Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 20. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
A short good news for the S2 buyer is that we will let the S2 to upgrade to 1.8TH/s or 2TH/s at very low cost which you can only image now in the August or September.
Well, are there any details (at least roughly) about this upgrade? What would it be and what will be the price?

roughly - too little, too late & too expensive

+1

Sorry I lost so much on S2 that for me that is nothing.
Is Bitmaintech still waiting Huh
Why ? What for ?
Don't know why everyone keep quiet ?
That is the biggest scam ever !
Imagine how many people lost their money that way.
Bitmaintech policy before meeting witch Spondoolies was no pre-ordes now everything changed they know how to deal with idiots as we  Wink

Bitmain what you waiting for !  Undecided

Yea if that upgrade doesn't come through and isn't affordable a lotta people will get burnt on the s2. I might get 4-5k outta my 8.5k investment at this point.
Activity: 336
A short good news for the S2 buyer is that we will let the S2 to upgrade to 1.8TH/s or 2TH/s at very low cost which you can only image now in the August or September.
Well, are there any details (at least roughly) about this upgrade? What would it be and what will be the price?

roughly - too little, too late & too expensive

+1

Sorry I lost so much on S2 that for me that is nothing.
Is Bitmaintech still waiting Huh
Why ? What for ?
Don't know why everyone keep quiet ?
That is the biggest scam ever !
Imagine how many people lost their money that way.
Bitmaintech policy before meeting witch Spondoolies was no pre-ordes now everything changed they know how to deal with idiots as we  Wink

Bitmain what you waiting for !  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I am having some trouble with an S2 unit that I have had running.  It has been running perfectly at 1 TH/s since I got it, but after some installation of S3's last night, it is now showing problems.

The LCD on the unit says that it is hashing at 1 TH/s and it looks to be OK inside the unit.  Everything is flashing normally and looking OK, but the pool is only showing about 100 GH/s hitting it from the unit.  Does anyone know why the two might be showing this discrepancy?

Interesting, does S3 show 1300GH instead? Are both units on the same ethernet hub or connected independently?
I had a freak occurrence when I unplugged S2 that was on the independent power strip and S3 that was nearby (and on a DIFFERENT power strip) switched off, then back on.
This is weird, I know.
I think that this is because S3 has some wi-fi capability which might have some interaction with the router or they somehow had some interaction through the ethernet hub. Anyway, it was spooky, but I double checked the fact that the units were on different power strips.

Does that 900 mH go anywhere where you can detect it or is it just gone?

I haven't been able to find it at all.  Everything else connected to my pool is accounted for as each unit has a different worker name and everything else it running fine. (Besides one pesky S3 that I will have to spend some time trying to get running properly tonight).  I can't imagine that one is causing problems for the other as there are 10 S3's, 5 or so S1's and 2 S2's running in parallel down there and this is the only issue.

Perhaps, with a last miner you exceeded your downstream internet provider speed as you have so many. I assume that they are all on the same router.
Are they all on one hub or several? If several, maybe try mixing them up differently.

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1012
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive
I am having some trouble with an S2 unit that I have had running.  It has been running perfectly at 1 TH/s since I got it, but after some installation of S3's last night, it is now showing problems.

The LCD on the unit says that it is hashing at 1 TH/s and it looks to be OK inside the unit.  Everything is flashing normally and looking OK, but the pool is only showing about 100 GH/s hitting it from the unit.  Does anyone know why the two might be showing this discrepancy?

Interesting, does S3 show 1300GH instead? Are both units on the same ethernet hub or connected independently?
I had a freak occurrence when I unplugged S2 that was on the independent power strip and S3 that was nearby (and on a DIFFERENT power strip) switched off, then back on.
This is weird, I know.
I think that this is because S3 has some wi-fi capability which might have some interaction with the router or they somehow had some interaction through the ethernet hub. Anyway, it was spooky, but I double checked the fact that the units were on different power strips.

I haven't been able to find it at all.  Everything else connected to my pool is accounted for as each unit has a different worker name and everything else it running fine. (Besides one pesky S3 that I will have to spend some time trying to get running properly tonight).  I can't imagine that one is causing problems for the other as there are 10 S3's, 5 or so S1's and 2 S2's running in parallel down there and this is the only issue.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

This is weird, I know.

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1012
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
i used a half grain of rice size on each chip and smear it with the syringe tip, then smoosh the heatsink in a tiny circular motion with pressure to spread it (hopefully) in all directions using the holes to see where im going.

i started on a btach 3 today and while the paste was applied better it has dried to a flaky version of itself.

what do people think about replacing the stock heat sink with 64 perfect sized ones? (apart from needing 640 per rig)

i imagine the increased airflow would be awesome but also have no experience using these little ones... are they as efficient as, or more so than the stock lump?

Nice job, I have 2 cards 3-4 degrees over the others one is 56 already will try that.
Activity: 84
My S2 was working fine for a week in eligius, after a payment delay decide to try Ghash, coincidence or not the HW errors went to sky, any suggestion?

I figured it out. Put in on btcguild and see what happens.

btcguild will close in 3 or 4 month if the proposed regulations from the New York department of financial services are approved and no workaround. At least that is what it shows in the website news on July 19th.

Thanks! I haven't decided what to do with mine just yet... Want to wait and see what this upgrade will be.. Plus they should be profitable for a while..

But I pay $750 a month in hosting.. Which is really pissing me off. Looking for new hosting service if anyone knows.

Oh I meant to add... Can you look at putting them in a closed room with a fan exhaust dumping the heat out a window? Then buy a separate small AC unit for the room? That's what I would look into if I were to house my 5 miners at home...

Ouch. $750 per month - blimey.

1 S2 only mines $465.5 per month - I assume you have several in there. The thought of paying all that money for hosting though - seems wrong. Then again electricity costs, cooling costs - I suppose it's much of a muchness.

Yea I have 5. It's a tier 3 data center so has all the Bella and whistles. Thinkining if switching to a place that does it for 375 but it won't have uninterruptible power suph and things. Also a bit more down time. But half the cost so probably worth it.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Thanks! I haven't decided what to do with mine just yet... Want to wait and see what this upgrade will be.. Plus they should be profitable for a while..

But I pay $750 a month in hosting.. Which is really pissing me off. Looking for new hosting service if anyone knows.

Oh I meant to add... Can you look at putting them in a closed room with a fan exhaust dumping the heat out a window? Then buy a separate small AC unit for the room? That's what I would look into if I were to house my 5 miners at home...

Ouch. $750 per month - blimey.

1 S2 only mines $465.5 per month - I assume you have several in there. The thought of paying all that money for hosting though - seems wrong. Then again electricity costs, cooling costs - I suppose it's much of a muchness.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
i started on a btach 3 today and while the paste was applied better it has dried to a flaky version of itself.

what do people think about replacing the stock heat sink with 64 perfect sized ones? (apart from needing 640 per rig)

i imagine the increased airflow would be awesome but also have no experience using these little ones... are they as efficient as, or more so than the stock lump?
[/quote]

Are you hashing in Thailand?  Heat is definitely a problem there for miner rigs.
i used a half grain of rice size on each chip and smear it with the syringe tip, then smoosh the heatsink in a tiny circular motion with pressure to spread it (hopefully) in all directions using the holes to see where im going.

Not sure why all the issues with heat... But then again I have mine in a datacenter... Is it difficult to keep antminer s2 cool in a regular house?

This would be good info to know before I ever decide to ship them to my home.

Mine started to randomly shutdown when they went over 55 degrees C when we had really hot weather recently. Normally they run at around 49% for me - UK - so 6 degrees to play with is not much really. I drafted in extra large fans which kept them below 55 (just about). Plus they are quite loud to have in your home.

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Not sure why all the issues with heat... But then again I have mine in a datacenter... Is it difficult to keep antminer s2 cool in a regular house?

Mine started to randomly shutdown when they went over 55 degrees C when we had really hot weather recently. Normally they run at around 49% for me - UK - so 6 degrees to play with is not much really. I drafted in extra large fans which kept them below 55 (just about). Plus they are quite loud to have in your home.

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
Bitmain should talk to the Ketchsup gun makers for McDonalds, I bet the results would improve. I could have reduced their operating time applying paste by just handing them a couple low knap paint rollers.
Activity: 64
i just finished pulling the heatsink on one card and taking pictures of the poor thermal paste job.  not going to bother posting them now.  wow, some of those are a joke!  mine had a couple of chips without paste.  some of yours have a couple with paste.....

can you post what you feel is the ideal amount of paste?

i used one 4ml tube of paste for one board.  little dab on each chip.  hope it's enough.

will reinstall tomorrow.

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001
imgs as promised;

actually forgot 2 pics and 1st image is from an older RMA worthy board.

img album... http://imgur.com/a/OZeA4#7
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
I'm guessing that 8 cards may need a slightly bigger PSU
They have answered me via e-mail that recommended PSU is Enermax 1050W 80 Plus Gold for this upgrade.
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
lets discuss...

doubtful its 'just' a firmware update

much more likely is 28nm chips on new boards

knowing the chips rough ability in the S3, how many chips would be needed to arrive at '1.8-2TH/s' - or are we waiting on a 2nd batch of better chips??

considering some S2's currently hash around 1.0-1.1TH/s its not a huge increase for swapping out boards, that wont be cheap for the initial month or more

starting to see S2's for sale and wonder if these people are just upgrading to 28nm S3's or have calc'd that the upgrade wont really be worth it by the time it arrives.

etc

I've went over this a few times in my head... Here is a rough concept, let's say the kit is 8 cards would be around 1.8 TH/s I personally could live with that.. I'm guessing that 8 cards may need a slightly bigger PSU, I've not did the math on that part due to the fact that it's all a guess.. 8 S3 blades would do the trick, and it allow slightly better air flow. Honestly bitmain should have designed the s3 blade to be totally interchangeable with the s1 and s2, that would have drove down production and tooling costs in the long run.... I guess time will tell.
Pages:
Jump to: