Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 183. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
My order was suppose to be delivered today but it seems it will now be delivered on Monday... I really hope someone can write up a review / how to set-up guide.

I will sit-back takes notes as Monday is going to be a long day...
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

where did this come from?
and how do you install it if you cant access the miner?
Eh? That's the official Ant git - you never read the AntS1 manual?
Anyway yeah it's only the initrd file.
I managed to build an SD with that file ... and it boots with IP 192.168.1.100 user root/pass admin

... I don't have an S2 though ... Tongue

Edit: well ... I looked at the web page and sigh - still no way to add cgminer options from that page Tongue
However it allows you to set this option:
Stop running when temprerature is over 80℃

I wonder what they did there ... my temp management code I wrote for the S1 seemed pretty good actually - no shutting down - simply delaying work between sends until the temp dropped.
Curious (if anyone ever gets the source) what they did there.

Edit2: OK so at a guess ... that initrd they provide is simply written to the SD card in place of the initrd already on there - so it acts like a 'firmware'
- in the System/Upgrade web menu
legendary
Activity: 2742
Merit: 1181

where did this come from?
and how do you install it if you cant access the miner?
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
which must the diff per worker at 1000gh?

1024 or more? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
legendary
legendary
any luck with uploading that image?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Even if you are lucky to have received a working S2, can you be confident that there is no fire hazard?
I'd be monitoring it for at least the first ten hours.
Later I'd consider turning it off when I'm not at home. If it'd be turned on at night, I'd definitively have a smoke detector in the same room as the S2 and made sure it's loud enough to wake me up.
You don't think Bitmain has tested these things for at least 48hrs before shipping them out? They've had these for weeks, if not months already... personally I wouldn't worry.
Well, since so many S2's have been damaged in shipment, you don't know the extent of loose cables etc.
But, what the heck, if you're willing to risk burning down your house, that's your decision.  Cheesy
Obviously one would check for loose cables and boards, but if it's not seriously damaged then there's not much that can go wrong. The PSU will have safety switches to trip if there's a short and if it's serious it'll probably not even power on. It's not that I'm willing to risk burning down my house, I'm just not prone to unwarranted FUD.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Even if you are lucky to have received a working S2, can you be confident that there is no fire hazard?
Later I'd consider turning it off when I'm not at home. If it'd be turned on at night, I'd definitively have a smoke detector in the same room as the S2 and made sure it's loud enough to wake me up.
You don't think Bitmain has tested these things for at least 48hrs before shipping them out? They've had these for weeks, if not months already... personally I wouldn't worry.

Well, since so many S2's have been damaged in shipment, you don't know the extent of loose cables etc.
But, what the heck, if you're willing to risk burning down your house, that's your decision.  Cheesy
legendary
can someone upload a working backup so i can reflash?

I am dumping the SD image right now, will compress/upload when completed.
I got one from a distributor but I've not tested it yet ... working on that now.
Activity: 386
Merit: 250

Thank you Sir.  I don't have an S2, but I'm curious and would like to download it...  I also have a raspberry pi that I haven't powered up in a while. 

Activity: 896
I always thought the S2 would look like the S1. I guess im wrong.

Anyone whose S2 is working? How's the ventilation of it?
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Activity: 386
thanks, and how do i get it on the system if i cant access it at alll....remove the sd card? and copy onto it?

I recommend that you don't touch the factory SD card.  Buy a new one and use that to flash the image.  It has to be an image copy as it's a bootable image.

ZiG
Activity: 406

Hey buddy...Just sent it to me...I will watch it 24/7... Wink
legendary
thanks, and how do i get it on the system if i cant access it at alll....remove the sd card? and copy onto it?
Activity: 434

legendary
legendary
does anyone have any idea why it wont start up again after a reboot?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Damn, such a bummer to see how some of the units are arriving... looks like UPS is training a juggling school at the same time as doing deliveries  Grin

I wouldn't put all the damage down to UPS though, this unit has a lot more mass than the S1 and therefore more inertia when being transported so one would expect some padding for the boards inside the case. It's possible to do serious damage to the components inside with a little shaking of the box which wouldn't leave any traces on the outside of box itself (serious turbulence could do that). I do remember seeing some KNC units that had the same problem and needed to be opened and checked before they would run.

I just hope they sort these issues before shipping batch 2 out on Monday Wink
Jump to: