd Restarting Cgminer daemon: killall: cgminer: no process killed
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

root@antMiner:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr C8:A0:30:BC:6F:AA
          inet addr:172.16.1.130  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1254 errors:0 dropped:314 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:74 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:406613 (397.0 KiB)  TX bytes:10488 (10.2 KiB)
          Interrupt:56

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:29 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:29 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1486 (1.4 KiB)  TX bytes:1486 (1.4 KiB)

root@antMiner:~# Restarting Cgminer daemon: killall: cgminer: no process killed
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

cgminer still appears to be trying to communicate with 192.168.1.1 though, and I can't seem to find where to set that from the command line.

Well I for one hope it fixes the reject rate 53% pool rej

Its bad enough paid a premium just to have to put it back together like a avalon clone after shipment.....

Tweaks to get it running after painstakingly putting it back together havent bothered to email bitmain they havent responded to me after they fubared a shipment back in february

Maybe their last harrah and pulling out of the market ....used power supply from their farm no less.

What a joke should have gone Dragon for 30% less at least I get paid to do all this extra shit

When you overpay for a minor every hash in first two weeks counts losing a ton of hashing like the shipment fubar in feb glad some of you have had good customer service perhaps I was too professional with them maybe I should have yelled like a little bitach

Well I for one hope it fixes the reject rate 53% pool rej

Its bad enough paid a premium just to have to put it back together like a avalon clone after shipment.....

Tweaks to get it running after painstakingly putting it back together havent bothered to email bitmain they havent responded to me after they fubared a shipment back in february

Maybe their last harrah and pulling out of the market ....used power supply from their farm no less.

What a joke should have gone Dragon for 30% less at least I get paid to do all this extra shit
Activity: 42

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
My S2 is working now!!

I noticed a chunk of glue(?) in the slot with the main card.  I removed it and reseated the card and now everything works!

http://imgur.com/a/D4xcV#1

I have some glue on mine too, but it didn't interfere, and there appears to be something under the glue as well. By the edge of the tab, it looks like its been partially cracked or added after the fact or something. The pictures didn't turn out great but you can at least see the glue on both sides. I'll take it out and snap another later tonight, but it works solidly so I'm going to ignore it for now.

---------

As for the fragile sticker, the only thing on the box besides the tracking/shipping label is a big blue sticker with a black D on it. Which I'm guessing is for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D that? but it just a D and nothing else.

It's just a rework of the board.  If you look closely, a trace has been cut and a jumper installed.  The hot glue is there to help keep the wire down and try to keep other stuff from snagging on the jumper wire.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
BITMAIN: please put some Fragile stickers on the batch 2 orders before you ship them... they are obviously not as tough as the antminers.

Many thanks!
Jump to: