Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 186. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Yikes.  i have 3 arriving tomorrow.  So, is it just squeaky wheels who are posting slaughterhouse pictures of their s2's, or are almost ALL of them in some state of being smashed to bits upon arrival.

I don't have a sense for how many S2's were in batch 1, but i assume most people receiving them today also are at least readers of this thread.  So can some people who received their's in good, working order please post to put my mind at ease!

lets hear from some more people with working S2's!

who's got the most so far?  sure like to hear from someone with 10+.

not gonna sleep well tonight...

3 today, all of which would not power on out of the box, had to open it up and put it back together. 4 arrive tomorrow and 5 more when UPS decides that the value to weight ratio is okay. Sitting in China right now.
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
Yikes.  i have 3 arriving tomorrow.  So, is it just squeaky wheels who are posting slaughterhouse pictures of their s2's, or are almost ALL of them in some state of being smashed to bits upon arrival.

I don't have a sense for how many S2's were in batch 1, but i assume most people receiving them today also are at least readers of this thread.  So can some people who received their's in good, working order please post to put my mind at ease!

lets hear from some more people with working S2's!

who's got the most so far?  sure like to hear from someone with 10+.

not gonna sleep well tonight...
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I got my S2 today.  

However, the display does not light up.  Although the fans do turn on and I can see red lights inside it.  

Also, the Ethernet is not detected by my router.

So the consensus is that I should open it up and see if anything needs to be reseated?  Will this void the warranty?

Thanks!
Volgon
Idle 1TH/s or risk voiding warranty ... tough choice Cheesy
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
I got my S2 today.  

However, the display does not light up.  Although the fans do turn on and I can see red lights inside it.  

So the consensus is that I should open it up and see if anything needs to be reseated?  Will this void the warranty?

Thanks!
Volgon

Check that all cards and cables are seated properly. 
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
I got my S2 today.  

Thanks!
Volgon
vip
Activity: 1358
AKA: gigavps
Looks like the driver for the S2 is doing some not so fun stuff including:

• Not reporting the "Best Share"
  • Allowing bad work to be submitted resulting in a 50% rejected rate

Even with the reject rate, the miner seems to be running 1000Gh/s.

Code:
{"STATUS":[{"STATUS":"S","When":946709845,"Code":11,"Msg":"Summary","Description":"cgminer 3.12.0"}],"SUMMARY":[{"Elapsed":20172,"GHS 5s":1025.33,"GHS av":1002.80,"Found Blocks":0,"Getworks":746,"Accepted":5504,"Rejected":5628,"Hardware Errors":7826,"Utility":16.37,"Discarded":292091,"Stale":0,"Get Failures":0,"Local Work":5702949,"Remote Failures":0,"Network Blocks":51,"Total MH":20228054713.9017,"Work Utility":14008.89,"Difficulty Accepted":4703688.22631836,"Difficulty Rejected":5025139.32128906,"Difficulty Stale":0.00000000,"Best Share":0,"Device Hardware%":0.1659,"Device Rejected%":106.6974,"Pool Rejected%":51.6521,"Pool Stale%":0.0000,"Last getwork":946709843}],"id":1}
Activity: 81
Had the wrong tracking number at first, but now have the correct one and my 1 S2 will be here tomorrow (likely late afternoon) due to a UPS error that got it rescheduled for the next day.

Guess the first thing I do will be opening and checking the insides. Undecided
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Since a few people have said 'RPi' ... I'll point out (though it's obvous from the last set of pictures) it's a Beagle Bone Black.

So there's no real "Reset" as such.
In the same way as your desktop doesn't have a "Reset", just a reboot.

Though you can pull out the SD and reflash it.

Edit: 2 things:

1) So it would be advisable to make a copy of the SD now and then if you need to reflash it later you can.

2) If someone could compress that and upload it somewhere would be good.
We've still not got any cgminer source code anywhere so I'd like to look around and see if they put it on there.
legendary
ssh login is root/admin

/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh is hardcoded to ping 192.168.1.1 for some reason.  I changed that to my gateway ip.

I tried entering a static IP to see if that made any difference, it didn't.  Changing the IP in cgminer.sh does get it hashing.  

I was getting about 90% hashrate so I opened it up and realized one card wasn't hashing, tried reseating it and then switching it with another--the issue followed the port and not the card.  Finally, I reseated everything and it's all working.  The other issue I had was that the ethernet cable wasn't fully connected to the port inside.  Lots of random little issues!

Now I am also getting the hashing for a while then beeping.  

Yup, same issues here, all 3 machines the controller was completely unseated, two had the ribbon cable pulled out, one had the ethernet disconnected. And one has a bad power supply.
Activity: 434
Merit: 254
Wish I had one to help, but with guys like atadro buying 6 there weren't many to go around.  Being first has its drawbacks, good luck guys, I hope you get it figured out.

You can say that again.  Both of my 2 units are totally fubar'd.  Unit 1 had the Raspberry Pi board popped out of the bus, and several cards were out of their slots, but even after re-seating it (and checking all connections), I can't get any connection to the unit.  The LCD display lights up but there is nothing displayed, and the green light on the LCD never comes on.  The ethernet port seems connected to the switch (switch shows active connection), but 192.168.1.99 cannot be accessed at all via SSH or http or even ping.  Dead for all intents and purposes as far as I can tell.

Unit 2 was a great example of total lack of QC (or else the unit was put in a washing machine and run through the "shake it up and spin" cycle).  Check out the pics below.  I haven't even tried to repair, as the bus connections are so bad (and many are loose) that it is impossible to seat all the boards and even if I could seat them, they would be under great strain.  I can't believe they shipped something like this and I can't believe that shipping damage would be to blame for this one.

UNIT 1 picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/by36y8x5kf1kisv/IMG_20140403_195015.jpg

UNIT 2 pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cintq9xlzazjauy/IMG_20140403_200530.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qai8pvbt9g8674t/IMG_20140403_200536.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s2c1bnes5w3u2c/IMG_20140403_200617.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuk1u5gcr5co6ie/IMG_20140403_201159.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bheoedm33c0l98h/IMG_20140403_201227.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0okif3v7horbqy/IMG_20140403_201650.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1skmn5p9k7rpjz/IMG_20140403_201704.jpg

It could be shipping damage, except that the boxes arrived in perfect condition, not a scratch or ding to indicate rough handling.

I guess I will find out soon enough whether bitmaintech stands behind its products or not.  
legendary
Activity: 2742
Merit: 1181
what did you guys do who received the wrong plug? just use a different standard one in its place?

The one I got is for the UK i think and I a in the US.

thanks!

Did anyone else have this issue in the USA? ok to use standard PSU plug?

thanks!
Activity: 42
ssh login is root/admin

/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh is hardcoded to ping 192.168.1.1 for some reason.  I changed that to my gateway ip.

I tried entering a static IP to see if that made any difference, it didn't.  Changing the IP in cgminer.sh does get it hashing.  

I was getting about 90% hashrate so I opened it up and realized one card wasn't hashing, tried reseating it and then switching it with another--the issue followed the port and not the card.  Finally, I reseated everything and it's all working.  The other issue I had was that the ethernet cable wasn't fully connected to the port inside.  Lots of random little issues!

Now I am also getting the hashing for a while then beeping.  
Activity: 39
Dumb UPS. Last night routed my package from Alaska to Kentucky and I am in California. Delayed 1 extra day. Was ready to un-box today.
I live in Alaska and they arrive in Anchorage from China in the afternoon, then get sent to California, and back to Anchorage overnight, to be delivered to me the next day.  I just received notification that there's been a flight delay and my latest S1 is in Anchorage and will be delayed.  And I'm thinking why not just send it down here then and have it arrive tomorrow as expected, can't you read the address?

I have the exact same issue as you pal.. the bad thing is this would delay the original Friday delivery til Monday and not Saturday since UPS Worldwide Express Saver doesnt have a Saturday delivery.
I think the reason why they go to CA is for customs release.. UPS hub at Anchorage doesn't have customs release.. just a guess
Activity: 386
Merit: 250
Well, mine won't connect at 192.168.1.99, and according to an IP scan there's nothing from 1.1 to 2.254
My laptop detects the board and the lights on the BBB work, so it doesn't appear to be a hardware error.
Did anyone else get a unit with a different IP?
Smiley
If you have a linux device on the network when it boots:
sudo tcpdump -n -nn -l -i any arp
I don't have a portable one, but I do have wireshark.

All I get is a bunch of requests from my IP for the gateway.

Is there a "reset to factory" button like the one from S1?  If it's a raspberry pi, I'd take out the SD card and try to mount it on my laptop, copy some files from it to backup.  I'd also want to back it up (as it is from factory) to another SD card.  I don't know what options are available...

Sounds like a much more flexible device than the S1...

legendary
Activity: 2742
Merit: 1181
what did you guys do who received the wrong plug? just use a different standard one in its place?

The one I got is for the UK i think and I a in the US.

thanks!
Activity: 74
I think overclocking is going to be extremely limited, with four TPS53355 per board, or one for 16 chips. On the S1, it's one for 8 chips.

Thats the detail I've been waiting for Smiley   *really hoping for a PCB photo still*

The S1 could consume around 45W per group of 8 chips overclocked (overclocking pushed the regulator right to its limits, but the real limiting factor was the voltage being set to 1.1V - some people have apparently pencil-modded the S1 to almost 215GH/~470W, or about 60w/8 chips)  
45W/1.1V=40.9A on a 30A-rated component. (bitfury h-boards faced very similar amperage limits when overvolted around 0.95V)

Its likely these chips run at around 0.8V and 1000W/640chips is about 25W per cluster of 16.  That leaves a LOT of headroom on the regulators, but some of this is lost to the difference in voltage (more amperage).  25W/0.8V= 31.25A stock.

Presumably these should be able to overclock without any issues from the regulator. I imagine all other components are beefy enough also. I imagine you will hit hardware errors at 15-20% overclock as with the S1. These may even be capable of up to 1.5TH is voltage was increased to ~0.9V
0.75V unloaded, so a little higher than that on the current. Still some room and I'd expect people should be able to get 20-40% overclocks, but not the 100+% ones we might have been able to do with 8 chips per vrm.

I'm quite sure those puny heatsinks will not be enough when overclocked, 200Mhz+ will fry the chips unless some hefty cooling is applied!
If you want to overclock the BM chip, the S1 was made just for that!!

thats a losing attitude - anything can overclock!

If it's running at 57 degrees @193MHz there's not much headroom!!
legendary
Merit: 1004
Well, mine won't connect at 192.168.1.99, and according to an IP scan there's nothing from 1.1 to 2.254
My laptop detects the board and the lights on the BBB work, so it doesn't appear to be a hardware error.
Did anyone else get a unit with a different IP?
Smiley
If you have a linux device on the network when it boots:
sudo tcpdump -n -nn -l -i any arp
I don't have a portable one, but I do have wireshark.

All I get is a bunch of requests from my IP for the gateway.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
I think overclocking is going to be extremely limited, with four TPS53355 per board, or one for 16 chips. On the S1, it's one for 8 chips.

Thats the detail I've been waiting for Smiley   *really hoping for a PCB photo still*

The S1 could consume around 45W per group of 8 chips overclocked (overclocking pushed the regulator right to its limits, but the real limiting factor was the voltage being set to 1.1V - some people have apparently pencil-modded the S1 to almost 215GH/~470W, or about 60w/8 chips)  
45W/1.1V=40.9A on a 30A-rated component. (bitfury h-boards faced very similar amperage limits when overvolted around 0.95V)

Its likely these chips run at around 0.8V and 1000W/640chips is about 25W per cluster of 16.  That leaves a LOT of headroom on the regulators, but some of this is lost to the difference in voltage (more amperage).  25W/0.8V= 31.25A stock.

Presumably these should be able to overclock without any issues from the regulator. I imagine all other components are beefy enough also. I imagine you will hit hardware errors at 15-20% overclock as with the S1. These may even be capable of up to 1.5TH is voltage was increased to ~0.9V
0.75V unloaded, so a little higher than that on the current. Still some room and I'd expect people should be able to get 20-40% overclocks, but not the 100+% ones we might have been able to do with 8 chips per vrm.

I'm quite sure those puny heatsinks will not be enough when overclocked, 200Mhz+ will fry the chips unless some hefty cooling is applied!

thats a losing attitude - anything can overclock!
Activity: 74

Jump to: