Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 185. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

did you change the ping address in /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh ?

I did, it wouldn't hash at all until I did that.  I've changed it to my router IP and even removed it.  Both result in the same behavior and it's overwritten on a reboot, of course.  
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
8 of the 11 cards were not seated properly.   Shocked

However, after re-seating, there is still no display and no lights on my router from the Ethernet connection.

I've already done a second pass at re-seating, and the internal Ethernet and ribbon cable are connected fine...any other ideas?

Since the display isn't lit, does that suggest a power terminal isn't connected or that the main board is fried?   Huh

At least the fans make an impressive sound.   Cry

I got my S2 today.  

However, the display does not light up.  Although the fans do turn on and I can see red lights inside it.  

Also, the Ethernet is not detected by my router.

So the consensus is that I should open it up and see if anything needs to be reseated?  Will this void the warranty?

Thanks!
Volgon

Check that all cards and cables are seated properly. 

check lights on controller's ethernet port
Activity: 26
8 of the 11 cards were not seated properly.   Shocked

However, after re-seating, there is still no display and no lights on my router from the Ethernet connection.

I've already done a second pass at re-seating, and the internal Ethernet and ribbon cable are connected fine...any other ideas?

Since the display isn't lit, does that suggest a power terminal isn't connected or that the main board is fried?   Huh

At least the fans make an impressive sound.   Cry

I got my S2 today.  

However, the display does not light up.  Although the fans do turn on and I can see red lights inside it.  

Also, the Ethernet is not detected by my router.

So the consensus is that I should open it up and see if anything needs to be reseated?  Will this void the warranty?

Thanks!
Volgon

Check that all cards and cables are seated properly. 
Activity: 37
I cane believe they didnt put a bracket in between the boards for shipping....

So whats going to happen to those poor people who's packages are damaged in transit ? Do Bitmain insure their shipments or are the owners bad out of luck ? Ive got a batch 2 comming all the way to Australia so im extremely nervous...
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I thought the 'hash for a while then stop and beep' issue might be power related so I removed a blade and started it back up.  It ran for a while and started beeping again--so that doesn't seem to be the issue. 

If you ssh in and type '/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh stop' followed by '/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh start', it starts right back up with mining.  Is anyone using 192.168.1.x and having this issue?  Or not using that subnet but also not having the issue?

Really frustrating to have a miner that only mines for a few minutes then stops and beeps.   

did you change the ping address in /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh ?
Activity: 434
You guys should really not even try powering up one of these beasts without opening up the box and reseating all cards and connectors. Some things are just bound to shake loose after traveling halfway around the world, no matter how great the QC or packing. Applying power to a system with loose boards and/or cables can cause shorts that may blow out cards or the power supply. You should also tighten up all screws and make sure loose hardware hasn't fallen onto (or into) any electronics. The S1 is/was so successful powering up because of its simplicity, everything is screwed together except for three small ribbon cables.

Design flaw. There should be a bracket holding the boards in place, especially for something you're going to ship by design.

Nevertheless what you say is true.

Multiple design flaws and seemingly non-existent QC. Pretty sketchy/clownish effort overall (did you see the 'machining' of the heat sinks!?). Bitmain isn't alone: the dragon miner I opened yesterday had its own share of ridiculous issues.

tbh, i'm not too worried about it.  it's their first go around at doing a design like this and shipping it halfway around the globe.  A bit of tweaking here and there I don't mind.  This isn't something that will really need to be around for more than several months. 

Personally I'm tired of fixing half-assed hw/fw - and not getting any support from the manufacturers in doing so (no source, no schematics, no eng contacts).
Activity: 42
I thought the 'hash for a while then stop and beep' issue might be power related so I removed a blade and started it back up.  It ran for a while and started beeping again--so that doesn't seem to be the issue. 

If you ssh in and type '/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh stop' followed by '/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh start', it starts right back up with mining.  Is anyone using 192.168.1.x and having this issue?  Or not using that subnet but also not having the issue?

Really frustrating to have a miner that only mines for a few minutes then stops and beeps.   
i keep getting "invalid password" wen trying to change the default one.

Does anyone know why or if there are certain requirements for the password?

i gave up trying to change it.  just use the given one.  the worst that someone can do is "hack" into your miner.
legendary
Activity: 2742
Merit: 1181
i keep getting "invalid password" wen trying to change the default one.

Does anyone know why or if there are certain requirements for the password?
You guys should really not even try powering up one of these beasts without opening up the box and reseating all cards and connectors. Some things are just bound to shake loose after traveling halfway around the world, no matter how great the QC or packing. Applying power to a system with loose boards and/or cables can cause shorts that may blow out cards or the power supply. You should also tighten up all screws and make sure loose hardware hasn't fallen onto (or into) any electronics. The S1 is/was so successful powering up because of its simplicity, everything is screwed together except for three small ribbon cables.

Design flaw. There should be a bracket holding the boards in place, especially for something you're going to ship by design.

Multiple design flaws and seemingly non-existent QC. Pretty sketchy/clownish effort overall (did you see the 'machining' of the heat sinks!?). Bitmain isn't alone: the dragon miner I opened yesterday had its own share of ridiculous issues.

tbh, i'm not too worried about it.  it's their first go around at doing a design like this and shipping it halfway around the globe.  A bit of tweaking here and there I don't mind.  This isn't something that will really need to be around for more than several months. 
I'm trying to figure out why my display is dead.  I've found the file that's created to display (/tmp/lcd.data)

Mine contains the:

Code:
AntMiner S2
1015.62 GH/s
Max 55

that's supposed to be displayed on the screen.  Any ideas what throws it up on the screen?
Activity: 434

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Just need to fill the insides with packing peanuts!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

legendary
Can someone with a known good unit grab an image of their SD card and post it up to download?

wow, I didn't even notice that it had an SD card in it. I'm used to the KNC units that store everything on the BBB's memory, no SD card needed. If no one else gets to it, I'll do it tomorrow
legendary
Merit: 1004
Can someone with a known good unit grab an image of their SD card and post it up to download?
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
good to see all the old vets are back into mining

Cheesy

Sadly i didnt have a chance to get some S2 Sad
legendary
Activity: 1876

I had 2, had to re seat the boards...

definitely open the case and seat all the boards at minimum.
Jump to: