Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 181. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 2742
Merit: 1181
ok, i ordered the Micro SD cards, going to pick up on way home...mine probably got corrupted when i rebooted..weird.

anyway, i need  a good image and if someone can tell me the proper way to install it on the micro SD card that would be great.

I dont know if it just a copy paste, which i doubt if its going to be bootable.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
I just need a good image and instructions on how to get it on the micro SD correctly

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

The Instructions should be the same for pushing the boot image.
legendary
I just need a good image and instructions on how to get it on the micro SD correctly
Activity: 434
Merit: 254
FYI I heard back from Bitmain - nice fast customer service.  A few relevant points:  (1) They are standing behind the products, and they promised to refund my trashed unit immediately (we will see how quickly that really happens, but hopeful), (2) they are letting me try to salvage Unit 1 from the control board in Unit 2 without voiding warranty (this was pursuant to authorization so maybe not a universal permission), and (3) they said that BATCH 2 units have a fix for the weak mounting of the boards, which they are aware of.

did you email them?  the info@ email?

Yes

Also they told me they would be posting the manual soon.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
-snip-

Power cycle was performed about 100 times until 5:30 am EST and slept for 1 hour before coming in to work now.

will purchase the SD card, just need someone to upload a good solid tested Firmware.

Are thee any size limitations on the Micro SD card i can use? or just try and find an 2GB one?

thanks!

Quick Google says up to 32gb no problem. 64gb maybe? The size really only limits your image+storage space. If the BBB is like a Pi, just pick up a class 10, write a boot image to the SD and then plug it in. I always pick up the class 10s, after when GoPros had the issues with any non-class 10s as well and then people instructed the same for when I got a RPi.

Waiting for delivery of my S2 now. Says should be here in the next 4 hours. Sigh the waiting game.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Mine was up and running, but i rebooted the S2 to see if it would accept some changes and now i have a blank blue led screen with a red light in the top right corner...it was wrorking fine a few hours ago.

why cant it get pat the POST bootup all of a sudden?

do a full power cycle with a few seconds to cool down and let the fans come to a stop. check if the SD and boards are all seated well.

ps: one of the biggest issues with bitfury was that when using low-grade (class 8 or less) SD cards, the raspberri pi had a terrible habit of always sending readéwrites to it that could cause corrupted files if the unit reboot or shut down unexpectedly. It is entirely possible that the SD card in a BBB can do the same if powered off without any shutdown or halt command.  If you can`t figure out the issue still, go and buy a high-quality SD card (microSD?) that is class 10 or better and load it up with the firmware to try that

if the result is the same, it at least rules out the SD card, which i otherwise imagine is a weak link

so simply inserting a new bootable Micro SD would do the trick?
is there a size limitation on the Micro SD card? it came with 2GB
sounds more and more like my above scenario. Go out and buy a high-end 4GB or 8GB card. it should cost you less than $15 and is a likely source of the issue

Power cycle was performed about 100 times until 5:30 am EST and slept for 1 hour before coming in to work now.

will purchase the SD card, just need someone to upload a good solid tested Firmware.

Are thee any size limitations on the Micro SD card i can use? or just try and find an 2GB one?

thanks!

get at least 4GB. when you load the image to it size wont matter, but generally anything under 4Gb or 8GB will not be a good Class 10+ card. like i said, an 8GB class 10 should only knock you back $10-20 and will be a much better build quality.  (With the Bitfury i got about 25 reboots on one card before it failed and the other identical card only made it through about ten, and then seemed to get corrupted almost anytime the power was turned off without ending the hashing process first.

You can probably re-image the card thats in there now (might be worth trying this first), but if it is an SD issue then the real solution is a higher-end SD card that is not as succeptible to read/write errors
legendary
Mine was up and running, but i rebooted the S2 to see if it would accept some changes and now i have a blank blue led screen with a red light in the top right corner...it was wrorking fine a few hours ago.

do a full power cycle with a few seconds to cool down and let the fans come to a stop. check if the SD and boards are all seated well.

ps: one of the biggest issues with bitfury was that when using low-grade (class 8 or less) SD cards, the raspberri pi had a terrible habit of always sending readéwrites to it that could cause corrupted files if the unit reboot or shut down unexpectedly. It is entirely possible that the SD card in a BBB can do the same if powered off without any shutdown or halt command.  If you can`t figure out the issue still, go and buy a high-quality SD card (microSD?) that is class 10 or better and load it up with the firmware to try that

if the result is the same, it at least rules out the SD card, which i otherwise imagine is a weak link

sounds more and more like my above scenario. Go out and buy a high-end 4GB or 8GB card. it should cost you less than $15 and is a likely source of the issue

thanks!
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
FYI I heard back from Bitmain - nice fast customer service.  A few relevant points:  (1) They are standing behind the products, and they promised to refund my trashed unit immediately (we will see how quickly that really happens, but hopeful), (2) they are letting me try to salvage Unit 1 from the control board in Unit 2 without voiding warranty (this was pursuant to authorization so maybe not a universal permission), and (3) they said that BATCH 2 units have a fix for the weak mounting of the boards, which they are aware of.

Thank. God.  Now I don't feel too bad about getting a batch 2 ;P
Activity: 262
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
does the OS run off the SD card? I a not familiar with the Raspberry Pi?

or does it just flash it to the Pi unit?
It's a Beaglebone Black, but not a stock one. The onboard eMMC is missing, so I don't believe there's anything to flash the SD to.
legendary
All I did was reboot Sad
Its a sad day when  your miner is working at 1+ TH/s and then you reboot it, and its dead
legendary
also is there a size limit on the SD card i can use in this S2? it came with a 2GB micro SD card, but am thinking to take that out and not mess with it, and buy a new one to test with, but do i need a 2GB or does that not matter?

Also does it run the OS off the Micro SD card or the Pi itself? and the card is merely for memory storage and setttings?
legendary
does the OS run off the SD card? I a not familiar with the Raspberry Pi?

or does it just flash it to the Pi unit?
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Owner, Minersource.net
Does anyone have any links to how I'd go about building a new SD card with that firmware, or even better just an image of the SD card?

I will grab images of the SD cards from the ones I have.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Does anyone have any links to how I'd go about building a new SD card with that firmware, or even better just an image of the SD card?
legendary
The reset button does nothing if you have a blank blue led screen and a red light on front panel.

Jump to: