Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 19. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 379
Merit: 250
Bitmain,  any updates on the S2 upgrade option as discussed? A lot of us have paid a high amount of BTC/GHs for these, (at least I) with the understanding we will have options to increase hashing power very soon.

Grow the Fuck UP!..  he never said soon, in fact outside of complete speculation the S2 upgrade is a fantasy.
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
Smile while thinking.

Hey there PatMan, out of curiosity, what hashrate does your OC'ed S2 get?  I didn't overclock my S2's because I don't trust the builtin PSU and was wondering if it's worth changing it.

Thanks!

I'm getting ~950GH/s average. The hash rate is always slightly lower on p2pool, but it's worth it, luck has been crazy good lately. If I use it on a centralized pool I get ~1100GH/s using a slightly higher --queue size, but I found using 0 works best on my local node.

Peace  Smiley

EDIT: And yes, don't OC it with the standard PSU - it can't take it & you'll be waving bye-bye to it in no time  Wink

I just bought an EVGA 1300 (using it for 2 S1's for now) and thought trying it on one of my S2's + overclocking. I currently get around 990 GH/s on average on Eligius but I'm not sure if getting 1100 GH/s is worth the trouble. Still, always curious about tuning everything to get the max out of all. Smiley

Thanks for the info and peace!
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

Hey there PatMan, out of curiosity, what hashrate does your OC'ed S2 get?  I didn't overclock my S2's because I don't trust the builtin PSU and was wondering if it's worth changing it.

Thanks!

I'm getting ~950GH/s average. The hash rate is always slightly lower on p2pool, but it's worth it, luck has been crazy good lately. If I use it on a centralized pool I get ~1100GH/s using a slightly higher --queue size, but I found using 0 works best on my local node.

Peace  Smiley

EDIT: And yes, don't OC it with the standard PSU - it can't take it & you'll be waving bye-bye to it in no time  Wink
Activity: 237
Smile while thinking.
Is there a consensus on the best replacement PSU for the S2?   BOTH of mine conked out last night after a power outage.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Corsair AX1200...

I'm running my S2 OC'd & 212 on a OCZ1250 Gold - sweet as a nut  Smiley

Hey there PatMan, out of curiosity, what hashrate does your OC'ed S2 get?  I didn't overclock my S2's because I don't trust the builtin PSU and was wondering if it's worth changing it.

Thanks!
Activity: 924
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
Is there a consensus on the best replacement PSU for the S2?   BOTH of mine conked out last night after a power outage.

I'm running my S2 OC'd & 212 on a OCZ1250 Gold - sweet as a nut  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
S2 upgrades kit will come first.  Come on 2TH+.  Hopefully they price them more competitively than the S1 upgrade path  Roll Eyes

only BTC0.12 cheaper than buying an S3, only makes sense if you have a dead unit.
legendary
Activity: 3934
Merit: 2634
@Bitmain

Is a Antminer S4 in planning?

regards
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Mine "play dead" after power outage too.
But come to life, after I pull the U-shaped wire off the ATX plug for a minute or two.

Oh thanks for the tip!  I will try this when I get home.. hopefully that is all it is
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
einc.io

Better go for the EVGA G2 1300watt.
It is cheaper and all miners from different manufacturers also like the EVGA G2 1300 watt.
I replace the PSU's of Dragon 1T miners with EVGA G2 what I have left over from powering antminers S1 before and the Dragons loved them.
Activity: 254
Mine "play dead" after power outage too.
But come to life, after I pull the U-shaped wire off the ATX plug for a minute or two.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0

Activity: 379
Welcome to dogietalk.bs
Dear Community,

Our truly apologies for the mis-understanding reported in this Support Thread. We are very willing to share the cgminer code to the Community.
Just reviewed our internal resource again, there is a little mis-communicaton between Customer Service Team and R&D Department. We thought this task was done 3 weeks ago.. 
However, R&D Department is repacking the cgminer code and will upload it to GitHub.com in 3 hours.

Any advice from the Community and Global Customers is appreciated, feel free to contact us via PM or [email protected].

Thank you!

Cgminer 3.12.0 has been uploaded, https://github.com/bitmaintech/cgminer. The latest version will be updated in 2 weeks.

A belated thank you Bitmain - but as mentioned, uploading the code using outdated software with huge security holes is not the wisest solution. Please ensure that all repos (S1, S2, & S3(+)) contain the latest cgminer software that fix the security vulnerabilities - this is very important for both the miner & the network!

Thank you for listening to the community.
Activity: 686
WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C
I'm copying this from the Bitmain S3 discussion thread in the hope that Bitmain will do the right thing, abide by the law & respect ckolivas request to release their code as stipulated by the Open Source License Agreement:

I do wish the BITMAIN would publish the device driver details so that a current version of cgminer could be attained. I know at least 2 releases in 4 had notes about queue improvements and one at least specifically stated it generated work much faster. Also one of the last 3's had an improvement about how work was loaded into devices. I know for sure 3.12 is very old and I am positive that many work generation improvements have been added since then.

Exactly. I don't understand why they don't work more closely with the cgminer devs - using such an old miner for this equipment is false economy. There have been many improvements & optimixations since this cgminer release, not to mention a very important fix for work redirection by a third party.
Can we just SSH in to it and compile CGMiner to a newer version ?
One would assume that we have access to their modified code and driver for cgminer which the cgminer license stipulates, however they have ignored our requests for making that code available. I am considering what direction to take now about that license violation.

Indeed, I saw your post requesting access to the code - ignoring it seems a very strange course of action by Bitmain, especially since agreeing & cooperating would not only benefit everyone - but would also stay within the legally binding license terms.......

I hope they realize their error & do the right thing - as well as live up to their claim of supporting the Bitcoin community.

@ckolivas: Is there anything we, the community, can do to help? Maybe if we all started mailing them they will take notice?

Hmmmm.......Sorry to quote myself, but the more I think about this - the more it doesn't make any sense. in fact, it smells.

Apart from the obvious legal obligations pointed out by ckolivas, one of the hardest working & well respected Bitcoin community members there is, I find myself wondering why on earth Bitmain won't release their code - are they trying to hide something? I mean, the third party redirect fix was a very important update - why on earth would Bitmain not want to implement it? There are also a multitude of other fixes & improvements which Kano (where is he by the way?) listed in a previous post regarding the S2, but are still relevent:

Because:
1) The version in there throws away valid blocks on p2pool
2) The version in there doesn't block the recent stratum redirect problem
3) The version in there passes all shares to the pool even if they are below target (I'm sure pools must hate the S2 due to the major increase in CPU requirements at the pool)
4) The version in there has the API set to W:0/0 so anyone with network access can change your settings/pool/username (and the web page doesn't let you fix that)
5) The version in there has a modified API with different field names to the standard API so anyone using other software that reads the API must get that software changed (or use a proper API version of cgminer in the S2 Tongue)

By not cooperating with the cgminer devs request to release the code as they are legally bound to do - and not updating cgminer to incorporate the very important security fixes, Bitmain are not only breaking the law - but they are also arousing suspicion amongst the Bitcoin community as to why they are refusing to do so. For a company that claims to respect & care deeply for the Bitcoin community, this makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Before anyone starts breaking my balls accusing me of stirring things up trying to discredit Bitmain - I am a customer who has Bitmain hardware & am quite happy with it. I am merely pointing out the legally binding obligations Bitmain are ignoring, as well as trying to highlight the contempt that Bitmain are showing towards ckolivas & kano - without who, mining & Bitcoin would not be what it is today. We, as a community owe it to the cgminer devs to make sure that all hardware manufacturers respect their requests to release their code as stated in the open source license agreement. If they refuse - we should all be concerned as to the reasons why.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm a great believer in Open Source & what the cgminer devs have done, and continue to do. We owe them  Smiley
Activity: 518
Merit: 501
If you have to buy two kits that's .8 btc where you might only get .1 ROI...Hope they can do better for the S2 upgrade kit!
Activity: 336
Wow success  Wink
Bitmain released upgrade for S1.
Who knows they might do also for S2 soon. Lips sealed

Specifications:

Hash Rate: 453 GH/s±5% with great OC potential

Power Consumption: 355 Watt at the wall

Power Efficiency: 0.78 J/GH on wall

The price is 0.46 BTC.

It's a cool kit but VERY EXPENSIVE. I did some calculations at Bitcoin Wisdom and it will most likely make a tiny, tiny profit of 0.1 BTC or so.
And this is without taking into consideration that the S1 anyway would generate more than that if I leave it running underclocked and undervolted.

Will YOU buy the S1 Upgrade Kit? If so, what is your reasoning?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

And you have to buy at least 2 kits  Grin Grin Grin
I must say that it does seem like the S2's were rushed out to use up the old chips while they were already working on the S3, hence the stability issues that will probably never be addressed because now there's a better product out using newer chips.

The one thing that is bothering me the most is that Bitmain is doing their own thing with CGMiner and releases unstable hacked versions on their hardware with no support until Kano takes a look at it. It seems they are having the same issues with the S3 now and CK is getting a little annoyed with them.

I used to hold Bitmain in high esteem, but now I'm distancing myself from the idea that Bitmain is a professional business.

+1000

Everything changed from that meeting

With new friends:

Yingfei Li, Bitmain
Xiang Liao ("Jack"), lightningasic CEO
Alex Kampl, Allied Control

Not in the picture:
David Fan, Bitquan ("AM") General Manager
Rock Xie and Alex Lam of RockMiner

Had a great time.

Guy

Small debt, pictures with Rock Xie of RockMiner:

Coincident Huh

I say NO, that is because THEY have a deal Bitmain joined to "The Club" and can't decide by his own anymore  Sad
THEY probably have time schedules already arranged.

DECENTRALIZATION !!!  Grin
Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
I must say that it does seem like the S2's were rushed out to use up the old chips while they were already working on the S3, hence the stability issues that will probably never be addressed because now there's a better product out using newer chips.

The one thing that is bothering me the most is that Bitmain is doing their own thing with CGMiner and releases unstable hacked versions on their hardware with no support until Kano takes a look at it. It seems they are having the same issues with the S3 now and CK is getting a little annoyed with them.

I used to hold Bitmain in high esteem, but now I'm distancing myself from the idea that Bitmain is a professional business.
Right, guys let's be honest a lot of us don't want admit (that's embarrassing I know) but Spondoolies, Bitmain and others ripped us of.
I know this is Wild West Crypto World still and THEY know they can afford it but how long for yet ?
Someone MUST stop it.
My theory is THEY had those chips long, long time ago. THEY start selling when chips become not that profitable any-more otherwise why they selling ? THEY got huge bitcoin farms, well Bitmain has.
THEY probably already invented and mining with new ones.
Really guys I can not stand it, THEY not support Bitcoin network, they think just about their profits but what nasty way THEY do business ??
Honest business partner should think about future, before they start selling S3 they should start selling upgrade hasboards for S2.

If someone ask me, BITCOIN MINER never again Smiley

Yet YOU willingly gave them money.  They're a business, what do you expect?  I guess in reality none of them should retail sell HW, then people like YOU won't get sucked into the hype and buy HW without undersanding the business you're entering.

Sorry I called it business no that is not a business that is just a scam  Grin

dropt and you probably involved in resell of that shit if yes good for you at least you will be better of than we, but make sure not to use PayPal otherwise people will claim refunds  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1512
Right, guys let's be honest a lot of us don't want admit (that's embarrassing I know) but Spondoolies, Bitmain and others ripped us of.
I know this is Wild West Crypto World still and THEY know they can afford it but how long for yet ?
Someone MUST stop it.
My theory is THEY had those chips long, long time ago. THEY start selling when chips become not that profitable any-more otherwise why they selling ? THEY got huge bitcoin farms, well Bitmain has.
Really guys I can not stand it, THEY not support Bitcoin network, they think just about their profits but what nasty way THEY do business ??
Honest business partner should think about future, before they start selling S3 they should start selling upgrade hasboards for S2.

Yet YOU willingly gave them money.  They're a business, what do you expect?  I guess in reality none of them should retail sell HW, then people like YOU won't get sucked into the hype and buy HW without undersanding the business you're entering.
A short good news for the S2 buyer is that we will let the S2 to upgrade to 1.8TH/s or 2TH/s at very low cost which you can only image now in the August or September.
Well, are there any details (at least roughly) about this upgrade? What would it be and what will be the price?

roughly - too little, too late & too expensive

+1

Sorry I lost so much on S2 that for me that is nothing.
Is Bitmaintech still waiting Huh
Why ? What for ?
Don't know why everyone keep quiet ?
That is the biggest scam ever !
Imagine how many people lost their money that way.
Bitmaintech policy before meeting witch Spondoolies was no pre-ordes now everything changed they know how to deal with idiots as we  Wink

Bitmain what you waiting for !  Undecided

Yea if that upgrade doesn't come through and isn't affordable a lotta people will get burnt on the s2. I might get 4-5k outta my 8.5k investment at this point.

Someone MUST stop it.

Pages:
Jump to: